BFTG Wigan

hughsies no.1

BFTG Wigan

by hughsies no.1 » 01 Dec 2019 07:59

First 75 minutes - freezing cold, looking around at an empty stadium, looking at my team who just didn’t look like scoring and were being beaten by a dreadful Wigan side , thinking what the F am I still doing here...

Then as football has a funny way doing, it turned out to be a top away day, three goals, winning from behind and a Puscas hat-trick - making me realise why I was still there!

Views on the game:
- Team news was obviously worrying with no Ejaria or Swift and zero creativity in the middle of the park

- Wigan were dreadful, very sloppy goal for us to concede but aside from that offered nothing and certainly a team we should be beating with the quality in our squad

- Subs changed the game, Joao and Boye gave us energy and purpose and credit to Bowen switching to 4-4-2, it worked, but I believe the subs were more important than the system change

- Meite/ GMac - both give their all but in terms of quality are not on same level as Joao and Boye, obvious changes for next weekend

- Liam Moore on free kicks was a new one, he’s already on throw ins - goal kicks & pens next?

- Puscas - tbh he was offering nothing then scored 3 goals - fair play to Bowen for keeping him on. Sticking the penalty down the middle was brave too, happy for him to do nothing if he scores and wins us games. Hopefully this will boost his confidence

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Wigan

by St Pauli » 01 Dec 2019 08:03

Thought about going to this, but was 213 miles away in Leith, Scotland, so went to Hibs Killie instead. No alcohol available inside the ground wtf?

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 01 Dec 2019 09:23

hughsies no.1 First 75 minutes - freezing cold, looking around at an empty stadium, looking at my team who just didn’t look like scoring and were being beaten by a dreadful Wigan side , thinking what the F am I still doing here...

Then as football has a funny way doing, it turned out to be a top away day, three goals, winning from behind and a Puscas hat-trick - making me realise why I was still there!

Views on the game:
- Team news was obviously worrying with no Ejaria or Swift and zero creativity in the middle of the park

- Wigan were dreadful, very sloppy goal for us to concede but aside from that offered nothing and certainly a team we should be beating with the quality in our squad

- Subs changed the game, Joao and Boye gave us energy and purpose and credit to Bowen switching to 4-4-2, it worked, but I believe the subs were more important than the system change

- Meite/ GMac - both give their all but in terms of quality are not on same level as Joao and Boye, obvious changes for next weekend

- Liam Moore on free kicks was a new one, he’s already on throw ins - goal kicks & pens next?

- Puscas - tbh he was offering nothing then scored 3 goals - fair play to Bowen for keeping him on. Sticking the penalty down the middle was brave too, happy for him to do nothing if he scores and wins us games. Hopefully this will boost his confidence

In ref to mccleary I think he has just as much quality as those two when played in his natural winger position and this was telling for the third goal. If Bowen plays a formation to accommodate a winger, mccleary will be involved for sure. I've seen nothing to suggest those two are on different levels but their introductions on this occasion made a direct impact.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Dec 2019 09:29

WestRoyal
hughsies no.1 First 75 minutes - freezing cold, looking around at an empty stadium, looking at my team who just didn’t look like scoring and were being beaten by a dreadful Wigan side , thinking what the F am I still doing here...

Views on the game:

In ref to mccleary I think he has just as much quality as those two when played in his natural winger position and this was telling for the third goal. If Bowen plays a formation to accommodate a winger, mccleary will be involved for sure.

Didn't the third goal (as the one the other week when he definitely wasn't playing wide) come from McCleary pressing high centrally and stealing the ball?

Meite caused loads of problems in the first half. As he did against Leeds. To be honest I'd have fancied him to score the pen or Puscas's third if he was Johnny on the spot.

McCleary's first touch for much of the game was terrible.

EDIT: second viewing it was wider than I thought, so take it back, definitely from the wing.

That second goal. :)
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 01 Dec 2019 09:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 01 Dec 2019 09:41

Views on the game:

Please no.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 01 Dec 2019 09:47

Snowflake Royal
WestRoyal

Views on the game:

In ref to mccleary I think he has just as much quality as those two when played in his natural winger position and this was telling for the third goal. If Bowen plays a formation to accommodate a winger, mccleary will be involved for sure.

Didn't the third goal (as the one the other week when he definitely wasn't playing wide) come from McCleary pressing high centrally and stealing the ball?

Meite caused loads of problems in the first half. As he did against Leeds. To be honest I'd have fancied him to score the pen or Puscas's third if he was Johnny on the spot.

So your saying because he won the ball and scored or assisted when he was playing more central that is his best position. He looks a more accomplished player out wide, watching him over the years makes it pretty obvious. If swift has a couple of good runs out wide and cuts the ball back for a goal and scores another do you suddenly say he looks best out wide?

As for his touch which is usually decent yes it wasn't the best but wasn't that his first 90 mins this season? And what bearing does that have on his position

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Dec 2019 09:55

Cabral - 6 very little to do, but spilled a tricky save into danger for their goal.
Yiadom - 6 some good some bad, provides a real out let, but still holds onto it too long too often and should mix up cutting inside with whipping in more crosses
Richards - 5 not a great game by his recent standards
Moore - 7 not a set piece taker :lol: but solid in defence
Morrison - 7 I love this guy in the middle of a three
Miazga - 7 defensively good as always but did 'block' Meite's piledriver. :lol:
Rinomhota - 6 quite than normal but more attacking responsibility that doesn't quite suit him
Pele - 7 some really good moments
McCleary - 6 created a goal and worked hard but no replacement for Swift or Ejaria and his second touch was too often a challenge.
Puscas - 4/9 before the pen, loose passing, plodding and poor control. After the pen sublime. That nutmeg for the second!
Meite - 8 my MotM until the goal flurry, gave us an out, forced free kicks, at the heart of all we did well going forward

Joao - 7 looked tidy and offered something different and more creativity compared to the bulldozer approach of Meite and Puscas. Before the goals I'd have said Puscas has to make way for him or Baldock.
Boye - 7 'won' the penalty. Still don't see much there tbh, skillful but never impresses me
Adam - N/A stream had gone down by the time he came on.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Dec 2019 09:59

WestRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestRoyal

So your saying because he won the ball and scored or assisted when he was playing more central that is his best position. He looks a more accomplished player out wide, watching him over the years makes it pretty obvious. If swift has a couple of good runs out wide and cuts the ball back for a goal and scores another do you suddenly say he looks best out wide?

As for his touch which is usually decent yes it wasn't the best but wasn't that his first 90 mins this season? And what bearing does that have on his position

I think you've misunderstood, and missed my edit.

Yes, obviously McCleary is a winger first and foremost. I don't think we're better off playing 4-4-2 and wingers from the off, except when Swift AND Ejaria and maybe Olise are out. But if we do, then yes McCleary should be playing.

I don't think he's up to starting in place of both Swift and Ejaria centrally though. Subbing for one, yeah.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 Dec 2019 10:09

Anyway, I was explaining to a chap I met while having a cigarette outside arbor half time that we were never going to score and that Puscas should be hooked off during the break.

He wasn’t hooked off obviously and got a hat-trick. Even my young daughter shook her head at me and mentioned my appalling punditry.

Well, there you go and elated as I was at the victory it shouldn’t disguise the fact that we were toothless for much of the game.

Fair play to Bowen for administering what must have been a scathing teamtalk at half time and Wigan must have been surprised when we brought on a bow-legged Messi in the second half (Boye) and a clearly up for it Jao. That did for them really.

The penalty looked soft for me. Not even sure what it was given for although I was right on top of the incident. Handball?

Puscas second goal. Just wow.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 01 Dec 2019 10:35

Norfolk Royal
He wasn’t hooked off obviously and got a hat-trick. Even my young daughter shook her head at me and mentioned my appalling punditry.

XXX

The penalty looked soft for me. Not even sure what it was given for although I was right on top of the incident. Handball?

Yeah don't change your job and going in for football commentary ... stone wall penalty ... could have given two, one for handball, second for going through Boye.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 01 Dec 2019 10:42

Norfolk Royal The penalty looked soft for me. Not even sure what it was given for although I was right on top of the incident. Handball?

EFL Show (which we are always last on) said it was for handball not the challenge as Boye was already going down. They (Murray and Holloway) implied we were lucky it was given.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Dec 2019 10:45

Yeah in what world is running straight into someone and knocking them over with no attempt to play the ball long after it's been passed not a foul?

The handball? Not sure on the wording of the law these days. Clearly got blocked by his hand but it was in a relatively natural position down by his side... maybe a bit too extended from his body.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 01 Dec 2019 10:53

The defender got the ball and then took Boye out so I’m not sure the challenge was worthy of a foul. That’s how I thought it worked anyway

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 01 Dec 2019 10:58

URZZZZ The defender got the ball and then took Boye out so I’m not sure the challenge was worthy of a foul. That’s how I thought it worked anyway

But he only got the ball after it hit his hand.

I think it’s one of those that if it gets given against you, you can pick loads of holes in it but I think it’s a foul. If someone does that outside the box it would 100% be a free kick.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 01 Dec 2019 11:50

Half our team immediately appealed for handball.

Don't think the defender got the ball after he handled it. He wiped Boye out as the ball rolled out of play untouched. Under the current interpretation of handball, it was a clear penalty which is where the EFL pundits get confused because they don't understand the current interpretation.

And Boye was only started going to ground after the defender clattered him.

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 01 Dec 2019 12:58

Snowflake Royal
WestRoyal
Snowflake Royal Didn't the third goal (as the one the other week when he definitely wasn't playing wide) come from McCleary pressing high centrally and stealing the ball?

I think you've misunderstood, and missed my edit.

Yes, obviously McCleary is a winger first and foremost. I don't think we're better off playing 4-4-2 and wingers from the off, except when Swift AND Ejaria and maybe Olise are out. But if we do, then yes McCleary should be playing.

I don't think he's up to starting in place of both Swift and Ejaria centrally though. Subbing for one, yeah.

I don't think anyone thinks he should be staring in front of Ejara or swift and I never suggested it, why would I. I also didn't say we were better playing 442 either as I think Bowen knows his best formation(wing backs) when all his players are fit but its good he is not afraid to change it if things are not working.

No i didn't misunderstand your edit, you said 'Didn't the third goal (as the one the other week when he definitely wasn't playing wide) come from McCleary pressing high centrally and stealing the ball?'

Yes he wasn't playing out wide but your above statement would suggest he's now better centrally because of those two occasions where he was fortunate with his pressing.

My original post was merely highlighting that I have not seen anything yet to suggest boye and joao are a level up in quality from mccleary, Reading supporters opinion's on players change like the weather with every game.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 01 Dec 2019 15:03

URZZZZ The defender got the ball and then took Boye out so I’m not sure the challenge was worthy of a foul. That’s how I thought it worked anyway

Think you need to rewatch it. Boye flicks the ball to try and get it central, it hits the defenders hand, the defender flops on top of Boye. There was no attempt at any point to win the ball. I'm amazed it was given for the handball and not for clumsily running into Boye.

The only thing I want to highlight now about the game is how well Joao played. He dropped a little deeper than I thought he would but it worked. It's almost like he plays inbetween a 10 and a 9. It worked but I'm not sure it always will. Other than Puscas and Yiadom I thought he was the best player on the pitch for us.

Good movement, passing and aerial presence. Likely to stay on the bench for Birmingham. Offers something different so could be our plan B.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 01 Dec 2019 15:29

Snowflake Royal Cabral - 6 very little to do, but spilled a tricky save into danger for their goal.
Yiadom - 6 some good some bad, provides a real out let, but still holds onto it too long too often and should mix up cutting inside with whipping in more crosses
Rinomhota - 6 quite than normal but more attacking responsibility that doesn't quite suit him
McCleary - 6 created a goal and worked hard but no replacement for Swift or Ejaria and his second touch was too often a challenge.
Puscas - 4/9 before the pen, loose passing, plodding and poor control. After the pen sublime. That nutmeg for the second!
Meite - 8 my MotM until the goal flurry, gave us an out, forced free kicks, at the heart of all we did well going forward

Joao - 7 looked tidy and offered something different and more creativity compared to the bulldozer approach of Meite and Puscas. Before the goals I'd have said Puscas has to make way for him or Baldock.
Boye - 7 'won' the penalty. Still don't see much there tbh, skillful but never impresses me

Did you actually go, or is this back from the IPad highlights?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Dec 2019 17:24

What he hell did I watch?

A crap game but I felt we were the better team and their goal was against the run of play.

Then Bowen master strokes. 4-4-2. Boye and João who were just brilliant.

Puscas picking the ball up for the pen (he was awful all game till that point and I was about to turn on him tbh) and I thought God no.

Then he reminded us over the next 5mins why some of us were hinting at him being world class. That second goal. Wow. This guy can do something out of nothing. Give him confodence and he is one of the most dangerous strikers in the division. How are you meant to defend against someone who can just burst into brilliance unpredictably!??

But not just him. Did anyone notice Pele and his moments of Ejarieness? Close control of the ball taking it past twenty players taking the piss like they weren't there?

Boye also. His energy and ability to make stuff happen out of nothing just brilliant.

João. Yeah we like to hate him but he was just excellent doing exactly what was required.

GMac YET AGAIN with his blistering pace catching another defender off guard leading to another goal!?

What's more these are all SQUAD players. Noone says Pele, Boye, GMac, João should start but when we are missing our star midfield pairing we can still do a grand job. Same with Baldock off but we have Meite who was great.

Obita off? No problem in comes excellent Richards.

Yiadom off? No probs we have Gunter who has a solid game.

This is a great squad and we have a manager who can utilise them all effectively.

My only concern is if we are relying on 3 CBs do we have enough CB cover to make sure we don't end up with the Miazga-less catastrophes again.

Overall though brilliant and I'm just so so very happy for Farage's mate the Romanian immigrant.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Dec 2019 18:15

Bristol Paul
Snowflake Royal Cabral - 6 very little to do, but spilled a tricky save into danger for their goal.

Did you actually go, or is this back from the IPad highlights?

Try reading it and having a guess. The clues are there.

Don't own an iPad btw.