103 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by new manager bounce

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2019 18:16

When : Saturday 2nd November, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

Just over a year since they last rolled in, Millwall are back and under new management with Gary Rowett looking after his first away game for the club.

Following the waste of time setting out for Nottingham last week, Reading will be hoping to prove that the stirrings of something useful, that has started creeping into their game since Mr Bowen took charge, will start to amount to a bit more more than just stirrings.

As we know in this division, particularly this season, there is not going to be one easy game, everything is going to be a hard fight and Millwall won’t be any different. Currently on the up, Millwall have won 2 and drawn 1 of their last 4 but before that they failed to win any of their previous 7 league games. They are also still looking for their first league away win having drawn 4 and lost 3 of their previous 7 travels but have beaten the likes of Leeds so do have something about them that is capable of causing problems if you’re not careful. In addition, like Reading, they too are on enjoying the effectiveness of new management with 4 points from the two games their new chap has had in charge so something may have to give.

One time alleged Reading target Tom Bradshaw is in great form for them with 6 goals from 14 appearances, his main strike partner appears to be Matt Smith (no not the 12th Doctor) who has struck 3 in his 11 appearances. The other contributor of note is midfielder Jed Wallace with 5 in 12 games. One time Reading hero, Jon-Dadi, has been used largely as a substitute with 0 goals from 6 sub apps (and only 2 starts) but as we all know there’s always a first time to open a goal scoring account for a striker. Their other Reading connection, Jake Cooper, is their only ever present so far this season.

Millwall seem to be more or less fully fit while Reading continue to be without the services of injured pair Joao and Boye. Meite I believe is expected to be back in the swing of things.

This game is going to be a stern test for Reading, particularly given the not uncommon utterly wretched home performances and results of the last 2.5 years. Hope is currently strong that this is about to change but after so many false dawns there’s a still a good amount to be proven before we can all relax a little and actually regularly look forward to games at the Mad Stad.

Referee

Tony Harrington

Previously

24 Aug 19 > Huddersfield Town 0-2 Reading
30 Mar 19 > Reading 2-1 Preston North End
23-Oct 18 > Birmingham City 2-1 Reading
24-Feb-18 > Reading 3-3 Derby County
16-Sep-18 > Brentford 1-1 Reading
21-Feb-17 > Huddersfield Town 1-0 Reading
10-Dec-16 > Reading 2-1 Sheffield Wednesday
06-Feb-16 > Reading 0-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
29-Sep-15 > Burnley 1-2 Reading
01-Oct-14 > Reading 0-0 Leeds United

Historically

This will be the 97th league game against Millwall and therefore the 49th time Reading will have played them at home. Currently it is definitely a case of the home team ruling as Reading have won 28 of those 46 games and lost just 12 (more or less the opposite of the games at Millwall).

There are usually a stack of goals between the sides, Reading have netted 93 while Millwall have managed 47.

So it'll be a pretty useless (for both sides) 0-0 then.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the game
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Millwall (h) sponsored by new manager bounce

by sandman » 29 Oct 2019 18:19

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2019 18:55

Rafael

Yiadom
Two from Moore/Morrison/Miazga
Blackett

Swift
Rino

Meite
Ejaria
Baldock

Puscas

Walker Moore/Morrison/Miazga Obita Pele McCleary Olise Loader

Even though we've been playing OK the last couple of games with 5 at the back, I'd much rather see 4 at the back against lower teams, especially against a manager like Rowett. Naturally none of Moore, Miazga or Morrison deserve to be dropped so I expect 5 at the back, but we've seen that formation struggle so far against lower teams so far, losing to Boro and Blackburn

Left back choice as always is anyone's really. I've gone for Blackett out of physicality and height against a tall side but there's a case for (and against) for all three. And I said similar against Cardiff and Richards was superb there so it really doesn't bother me who plays there

Presuming Meite is back and Boye isn't here although not sure what use Boye would be in a game like this anyway

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Oct 2019 19:03

Fair shout in the 4 at the back. Would be happy with either your team or the same that started qpr

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Oct 2019 20:59

Why would you play Blackett over Obita and Richards when he`s hardly kicked a ball in anger all season? Meite is by no means guaranteed to be fit either

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2019 21:17

windermereROYAL Why would you play Blackett over Obita and Richards when he`s hardly kicked a ball in anger all season?

‘Chop and change crap’, then blame mgr after if he does same and it doesn’t work?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 29 Oct 2019 21:33, edited 2 times in total.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 29 Oct 2019 21:21

Doesn’t Alex Pearce play for them as well ?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 29 Oct 2019 21:34

Royals and Racers Doesn’t Alex Pearce play for them as well ?

Yes

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2019 21:35

windermereROYAL Why would you play Blackett over Obita and Richards when he`s hardly kicked a ball in anger all season? Meite is by no means guaranteed to be fit either

First of all, I said I’d choose Blackett because we’re playing a big physical team. But then I also said generally I don’t really mind who plays there. None of them have been good enough to hold onto the shirt but none of them have been poor enough not to play. So it’s OK really who plays there

But anyway your point is irrelevant. You can’t use that excuse because Blackett will have to play at some point or how can he ever get match fit? Different between him and Obita is that Obita was out for two years almost

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2019 21:36

Denver Royal
windermereROYAL Why would you play Blackett over Obita and Richards when he`s hardly kicked a ball in anger all season?

‘Chop and change crap’, then blame mgr after if he does same and it doesn’t work?

Wrong but don’t let me stop you from making up yet more nonsense

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2019 21:56

URZZZZ
Denver Royal

Er, I posed a question. You think it’s never happened?
Me ‘making up yet more nonesense’? Hmm, thx for that.
I haven’t been here much lately. I surely haven’t conversed with you, and likely won’t.
I’ve not often been accused of that in 30-odd years in here. Care to elaborate?
Furthermore, I note it’s an accusation that’s been leveled at you many times recently.
Btw, have I ever insulted you?
Last edited by Denver Royal on 29 Oct 2019 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2019 22:14

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Denver Royal ‘Chop and change crap’, then blame mgr after if he does same and it doesn’t work?

Me ‘making up yet more nonesense’? Hmm, thx. Care to elaborate?
Indeed, that’s an accusation that’s been leveled at you many times recently.

Of course it's happened that people inevitably blame the manager after chopping and changing but it all depends on the situation. As I said in my original post, I would choose Blackett for his height but didn't really mind either way. To then have someone say "why Blackett", it's nonsensical considering I already said why I would choose him. Hey ho - people can choose to read what they want to and ignore the rest

For the record, I'm fully aware that sometimes I post nonsense things. Guess what - most people do. But firstly, I can admit when I've overstepped the mark and secondly, I'm not taking it from "Enfield Royal71" or OMA considering they're well known to troll on here

And yes - you have "insulted" me (well, in a loose sense), re-read the Rino debate. The "yet more nonsense" comment is directed back at you after your comments last time. I don't mind - opinions and all that. For the record, you wrote "And yet your delivery, often filled with ridicule"

Concede a point :wink:
Last edited by URZZZZ on 29 Oct 2019 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Oct 2019 22:23

windermereROYAL
Royals and Racers Doesn’t Alex Pearce play for them as well ?

Yes

9 appearances so far this season so could well be him and Jake forming their central defensive partnership.

Has there been another occasion where the centre back partnership of Reading’s opponents both been former permanent players of the club?

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2019 22:40

URZZZZ
Denver Royal
URZZZZ Wrong but don’t let me stop you from making up yet more nonsense

Of course it's happened that people inevitably blame the manager after chopping and changing but it all depends on the situation. As I said in my original post, I would choose Blackett for his height but didn't really mind either way. To then have someone say "why Blackett", it's nonsensical considering I already said why I would choose him. Hey ho - people can choose to read what they want to and ignore the rest

For the record, I'm fully aware that sometimes I post nonsense things. Guess what - most people do. But firstly, I can admit when I've overstepped the mark and secondly, I'm not taking it from "Enfield Royal71" or OMA considering they're well known to troll on here

And yes - you have "insulted" me (well, in a loose sense), re-read the Rino debate. The "yet more nonsense" comment is directed back at you after your comments last time. I don't mind - opinions and all that

The ‘Rino’ thing? Good grief man. I said one line, that you’ve quoted repeatedly, back in Dec of last year wasn’t it? I’ve never said anything b4 or since about him. It was just my observation of an Academy grad, at that time, re. his dev going forward.
And, people have said as much, and more, since.

(Didn’t you actually PM me and say we were cool on that going forward? Except that, you weren’t, and you’ve leveraged it for ridicule since? I may still have that, btw).
I can assure you, I’ve critiqued much younger players than him.

You’ve wrote, not one liners, but volumes re. Loader, Richards? And Meite, and Eja, and 1871 ?. And, I haven’t called you on it?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2019 23:00

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Denver Royal Er, I posed a question. You think it’s never happened?

And yes - you have "insulted" me (well, in a loose sense), re-read the Rino debate. The "yet more nonsense" comment is directed back at you after your comments last time. I don't mind - opinions and all that

The ‘Rino’ thing? Good grief man. I said one line, that you’ve quoted repeatedly, back in Dec of last year wasn’t it? I’ve never said anything b4 or since about him. It was just my observation of an Academy grad, at that time, re. his dev going forward.
(Didn’t you actually PM me and say we were cool on that going forward? Except that, you weren’t, and you’ve leveraged it for ridicule since? I may still have that, btw).
You’ve said not one liners, but volumes re. Loader, Richards? And Meite, and ?. And, I haven’t called you on it.

As you said your after comments in August, I find that hard to believe! Yes, your original comments were back in December last year but then you got involved in the Rino argument in the Cardiff match thread. Re-read that yourself if you don't believe me.

I can assure you I haven't ever sent you a PM. Although I do recall you sending something to me along those lines back in April time (around that anyway. Maybe you're getting confused with that or with another poster)

I have no problem with you. I just didn't appreciate the sly dig personally. Whether or not it was intended in that way, no-one knows apart from you. And I'm sorry if it wasn't. But we all interpret things in our own way

I was merely confused why you were criticizing a player for lack of goals when it wasn't his job! In saying that, I criticized Ejaria for lack of assists (his job), I criticized Meite when he wasn't scoring (his job), I criticized Richards when he was letting goals in (his job), I criticized 1871 for their lack of following principles (what THEY proposed). I'm happy to admit, as a player, all three of them have improved. I'm happy to say Club1871 has improved the atmosphere. My query to you was that your observations, in my eyes, made zero sense. Just like my observations about those players may make no sense to you. It's part and parcel of a forum

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 29 Oct 2019 23:19

URZZZZ
Denver Royal
URZZZZ

You’ve said not one liners, but volumes re. Loader, Richards? And Meite, and ?. And, I haven’t called you on it.

As you said your after comments in August, I find that hard to believe! Yes, your original comments were back in December last year but then you got involved in the Rino argument in the Cardiff match thread. Re-read that yourself if you don't believe me.

I can assure you I haven't ever sent you a PM. Although I do recall you sending something to me along those lines back in April time (around that anyway. Maybe you're getting confused with that or with another poster)

I have no problem with you. I just didn't appreciate the sly dig personally. Whether or not it was intended in that way, no-one knows apart from you. And I'm sorry if it wasn't. But we all interpret things in our own way

Arguments? Or, a forum for discussion. Which, should be encouraged, right?
And, maybe less ‘competitive’ as you outed yourself to be.
I’ve made observations of players as young as 5 years old.
Yes, at that time, in a one liner, going forward, I felt his career (and the team’s) may be enhanced with him dev more offense. Others have since said more. Zero sense to you, and it’s not his job? Ok.
Again, bottom line, you’ve criticized Academy grads....waaay more than I have. And, other young players like Meite and Eja too.
If I rode you on that (which I haven’t, right?), would that facilitate discussion?
See ya.
Last edited by Denver Royal on 29 Oct 2019 23:54, edited 2 times in total.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Oct 2019 23:43

I don't think Bowen will chop and change too much (not sure what I'm basing that on!) So sticking with the side v Preston wouldn't surprise me. Thought we controlled that game pretty well and Pele was excellent in front of the defence. Baldock for Meite if not fit.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 29 Oct 2019 23:44

Denver Royal
URZZZZ
Denver Royal The ‘Rino’ thing? Good grief man. I said one line, that you’ve quoted repeatedly, back in Dec of last year wasn’t it? I’ve never said anything b4 or since about him. It was just my observation of an Academy grad, at that time, re. his dev going forward.

Arguments? Or, a forum for discussion. Which, should be encouraged?
Again, you’ve criticized Academy grads....waaay more than I have.
If I rode you on that (which I haven’t, right?), would that facilitate discussion?

Well, I’d say a discussion doesn’t involve two people name calling (your initial posts back in December with SR) and then you saying my posts are often filled with “ridicule” back in August. And it’s ok if you think that because at least you’re being honest. A discussion is different and I’d like to think most of the time, we can and do do that (the Rino “discussion” is a one off hopefully in that regard)

And I believe you when you say you’ve made observations of players younger than Rino. You’re generally considered a good poster on here who talks sense. Of course my “yet more nonsense” comment was slightly tongue in cheek and is an example of me writing before I think (surely most are guilty of that)

It wasn’t the fact you criticised an academy player. By all means, any pro (no matter how old/young) has room for improvement and it’s good to teach them at a young age. I just completely disagreed with your observation. That’s normal, isn’t it? If you said the same thing about Baker, I’d have said the same thing. Doesn’t matter if he’s an academy player. You made good points that Rino didn’t score/create enough to be a box to box player. And I agreed with you there. But that doesn’t make him any worse a player, surely? As you hinted at

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 30 Oct 2019 02:10

URZZZZ
Denver Royal
URZZZZ

Arguments? Or, a forum for discussion. Which, should be encouraged?
Again, you’ve criticized Academy grads....waaay more than I have.

Well, I’d say a discussion doesn’t involve two people name calling (your initial posts back in December with SR) and then you saying my posts are often filled with “ridicule” back in August. And it’s ok if you think that because at least you’re being honest. A discussion is different and I’d like to think most of the time, we can and do do that (the Rino “discussion” is a one off hopefully in that regard)

And I believe you when you say you’ve made observations of players younger than Rino. You’re generally considered a good poster on here who talks sense. Of course my “yet more nonsense” comment was slightly tongue in cheek and is an example of me writing before I think (surely most are guilty of that)

It wasn’t the fact you criticised an academy player. By all means, any pro (no matter how old/young) has room for improvement and it’s good to teach them at a young age. I just completely disagreed with your observation. That’s normal, isn’t it? If you said the same thing about Baker, I’d have said the same thing. Doesn’t matter if he’s an academy player. You made good points that Rino didn’t score/create enough to be a box to box player. And I agreed with you there. But that doesn’t make him any worse a player, surely? As you hinted at

You’ve no problem with me? Gee, thx!
I’m a good poster who talks sense? (Yeah, if only you were an authority.)
You were only tongue in cheek? Er, ok.
Stop ref me and SR a year ago for your personal agenda and manipulation.
Not that you’d know, but SR and I have agreed, and disagreed, many many times the last 30-odd years. It worked well, and it facilitated you. A beautiful thing, huh?
Loong b4 you showed up and graced us with your presence.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Oct 2019 07:42

Great and interesting argument that fellas. Do keep it going :lol:

103 posts