BFTG - Derby

187 posts
Zip
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Derby

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 20:28

Hound
Zip
Barb We've played exactly half the season. Does anyone know how many points we had at this stage last season?

Not sure but after we got hammered by Swansea on New Years Day we had played 26 games and picked up just 20 points.

Ah, happy days :)

It was the day my car keys slipped out of my pocket and were under my seat in the ED Stand. Got back to my car at Mereoak and thought WTF followed by a humbling and tense call to a hungover Mrs Zip asking her to drive 70 miles to Reading with my spare seat of keys. :lol:

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Dec 2019 20:31

Zip
Hound
Zip
Not sure but after we got hammered by Swansea on New Years Day we had played 26 games and picked up just 20 points.

It was the day my car keys slipped out of my pocket and were under my seat in the ED Stand. Got back to my car at Mereoak and thought WTF followed by a humbling and tense call to a hungover Mrs Zip asking her to drive 70 miles to Reading with my spare seat of keys. :lol:

I hope you paid the petrol money for the round trip

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 20:33

URZZZZ
Zip
Hound

I hope you paid the petrol money for the round trip

Of course :?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 20:41

Still at least you had the warm glow of the footy match before to see you through

In retrospect that was one hell of an effort to stay up and not to sink without a trace from that point

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Dec 2019 20:48

Hound Still at least you had the warm glow of the footy match before to see you through

In retrospect that was one hell of an effort to stay up and not to sink without a trace from that point

It was. We were five points away from safety after that game. Gomes should be positively remembered for that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Dec 2019 20:53

Zip
Hound Still at least you had the warm glow of the footy match before to see you through

It was. We were five points away from safety after that game. Gomes should be positively remembered for that.

Yes indeed. We had won 4 of our first 26 games - utterly miserable

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Dec 2019 22:34

Ranty McRantface I agree with first poster on here.

We were lucky to be honest and 3 nil flattered us. I'll go through each half and then do player ratings.

1st Half
When I saw the line up for us I was shocked at how little defensive cover and mobility we had in the middle. We started brightly and João setup Meite for the pen. Meite fluffed his touch, keeper closed him down and the Derby defender stupidily dived in. The Derby defender would have been better off trusting his keeper. The red card was very harsh. I'm sure you all know that it is not compulsory to send off a player if he is the last man and he commits a foul.

I believe it is compulsory when the foul is a push or shirt pull or, if an attempted tackle, when the defender has no realistic prospect of winning the ball.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Dec 2019 22:51

RoyalBlue

We were lucky to be honest and 3 nil flattered us. I'll go through each half and then do player ratings.

1st Half
When I saw the line up for us I was shocked at how little defensive cover and mobility we had in the middle. We started brightly and João setup Meite for the pen. Meite fluffed his touch, keeper closed him down and the Derby defender stupidily dived in. The Derby defender would have been better off trusting his keeper. The red card was very harsh. I'm sure you all know that it is not compulsory to send off a player if he is the last man and he commits a foul.

I believe it is compulsory when the foul is a push or shirt pull or, if an attempted tackle, when the defender has no realistic prospect of winning the ball.

Inside the penalty area:
- No attempt to play the ball
- Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity

Outside the penalty area:
- Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

As always, being the "last man" is only part of what makes something a clear goalscoring opportunity and is neither necessary nor sufficient.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Dec 2019 23:43

Clearly with the 1st pen he had no chance of winning the ball, so red card was right. Should have just left Meite to it; he was clearly not going to score.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 23 Dec 2019 01:06

Zip
NewCorkSeth
Zip
Fair enough although the ref should have booked him. I was right behind that goal and my immediate reaction was that it was a pen probably as I am glass half empty :D

The ref should have booked who? The diver? He did. It was a very well simulated dive. Amazing the ref didnt buy it.

Fair enough if he booked in. I can’t recall that he did.

Yeh he definitely did. At the time I thought the same as you and couldn't understand why. Think I may have missed it when chatting to the guy next to me about how come there's no card?!

But I defo saw the card come out when watching the highlights.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2019 06:40

WestYorksRoyal Clearly with the 1st pen he had no chance of winning the ball, so red card was right. Should have just left Meite to it; he was clearly not going to score.

Yep was brainless from malone. Only himself to blame

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 23 Dec 2019 07:31

For years Reading have attacked the South end 1st half( must be as high as 95% of the matches). Does anyone know if we won the toss on Saturday and changed that policy and played towards 1871 stand 2nd half ?

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Dec 2019 09:02

RoyalBlue

1st Half

for me, the sending off was more for the sheer stupidity and blatantness of the push

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Dec 2019 09:29

Royals and Racers For years Reading have attacked the South end 1st half( must be as high as 95% of the matches). Does anyone know if we won the toss on Saturday and changed that policy and played towards 1871 stand 2nd half ?

Derby won the toss.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Dec 2019 10:00

Singing Defective Was impressed with their fans..well apart from the bunch who got booted out early second half from Y23..

Was that first half in fact longer than the runway in Fast and Furious 6?

Really? Thought they were distinctly average.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Dec 2019 10:02

Entertaining game.

Poor first half, excellent second half.

Raphael had an excellent game as did the back four with some key blocks. We really need to get those shots on goal away quicker. Boye towards the end was a prime example of this.

I left the ground happy.

Happy Christmas.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Dec 2019 10:08

AthleticoSpizz Hark at Father Christmas there

3 fukkin nil, not the prettiest, but 3 fukkin nil

two or three key players out injured

Yes they “ploughed through our midfield” but still got nil

Generally dispair at our fan base at times

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Dec 2019 10:09

NewCorkSeth Can confirm to you all now that the Derby penalty shout was dealt with superbly by the ref. It is unmistakably a dive. Adam nowhere near touching him.

Its the one that Blackett did which has got them most animated.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 23 Dec 2019 10:16

and one final one from me...

Bowen - 18 points from 33 - 11 games - thats decent right? Would you of taken that at the start of his reign? That sort of scoring point ratio achieved under Gomes?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Dec 2019 10:20

paultheroyal
NewCorkSeth Can confirm to you all now that the Derby penalty shout was dealt with superbly by the ref. It is unmistakably a dive. Adam nowhere near touching him.

Its the one that Blackett did which has got them most animated.

Oh.. really? Dunno about that one myself. Cant figure it out.

187 posts