CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by Maneki Neko » 14 Oct 2019 14:44

Franchise FC The level of negativity to this is breathtaking.

1. No-one on here (one potential exception) will have any idea how much MB was involved in the upturn in form either last season or at the start of this.
2. No-one on here will have the slightest notion as to how successful or otherwise his ideas were when working with Mark Hughes. However unlikely, it is possible that all the good stuff in Hughes management has been driven by MB.
3. No-one on here knows anything at all about the relationship MB has with either the players or the owners.
4. No-one on here knows what's gone on with the Gomes sacking. If, as has been noted earlier, MB was taking orders from the owners rather than NH, then they may have stated directly to him : 'Sack Jose'. At which point there's a vacancy. Then MB applies for said vacancy, completely above board.
5. If MB needs a heavy to sort out some of the players, he knows who to call (would you argue with Sparky ?).

You can all make the wild assumptions, but none of you have any idea (as I said, with one potential exception).

I didn't know Jose at all but he seemed a genuinely nice guy. Sadly, in that role, being nice may not have been enough. If MB is a nasty piece of work and it starts getting the right reaction from the players, who everyone agrees are underperforming, then I for one will be extremely happy.

one of the reasons no one knows anything about him as a manager is because hes never been manager before, which in itself a valid cause for concern

that said, we have a good record with that kind of appointment in the past

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 14 Oct 2019 14:46

Maneki Neko

1. No-one on here (one potential exception) will have any idea how much MB was involved in the upturn in form either last season or at the start of this.
2. No-one on here will have the slightest notion as to how successful or otherwise his ideas were when working with Mark Hughes. However unlikely, it is possible that all the good stuff in Hughes management has been driven by MB.
3. No-one on here knows anything at all about the relationship MB has with either the players or the owners.
4. No-one on here knows what's gone on with the Gomes sacking. If, as has been noted earlier, MB was taking orders from the owners rather than NH, then they may have stated directly to him : 'Sack Jose'. At which point there's a vacancy. Then MB applies for said vacancy, completely above board.
5. If MB needs a heavy to sort out some of the players, he knows who to call (would you argue with Sparky ?).

You can all make the wild assumptions, but none of you have any idea (as I said, with one potential exception).

I didn't know Jose at all but he seemed a genuinely nice guy. Sadly, in that role, being nice may not have been enough. If MB is a nasty piece of work and it starts getting the right reaction from the players, who everyone agrees are underperforming, then I for one will be extremely happy.

one of the reasons no one knows anything about him as a manager is because hes never been manager before, which in itself a valid cause for concern

You will note that I made no mention whatsoever about him as a manager. That's because I know nothing of that either - nor do all but one of the HobNob massive.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Oct 2019 14:47

Some of these Twitter knobs should ask themselves if they are Reading fans or Jose Gomes fans.

Would be lying if I said I was thrilled by the appointment but people have to get behind him and support the team. All this talk of protests and calling Bowen a snake isn't going to help the team.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 14:47

Good post and fully agree

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 14 Oct 2019 14:48

sandman Some of these Twitter knobs should ask themselves if they are Reading fans or Jose Gomes fans.

Beautifully put.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 14 Oct 2019 14:48

URZZZZ

+2

Bigtimmeh

by Bigtimmeh » 14 Oct 2019 14:48

paultheroyal
Bigtimmeh
Notts Royal
Same. But I think now is the time for us as a fanbase to ready ourselves for the real prospect of relegation. I mean, who doesn’t fancy Oxford away next season?!

Surely what we need right now is experience? This is yet another big risk appointment.

We have to get behind the boys & back them, but the cynic in me says we are only heading 1 way

I agree. If he has new ideas he should have introduced them with Jose. He seemingly didn't, so he either has no new ideas or he held back from Jose, both of which are bad. I wonder how Jose feels about all of this. And more to the point the players. With the team in the state it is in we need experienced stability not a risk. If they want experience he don't have it. If they want to take a risk then better to take a risk with a fresh face complete new start. This iss an awkward mix of the two

or maybe, just maybe, Gomes felt his presence and suggestion obtrusive, and then that filters. Thought about that perhaps?

Yup the club statement that Bowen did well last season etc would suggest this wasn't the case but I agree Jose was the manager so his call whether to take advice or not. I suppose my concern is that if Bowen couldn't sort out our problems as sporting director I have concerns that a new job title for him will change mucht.

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 14 Oct 2019 14:50

Franchise FC
Maneki Neko

You will note that I made no mention whatsoever about him as a manager. That's because I know nothing of that either - nor do all but one of the HobNob massive.

Who is this allusive individual your refer to Fran? Is it Gazza?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 14:51

Zammo
URZZZZ

+2

+3.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:53

Why aren't supporters allowed to be concerned about this appointment? There are many things that are valid causes for it.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Oct 2019 14:53

Bitterly disappointed but Ill reserve judgement and hope all the above is true, Ill back him and hope he proves to be a golden find but he really wasn't what I was hoping for. The club again disregard experience for the "I hope this one works out" appointment again. He has to hit the ground running now or I have a feeling we will be looking for a new manager in March.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Oct 2019 14:55

Old Man Andrews Why aren't supporters allowed to be concerned about this appointment? There are many things that are valid causes for it.

There’s a difference between being concerned and being an overdramatic know it all who apparently knows everything that’s going on in the background

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Oct 2019 14:56

Old Man Andrews Why aren't supporters allowed to be concerned about this appointment? There are many things that are valid causes for it.

Im bloody concerned I can tell you. Im struggling for positives. I just hope the above comments are true because at the moment my head is telling me this is heading one way.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 14 Oct 2019 14:56

far more fun to think he is a big snake who sacked lovely Jose so he could get himself the job he craved though tbf.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 14:58

Hound far more fun to think he is a big snake who sacked lovely Jose so he could get himself the job he craved though tbf.

It is entirely plausible that that is 100% accurate though. I think thats why there is such an uproar about it.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 14:59

Ascotexgunner

Im bloody concerned I can tell you. Im struggling for positives. I just hope the above comments are true because at the moment my head is telling me this is heading one way.

Promotion?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 14 Oct 2019 15:01

Given how this has gone down I hope Bowen goes full troll mode and starts Gunter as right back on Saturday.
Sure its particularly uninspiring, but isn't the Reading way to give new players and manager at least 45mins of their first match before the motivational booing starts?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 15:02

"on paper" - he has a decent 6 games to start with....

12 points+ anyone?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Oct 2019 15:03

6ft Kerplunk Given how this has gone down I hope Bowen goes full troll mode and starts Gunter as right back on Saturday.
Sure its particularly uninspiring, but isn't the Reading way to give new players and manager at least 45mins of their first match before the motivational booing starts?

Has my full support - but if he starts Virginia in goal, I will be having words!! ;-)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Oct 2019 15:03

paultheroyal "on paper" - he has a decent 6 games to start with....

12 points+ anyone?

If he gets 0 points in the 6 games does he go?

385 posts