GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2019 09:29

Hound I’d see it Alex Neil fancied moving somewhere a bit warmer and less wet tbh

But yeah Ainsworth or Hughton would be good

Yeah Alex Neil would be a good shout. He's got something about him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2019 10:04

Hughton top
Ainsworth, Parkinson, Neil good
Hughes tolerable

O'Shea, anyone on first job or mixed performance in one or two or with a long track record of failure GTFO.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Oct 2019 13:07

Why on earth would Alex Neil come to us considering he rejected West Brom :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2019 13:09

URZZZZ Why on earth would Alex Neil come to us considering he rejected West Brom :lol:

Who said he would? It was a list of people that would be wanted by us.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Oct 2019 13:12

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Why on earth would Alex Neil come to us considering he rejected West Brom :lol:

It’s just nonsense isn’t it. I want Klopp in charge, about as likely

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2019 13:14

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

Wouldn't say its likely he'd come but I don't think we'd just be dismissed out of hand. On paper we have a good squad, good facilities, rich ownership and he would come in at a point where things can't get much worse so no pressure.

Bigger stumbling block would be us paying the compensation, imagine it would be a good few million.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 04 Oct 2019 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2019 13:46

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews

I didn’t realise he did tbh

Was solely on the expectation we’d pay him considerably more than PNE are

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Oct 2019 14:10

Hound
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews Who said he would? It was a list of people that would be wanted by us.

I didn’t realise he did tbh

Was solely on the expectation we’d pay him considerably more than PNE are

Even so, he’s built a decent squad ready for playoff contenders this season at Preston, it’d be a complete waste if he came here to restart another project

I see Pulis’ name being thrown about for Millwall and Stoke if Jones goes. Think Pulis could easily keep either of those up so wouldn’t be good news for us

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 04 Oct 2019 14:32

My choice - Gomes to stay, everybody to "calm down"

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Oct 2019 14:59

SWLR My choice - Gomes to stay, everybody to "calm down"

+1

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Oct 2019 15:02

I think that's what we all want. He and the players need to get the results for it to happen though.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2019 15:05

sandman

I think that's what we all want. He and the players need to get the results for it to happen though.

Well quite.

Lucky fella

by Lucky fella » 04 Oct 2019 16:12

How can anybody consider Mark Hughes , he has been useless in every managerial post he has had . Always a failure , every team he has managed has got worse !

BarryWhiteRFC

by BarryWhiteRFC » 04 Oct 2019 16:16

+2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Oct 2019 16:44

leon
sandman

Well quite.

+1
Meanwhile in reality.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Oct 2019 17:31

It’s never nice talking about a replacement before someone has actually left a role. But WHEN Gomes does leave, I just pray they don’t burn their fingers again with an unknown to the Championship.

It’s a bloody tough league; and you need to learn to adapt pretty damn fast, as is being proven at the moment with the current coaching setup.

Over the past 10 years and the 7 full time managers Reading have appointed; arguably the only manager with proven Championship experience was Nigel Adkins. He did a bloody good job with limited resources imo.

Ainsworth has done a wonderful job but I’m not sure many realise just how big the difference is between LG1/LG2 and the Championship. I would much rather someone like another ex-Wycombe manager in Martin O’Neil. Another candidate should be Chris Hughton, whose record speaks for itself. Aitor Karanka has an ok record too. Perhaps even go back to Rio Ave and pinch Carlos Carvahal this time? :lol:

My fear is that Bowen may not be given full responsibility - instead acting as a middle man to pass on anything historical to the new management team. Wouldn’t surprise me if Kia Joorabchian would get involved some way or another and we end up with another continental manager unaccustomed to English football.

Just my two-pennies worth

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Oct 2019 17:46

royalp-we It’s never nice talking about a replacement before someone has actually left a role. But WHEN Gomes does leave, I just pray they don’t burn their fingers again with an unknown to the Championship.

It’s a bloody tough league; and you need to learn to adapt pretty damn fast, as is being proven at the moment with the current coaching setup.

Over the past 10 years and the 7 full time managers Reading have appointed; arguably the only manager with proven Championship experience was Nigel Adkins. He did a bloody good job with limited resources imo.

Ainsworth has done a wonderful job but I’m not sure many realise just how big the difference is between LG1/LG2 and the Championship. I would much rather someone like another ex-Wycombe manager in Martin O’Neil. Another candidate should be Chris Hughton, whose record speaks for itself. Aitor Karanka has an ok record too. Perhaps even go back to Rio Ave and pinch Carlos Carvahal this time? :lol:

My fear is that Bowen may not be given full responsibility - instead acting as a middle man to pass on anything historical to the new management team. Wouldn’t surprise me if Kia Joorabchian would get involved some way or another and we end up with another continental manager unaccustomed to English football.

Just my two-pennies worth

I agree with the gist of what you are saying but some of those names you mention are grim. Please God we don’t ever appoint someone like O’Neill whose anti football philosophy would see me cut up my ST in seconds.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Oct 2019 17:47

Think that’s fair. Martin O’Neill though? Was awful at Forest last year apparently and that’s his only experience of the league for ages

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 04 Oct 2019 18:33

Forgotten about Hughton,he has never failed at any club,and would be an excellent choice.
The Clubs that have sacked him had ambitions beyond their grasp.
Yes please.
Whether he would come for £300k pa,remains to be seen.A couple of performance bonuses might sugar the deal though.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 04 Oct 2019 18:38

Ok. Scrap Martin O’Neil then :lol:

Gary Rowett?

806 posts