GOMES OUT!

806 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: GOMES OUT!

by Old Man Andrews » 01 Oct 2019 23:33

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal We lost that game before Swift got sent off.

It was 0-1..... :roll: We hadn't lost anything.

They were tearing us apart and we've come from behind just once to get a single point. Lightning wasn't going to strike twice in two games. Fulham barely had to turn up.

You have no idea how the game would have gone 11v11, red card cost us the game. No doubt we were under the cosh before the red card but that doesn't automatically mean we wouldn't have got back into the game. It's a pointless argument as we will never know now thanks to the idiotic John Swift.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Oct 2019 23:41

Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal He’s got to go after that.

Gomes got John Swift sent off? Interesting.

What a terrible argument. No managers ever instruct their players to play badly or make mistakes. By using those midfield three, even in the first 20 minutes, we were overrun. Where was the marking for their first? They were queuing up

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Oct 2019 23:42

Elm Park Kid Are you guys being serious with this or just blowing off steam?

Because .. . . if you can't handle a bad few weeks then it might be time to shut RFC down as there's no point carrying on. You'll never be pleased.

8 wins in 33 isn’t a bad few weeks

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 01 Oct 2019 23:54

URZZZZ
Elm Park Kid Are you guys being serious with this or just blowing off steam?

Because .. . . if you can't handle a bad few weeks then it might be time to shut RFC down as there's no point carrying on. You'll never be pleased.

8 wins in 33 isn’t a bad few weeks

And winning 1, losing 4 of your first 5 home league games is relegation material.

Gomes and his staff will be gone if there are no signs of improvement (results) after the international break.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Oct 2019 23:58

You have to give Gomes some credit not many managers could spend 20 million and make us worse!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Oct 2019 00:07

I do wonder if Mark Bowen will be making some enquiries over the international break.

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 02 Oct 2019 00:17

royalp-we I do wonder if Mark Bowen will be making some enquiries over the international break.

I think he would be foolish not to...Jose has to get at least until Dec though..getting a new manager is starting again.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 02 Oct 2019 00:36

Mark Hughes #1

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 02 Oct 2019 01:28

Suspect the management have set a performance target for example -
1st quarter - get a point per game. Same run rate as last season, use the time to bed in the new players
2nd quarter - get point and half per game. Show improvement as team gels
3rd quarter - get point and half per game. Show consolidation and consistency, establish new base level
4th quarter - get two points per game. Start to shine, ooze a bit of class with steel. Excitement for fans, late push for plays offs. Set standard for next season

IMO he needs 4 points from the next 2 games - if not he may get a further 4/6 max more to get back on track. If not then its bye bye . Club will help him all the way to succeed. "Performance Improvement plan" may already be in place

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Oct 2019 05:49

fred sharpes nose Suspect the management have set a performance target for example -
1st quarter - get a point per game. Same run rate as last season, use the time to bed in the new players
2nd quarter - get point and half per game. Show improvement as team gels
3rd quarter - get point and half per game. Show consolidation and consistency, establish new base level
4th quarter - get two points per game. Start to shine, ooze a bit of class with steel. Excitement for fans, late push for plays offs. Set standard for next season

IMO he needs 4 points from the next 2 games - if not he may get a further 4/6 max more to get back on track. If not then its bye bye . Club will help him all the way to succeed. "Performance Improvement plan" may already be in place

I reckon it’ll be a rallying loss at City followed by an indifferent point v Preston then rounded off by the standard struggle for little return at Loftus Road and the usual seasonal defeat at the City Ground.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2019 07:22

leon Can we stop sacking managers?

Seriously we need to give the manager a chance, surely?

It needs to be the right manager though. Stable and shit isn't any use and gets us relegated. I can handle a run of bad results if I can see decent performances, fight and tenacity, because then you can reliably say results will improve. I don't see any of that here. What evidence have people seen to suggest we are going to improve?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Oct 2019 08:36

sandman
2 world wars, 1 world cup Gomes backer here.

"We can make the playoffs" neck-sticker-outer here.

Yes sadly I agree we lost the game before Swift was sent off. One could even argue Swift was just generally pissed off at how we were doing.

What baffles me is this was so unnecessary. We genuinely have a very good squad. We stumbled across a good starting 11 and a good system that stood the test of a few games and just needed to be built on. In the words of Greta Thunberg "this is all wrong".

We can easily pull it round. Gomes is the man, and we have good players. My only concern at this point is confidence. It's a fragile thing, and once the players lose confidence in themselves and in you as the boss it's a slippery slope. Big test for Gomes now. Back to basics. 5-3-2 with the best team out but not so crazy with attack leaving defence open. Get some confidence and belief back.

Do we? We've spent a bit of money and had a good week a month ago. Doesn't mean we have a good squad on anything other than paper.

Good question. Yes so first we did spend a bit of money as you say. We also had some decent players here including younger breakthough players like Rino we were scared would be taken by a PL club. And yes the fruit of that was the golden week we had. They weren't lucky or fake results. Those performances were solid by each individual and as a team. Everything clicked. Everyone shined.

Rafa - Not a bad keeper at all. Maybe no Martinez but fairly decent and no complaints there.
Yiadom - people here calling him possibly the best RB in the league. Definitely a very very good player IMO.
RIchards - has frankly been a revelation and has shown what he is capable of. And remember I asked that he never plays for us again, so I'm eating humble pie here. Maybe not the best LB in the league but in the 5-3-2 he was brilliant. Why he was swapped for Obita I have absolutely no idea. If you reckon Obita is better, fine.
Miazga - brilliant defender , great in the air, we were crying out for him to return and he has. We've hugely missed his absence and *I* put the failure of 5-3-2 to continue to be effective down to losing him.
Moore - we were sh*t scared he'd leave us for a PL side. I know he's been a bit hit and miss this season but we know he's a good player.
Morrison - we know he's a very good defender, no more needed to be said. V lucky to get him somehow.
Rino - As above, we were scared he'd be taken by a PL club. He probably will at some point. Will he outdo SIggy? Tiem will tell.
Ejaria - pure class. Too good for us.
Swift - I'm finally vidicated for the positivity I've been spouting about him over the years. Good to hear Adie acknowledging he's our stand out player. I wouldn't go that far when we have Ejaria in the ranks but he's certainly better than most. And he never gets red cards... oh.
Puscas - we've seen what he's capable of. He is a very good player who will score many goals. Unlucky not to score against Fulham. We
Joao - has already scored and created enough to prove himself as a capable striker, if paired properly.
Meite - many would say he should be a starter. He's actually surprisingly good to the point now that I'm also torn whether he or Joao should pair up with Puscas.

Then we have up and coming players like Barrett, Loader, McIntyre, Olise etc and the likes of Boye, Pele etc who aren't bad. I wouldn't call them very good players (yet) like the above but certainly these are all players who enrich the squad for sure.

I struggle to say we have a shit team.

I'd go so far as to say if we had kept Barrow and Martinez and brought in a good right winger we could be unstoppable. Without that I reckon this squad of players should be knocking on the door of the playoff spots.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2019 09:34

The idea that Yiadom is the best RB in the league is insane. He's consistently played for relegation candidates.

He can go forward quite well, but he rarely crosses, mostly cutting inside and shooting wastefully. He plays too high so he's rarely back where he needs to be (probably manager issue), he takes poor touches to overrun the ball quite a lot.

Just because he's more positive and physical than Gunter doesn't make him a great RB.

He's good and bring misused, nothing more.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Oct 2019 09:36

Snowflake Royal The idea that Yiadom is the best RB in the league is insane. He's consistently played for relegation candidates.

He can go forward quite well, but he rarely crosses, mostly cutting inside and shooting wastefully. He plays too high so he's rarely back where he needs to be (probably manager issue), he takes poor touches to overrun the ball quite a lot.

Just because he's more positive and physical than Gunter doesn't make him a great RB.

Rubbish Ian. He may not be the best in the league but he's certainly better than you are making out.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 02 Oct 2019 09:51

2 world wars, 1 world cup Moore - we were sh*t scared he'd leave us for a PL side. I know he's been a bit hit and miss this season but we know he's a good player.

We won't have to worry about him going to the PL ever again.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Oct 2019 10:01

sandman
Snowflake Royal The idea that Yiadom is the best RB in the league is insane. He's consistently played for relegation candidates.

Rubbish Ian. He may not be the best in the league but he's certainly better than you are making out.

Ian's probably just trying to balance up the discussion after this "best in the league" talk, and that's a fair thing to do.

I'm not saying I regard him as the best in the league, but it has been talked about. In fairness, he's clearly very good and has been since he joined. But he is really in his element when a wingback, which is why I was full of praise for Gomes for spotting it and heading in that direction. Probably a bit like Richards - great going forwards, great ball control. Not an amazing as a strict RB defensively but fit enough to get back there and be another body in a back 5, and to be fair he does do some very timely blocks and tackles.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Oct 2019 10:10

I just always found it amusing that people were saying on Twitter last year that Yiadom - Moore - Miazga - Obita would be the best defence in the league. Yiadom and Moore are too inconsistent and Obita is bang average

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Oct 2019 10:41

Being muted on the Stoke city forum that Hughton is willing to speak to them, looks like a better fit for him there. I`ve always been against Parkinson but if all else fails lets get him in.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Oct 2019 12:00

windermereROYAL Being muted on the Stoke city forum that Hughton is willing to speak to them, looks like a better fit for him there. I`ve always been against Parkinson but if all else fails lets get him in.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Oct 2019 12:06

WestYorksRoyal
leon Can we stop sacking managers?

Seriously we need to give the manager a chance, surely?

It needs to be the right manager though. Stable and shit isn't any use and gets us relegated. I can handle a run of bad results if I can see decent performances, fight and tenacity, because then you can reliably say results will improve. I don't see any of that here. What evidence have people seen to suggest we are going to improve?

When Gomes first came in, it was our fight and tenacity that immediately improved.

806 posts