Re: MATCHWATCH : Preston North End (h) sponsored by a new hope

by Sutekh » 17 Oct 2019 13:22

Apparently Morrison is now a doubt through sickness

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Oct 2019 15:17

Sutekh Apparently Morrison is now a doubt through sickness

May not be bad news depending on what Preston do. Morrison is obviously the slowest of the three centre halves and if they choose Barkhuizen up top, he’s very quick IIRC

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2019 16:20

URZZZZ

May not be bad news depending on what Preston do. Morrison is obviously the slowest of the three centre halves and if they choose Barkhuizen up top, he’s very quick IIRC

Don't follow that closely but thought he was more of a winger?

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 17 Oct 2019 16:45

Old Man Andrews Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Rinomhota
Olise
Swift

Ejaria
Baldock
Boye

Yep, i quite like this, 4-4-3 would be my preferred formation. Maybe Puscas in for Baldock, and Baldock as sub.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 17 Oct 2019 17:42

Crowbar6753
Old Man Andrews Rafael

Gunter
Moore
Miazga
Richards

Rinomhota
Olise
Swift

Ejaria
Baldock
Boye

Yep, i quite like this, 4-4-3 would be my preferred formation. Maybe Puscas in for Baldock, and Baldock as sub.

I'd also like it if the ref was on our side for a change. Or are you suggesting playing Cabral upfront or in midfield?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Oct 2019 17:47

Hound
URZZZZ

Don't follow that closely but thought he was more of a winger?

He used to play there for them and still does sometimes like vs Barnsley. Trouble is they have plenty of good midfield options which they try and shoehorn in like Pearson, Johnson, Gallagher, Browne and Harrop whereas their only two real strikers are Nugent (who’s been injured 90% of the season) and Stockley so I guess they try and move Barkhuizen to accommodate more midfielders

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 17 Oct 2019 17:52

Fair enough. Didn’t like what I saw of Stockley last season, didn’t look great, so I can understand that

Strong side in midfield certainly

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Oct 2019 19:53

To be fair, I like Stockley sort of players just to throw on as a plan B (think he scored here last year). Technically, they may not be great but as a different option, they're a good option

Kiefer Moore for example, I was watching him for Wales against Croatia on the weekend and he was superb at leading the line. If you can utilise a big striker to their strengths, they're valuable

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 17 Oct 2019 20:09

URZZZZ To be fair, I like Stockley sort of players just to throw on as a plan B (think he scored here last year). Technically, they may not be great but as a different option, they're a good option

Kiefer Moore for example, I was watching him for Wales against Croatia on the weekend and he was superb at leading the line. If you can utilise a big striker to their strengths, they're valuable

Moore really surprised me.Much better than I expected,

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 17 Oct 2019 22:27

Zip
URZZZZ To be fair, I like Stockley sort of players just to throw on as a plan B (think he scored here last year). Technically, they may not be great but as a different option, they're a good option

Moore really surprised me.Much better than I expected,

Yeah, I thought you could have played to his strengths more in the first half, but when you did, he did the basics well, laid it off to the wingers etc...really impressed, Yann esque 2016/17

Don’t want to start a Wales debate but was really disappointed with Allen, was shocking, not sure why he’s regressed so far

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Oct 2019 18:26

Anything less than 3-0 to us and it's Bowen out.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 18 Oct 2019 19:02

Surely Gunter can’t be starting ?
Baldock deserves a go.
Maybe Macca on the bench however.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Oct 2019 20:14

We are going to get a hiding tomorrow.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2019 20:48

Joao unlikely to feature tomorrow, been in Dubai all week with the fitness coach

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Oct 2019 21:38

Tough run of games to start with for Bowen. Expecting nil points tomorrow and so anything better than that will be a bonus. In fact 3 points from Bowen's first 3 games would be quite good IMO. Sadly I fear 0 points from the next 3 is more likely and number 13 calling for his head.

Genuinely hope I am wrong.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 18 Oct 2019 23:27

My hope is that Bowen builds a team around a core of players in their natural/best positions. Managers these days seem overly focussed on formations. Resulting in the players lacking any freedom to express themselves or an understanding how they are supposed to play under match conditions. Once the opposition has sussed them out.

Give Swift a free floating role! Let's create chances for the forwards...........

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Oct 2019 23:51

It's strange, but anything better than a shambolic defeat will be seen as encouraging.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Oct 2019 00:45

tmesis It's strange, but anything better than a shambolic defeat will be seen as encouraging.

I mean, things are looking bad for us right now, but come on. Preston are a good team but a loss would be hugely disappointing and is our easiest game this week

This is why I think we'll get a point minimum tomorrow

1. New manager bounce, players have a point to prove/chance to impress
2. Beaten them 4 times at home out of the last 5, good record against them
3. Preston have only 1 win away from home so far this season
4. Joao is rumoured to be not playing

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 19 Oct 2019 00:50

I was mocked by several when I suggested we would get trounced by the quality that Fulham possess.

But tomorrow I can see us getting at least a draw. I think the club should definitely get Steve Coppell (tomorrows guest in hospitality) on the pitch pre game to rally the fans and say a few words.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Oct 2019 00:51

Lower West My hope is that Bowen builds a team around a core of players in their natural/best positions. Managers these days seem overly focussed on formations. Resulting in the players lacking any freedom to express themselves or an understanding how they are supposed to play under match conditions. Once the opposition has sussed them out.

Give Swift a free floating role! Let's create chances for the forwards...........

As soon as you try and shoehorn Swift and Ejaria into the same zone of the pitch, you have difficulties. Therefore, you have four options. Push Ejaria out wide (where people argue he's less effective?, not so sure myself), drop Swift (best player this season), drop Ejaria (for some reason, most people seem turned on by him making 300 turns and slowing the play down) or cram them both in the middle...anyway

I think back four need to be told to stick to their core jobs. Defending, ironically enough. Bombing forward from the fullbacks is a bonus, but certainly not a necessity, especially if it's interfering with their core jobs. Pele to hold (simple passes too). Rino as the engine. Swift to create. Wingers to stay out wide and make the pitch as wide as possible. Striker to always be on the move

And if Bowen does the same thing as Gomes with 0 people forward from their corners and hence a very limited chance of a counter attack, will tear my hair out. Such an odd thing to do IMO

141 posts