145 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by Millsy » 10 Dec 2019 17:58

URZZZZ
2 world wars, 1 world cup
URZZZZ
Am I the only one missing something with Richards? How did he cost us a point? At the time he made his mistake for the goal, we were losing 2-1, his error just made it game over but he didn’t cost us a point

For the record, why should we have “comfortably won” against them? A side unbeaten in three, haven’t lost by more than one goal more than once since the end of August, don’t concede many, went toe to toe with Leeds at Elland Road? It was an awful display and a disappointing result, but I certainly wasn’t expecting an comfortable game

Interested to see why everyone is hyping up Joao, goal aside, he was his poor usual self of dancing around holding onto the ball for too long, missing one of the best chances for an equaliser

You're right. Not just a point. Possibly three ;) i.e. his total ****up like that basically made it game over as you say. A chance of drawing/ possibly winning as we are known to do from 1 goal deficits nowdays totally crushed by that ridiculous mistake.

As for comfortably beating yeah I do believe we should've won. I believe we were better till the freak own goal and could and should have gone on to win. Just my opinion though.

Likewise João in my opinion was good. Definitely a million times better than Boye up front. Again just my thoughts and I respect anyone who differs obviously.

Back to Richards the point is we all know unfortunately he still has defensive errors in him and going 4-4-2 and pushing up ridiculously ineffectively even at 1-1 for no obvious reason was a poor call.

I never know what to make of Richards to be honest. Obita is average, Blackett is OK but has concentration issues at random times but Richards is one of the most inconsistent players we've had in a while. He can play as well as he did against Luton and then a few games later put in a horror show like he did against Birmingham

I want to like him and rate him but he makes it so hard with his increasingly frustrating fluctuation performances

Agreed.

The thing is you probably want reliability and consistency over flair and sporadic brilliance in defensive positions but the opposite in attacking positions I..e you can easily forgive the odd lapse, bad game, missed sitter if they just turn up regular flashes of brilliance (eg Puscas).

The issue with Richards is he is asked to do both and his strengths are his attacking side and when it comes to defense he falters occasionally in crucial moments. What's worse is teams have done their homework and know this full well.

Still I think he'll cone good with enough training and perhaps not needlessly risking 442 where his defensive frailties are exposed when we don't need to. I hope he and Bowen have learned from this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 10 Dec 2019 18:08

So he can’t play in a 4-4-2?

Be pretty concerned if that was the case

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 11 Dec 2019 00:14

Hound So he can’t play in a 4-4-2?

Past few years our full backs have been given poor cover. This year is little better.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Dec 2019 00:28

Lower West
Hound So he can’t play in a 4-4-2?

Past few years our full backs have been given poor cover. This year is little better.

The difference being though is that with a 5 at the back, there’s generally no line ahead of the wingbacks whereas with a 4-4-2 the full backs have someone directly in front of them

I’ve no reason to believe that if we went to 4 at the back, McCleary, Meite and Boye could offer defensive help. Certainly more than the likes of Aluko and Barrow in recent seasons anyway

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 11 Dec 2019 11:24

Thought about going to this, but I had a late finish to my canvassing and an early dinner to make at 6 so thought better of it and went to the pub.

145 posts