GOMES OUT!

806 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: GOMES OUT!

by sandman » 05 Oct 2019 21:47

Zip
sandman
CountryRoyal Houghton comes in and this is a playoff team imho. Bold statement I know.

The thing is we've said that about previous managers and teams. We said it about Atkins, we've said it about Gomez and now people are predicting Houghton will do it.

In Brian McTermott we trust.

It's all Stan's fault.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 05 Oct 2019 21:50

WestYorksRoyal I understand the view that we simply need stability. Some clubs have bounced back from L1 stronger, and you'd hope we're too big to stay there long term. I'm trying to think of clubs around our size who have gone on to fester at a lower level. Aside from those with money issues, I can't think of any.

I'm very much Jose in. But who is saying we wouldn't have money problems if relegated? I think we would ..

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Oct 2019 21:54

sandman
Zip
sandman
The thing is we've said that about previous managers and teams. We said it about Atkins, we've said it about Gomez and now people are predicting Houghton will do it.

In Brian McTermott we trust.

It's all Stan's fault.

I liked Mim and Jickie

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2019 23:27

Zip
CountryRoyal Houghton comes in and this is a playoff team imho. Bold statement I know.

I just don’t see it. We don’t have anywhere near enough goals in this squad to challenge. We should be doing better but we give away so many poor goals and can barely score at the other end.

We have good players. Organise the team. Get them positionally aware, working, marking and pressing as a team and get the XI in the right balance and we can really improve.

Remember, a new manager could bring back Baldock, McCleary and Gunter too.

I have zero doubt Hughton could get this team at least mid table. And he'd be perfect for us seeing as no one can spell his name right already.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2019 23:29

Denver Royal
AthleticoSpizz
until we sack him...just like everybody else has.

if Hughton is as good as everyone says, and the squad is too, then we can afford to wait a few more games.
WestYorksRoyal What if he takes us down? Is this now a risk worth taking after several years of dire football and manager turnover? If we're 8 points adrift at Christmas will the logic of sticking still hold?

You'd be surprised. There are some who actually want us to go down anyway, and/or think it would be a good thing.

Name them?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Oct 2019 23:31

Bigtimmeh
WestYorksRoyal I understand the view that we simply need stability. Some clubs have bounced back from L1 stronger, and you'd hope we're too big to stay there long term. I'm trying to think of clubs around our size who have gone on to fester at a lower level. Aside from those with money issues, I can't think of any.

I'm very much Jose in. But who is saying we wouldn't have money problems if relegated? I think we would ..

We're past the main financial stumbling block of the three year cycle that was causing us problems.

It would be less bad than going down in the last couple of seasons.

Not good, but not immediately disastrous.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 06 Oct 2019 01:08

Snowflake Royal
Bigtimmeh

We're past the main financial stumbling block of the three year cycle that was causing us problems.

interesting..I just presumed that the big money signings that came in (and some of those that weren't big money e.g Morrison ejaria) would be a big wage outlay. Wouldn't the estimated 15m on João and puscas alone cause us issues for the next three years if we didn't perform? Or is that all offset by the stadium lease?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 06 Oct 2019 08:46

Bigtimmeh
Snowflake Royal
Bigtimmeh I'm very much Jose in. But who is saying we wouldn't have money problems if relegated? I think we would ..

interesting..I just presumed that the big money signings that came in (and some of those that weren't big money e.g Morrison ejaria) would be a big wage outlay. Wouldn't the estimated 15m on João and puscas alone cause us issues for the next three years if we didn't perform? Or is that all offset by the stadium lease?

We'd probably need to sell a couple to manage, but given the players would have taken us down I doubt anyone would cry about it. Funnily enough, I think Puscas would have good resale value in spite of everything. His form for Romania gets him admirers. You'd get top half Championship teams offering decent money for Moore too, though the £10m to Brighton days are gone.

I don't want us to go down but we'd cope. The more meaningful question is why this justifies Gomes staying. We shouldn't be discussing relegation with this squad, so if he took us down why should we trust him as the man to rebuild with?

I wonder if a good compromise could be to bring in a replacement for Mendonca. Ideally your assistant should complement you and have different strengths and weaknesses, but Mendonca seems to just be a more mental version of Gomes. Wouldn't it be better to have more of a thinker and tactics man alongside the charismatic and motivational approach of Gomes? Plus a new defensive coach who can teach at least one of our 3 CBs on the pitch to track a striker in the box when a cross comes in.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Oct 2019 10:51

WestYorksRoyal The more meaningful question is why this justifies Gomes staying. We shouldn't be discussing relegation with this squad, so if he took us down why should we trust him as the man to rebuild with?

I’ve obviously missed the thread of a conversation that seems to have walked into ludicrous territory.

Anything less than 15th with this squad (from where we are now) and he needs to go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 10:54

Bigtimmeh
Snowflake Royal
Bigtimmeh I'm very much Jose in. But who is saying we wouldn't have money problems if relegated? I think we would ..

Those signings had to have been structured weirdly to get through. Fees are spread across the length of a contract even if they're upfront anyway.

Puscas won't be on huge money for all his fee might be. In fact very few of them will be on big money. Adam and Morro at the end of their careers. Puscas, Ejaria and Boye young and not established. Joao, bit part Champ player. Miazga on loan only.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 06 Oct 2019 13:53

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal
AthleticoSpizz until we sack him...just like everybody else has.

if Hughton is as good as everyone says, and the squad is too, then we can afford to wait a few more games.
WestYorksRoyal What if he takes us down? Is this now a risk worth taking after several years of dire football and manager turnover? If we're 8 points adrift at Christmas will the logic of sticking still hold?

You'd be surprised. There are some who actually want us to go down anyway, and/or think it would be a good thing.

Name them?

Did you not author a narrative on several occasions around this time last year that it could be better to get relegated rather than struggle in the Champ? So that then we could re-build, and play more Academy players, etc?
Tbf, I've not gone back and quoted you word for word, but do you not recall what I'm alluding to at all?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Oct 2019 14:01

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal if Hughton is as good as everyone says, and the squad is too, then we can afford to wait a few more games.

Name them?

Did you not author a narrative on several occasions around this time last year that it could be better to get relegated rather than struggle in the Champ? So that then we could re-build, and play more Academy players, etc?
Tbf, I've not gone back and quoted you word for word, but do you not recall what I'm alluding to at all?

You appear to be misunderstanding the meaning of the word 'want' and confusing 'would' with 'could'.

Which is exactly what I thought you were doing before you helpfully confirmed this.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 06 Oct 2019 17:02

There is a huge grey area between 'Wanting to go down' and 'Going down being disastrous' and it would be astonishing to find zero fans with an opinion in that grey area. Plenty of teams have gone down and come back up, including the team we seem to be mimicking at the moment - Blackburn. Its clear we've forgotten how to win, and maybe a spell with weaker teams might reverse that. The counter argument is that we've played plenty of weak teams in this league, and we don't seem to beat them either. I'm not sure why opinions have to be so black and white, and why there is such a passion for putting words into other people's mouths,

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2019 17:09

to that end, who could deny Sheff United their time in the third tier?

For some teams the rises and falls are cyclic...we”re working towards that status...it’s not the end of the world

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Oct 2019 17:24

Snowflake Royal
Bigtimmeh
Snowflake Royal We're past the main financial stumbling block of the three year cycle that was causing us problems.

Those signings had to have been structured weirdly to get through. Fees are spread across the length of a contract even if they're upfront anyway.

Puscas won't be on huge money for all his fee might be. In fact very few of them will be on big money. Adam and Morro at the end of their careers. Puscas, Ejaria and Boye young and not established. Joao, bit part Champ player. Miazga on loan only.

I don't know, I think you'd be a pretty bad agent if your player moved for £8m (or even £3m) and you didn't get them on a hefty wage.

What constitutes "big money" might be hard to pin down, and I wouldn't like to guess what they're on, but I'd guess they all make more in a week than I make in a year. When we were in the PL the first time, our best players were getting about 1/7th of the highest paid player in the world (Shevchenko). I wouldn't be surprised if Puscas is earning something like 1/7th of Alexis Sanchez.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2019 17:25

AthleticoSpizz to that end, who could deny Sheff United their time in the third tier?

For some teams the rises and falls are cyclic...we”re working towards that status...it’s not the end of the world

I don’t know. We are deep in debt. I wonder how much patience our owners will have if we end up back in the lower divisions.

krapmle

by krapmle » 06 Oct 2019 17:37

its the debt thats the issue. Didn't you listen to the mads podcast?
If the new owners don't see results and are faced with huge debts its only a question of time and they will lose interest.

Its not just about the football this time.

Patience will= none if it gets any worse

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2019 17:46

Probably no patience at all tbf...would you?

We still (as a club) have assets tho’

Call me old fashioned, but I don’t get too animated about things as they are...EP. Div 4 and 3 veteran and all that :wink:

Still remember sitting in a ‘world of wonderment’ with the other 6k fans during our first seasons at the ‘stad ....sorry I digress

Stick with Gomes despite his failings, our ‘hire and fire’ policy hasn’t worked either......as already posted by another of our wizened posters (Dr H?) ..just look at Lee Johnson and his position at Brizzul a couple of seasons back

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 06 Oct 2019 18:21

I mentioned Lee Johnson Athletico you daft clapped out old tart.

You’re welcome.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Oct 2019 18:23

Yeah but Dr H isn’t Welsh :wink:

Soz....time for another drink I fear

806 posts