3%
Ian Royal
8%

Total votes: 202
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Next Manager

by Millsy » 09 Oct 2019 22:26

Snowflake Royal So, who reckons we'll go into the next game with a new manager and who reckons we'll have a caretaker?

If we have a caretaker, who? Marshall again? Bowen? O'Shit?

Definitely manager.

Hughton is most fans' favourite. I would like Allardyce (no not to see you go!) But none of the above are likely I feel. I suspect it could be that other Portuguese chap they wanted maybe. Or some other foreign dude nobody has heard of.

But I'd be surprised if we haven't got someone already ready to hit the ground running.

PS If you have already been offered the job please can you tell us?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Oct 2019 22:30

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowflake Royal So, who reckons we'll go into the next game with a new manager and who reckons we'll have a caretaker?

If we have a caretaker, who? Marshall again? Bowen? O'Shit?

Definitely manager.

Hughton is most fans' favourite. I would like Allardyce (no not to see you go!) But none of the above are likely I feel. I suspect it could be that other Portuguese chap they wanted maybe. Or some other foreign dude nobody has heard of.

But I'd be surprised if we haven't got someone already ready to hit the ground running.

PS If you have already been offered the job please can you tell us?

Really think we can get Ian on the betting list. If enough of us go to Paddy Power and enquire they will add Ian Royal.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Oct 2019 22:49

Stuart Pearce on Sky's "debate" has the "feeling Reading will be going for a forrin manager".

JR

by JR » 09 Oct 2019 22:53

genome Look who's favourite now *prays*

Oddschecker has missed off the current 1/2 favourite

steveg

by steveg » 09 Oct 2019 22:54

Old Man Andrews
Barney Thoughts on Mr Graeme Murty ?

No.

Why not, success at Rangers, and with Rangers under 20's

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Oct 2019 23:28

Seems Mark Bowen is a serious contender and reported odds on favourite

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... s-17060657

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Oct 2019 00:32

Ascotexgunner
Thanks that's good to read. Ideally Gomes will have a short chance but if not and MH is our man then it's cheered me up a bit because I've not been too excited otherwise.

Cheers. a criticism of Gomes when he arrived (and its just my opinion) is that I don't think he was 100% focused. He never hid the fact that he would listen to offers from bigger clubs. I think he is a bit of a dreamer.
One thing is certain, you know what you get with Hughes. He will give it his all and he has a big point to prove.

Oh maybe I wasn't paying attention but I didn't get that impression. Seemed to me like he loved Reading and wanted to make it work here. No problem with ambition to want to be in the PL. At least it was honest unlike bastards like Parjudas, FSB, Clarke etc.

Sad to see him go. I used not to like Portuguese football fans and players after the cheating shites against England and the arrogant unapologetic nature of almost every Portugal fan I've ever met. But Gomes changed the narrow minded way I think of them. Really very likeable guy. Will miss him.

Well said

Can understand making a decision to replace him but I thought he'd get a few more games. Just had the feeling things were going to slot into place soon. That and the Cardiff game kept me believing.

elrey

by elrey » 10 Oct 2019 01:41

WoodleyRoyal
Bristol Paul
WoodleyRoyal Hughes would be a very sensible option and will do very well here, I’m sure if it. I personally would have him over Hughton. I just can’t understand people horror that it will be Hughes. He’s a decent manager. Plenty of experience and hopefully will give the players a kick up the back side they need. Any fan looking at our position currently is deluded to think we could get a better manager in. Very happy if true.

Mark Hughes has a terrible record at a number of clubs, why on earth do you think it will be any different at Reading?!

He really doesn’t :|

His win ratio is between 18.5% (at Southampton) and 46.8% at Man City.

Nothing inspiring.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 10 Oct 2019 02:01

We could do worse than Hughes or Allardyce, although Hughton is my first choice. We need a simple, organized game plan and culture at the club. For years we've been trying to emulate this weird passing style and the only thing its served to do is confuse players who are generally not up to the ability level of playing it. Some of our personnel do have that in the locker, but when you are surrounded by mostly basic players who make basic runs and don't have the footballing IQ to move into space quickly, you look like a shambles. Championship defenders also cannot play out from the back like they are Pique. Become hard to beat, sure up the defense, work hard and go build from there. Any of the above three wouldn't be a bad choice.

retro royal

by retro royal » 10 Oct 2019 06:33

Think our backroom staff haven't been of sufficient quality, think Steven Reid was the last one. Unknown Portuguese coaches plus O'Shea. Whoever comes in surely has to address this.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 07:14

elrey
WoodleyRoyal
Bristol Paul
Mark Hughes has a terrible record at a number of clubs, why on earth do you think it will be any different at Reading?!

Nothing inspiring.

46.8% is pretty oxf*rd inspiring.

36% at Stoke across 200 games. That would be bloody brilliant here after the last two seasons.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 07:45

retro royal Think our backroom staff haven't been of sufficient quality, think Steven Reid was the last one. Unknown Portuguese coaches plus O'Shea. Whoever comes in surely has to address this.

How would you know this without being a player or being at the club in some capacity. Ridiculous idle speculation.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Oct 2019 07:49

Snowflake Royal
elrey
WoodleyRoyal

Nothing inspiring.

36% at Stoke across 200 games. That would be bloody brilliant here after the last two seasons.

I may be wrong here but did he not start very strongly at stoke then slowly get awful? Obviously I would take a strong start and a 36% win rate provided the draw rate was pretty high but has he not been a manager in decline for quite a while?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Oct 2019 07:53

On Ainsworth, I understand he is local, popular and obviously a decent manager but is there not a Nathan Jones feel about it? Good manager, not ready?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 08:11

NewCorkSeth On Ainsworth, I understand he is local, popular and obviously a decent manager but is there not a Nathan Jones feel about it? Good manager, not ready?

Difference is he has been a very, very good manager at one club for 8 years now and completely changed their fortunes. He is an investor in youth and tries to play attractive, forward thinking football. I understand the arguement against giving him the job but someone eventually will have to take a punt on him because of the incredible job he is doing for Wycombe. I would hate us to miss out on him because we were too scared to take a risk and he goes on to be a huge success elsewhere.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Oct 2019 08:13

Mikele Leigertwood
Knows the club, knows the players, should have the fans on side
Win win

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 08:14

Simon's Church Mikele Leigertwood
Knows the club, knows the players, should have the fans on side
Win win

Hasn't managed anywhere in his life and we are in the relegation zone with a group of players who need someone to come in and hit the ground running......

Another ridiculous suggestion to add to the list.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:16

Old Man Andrews
retro royal Think our backroom staff haven't been of sufficient quality, think Steven Reid was the last one. Unknown Portuguese coaches plus O'Shea. Whoever comes in surely has to address this.

How would you know this without being a player or being at the club in some capacity. Ridiculous idle speculation.

Well, the absence of evidence that coaching happens between games by what goes on on the pitch during them is a bit of a hint.

Many of our players have been successful and played well before joining us, yet much of our team can't get fairly basic fundamentals of football like passing, movement, tracking, marking and positioning right in games.

It's a bit of a hint something wasn't right on the training ground.

The fact we went downhill fast when Reid left is a clue he was good and we've not replaced him with anyone as good.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 08:18

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews

Well, the absence of evidence that coaching happens between games by what goes on on the pitch during them is a bit of a hint.

Many of our players have been successful and played well before joining us, yet much of our team can't get fairly basic fundamentals of football like passing, movement, tracking, marking and positioning right in games.

It's a bit of a hint something wasn't right on the training ground.

The fact we went downhill fast when Reid left is a clue he was good and we've not replaced him with anyone as good.

Complete and utter nonsense. You're free to suggest the coaching wasn't good but you have no idea if that is actually true or not so stop pretending to be some sort of insider at the club and speak like a fan for once.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:19

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal
elrey

Nothing inspiring.

I may be wrong here but did he not start very strongly at stoke then slowly get awful? Obviously I would take a strong start and a 36% win rate provided the draw rate was pretty high but has he not been a manager in decline for quite a while?

Pre Hughes Stoke finished 13th and 14th. During Hughes Stoke finished 9th, 9th, 9th and then slipped again.

So he came in, improved them and maintained that for three years. Yes, it got tired and slipped at the end. We're unlikely to keep him for 4/5 seasons if he doesn't at least get us in the play offs.

606 posts