BFTG Swansea Away

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Swansea Away

by NewCorkSeth » 30 Sep 2019 19:02

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Boye has ability, but will need to be more disciplined, be a team player, play under control. (Beat 2 men, at most, but then get his head up and pass/create, etc.). Has some defensive traits too. Hope he evolves, and should maybe be an impact sub til then. At 23 he's still a young player, adjusting to Champ, and country, had no preseason, etc.

The "head up" part is particularly apt. He doesnt seem to look around/be aware of his surroundings. Which is massive for us as when we attack 6 players go forward. We cant keep losing the ball so easily.

That's not true. In the first half vs Swansea, we had no options going forward. Boye would often be surrounded by three or four men. Granted, his touch was off numerous times but there was a real lack of support in the first half for the front two. It did slightly improve after Blackett went off injured but then Boye improved as the half went on anyway when we started committing players forward

We constantly have support problems but nobody else does what Boye does. A fantastic bit of skill to beat the first or second man followed up by a sharp run into a hole, an incomplete pass or a heavy touch straight to the opposition. Hes a final ball or an Ejaria style dribble away from being a good player.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Sep 2019 19:40

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth The "head up" part is particularly apt. He doesnt seem to look around/be aware of his surroundings. Which is massive for us as when we attack 6 players go forward. We cant keep losing the ball so easily.

That's not true. In the first half vs Swansea, we had no options going forward. Boye would often be surrounded by three or four men. Granted, his touch was off numerous times but there was a real lack of support in the first half for the front two. It did slightly improve after Blackett went off injured but then Boye improved as the half went on anyway when we started committing players forward

We constantly have support problems but nobody else does what Boye does. A fantastic bit of skill to beat the first or second man followed up by a sharp run into a hole, an incomplete pass or a heavy touch straight to the opposition. Hes a final ball or an Ejaria style dribble away from being a good player.

Speaking of which that Ejaria dribble past 89 Swansea players from outside the box to the six yard area was just incredible.

Hot knife through butter. The guy scares the sh*t out of opposition defences which is why since Cardiff he’s been closed down constantly.

We have very good players.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 20:28

Zip
NewCorkSeth
John Smith Is Boye total pony? Would we be better off playing Garath McCleary?

Imo? Yes. Boye is a show pony. In a side that controls the pitch he would be great but he is nowhere near good enough to play regularly in a struggling team at this level.

I think so too. Boye, Virginia and Adam are poor signings. We have very few authentic wingers now,

Harsh on Boye to categorise him with those two. It was telling however that Saturday was the first time Adam was excluded from the squad and it happened after his mini strop. Even Olise was on ahead of him

With the wingers, whether you agree or not, the plan was to eliminate them. It’s why McCleary was frozen out. It’s why Barrow was let go. Gomes plays with narrow widemen, with the width coming from the fullbacks. He said as much on a coaching video I saw him deliver, that he likes his wingers coming inside

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Sep 2019 20:38

URZZZZ
Zip
NewCorkSeth Imo? Yes. Boye is a show pony. In a side that controls the pitch he would be great but he is nowhere near good enough to play regularly in a struggling team at this level.

I think so too. Boye, Virginia and Adam are poor signings. We have very few authentic wingers now,

Harsh on Boye to categorise him with those two. It was telling however that Saturday was the first time Adam was excluded from the squad and it happened after his mini strop. Even Olise was on ahead of him

With the wingers, whether you agree or not, the plan was to eliminate them. It’s why McCleary was frozen out. It’s why Barrow was let go. Gomes plays with narrow widemen, with the width coming from the fullbacks. He said as much on a coaching video I saw him deliver, that he likes his wingers coming inside

Yes I fully agree on the way Gomes is looking for us to play but am not a fan of it. Just look at our 2005/06 side that did so well partly because of the huge contributions of Little and Convey. We desperately struggle to stretch teams and rarely seem to find space behind our opponents fullbacks.

Boye just doesn’t seem to have an end product. He looks like he has technical ability but is final ball is so poor.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 30 Sep 2019 22:30

Zip
URZZZZ
Zip

Yes I fully agree on the way Gomes is looking for us to play but am not a fan of it. Just look at our 2005/06 side that did so well partly because of the huge contributions of Little and Convey. We desperately struggle to stretch teams and rarely seem to find space behind our opponents fullbacks.

Boye just doesn’t seem to have an end product. He looks like he has technical ability but is final ball is so poor.

Oh I fully agree with you about wingers. Said it a few months ago that it seems to have become a forgotten art. There’s very few players nowadays that take a man on and it disappoints me because it’s made the game less enjoyable to watch IMO. Nowadays you’ll even see teams passing the ball round the back four with thirty seconds to go. It seems like teams have no urgency to just get the ball in the box. Really strange

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Sep 2019 23:40

NewCorkSeth
Denver Royal Boye has ability, but will need to be more disciplined, be a team player, play under control. (Beat 2 men, at most, but then get his head up and pass/create, etc.). Has some defensive traits too. Hope he evolves, and should maybe be an impact sub til then. At 23 he's still a young player, adjusting to Champ, and country, had no preseason, etc.

The "head up" part is particularly apt. He doesnt seem to look around/be aware of his surroundings. Which is massive for us as when we attack 6 players go forward. We cant keep losing the ball so easily.

Yep, not overly familiar with his background. Looks raw, and plays younger than is. There’s a player in there, but it’s up to him. Will need to listen and work his socks off. It’s not for everyone and Gomes may have to lay his passport on his bed, as it were.
Btw, what do you think of Barrett? Our youngest 1st teamer getting game time in Champ, is an Academy grad, and ‘one of our own’. As such, bit surprised he hasn’t received more props/ ‘bias’?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 01 Oct 2019 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Oct 2019 01:02

I'm not sure what Barrett's particular "role" can be and what his strengths and weaknesses are. Saturday was a good game from him and think he's warranted a start tonight but not sure if he's the answer long term. He was ineffectual against Wednesday beside the assist

This season really is the make/break for him. He's made very little progress in three/four years which is why people are hardly mentioning him. He has made strong physical progress in the sense he's lost some weight but he's still too overweight IMO

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Oct 2019 07:10

Denver Royal
NewCorkSeth

Yep, not overly familiar with his background. Looks raw, and plays younger than is. There’s a player in there, but it’s up to him. Will need to listen and work his socks off. It’s not for everyone and Gomes may have to lay his passport on his bed, as it were.
Btw, what do you think of Barrett? Our youngest 1st teamer getting game time in Champ, is an Academy grad, and ‘one of our own’. As such, bit surprised he hasn’t received more props/ ‘bias’?

Sadly I have only seen him in his league games as i have no access to watching cup games. He has looked bright, composed for the most part and, most importantly, he looks happy. I think he has a real desire to prove himself and he has enough about him to play at this level. His crossing looks good, his dribbling is decent his passing is alright, hes fast enough and physical enough.

All in all he looks a good players, one I would be happy enough with if we signed him this summer. But he doesnt have an obvious position in our team. Hes not a striker and hes not a centre mid. If we go back to playing with 3 forwards he is a decent shout for wide left but that seems to be a back up plan atm. I suppose he might be retrainable as a Swift/Ejaria (for example many thought Ejaria could not play CM) but I havent seen enough of his defensive work to know that and Rinomhota and Olise are probably ahead of him there.