GOMES OUT!

806 posts
URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

Re: GOMES OUT!

by URZZZZ » 07 Oct 2019 23:47

Ascotexgunner
WoodleyRoyal
genome You don't honestly think the owners are that short-sighted, are you? They and Howe would have looked at his whole tenure, and examined the progress made in that time. The fact he was given millions to spend in the summer and has only beaten two poor sides will also be taken into account.

I'm not saying it's the right decision, but I said a couple of weeks ago, I could see the owners getting twitchy pretty quickly.

The only way this will be the right move, if the rumours are to be believed. Is who is brought in to replace him. If it’s another nomark manger with zero championship experience then it’s the wrong decision. If we bring in an experienced manger with knowledge of the league then it will most probably be the right move.

That is so true, it has to be an experienced manager at this level.....no more Stam's, Clement's, Gomes's or managers with little experience or bugger all of a track record for achieving anything. It got me thinking I would love to give Ainsworth a go, but not now. It has to be a Houghton or Hughes type.

Actually I think I'd rather Hughes than Hughton just because people can spell his name :twisted:

Hughton not Houghton. Unless of course you're talking about the captain of the Man City and England women team?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Oct 2019 00:01

Zip
Hound No because we hadn’t just got 1 point from our last 6 games then. We have now

Of course his prior record is relevant. It’s his managerial cv. And in it is nothing to suggest he could turn us around or he has any likelihood of hanging around one way or another. Or he has the ability to win football matches

So he is being judged on his last six games then because prior to that he successfully kept us up and prior to that his record was deemed good enough for us to appoint him.

No, that's nonsense. He's being judged after a quarter of the season. We have 8 points FFS. Seem to be conveniently forgetting Wednesday and Hull to suit your own agenda too

If you generally think that 36 points in 34 league games is a decent record with the number of signings he's made, then your head must be buried in the sand. He's made 14 signings in 9 months. It's no-where good enough. We don't expect instant success (well, some may) but we want to see players and managers learning from mistakes and impacting upon that. He's reverting back to his first few games with high fullbacks and no midfield cover, with a toothless attack. How is that learning from mistakes?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 08 Oct 2019 00:03

Crowbar6753 and that purple week we had a short while back against Cardiff, WBA and Uddersfield where the team played some great football.

Watched all 3 games, results were purple. Overall performances weren't great, little to suggest that the players were comfortable with the game plan. Long periods when we had absolutely no control over the game and couldn't string 3 passes together. After 18 minutes at uddersfield we had 8% possession. Attempting to play out from the back when there was a full press on. Appeared to be no plan B.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Oct 2019 00:07

Lower West
Crowbar6753 and that purple week we had a short while back against Cardiff, WBA and Uddersfield where the team played some great football.

Watched all 3 games, results were purple. Overall performances weren't great, little to suggest that the players were comfortable with the game plan. Long periods when we had absolutely no control over the game and couldn't string 3 passes together. After 18 minutes at uddersfield we had 8% possession. Attempting to play out from the back when there was a full press on. Appeared to be no plan B.

Yep, that's it really. It's OK if we go ahead (on the rare occasion) but we go behind, and we'll lose. 1 point from losing positions this season (we've conceded the first goal 8 times). Because our only thought process is pass, pass, pass slowly around the back once we go a goal down. This hasn't been altered yet. It's just throw on whichever strikers are on the bench

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Oct 2019 00:13

Lower West

One of the reasons you DO attempt to play from the back is to invite the full press. Once it happens, you exploit the space.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 08 Oct 2019 00:19

Crowbar6753 Wow, this is a tough one, the guy is a really likable manager and to be honest, he has done some really great work to date. His record at the end of last season was good, and he really got on board with the fans and pulled the club together.
The fans seemed to love him (Portugal Day) and the players really seem to like him as well, and that purple week we had a short while back against Cardiff, WBA and Uddersfield where the team played some great football.

Then all of a sudden, the wheels fall off and everything goes pear shaped.....i really want to say give him longer and see if he can turn things around like Sir Alex did at Man U as an example, but two things stand out for me.....weird tactics and substitutions during games and the way he has treated Gunter and McCleary, which i do get to a certain extent.

I really think his lack of experience of the Championship will be his downfall and he will be fired this evening. And if so i really hope the club appoint someone with Championship experience. Houghton really should be the go guy to get us out of this mess. I would like Ainsworth, but his lack of Championship experience is an issue, and i really dont think we can afford to gamble again at this stage.

It will be a sad day if he does leave, and only time will tell if it will be the right move.

I think Gomes has overcomplicated things, and the 6 attackers on the pitch has looked a bit gung- ho at times, but these things are very fixable in the mid to long term. McLeary and Gunter was another gamble which hasn't paid off; if they left the club most wouldn't have thought about it twice, but as they've dug their heels in and results are poor it's made Gomes look bad.

It's Hughton. Houghton was a midfielder for us in the late 90's.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 08 Oct 2019 00:38

According to the local media JG was summoned for a showdown meeting this evening (7 Oct) with the board.

I presume that the outcome of this will be more along the lines of what is the problem and how do you intend to fix it rather than so long and thanks for all the fish.

However it may also be that JG will be told that he has x games to reach a mutually agreed target...

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... rs-future/

Be interesting to see what is reported in the morning.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 07:44

Sutekh According to the local media JG was summoned for a showdown meeting this evening (7 Oct) with the board.

I presume that the outcome of this will be more along the lines of what is the problem and how do you intend to fix it rather than so long and thanks for all the fish.

However it may also be that JG will be told that he has x games to reach a mutually agreed target...

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/spor ... rs-future/

Be interesting to see what is reported in the morning.

It won't be that interesting considering who will be doing the reporting.

I think me an Paul the Royal might know the same person behind the scenes at Reading who told me Gomes would be going so I am interested to see if Paul has heard the same thing.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Oct 2019 08:12

URZZZZ
Zip
Hound No because we hadn’t just got 1 point from our last 6 games then. We have now

Of course his prior record is relevant. It’s his managerial cv. And in it is nothing to suggest he could turn us around or he has any likelihood of hanging around one way or another. Or he has the ability to win football matches

So he is being judged on his last six games then because prior to that he successfully kept us up and prior to that his record was deemed good enough for us to appoint him.

No, that's nonsense. He's being judged after a quarter of the season. We have 8 points FFS. Seem to be conveniently forgetting Wednesday and Hull to suit your own agenda too

If you generally think that 36 points in 34 league games is a decent record with the number of signings he's made, then your head must be buried in the sand. He's made 14 signings in 9 months. It's no-where good enough. We don't expect instant success (well, some may) but we want to see players and managers learning from mistakes and impacting upon that. He's reverting back to his first few games with high fullbacks and no midfield cover, with a toothless attack. How is that learning from mistakes?

I haven’t conveniently forgotten the first two games. The big signings did not all start until the Cardiff game. Everyone was fine and dandy after we beat Huddersfield so it’s on the last six games that he is being hammered.

Oh and you are one of those “bleating”on about Clement who was given until nearly halfway through the season to turn things around.
Last edited by Zip on 08 Oct 2019 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 08:23

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Oct 2019 08:29

URZZZZ
2 world wars, 1 world cup DISCLAIMER: I'm genuinely on the fence and don't know what to think but for the sake of good discussion and trying to sort it out in my head so will play a bit of devil's advocate. I'd only do the opposite if someone was sticking up for Gomes.

Your take on the games Ian is a prime example of bending the facts to support your viewpoint rather than a fair look in my opinion.

If I could be bothered I could easily go through the games and paint a different picture. Finding our feet, bold and brilliant decision to replace Virginia, finally got there and everything clicked, a week of sublime performances... key injury to Miazga and trying to rotate players and players going off form. Despite that still some great performances/ close defeats. Phenomenal away draw against the league leaders. Fulham game was against 10 men etc etc etc.. Clearly signs of a great team that just needs to find rhythm.

We DO have a bunch of new players there is no hiding from that no matter how you paint it.

Rafa - yes might have slotted in (as in knows where he is meant to play) but how long does it take to organise a defence? Evidently as long as it's taking now as it's still not sorted and we know the keeper-CB relationship is an extremely important one.

Morrison - hit the ground running, yes, in terms of individual performanes, but that's not the worry with new players is it? Clearly as above we have a huge defensive crisis at the moment. Individually good performances dont' count for much when we are in trouble as a unit - again this needs TIME. And anyway has he been all that good? Yes in our wonder week but since then he's been pretty meh as has the whole defensive unit. And why not give Gomes the credit if he has been good?

Miazga and Ejaria - not new I'll give you that. But where were they in the close season and preseason? Were we ever sure they'd come back? Having played a few games last season and then leaving with no idea if they'd return and then returning late in the day doesn't mean they are old established players. Still need work.

Adam - yes not playing.. but new enough to waste a few games with to check him out.

Virginia - as above he's finally been kicked out the starting 11 but it was a mini-crisis that Gomes had to sort out and waste vital games and points doing so.

Which leaves Joao, Puscas Pele as you say. Even if these are the only new players that's still almost 30% of the team! And in key central positions (we're not talking about a winger who will drift in and out of games) which the whole team is built around.

On top of that we also had to bring the likes of Richards up to speed, so in effect a new player. Awful in defence for the first few games but Gomes has had to train him up and get the best out of him.

There's no way really of hiding from the fact that Gomes has had enough squad disruption and new talent to develop to have quite a tough time, compared to a manager with a settled squad who gets one or two key signings in the early transfer window with the whole of the preseason to get them to integrate.

Tactics etc - I can't knock your comments. Sorry Gomes. Unless as we've discussed we've just got a shit coaching team, but then again Gomes may well be responsible for that.

The way I see it the most valid arguments for and against are:

FOR: great motivator, kept us up, makes bold decisions well (booting out dead wood, replacing Virginia urgently), games generally quite close when defeated with some good spells, a mammoth task of trying to integrate many new players in a short amount of time etc

AGAINST: questionable tactics, selection, organisational and coaching ability with an inconsistent haphazard approach thus underachieving with very good players.

Overall I agree - "I'd give Gomes a few more games,"

A good post as usual but a few things I'd say

"A week of sublime performances". Cardiff - I'll give you that one. West Brom was pretty decent but felt we were lacking in attack that game and missed out on many counter attack opportunities. Think the back three were sublime that game which helped us get the point/ Huddersfield by all accords wasn't great (I wasn't there but I'm judging off BFTG reports)

You say we've had other great performances but I'm unconvinced. Boro in the last 20 was good. I'm struggling apart from that. It's been lacklustre and low tempo apart from that

Your point on Morrison - was it not stated that he didn't sign him? He wasn't Gomes' signing "according to the reports" yet arguably has been our best signing so far. I could be wrong with his but I thought that was the case

Do we have very good players? They're better than the league table shows, granted but "very good". Really not sure

But your arguments are good and it's easy to see why people have different views. I think he's gone and I'll feel sorry for him because I know how much passion and energy he has brought to the club. But ultimately, other than a Meite purple patch, he's been out of his depth

Thanks URZZZ, fair response by you too.

We can choose to look at things in various ways but at the end of the day it comes down to the table not lying, most people want him to succeed (whether they think he will or not is a different matter) but need to see some changes asap because at this rate he'll be gone very soon.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Oct 2019 08:39

I like the guy but am very much on the fence about if we needs to go or not. He only has a contract until the summer, so one would expect unless we have a massive turnaround and show strong form over the remainder of the season he is likely to be told his contract won't be renewed at some point. At that point, you have to question if players will put in the effort for a "dead man walking".

This run is worrying as is the slip into the bottom 3, again, however, if you look at our opening 11 games, we have had a really tough run of opposition to get a new team gelling. Taking league position after 11 games we have played 7 of the current top 11 and play 3 more in our next 3 games.

On the flip side, we have only played 4 teams in the bottom half of the table and still have to play 6 teams placed below 15th. So there will be a run of games starting on 2nd November where points could come quickly. I guess it depends if you think Gomes is the manager to pick up points in those games or not - as that 9 game run will only have Leeds from the current top half in it.

If the club are not sure, then now is the time to make the change and hopefully have the new man in before the players are back from international duty.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Oct 2019 08:51

Probably a non story, CF breaks the news then appears to back track on it, Jlow see the initial tweet and copies it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 08:51

I'd be a little wary of judging the opposition by where they are in the table. If we'd beaten Charlton, they'd have been bottom half, Blackburn would have been bottom 5, Hull likewise. If we hadn't gifted 3 points to Sheff Weds and Fulham and at a push Bristol City, but had to say Millwall and Derby, they'd have been top half instead of them

I don't think we've had a particularly tough run tbh. You'd expect at the start of the season to be beating Sheff W, Charlton, Blackburn and possibly Cardiff at home. Away, we might have hoped to have picked up another win against Hull, Boro or Bristol C

Stjimmy

by Stjimmy » 08 Oct 2019 08:59

[url][https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jose-gomes/stationen/trainer/2462/plus/1/url]

Is this good enough? Was it ever good enough for the EFL?
IMHO no...

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Oct 2019 09:04

Ultimately we simply haven’t picked up the number of points we should have achieved. Fulham apart I can’t think of a team that have outclassed us yet we keep on falling on the wrong side of the scoreline. If Gomes can’t change that he will be gone soon enough.

It’s hugely disappointing seeing the club struggle again especially after the rarity of a thumping home win v Cardiff. Ultimately we all want the team to succeed and I am as passionate as anyone else in that respect. So if my posts have been harsh I apologise. Just fed up seeing the club struggle again.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 08 Oct 2019 09:05

Barnsley sack their manager, first shout on Hughton maybe.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Oct 2019 09:07

windermereROYAL Barnsley sack their manager, first shout on Hughton maybe.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Because he would go there.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 09:09

I heard he wanted to stay down south, understandably being as he is from London and has family this way.

Which is why I suspect we do have a chance of getting him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 08 Oct 2019 09:10

Zip Ultimately we simply haven’t picked up the number of points we should have achieved. Fulham apart I can’t think of a team that have outclassed us yet we keep on falling on the wrong side of the scoreline. If Gomes can’t change that he will be gone soon enough.

It’s hugely disappointing seeing the club struggle again especially after the rarity of a thumping home win v Cardiff. Ultimately we all want the team to succeed and I am as passionate as anyone else in that respect. So if my posts have been harsh I apologise. Just fed up seeing the club struggle again.

yep likewise. Genuinely thought this year would be different. Thoroughly pissed off it isnt

806 posts