Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Pele
Rinomhota
Swift
Baldock
Joao

In the 5-3-2 is my pick of our best XI. Though a 4-3-3 with Miazga and Moore, and Baldock left, Meite right would be decent too.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Birmingham

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Dec 2019 19:30

Zip
JR Just watched the highlights. I didn’t realise at the time, but it was shocking goalkeeping by Rafael for the 2nd.

Looked like a cracking free kick, but should have been comfortably saved. Rafael was that side of the goal and dived with his wrong hand.

Yep. At the time I thought it was a good free-kick but still has a question mark about Rafael. Watching it after I felt he should have saved it.

Don't keepers always get blamed for what are perceived to be their errors?
If there is blame to be attached how about

McCleary being unprofessional by allowing himself to get narked about not winning a free-kick and stupidly bringing their player down in a dangerous position.
Joao greedily trying to beat 3 men in a dribble, losing the ball in that crowded area allowing them to break and score.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 08 Dec 2019 19:38

Snowflake Royal Cabral
Yiadom
Obita
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Pele
Rinomhota
Swift
Baldock
Joao

In the 5-3-2 is my pick of our best XI. Though a 4-3-3 with Miazga and Moore, and Baldock left, Meite right would be decent too.

No Ejaria?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2019 21:30

Zip
Snowflake Royal Cabral
Yiadom
Obita
Miazga
Morrison
Moore
Pele
Rinomhota
Swift
Baldock
Joao

No Ejaria?

I think him and Swift are a bit too on the attacking side and Swift is delivering more. Plus he'd be an excellent option off the bench to hurt teams if we need it. Plus Joao is similarly twinkle toes up front.

Really tough call though.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Dec 2019 22:59

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Oh This looks fun.

Preferred formation - 5-3-2 - Which says a lot as I have been vehemently opposed to that for quite a while on here. It is the best use of the players we have. By some distance.

Starting strikers - Controversial one incoming but I think Joao and Puscas. Baldock works his arse off and was in good form before his injury but Joao offers more and in different areas. Meite will miss out which is not a good thing but Puscas is simply a slightly better player.

Ball Players - Agreed. That formation is the only way to fit them in and keep 2 up top. We should be doing everything possible to maximise their time on the pitch.

Defenders - Based on last game? Morrison... Based on the season so far? Moore...

Boye - Is shite, a massive liability and offers no more than Barrett, Loader, Olise, Adam, Baldock, oxf*rd it, anyone in the team who can play up front, on the wing or as a 10 offers more than him. Drop him and ship him.

As I said, an easy scapegoat :roll:

Dont be reductionist. Look at all my posts that mention Boye since he came. I've said this since the start. It's not because we lost I think hes shit and I dont think we lost because of him. I'm far from scapegoating him.

Richards was probably mostly to blame for the defeat. Maybe Bowen. They can be my escapegoats this time.

Richards was only at fault for goal three to be fair

I just think people are writing off Boye too quickly not having a decent consistent run in the side. Not many people (including me) thought Pele was much cop at the start but he's been quite good recently. Players can change but the only way we can see is through game time and he's not getting enough

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Dec 2019 23:30

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

Dont be reductionist. Look at all my posts that mention Boye since he came. I've said this since the start. It's not because we lost I think hes shit and I dont think we lost because of him. I'm far from scapegoating him.

Richards was probably mostly to blame for the defeat. Maybe Bowen. They can be my escapegoats this time.

I just think people are writing off Boye too quickly not having a decent consistent run in the side. Not many people (including me) thought Pele was much cop at the start but he's been quite good recently. Players can change but the only way we can see is through game time and he's not getting enough

Boye played like he was in an exhibition match. Flicks and nonsense. And lost the ball over and over again.

Richards was poor but to be fair so was the central defence.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Dec 2019 00:54

What an AWFUL performance by so many.

Boye. Just **** off. I've seen enough now and have sussed him out. Fine to play him when you've nothing to lose and could do with a creative spark 1 in 10 times with losing the ball and zero shite end product the rest of the time. But to bring him on early when we still have a chance when you have João on the bench. No thanks.

Richards. Losing the plot more every game. Some good moments but still the liability I always thought he was defensively. Error cost us a point effectively.

Bowen - totally screwed up here. Should have won comfortably against a team who made enforced changes. Miazga off. Wtf!??? We always look shite without him. 442 so early when we don't have the wingers or defenders for it and with no bottle in midfield? No wonder we were TOTALLY raped in midfield and Morrison lost the plot in defence. Boye a possible winger (whatever the frik he is) sent up front. GMac on the wrong side. God knows who or why playing on the right. A total mess. His only saving grace was bringing on Adam who was shockingly just excellent.

Which leads me onto positives.

Adam. Brilliant. Controlled the game. Nuff said.

João. Did good.

Overall this won't be popular but I place this defeat at the door of Bowen who just lost the plot.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 01:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup What an AWFUL performance by so many.

Boye. Just **** off. I've seen enough now and have sussed him out. Fine to play him when you've nothing to lose and could do with a creative spark 1 in 10 times with losing the ball and zero shite end product the rest of the time. But to bring him on early when we still have a chance when you have João on the bench. No thanks.

Richards. Losing the plot more every game. Some good moments but still the liability I always thought he was defensively. Error cost us a point effectively.

Bowen - totally screwed up here. Should have won comfortably against a team who made enforced changes. Miazga off. Wtf!??? We always look shite without him. 442 so early when we don't have the wingers or defenders for it and with no bottle in midfield? No wonder we were TOTALLY raped in midfield and Morrison lost the plot in defence. Boye a possible winger (whatever the frik he is) sent up front. GMac on the wrong side. God knows who or why playing on the right. A total mess. His only saving grace was bringing on Adam who was shockingly just excellent.

Which leads me onto positives.

Adam. Brilliant. Controlled the game. Nuff said.

João. Did good.

Overall this won't be popular but I place this defeat at the door of Bowen who just lost the plot.

Am I the only one missing something with Richards? How did he cost us a point? At the time he made his mistake for the goal, we were losing 2-1, his error just made it game over but he didn’t cost us a point

For the record, why should we have “comfortably won” against them? A side unbeaten in three, haven’t lost by more than one goal more than once since the end of August, don’t concede many, went toe to toe with Leeds at Elland Road? It was an awful display and a disappointing result, but I certainly wasn’t expecting an comfortable game

Interested to see why everyone is hyping up Joao, goal aside, he was his poor usual self of dancing around holding onto the ball for too long, missing one of the best chances for an equaliser

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 09:05

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ

I wouldn't day Richards cost us a point like others. That doesnt make sense in the run of the game. He was just error prone and categorically at fault for goal 3. He just needed to get rid or lay off but he tried to be clever and lost the ball while we were under pressure.

Boye might be decent if given a run but the point is he hasn't done enough to justify a run. His cameos are 90% him losing the ball.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2019 09:22

quick scan on who scored provides something I thought fairly interesting - Puscas, Meite (10 times :( ) and Boye managed to lose possession a pretty staggering 22 times between them. Obvs could be a result of the service not being great, but I think its more about an inability to hold up the ball

One poster asked about Joao and why people said he did ok - was going to post that the ball actually stuck to him - and the stats back it up - he lost the ball once.

Its a bit of a theme actually - going back to Wigan, Puscas especially lost the ball a lot (9).

Clearly its a pretty big issue. And another reason I'd be looking to going back to Baldock sooner rather than later

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 09 Dec 2019 09:29

who knew that a midfield without swift and ejaria would be devoid of creativity, the 442 formation doesnt really suit us any more, and the puskas/meite strike partnership isnt very good...

all of us.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 09:44

Hound quick scan on who scored provides something I thought fairly interesting - Puscas, Meite (10 times :( ) and Boye managed to lose possession a pretty staggering 22 times between them. Obvs could be a result of the service not being great, but I think its more about an inability to hold up the ball

One poster asked about Joao and why people said he did ok - was going to post that the ball actually stuck to him - and the stats back it up - he lost the ball once.

Its a bit of a theme actually - going back to Wigan, Puscas especially lost the ball a lot (9).

Clearly its a pretty big issue. And another reason I'd be looking to going back to Baldock sooner rather than later

Worth noting that the time Joao lost it he was surrounded by 2-3 opposition players, had no easy backpass and chased back to recover it (he didnt, but at least he tried)

Joao is, however, one of the highest in terms of balls lost per 90 in the team currently I'm pretty sure. But he loses it in a different way. He can play with his back to goal, the others can't.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 10:20

NewCorkSeth
Hound quick scan on who scored provides something I thought fairly interesting - Puscas, Meite (10 times :( ) and Boye managed to lose possession a pretty staggering 22 times between them. Obvs could be a result of the service not being great, but I think its more about an inability to hold up the ball

Worth noting that the time Joao lost it he was surrounded by 2-3 opposition players, had no easy backpass and chased back to recover it (he didnt, but at least he tried)

Joao is, however, one of the highest in terms of balls lost per 90 in the team currently I'm pretty sure. But he loses it in a different way. He can play with his back to goal, the others can't.

He loses it because he tries to be too fancy, he beats two in a mazy run and suddenly thinks he can morph into Ronaldo and inevitably slows the attack down/loses it. I still haven’t forgotten just how poor he was in that Blackburn home game and that’s always in my mind

He has had a couple of good games this season but he’s very much a 1 in 4 player, like the Sheffield fans warned us of, and he’s done nothing to break that mould here so far, which is why I’m sceptical of him

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2019 10:32

Boye also gave away 5 fouls in 45 mins.

He really did stink the place out didn't he?

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 09 Dec 2019 10:45

The most frustrating game in ages - Bowen showing all of his inexperience as a manager and making all the mistakes he could possibly make in one game, including throwing the players under a bus afterwards. Short of replacing Rafael with Virginia, I can't think of worse substitutions / tactics. The only right thing he did was bringing on Charlie Adam

I'm hoping this means he gets all of that out of his system, and learns from it rather than it becoming a recurring theme.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Dec 2019 10:47

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth

He loses it because he tries to be too fancy, he beats two in a mazy run and suddenly thinks he can morph into Ronaldo and inevitably slows the attack down/loses it. I still haven’t forgotten just how poor he was in that Blackburn home game and that’s always in my mind

He has had a couple of good games this season but he’s very much a 1 in 4 player, like the Sheffield fans warned us of, and he’s done nothing to break that mould here so far, which is why I’m sceptical of him

I mean, that's true, he does do that. But so does Boye who you are defending against the same charges. There has been just over 100 minutes difference in time played between them yet Joao you criticise despite scoring 2 and assisting 3 but Boye, with no goals and no assists, just needs more time..

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 09 Dec 2019 10:59

muirinho The most frustrating game in ages - Bowen showing all of his inexperience as a manager and making all the mistakes he could possibly make in one game, including throwing the players under a bus afterwards. Short of replacing Rafael with Virginia, I can't think of worse substitutions / tactics. The only right thing he did was bringing on Charlie Adam

I'm hoping this means he gets all of that out of his system, and learns from it rather than it becoming a recurring theme.

Didnt think the subs worked out too badly, other than Boye who had a shocker. Probably should have brought off Morrison rather than Miazga if he wanted 4 at the back, but he may have had a knock etc

Joao for McCleary improved us up front, and Adam made a big difference.

I have no issue with the comments after the game. Obvs you don't want it to become a recurring theme, but the players didn't play well. Lots of silly fouls, and continuously giving the ball away. Can play anything from 4-4-2 to 2-3-5 and if you do that you will likely lose the game.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Dec 2019 11:01

I haven't watched the post-match interview, but does he mention how he wants us to be a "nasty side to play against"?

Because I genuinely think he's said that in every interview he's had so far.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 11:04

NewCorkSeth
URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth Worth noting that the time Joao lost it he was surrounded by 2-3 opposition players, had no easy backpass and chased back to recover it (he didnt, but at least he tried)

I mean, that's true, he does do that. But so does Boye who you are defending against the same charges. There has been just over 100 minutes difference in time played between them yet Joao you criticise despite scoring 2 and assisting 3 but Boye, with no goals and no assists, just needs more time..

What I mean is Boye needs a consistent run, be it 3 or so starts in a row. He seems to start one, be dropped for two, start one, be dropped for one, start one, be dropped for two etc etc...whereas when Joao got his run, it was pretty much 5/6 starts in a row

Infact when Boye got his best run in the team, he'd only just joined, was still adapting to English football and all that. Whereas Joao has had 4 years of experience in the league so naturally you'd expect him to settle in quicker

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 09 Dec 2019 11:04

Hound Boye also gave away 5 fouls in 45 mins.

He really did stink the place out didn't he?

As a team, we gave away 21 fouls. As I've said before, just a braindead team

145 posts