CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

385 posts
Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED - Mark Bowen

by Denver Royal » 22 Oct 2019 15:01

Snowflake Royal Intensity is certainly something Adam looks like he'd struggle with in any environment, training or match.

Well, it's all about opinions, but I've never thought Charlie Adam has lacked intensity during his playing career. Quite the opposite actually. Physically he's obv slower than he used to be and that comes with age, but that's something different and it doesn't mean he doesn't still play with intensity. On the other hand, I've seen a few Academy players who have lacked intensity, and have seen coaches get on them about it.

I've actually played against blokes in their 50's and believe me, they were very intense. So much so, that I was moved to talk with them afterwards, and they told me that part of that was because they knew their playing days were coming to an end and so they wanted to make the most of it, make every game count, etc. They said they were a more intense player now, in games and in training, than at various times in their past.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Oct 2019 15:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup STAR's statement re: Gomes' sacking and Bowen's appointment:

"A first time manager can work –like Pardew and McDermott – or flop as Bullivant did."

Didn't we get Bullivant because he apparently did well as manager of Barnet?? IIRC according to Bullivant responding to his critics at the time he said if you didn't know that you weren't a "student of the game".

:?:

Good to know they do their research there. McDermott managed 2 clubs before us. Slough where he was pretty successful and Woking where he had a mare......

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Oct 2019 16:22

"McDermott, WOAH
McDermott, WOAH
He used to manage Slough
He is a Royal now"

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2019 17:04

Denver Royal
Snowflake Royal Intensity is certainly something Adam looks like he'd struggle with in any environment, training or match.

Well, it's all about opinions, but I've never thought Charlie Adam has lacked intensity during his playing career. Quite the opposite actually. Physically he's obv slower than he used to be and that comes with age, but that's something different and it doesn't mean he doesn't still play with intensity. On the other hand, I've seen a few Academy players who have lacked intensity, and have seen coaches get on them about it.

I've actually played against blokes in their 50's and believe me, they were very intense. So much so, that I was moved to talk with them afterwards, and they told me that part of that was because they knew their playing days were coming to an end and so they wanted to make the most of it, make every game count, etc. They said they were a more intense player now, in games and in training, than at various times in their past.

There's nothing intense about Adam's game these days. He ambles around at a totally different pace to everyone else.

You don't need to explain to me that not all older players aren't intense.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 18:03

Snowflake Royal
Denver Royal

There's nothing intense about Adam's game these days. He ambles around at a totally different pace to everyone else.

You don't need to explain to me that not all older players aren't intense.

TBH I've slated Adam every time he's played for us and I have to say when he came on for Pele I was concerned we'd have noone decent to win the ball and then he went and did a briliant tackle outside the D, won the ball and sent a great ball to the right to start an attack.

Unfortunately he then pulled a hamstring and was out for the rest of the game.

The guy does do some good stuff, I think the issue is probably fitness I'm guessing. He has a broad physique,more like a rugby player than a footy player (literally big boneded) which probably makes him look a bit out of place, I don't know.

I think he can be a useful squad player, hopefully moreso under Bowen than Gomes who wanted everyone to play like they were the Brazil national team.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2019 18:05

Ascotexgunner
2 world wars, 1 world cup STAR's statement re: Gomes' sacking and Bowen's appointment:

"A first time manager can work –like Pardew and McDermott – or flop as Bullivant did."

Didn't we get Bullivant because he apparently did well as manager of Barnet?? IIRC according to Bullivant responding to his critics at the time he said if you didn't know that you weren't a "student of the game".

Good to know they do their research there. McDermott managed 2 clubs before us. Slough where he was pretty successful and Woking where he had a mare......

Right yeah. And surely McGhee would be the number one example of a totally new manager, which was left out the list.

But generally good statement and well written so I'm not complaining and my respect as ever goes out to STAR.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Oct 2019 23:34

Bowen on track for 2 ppg then!

What was it Gomes finished on? 0.16 over 6?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Oct 2019 00:15

Snowflake Royal Bowen on track for 2 ppg then!

What was it Gomes finished on? 0.16 over 6?

Think he's the first manager since Coppell who hasn't lost one of their first two games

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Oct 2019 06:45

Like pretty much everything he has done/said so far. Good start

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 23 Oct 2019 09:20

Lost 2 points against QPR away.

If we keep dropping points like this that's -2points per game. Over the course of a season that'd leave us with minus 92 points, which is unacceptable.

Snake must go.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Oct 2019 10:01

Hound Like pretty much everything he has done/said so far. Good start

He's clearly lit a fire somewhere as I haven't seen a Reading side put in as much effort as we did last night in a long time. Noticed him geeing up the players on the sidelines quite a lot too.

I'm pleased so far.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Oct 2019 10:03

I really like seeing Ejaria and Swift putting it about in midfield. They look much better players getting stuck in rather than dancing round the edges. Thought the midfield overall was very good and proving they aren’t just fancy dans

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Oct 2019 10:46

Starting to really like the man:

“I hate that label - 'if you play Reading it's going to be a nice game of football.' Well excuse my language but sod that. I want it to be nasty for them. If we get that right, the quality we've got in the team will take over, we'll be a better side.”

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 23 Oct 2019 12:03

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Ascotexgunner

Right yeah. And surely McGhee would be the number one example of a totally new manager, which was left out the list.

But generally good statement and well written so I'm not complaining and my respect as ever goes out to STAR.

Yes, we should have said first time managed in the League or put an asterisk in the statement.

Didn't feel the need to go back to McGhee but first-timers have done quite well for us in the past. Jimmy & Mick not so much but FROM MEMORY McGhee, Branfoot, Evans and Hurley had never managed elsewhere in the League and all won promotion for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Oct 2019 12:39

Hound Starting to really like the man:

“I hate that label - 'if you play Reading it's going to be a nice game of football.' Well excuse my language but sod that. I want it to be nasty for them. If we get that right, the quality we've got in the team will take over, we'll be a better side.”

Yeah, loved that.

Barb

by Barb » 23 Oct 2019 13:25

Bowen says all the right things, like all new managers do. Time will tell if he can get consistent results.

So far so good though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Oct 2019 13:42

Hound Starting to really like the man:

Yeah, but please have a chat with Mr Miazga about where to stop

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 23 Oct 2019 13:42

The stick he got last week quite honestly I blame the club for to a large extent ....if they'd done the press conference at the same time of the announcement and got all the issues re the appointment out in the open straightaway, a lot of the negativity from the fans, press and people like motormouth Holloway wouldn't have been there...

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 23 Oct 2019 14:53

Afternoon all, slightly disengaged Reading FC fan here. I get down to the Madjeski about two or three times a season these days after a move. Didn't make it last season at all as I was overseas.

Watched the QPR match last night and thought the team showed a lot of fight, clearly moving in the right direction under the new manager, fairly solid and unlucky with the goals.

I thought the appointment was incredibly underwhelming (and appeared slightly comical) but he should be given a chance like all managers.

The thing that really strikes me is how the social media mobs made out they were proper devastated that Gomes got given the axe. Yeah he seemed a nice bloke but jesus, i actually am gutted for the younger fans if that's there idea of a saviour. I was 16 when we got promoted under Coppell and 22 under McDermott, I was incredibly lucky to have had Reading's best period in history happen at a time in my life when I cared the most the club and football in general. Shame for Gomes but , poor poor bastards if things were even worse prior to him coming in

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Oct 2019 15:02

It was probably the same social media mob who were apoplectic with rage last December when we signed an unknown Portuguese manager who'd achieved fcuk all in the game.

I liked Gomes and will be forever grateful for the 6 months he spearheaded a seismic positive shift in the atmosphere at the club. Bowen is now charged with taking the next steps and the early signs are that he has the tactical nous to build on the foundations that Gomes laid.

385 posts