Reading FC team of the decade

125 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Reading FC team of the decade

by Hendo » 03 Dec 2019 13:31

SCIAG Blackman has to be in contention, outside that run of 10 games where he was unplayable he was utter utter pony. And he cost us £1.5m when that still meant something.

Although we did get a reported £3m for him :shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Dec 2019 13:42

URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? I'd rather have a player who was shit and at least tried than a player who is good but can't be arsed.

Well, to be honest I'd rather have neither but would show more appreciation for the former. But it's a question of expectation. You cant buy an average League 2 player and expect them to perform in the Premiership or Championship. You can expect a player who's spent his whole career in the top 2 flights and is still in his mid 20's to be a bit more than a "bit of a twat, not what we needed, expected or hoped for".

To be fair though, the question wasn't "Worst Reading FC team of the decade relative to experience/money". We're not taking into account where they came from, how much we spent etc, it's just generally the worst players you've seen. Akpan was worse than Guthrie, albeit with a better attitude but that's irrelevant in this example

I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, just trying to put a different slant on it and I do think there is some room for context.

Would we have even signed Akpan if Guthrie hadn't been so underwhelming?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Dec 2019 13:45

From Despair To Where?
URZZZZ
From Despair To Where? I'd rather have a player who was shit and at least tried than a player who is good but can't be arsed.

Well, to be honest I'd rather have neither but would show more appreciation for the former. But it's a question of expectation. You cant buy an average League 2 player and expect them to perform in the Premiership or Championship. You can expect a player who's spent his whole career in the top 2 flights and is still in his mid 20's to be a bit more than a "bit of a twat, not what we needed, expected or hoped for".

To be fair though, the question wasn't "Worst Reading FC team of the decade relative to experience/money". We're not taking into account where they came from, how much we spent etc, it's just generally the worst players you've seen. Akpan was worse than Guthrie, albeit with a better attitude but that's irrelevant in this example

I'm not saying anyone's right or wrong, just trying to put a different slant on it and I do think there is some room for context.

Would we have even signed Akpan if Guthrie hadn't been so underwhelming?

Not sure about that, but they're completely different players and I think McDermott was aiming for a more pragmatic style to stay up

Ball players didn't particularly suit McDermott's style. Which isn't a criticism of him at all, every manager has their own succinct style

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Dec 2019 13:54

Even if Guthrie wasn't right for McD, he should have been the right sort of player to flourish under Adkins, especially in the Championship. Ultimately a big disappointment.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Dec 2019 14:37

I'd put Guthrie on the bench for my worst 11 but then he'd probably refuse to travel and be on it.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 03 Dec 2019 14:48

Hendo
Franchise FC
Hendo
Also, also, Morrison has been here for 4 months, how can he be in team of the decade? :|

linkenholtroyal - you have questions to answer.

Sean perhaps ?

Forgot about him, if it is Sean, the question then has to be asked, how did he get into TOTD and Mariappa got into WTOTD?

Moore or Pearce certainly get in ahead of Sean Morrison.

In regards to all of the above in order (replying to everyone)
1) I never liked Marriapa and he was always a bit of a liability in my eyes (maybe just I expected more when we signed him)
2) it was a hard one between Pog and Vydra they both came with big hype as big game players for me I went for the biggest let down in one of the worst periods for our club in Pog.
3) Carrico played a couple of times in CM and was dog s***e there worst player I could remember playing cm much worse defender so if CM only I would switch Meyler for him
4) I thought Harding was still here in 2010 so put my hands up for that one.
5) HRK was overrated and the worst of the LM we have had over the years worst of a pretty even bunch.
6) Simon Church never rated and never proved me wrong afterwards.
7) it was Sean Morrison who was a very good up and coming CB who we should have kept and not let go. he is the CB that Reading have probably needed ever since he left and if we could sign him back I would be ecstatic. also FYI Pearce was very good but a mercenary and I don't think Moore is quite there yet. this year I would actually rate Morrison (Michael) as the best CB over all the performances.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Dec 2019 16:55

linkenholtroyal
Hendo
Franchise FC Sean perhaps ?

Forgot about him, if it is Sean, the question then has to be asked, how did he get into TOTD and Mariappa got into WTOTD?

1) I never liked Marriapa and he was always a bit of a liability in my eyes (maybe just I expected more when we signed him)
2) it was a hard one between Pog and Vydra they both came with big hype as big game players for me I went for the biggest let down in one of the worst periods for our club in Pog.
3) Carrico played a couple of times in CM and was dog s***e there worst player I could remember playing cm much worse defender so if CM only I would switch Meyler for him
5) HRK was overrated and the worst of the LM we have had over the years worst of a pretty even bunch.
7) it was Sean Morrison who was a very good up and coming CB who we should have kept and not let go. he is the CB that Reading have probably needed ever since he left and if we could sign him back I would be ecstatic. also FYI Pearce was very good but a mercenary and I don't think Moore is quite there yet. this year I would actually rate Morrison (Michael) as the best CB over all the performances.

I thought Carrico played twice in midfield for us. Once against WBA where he was miles off the pace but understandably and once against Liverpool where he was superb. Think it’s a bit harsh

I see your point about HRK but I think he offered more than the likes of Drenthe, John and Piazon

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Dec 2019 17:21

URZZZZ
linkenholtroyal
Hendo

I thought Carrico played twice in midfield for us. Once against WBA where he was miles off the pace but understandably and once against Liverpool where he was superb. Think it’s a bit harsh

I see your point about HRK but I think he offered more than the likes of Drenthe, John and Piazon

Way more than that trio of wasters.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Dec 2019 23:28

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
linkenholtroyal

Way more than that trio of wasters.

Agreed although Piazon showed glimpses under Clarke. Complete non-entity and a waste of shirt with McDermott though

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Dec 2019 00:14

sandman I'd put Guthrie on the bench for my worst 11 but then he'd probably refuse to travel and be on it.

To be fair, it probably came as a shock to him being part of a squad pushing for the Champions League to sharing a bench with Dominic Samuel. Not excusing it mind

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 04 Dec 2019 09:19

Hendo
SCIAG Blackman has to be in contention, outside that run of 10 games where he was unplayable he was utter utter pony. And he cost us £1.5m when that still meant something.

Contender for worse signing and best sale/best piece of business then.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Dec 2019 09:47

linkenholtroyal
Hendo
Franchise FC Sean perhaps ?

very harsh on pearce

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Dec 2019 09:51

SCIAG Roberts would be competing with NHunt for the fourth spot in my squad. Long and Kermorgant have obviously been better and Le Fondre’s threat from the bench was immense.

All of them disadvantaged because Sigurdsson means we can only use one striker. Unless we play some sort of 3-4-1-2... but presumably that’s Kebe and McAnuff at wing back and all our full backs either excluded or pushed to centre back.

Al-Habsi; Pearce, Moore, Harte; Kebe, Leigertwood, Norwood, McAnuff; Sigurdsson; Long, Kermorgant

Subs: McCarthy, Gorkss, Karacan, Tshibola, McCleary, Swift, Le Fondre

OK that’s pretty great.

NoROFLwood

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2019 11:29

Maneki Neko al habsi

harte
gorkss
pearce
griffin

kebe
sigurdsson
liegertwood
mcanuff

kermorgant
long
swift

subs
karacan
le fondre

4-4-3 formation? That's bold

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2019 11:31

Forbury Lion
Hendo

Contender for worse signing and best sale/best piece of business then.

This decade? Sure, previous decade surely has to be Greg Halford?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2019 11:34

Snowflake Royal Worst Xi

Virginia
Rinomhota
M Williams (credit Urzzz)
Khumalo
Knight
Meyler
Piazon
Drenthe
John
Samuel
Smith

This is quite hard because I just don't remember many shit players. Certainly not enough for a full XI and many it's harsh to pick anyone. Couldn't think of a single actively poor RB.

Rinomhota?!

Or are you specifically saying Rinomhota at right-back? Because that's a little harsh...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2019 11:35

genome
Snowflake Royal Worst Xi

Virginia
Rinomhota
Khumalo
Knight
Meyler
Piazon
Drenthe
John
Samuel
Smith

This is quite hard because I just don't remember many shit players. Certainly not enough for a full XI and many it's harsh to pick anyone. Couldn't think of a single actively poor RB.

Rinomhota?!

Or are you specifically saying Rinomhota at right-back? Because that's a little harsh...

Would rather have Rino at RB than Shaun Cummings - was the only good game he played for us the away Play-Off tie at Cardiff?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2019 11:36

Hendo
genome
Snowflake Royal Worst Xi

Virginia
Rinomhota
Khumalo
Knight
Meyler
Piazon
Drenthe
John
Samuel
Smith

Rinomhota?!

Would rather have Rino at RB than Shaun Cummings - was the only good game he played for us the away Play-Off tie at Cardiff?

I fondly remember him clearing off the line with an overhead kick against Charlton once. That's about it.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Dec 2019 11:40

Hendo
genome
Snowflake Royal Worst Xi

Virginia
Rinomhota
Khumalo
Knight
Meyler
Piazon
Drenthe
John
Samuel
Smith

Rinomhota?!

Cummings was decent enough under McDermott and Adkins, slightly harsh

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2019 11:57

genome
Snowflake Royal Worst Xi

Virginia
Rinomhota
Khumalo
Knight
Meyler
Piazon
Drenthe
John
Samuel
Smith

Rinomhota?!

At RB, because I couldn't think of a poor RB.

He's my current favourite midfielder.

125 posts