BFTG - Brentford

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

BFTG - Brentford

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 23 Nov 2019 21:14

Well, that was a funny old game.
First up, I think Brentford are probably the best passing side I've seen all season. Pinged the ball around very well - quick and sharp - and we matched them for the first half. Brentford used their very wide men, hugging the touchline, to give Yids and Omar a torrid time tracking back.
Bowen's comments and the BBC report have it spot on.
Lost shape chasing the game - Puscas is really out of sorts and really Yakou and Boye offer very little. (I think Joao offers even less.)
On the bright side, the workrate, speed and selfless running of Baldock is a major plus.
Never looked like scoring, but apart from ten minutes in the second half, neither did Brentford.
A tough day against a very good Brentford side.
A few decent beers before and after in the Brook - and thanks to the "short arse and the tall chap" who came up with a ticket 20 minutes before kick-off.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Brentford

by Lower West » 23 Nov 2019 22:25

Bowen probably learnt more from this game than the previous 4. Brentford's formation exposed the limitations of the 5-3-2 system.

Yiadom suspended for Leeds. Baldock will be out with what appears to be a hamstring injury.

Who's going to get the call up?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Nov 2019 22:29

Lower West Bowen probably learnt more from this game than the previous 4. Brentford's formation exposed the limitations of the 5-3-2 system.

Yiadom suspended for Leeds. Baldock will be out with what appears to be a hamstring injury.

I would think Gunter and Meite will come in.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Nov 2019 22:59

Such a disappointing performance and result to the dismay of the tremendous travelling support from the loyal Royals. . It felt like a home game the noise we were making but the players responded with the worst display under Bowen’s reign to date. We were really rubbish and managed just one shot on target the whole game and when we went one nil down our reaction and response was pathetic with their goalie literally not having to make one save in the second half. Play like that against Leeds Tuesday we’ll be battered.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 24 Nov 2019 02:02

Terrible game
Terrible goal
Terrible performance
Terrible weather
Terrible ground
To sum up terrible

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Nov 2019 03:51

Looking at their forum they really don't like us, seems a bit random.

Is it because we got promoted at their place?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 24 Nov 2019 07:11

Thought about going to the game but had to go to a union conference in the morning and Catenian dinner in the evening. Overall a pretty productive and enjoyable day though.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 24 Nov 2019 07:31

What does one eat at a 'Catanian dinner' whatever that is? I could Google Catanian dinner but I can't be arsed although I could have done so in the time it has taken me to write this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 24 Nov 2019 08:06

Jackson Corner Terrible game
Terrible goal
Terrible performance
Terrible weather
Terrible ground
To sum up terrible

Sounds a cracking day out

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Nov 2019 08:30

Genuinely surprised by the negativity. Bowen's just won 3 drawn 1 and we've lost by 1 goal away in a tight match against a team that's been consistently top half for years and is currently 8th to our 18th.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Nov 2019 09:34

Lower West Bowen probably learnt more from this game than the previous 4. Brentford's formation exposed the limitations of the 5-3-2 system.

Agree with the first point. Last time we had a loss after a good run of results, we slipped down the table, even against easier opposition (Boro+Blackburn). After Leeds, we have such a favourable run in up until the end of December, I can really see us getting a lot of points there and it’ll make/break our season

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Nov 2019 10:16

Cripple Creek What does one eat at a 'Catanian dinner' whatever that is? I could Google Catanian dinner but I can't be arsed although I could have done so in the time it has taken me to write this.

Thought they were like masons for Catholics

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Nov 2019 10:34

tidus_mi2 Looking at their forum they really don't like us, seems a bit random.

Is it because we got promoted at their place?

Promoted at their expense is part of it. Bigger part is that they perceive that we stripped their squad under Pardew and Coppell. They’re particularly bitter about Sidwell. I think the only player we actually signed from them was Sonko but a few others (Sidwell, Ingimarsson, Owusu) came to us via other clubs.

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 24 Nov 2019 10:47

Dick Habbin's hairdo A few decent beers before and after in the Brook - and thanks to the "short arse and the tall chap" who came up with a ticket 20 minutes before kick-off.

Was that the Driscoll Brothers?

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 24 Nov 2019 10:51

Cripple Creek What does one eat at a 'Catanian dinner' whatever that is? I could Google Catanian dinner but I can't be arsed although I could have done so in the time it has taken me to write this.

I had a soup for starters, veggie lasagne, and Creme brûlée for dessert.

Dunno what Catanian is. The Catenians are the Catholic Masons.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 24 Nov 2019 10:52

Terrible goal
Terrible performance
Terrible weather
Terrible ground
To sum up terrible

"Terrible" post

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Nov 2019 11:28

Hound
Terrible goal
Terrible performance
Terrible weather
Terrible ground
To sum up terrible

Sounds a cracking day out

Glen Little reckoned Reading about shaded the first half but then Brentford ramped up the challenge down the wings and Reading just didn’t adjust tactics to try and nullify that better in the second half. Certainly consensus was this was not as bad as the trips to Brizzle or ‘boro.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 24 Nov 2019 11:53

St Pauli

Even the fcuking catholics are at it.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 24 Nov 2019 13:44

leon
St Pauli

Even the fcuking catholics are at it.

If you can think of somewhere else I can get middle aged Glaswegians doing 1970s stand up routines in Reading I’d like to see it.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 24 Nov 2019 14:33

I was really disappointed with our performance. 2nd half was very poor and we looked tired.

Brentford aren't a bad team though, we gave them a tight game. Think if we played like in recent weeks we'd have snuck a draw.

The lack of Puscas goals are really worrying me. Feels like Vydra all over again.