Total votes: 202
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Next Manager

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:20

Simon's Church Mikele Leigertwood
Knows the club, knows the players, should have the fans on side
Win win

Doesn't know management. Doesn't actually know many of the players at all given he left 4-6 years ago.

Awful suggestion.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:22

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews How would you know this without being a player or being at the club in some capacity. Ridiculous idle speculation.

Well, the absence of evidence that coaching happens between games by what goes on on the pitch during them is a bit of a hint.

Many of our players have been successful and played well before joining us, yet much of our team can't get fairly basic fundamentals of football like passing, movement, tracking, marking and positioning right in games.

It's a bit of a hint something wasn't right on the training ground.

The fact we went downhill fast when Reid left is a clue he was good and we've not replaced him with anyone as good.

Complete and utter nonsense. You're free to suggest the coaching wasn't good but you have no idea if that is actually true or not so stop pretending to be some sort of insider at the club and speak like a fan for once.

Don't be a knob OMA, no one is pretending to be an insider.

It's pretty easy to judge the quality of our coaching by what happens on the pitch.

It's an opinion based on evidence.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 08:31

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal Well, the absence of evidence that coaching happens between games by what goes on on the pitch during them is a bit of a hint.

Many of our players have been successful and played well before joining us, yet much of our team can't get fairly basic fundamentals of football like passing, movement, tracking, marking and positioning right in games.

The fact we went downhill fast when Reid left is a clue he was good and we've not replaced him with anyone as good.

Complete and utter nonsense. You're free to suggest the coaching wasn't good but you have no idea if that is actually true or not so stop pretending to be some sort of insider at the club and speak like a fan for once.

It's pretty easy to judge the quality of our coaching by what happens on the pitch.

Ok fair enough.

I would argue that not all areas of the pitch suffered under the new coaches though. I think we saw Rinhomota really come into his own under Gomes and Meite at the backend of last season really responded well to the new management. I paid a lot of attention to the goalkeeping coach too when he came in as I thought Dave Beasant was a bit of a joke appointment tbh. Beasants pre match warm ups were that of which you'd give a kid playing under 10's football, repetitive too. Jose's man really changed things and his work with Martinez was really enjoyable to watch before a game.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Oct 2019 08:31

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal Well, the absence of evidence that coaching happens between games by what goes on on the pitch during them is a bit of a hint.

Don't fancy your chances on getting him to not be a knob.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Oct 2019 08:35

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal 46.8% is pretty oxf*rd inspiring.

36% at Stoke across 200 games. That would be bloody brilliant here after the last two seasons.

I may be wrong here but did he not start very strongly at stoke then slowly get awful? Obviously I would take a strong start and a 36% win rate provided the draw rate was pretty high but has he not been a manager in decline for quite a while?

Pre Hughes Stoke finished 13th and 14th. During Hughes Stoke finished 9th, 9th, 9th and then slipped again.

So he came in, improved them and maintained that for three years. Yes, it got tired and slipped at the end. We're unlikely to keep him for 4/5 seasons if he doesn't at least get us in the play offs.

In his first 3 seasons at Stoke, his win % was 37% slipped to 29% in his last full season (still 11 wins & 11 draws) for a comfortable 13th. It is only really the final season there where things went south, just 5 wins from 22 when fired - which is still a better run than Gomes was on when fired.

He was doing very well at City but the Abu Dhabi group wanted to be at the top of the shop quickly, so he was replaced by Mancini after a run of 7 draws I think, although they were in the League Cup semis at the time of his sacking.
Last edited by Stranded on 10 Oct 2019 08:40, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:35

sandman
Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews Complete and utter nonsense. You're free to suggest the coaching wasn't good but you have no idea if that is actually true or not so stop pretending to be some sort of insider at the club and speak like a fan for once.

You should have read his next post before you said that really.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Oct 2019 08:36

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal 46.8% is pretty oxf*rd inspiring.

36% at Stoke across 200 games. That would be bloody brilliant here after the last two seasons.

I may be wrong here but did he not start very strongly at stoke then slowly get awful? Obviously I would take a strong start and a 36% win rate provided the draw rate was pretty high but has he not been a manager in decline for quite a while?

Pre Hughes Stoke finished 13th and 14th. During Hughes Stoke finished 9th, 9th, 9th and then slipped again.

So he came in, improved them and maintained that for three years. Yes, it got tired and slipped at the end. We're unlikely to keep him for 4/5 seasons if he doesn't at least get us in the play offs.

Then I'm obviously misremembering. Seem to recall and article stating the defensive coaching of Pulis had set the team up so well to grind out results that Hughes benefitted from it immensely. Then after a few seasons his style of football and their dogshit recruiting had destroyed the foundation of what kept Stoke up all those years.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Oct 2019 08:40

Snowflake Royal
Win win

Doesn't know management. Doesn't actually know many of the players at all given he left 4-6 years ago.

Awful suggestion.

Hes been working in various roles at the club for about 4 years :|
Currently u18s coach.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:46

Actually got them playing pretty decent football whilst getting better results iirc.

I doubt there's many club's of Stoke's size that make many more than 15 years unbroken in the PL and they must have been close to that if not beyond it. It only takes one season of bad recruitment and your blown.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Oct 2019 08:47

Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal
Win win

Awful suggestion.

Hes been working in various roles at the club for about 4 years :|
Currently u18s coach.

Really!? Missed that.

Still, doesn't know management. Won't have had much involvement with the first XI.

Needs to get more senior in the youth set up first.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Oct 2019 08:57

Snowflake Royal
sandman
Snowflake Royal Don't be a knob OMA, no one is pretending to be an insider.

You'll have to quote it for me to read it.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 08:59

sandman
Snowflake Royal
sandman

You'll have to quote it for me to read it.

Aw Sandman doesn't like opinions that differ from his, bless. Typicial of modern society. Instead of doing what Ian does and making an argument for something you run off and hide behind the foe button. Grow up.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Oct 2019 09:00

Snowflake Royal Actually got them playing pretty decent football whilst getting better results iirc.

I doubt there's many club's of Stoke's size that make many more than 15 years unbroken in the PL and they must have been close to that if not beyond it. It only takes one season of bad recruitment and your blown.

Then it's odd that no Stoke fans speak positively about him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2019 09:05

NewCorkSeth
Snowflake Royal Actually got them playing pretty decent football whilst getting better results iirc.

I don't think thats true. He did a very good job there for 3 years (highest top level finish for 40 years), kept them up reasonably comfortably in the 4th, whilst moving away from Pulis-ball. Yes he went stale, and some dreadful signings were made, but don't think you could argue he didn't do a (very) good job for the majority of his time there

Anyway, apparently not being considered so all a bit pointless

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 10 Oct 2019 09:11

Hound
NewCorkSeth

I don't think thats true. He did a very good job there for 3 years (highest top level finish for 40 years), kept them up reasonably comfortably in the 4th, whilst moving away from Pulis-ball. Yes he went stale, and some dreadful signings were made, but don't think you could argue he didn't do a (very) good job for the majority of his time there

Anyway, apparently not being considered so all a bit pointless

Maybe I'm misrepresenting myself a bit. I am not saying he would be an awful choice (not one I would be delighted with tbh) but that his record at Stoke doesnt seem to have done him mich favours with the fans. They dont talk about him very well despite the fact he was boss for a very successful part of their history. Just look at the comments when he was offered the Southampton job.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 10 Oct 2019 09:18

Jose's sacking was probably one of the worst kept secret for a long while. Everyone knew on Sunday but it wasn't announced until Wednesday.

As there had been such a delay do we really think it was due to thrashing out a severance deal or do we think the owners have already settled upon a replacement and are going to announce soon?

In a situation like this, do managers send their CVs to the club or do the owners only go out and approach potential candidates? The betting list looks like it has been made up by all the out of work managers they could name!

You would hope that after last time that they don't put Marshall in charge against Preston.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Oct 2019 09:38

I'll be very annoyed if there is no manager in place by the start of next week tbh. Surely they must have been sounding out candidates for a while.

Just hoping they didn't put all their eggs into the Mark Hughe basket for him to turn us down, like that Castro chap did

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 10 Oct 2019 09:43

morganb Jose's sacking was probably one of the worst kept secret for a long while. Everyone knew on Sunday but it wasn't announced until Wednesday.

As there had been such a delay do we really think it was due to thrashing out a severance deal or do we think the owners have already settled upon a replacement and are going to announce soon?

In a situation like this, do managers send their CVs to the club or do the owners only go out and approach potential candidates? The betting list looks like it has been made up by all the out of work managers they could name!

You would hope that after last time that they don't put Marshall in charge against Preston.

Was the sacking reported in the Portuguese press first?.....If so its pretty obvious who leaked it.
I sincerely hope we have a new manager in place mega quickly. Don't think I can stand more "caretaker managers" making things worse as usual for a few weeks. Its a scary thought that John O Shea could be doing that job if required......Im hoping he is first on the "Exit" list.
I think the whole thing is driven by agents with regards the recruitment. No doubt the club will know who to contact if their interested and likewise the agent contact the club if theres a vacancy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2019 09:48

Hound I'll be very annoyed if there is no manager in place by the start of next week tbh. Surely they must have been sounding out candidates for a while.

Just hoping they didn't put all their eggs into the Mark Hughe basket for him to turn us down, like that Castro chap did

The longer it takes the more it suggests we are after a manager already in a job, these things take a lot longer. Hopefully that means Gareth Ainsworth.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Oct 2019 09:50

Ainsworth isn't going to shag you mate

606 posts