Re: MATCHWATCH : Middlesbrough (a) sponsored by a Simon Cox chip

by RichTea94 » 14 Sep 2019 16:59

Think we'll be OK once we know who our best front two is

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Sep 2019 17:00

From Despair To Where?
sandman Anyone else getting the feeling that whilst Gomes was the one to bring back some positivity to the club he may not be the one to take it to the next stage?

Depends on what your ambitions for this season are. Anyone who thinks we should be challenging top 6 is a bit naive IMO but we have enough about us to be in no real danger of relegation and fairly comfortably mid table, which given the last 2 seasons, is progress.

This is still a side that has only played 5 games together and we are missing a key piece if our defence.

Depends on what the owners ambitions are and I think that their expectations and those of mine and yours may be different.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 17:02

As with Hull a game we should not have lost but did lose. Just seven points from seven games is a poor start to the season. Puscas again misses a big chance. He certainly cannot be accused of being a clinical finisher.

Expect a small gate v Blackburn next Saturday.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 14 Sep 2019 17:03

We're not going to go down but no way Gomes takes us up. Ever.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 14 Sep 2019 17:03

I think the last couple of results adds a dose of reality to our season, I don't think we'll be in a relegation scrap but it's perhaps too soon to talk about promotion. I missed most of the game due to a family event but it seems like we were unlucky to lose but that's the way it can go sometimes.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 17:04

Gomes needs to stop talking about how many points below our two points per game target we are. We have lost four of our first seven. It’s deluded to target 92 points for the season
Last edited by Zip on 14 Sep 2019 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Sep 2019 17:04

Zip As with Hull a game we should not have lost but did lose. Just seven points from seven games is a poor start to the season. Puscas again misses a big chance. He certainly cannot be accused of being a clinical finisher.

Yep. Particularly concerned that we’ve lost every game after conceding first in the league

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 14 Sep 2019 17:06

Goals win points.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2019 17:06

Hound
Zip As with Hull a game we should not have lost but did lose. Just seven points from seven games is a poor start to the season. Puscas again misses a big chance. He certainly cannot be accused of being a clinical finisher.

Yep. Particularly concerned that we’ve lost every game after conceding first in the league

When was the last time we came from behind to win a league game? damned if i remember it.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 17:07

Hound

It’s a huge problem. Look at West Brom in comparison. I’m not getting the hype for Puscas either.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 14 Sep 2019 17:08

Sutekh How many times has the phrase Boye’s given it away been heard?

Sounds an awful game between two pretty awful sides.

With the games coming up, Reading could well be bottom 3 by the next international break.

Assume you're listening on the radio as that game was actually incredibly entertaining. They got their goal and looked to sit back and hit us on the counter. We then had chance after chance with thier keeper pulling off at least 3 incredible saves and the game being completely end to end. Boye is very frustrating as is Joao but still we looked pretty good.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Sep 2019 17:09

Zip
Hound

It’s a huge problem. Look at West Brom in comparison. I’m not getting the hype for Puscas either.

Couple of well taken goals against Cardiff and that's it. If a player like Meite had missed some of the chances Puscas has in the last few games he'd have been criticised non stop by many.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 14 Sep 2019 17:09

windermereROYAL
Hound

When was the last time we came from behind to win a league game? damned if i remember it.

Didn't we numerous times at the end of last season?

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 14 Sep 2019 17:10

sandman
Zip
Hound

Couple of well taken goals against Cardiff and that's it. If a player like Meite had missed some of the chances Puscas has in the last few games he'd have been criticised non stop by many.

Tbf the chance today I wouldn't say was an absolute sitter. You'd expect him to hit the target mind.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 17:11

sandman
Zip
Hound

Yep. Let’s start hyping him when he is burying his chances,

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Sep 2019 17:14

Zip
Hound

Puscas was superb against Cardiff but agree that he has flattered to deceive in most the others, missing some good chances in the others. But he's a clever striker and ought to be playing

The reality is there's no chance of us winning or even scoring with 0 strikers on the pitch. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing Baldock frozen out. Meite and Boye must be up there with the weakest strike partnership in the league. Boye isn't a natural striker, and Meite is appalling

There's going to be a hell of a lot of pressure next week because we play 5 of the top 7 after Blackburn

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Sep 2019 17:15

Jagermesiter1871
windermereROYAL
Hound

Nope. Just Wigan where Meite scored deep into injury time for a 3-2 win after we were 2-1 down.
Last edited by Zip on 14 Sep 2019 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 14 Sep 2019 17:16

This football club is just so aggravating

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Sep 2019 17:19

Reading are work in progress. There is a team there struggling to get out. Think JG is still trying to work out what his best team is but today was probably not helped by the disruption of the irritating international breaks and the travelling some players had to do around that (eg Pele wasn’t back until late Thursday and then the squad then has the longest league journey of the season). Not that that is an excuse really but it can’t really help things when you are in the early stages of trying to put a consistent team together.

More than anything I think for supporters at the moment is the frustration that you either get a team that does manage to get out and look top quality in the process or you get the same tripe of the last couple of seasons. Target this season is to get a lot more of the former and a lot less of the latter and get to the top half of the table in the process. But at least there is something there to be hopeful about.

It’s also not helped by what came across as another poor refereeing display.
Last edited by Sutekh on 14 Sep 2019 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 14 Sep 2019 17:19

Jagermesiter1871
windermereROYAL
Hound

Wigan yes,