BFTG - Derby

187 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG - Derby

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Dec 2019 11:26

paultheroyal and one final one from me...

Bowen - 18 points from 33 - 11 games - thats decent right? Would you of taken that at the start of his reign? That sort of scoring point ratio achieved under Gomes?

Let's be honest, the only real blemish on his CV is that poor result against Birmingham (maybe Barnsley and Stoke were disappointing too). But he's still learning and this bunch of players have proven inconsistent long before his arrival.

A win against QPR and pick up the odd home win from a tough Jan/Feb run of fixtures and he's doing great. Pressure is never far away mind; a poor loss to QPR followed by minimal points in a difficult run of fixtures and we're right back in it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 23 Dec 2019 11:39

I'm happy with what he is doing. especially the nastiness and shithousery.

injuries have hampered his efforts to push on from a decent start, but hopefully that is all starting to pass now.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Dec 2019 12:22

Yeah not got everything right of course, but done a very solid job so far

Brum was the only real disappointment so far

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Dec 2019 12:55

paultheroyal and one final one from me...

Bowen - 18 points from 33 - 11 games - thats decent right? Would you of taken that at the start of his reign? That sort of scoring point ratio achieved under Gomes?

Yes
Hell yes
Maybe briefly when Bowen arrived to help as a consultant.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 23 Dec 2019 14:51

Lucky in so far as the first 5 minutes gave us a platform that we had to all but intentionally throw to lose. We contrived to look like drawing/losing with the next 40 minutes. Key things for me, with 3 upfront, 2 of those needed to work far more defensively which they didn’t. With this and the centre pairing not working defensively meant we looked like conceding.

Meite was poor first half but a different player in the second half. Pele was much more effective when he came on, but then again Derby will have been exhausted at that point.

I’d give the defensive unit 7/10, Meite 4 in the first and 7 in the second. Ejaria is better with Swift on the pitch. Joao, albeit with a goal and winning the pen, doesn’t cut it for the other 88 minutes of the game.

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 23 Dec 2019 17:40

Tails Lucky in so far as the first 5 minutes gave us a platform that we had to all but intentionally throw to lose. We contrived to look like drawing/losing with the next 40 minutes.

...but then Wigan on a red held Leeds quite nicely for 76 Minutes in April, putting a nail in the coffin of the latter’s promotion. And that was the Peecocks, according to some on here the greatest club since the game begun. ‘tis a funny old game.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2019 17:49

Meite seems to have slimmed down a bit and had more pace on Saturday.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Dec 2019 17:57

Tails Joao, albeit with a goal and winning the pen, doesn’t cut it for the other 88 minutes of the game.

I'm happy for him to do nothing for 88 minutes every week on that basis. Work rate obviously goes down well with fans, but give me a bit more quality every time.

P.s. you missed his pass for the 1st penalty.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Dec 2019 18:11

WestYorksRoyal
Tails Joao, albeit with a goal and winning the pen, doesn’t cut it for the other 88 minutes of the game.

I'm happy for him to do nothing for 88 minutes every week on that basis. Work rate obviously goes down well with fans, but give me a bit more quality every time.

Yep and it was a superb pass. He was involved in all three goals. Surprised at some of the comments. I thought he played pretty well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Dec 2019 19:15

Zip
WestYorksRoyal

Yep and it was a superb pass. He was involved in all three goals. Surprised at some of the comments. I thought he played pretty well.

Our new Mr. Marmite.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Dec 2019 19:16

NewCorkSeth
Zip
WestYorksRoyal I'm happy for him to do nothing for 88 minutes every week on that basis. Work rate obviously goes down well with fans, but give me a bit more quality every time.

Our new Mr. Marmite.

Racist

NotARacist

by NotARacist » 23 Dec 2019 20:29

URZZZZ
NewCorkSeth
Zip

Our new Mr. Marmite.

Racist

I agree. Awful racism.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Dec 2019 23:49

:shock:

Anyone agree with Mr Kempson’s opinion?

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/spor ... t-17464853

Personally I didn’t see it as that myself, although there were a couple of moments of “unnecessaryness”, but then Reading are so rarely ever in a commanding position late in game I’m not entirely surprised if they forget there “manners”

Think we can guarantee Derby will be up for thereturn then.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Dec 2019 00:13

Sutekh :shock:

Personally I didn’t see it as that myself, although there were a couple of moments of “unnecessaryness”, but then Reading are so rarely ever in a commanding position late in game I’m not entirely surprised if they forget there “manners”

+1 for use of the word “unnecessaryness”

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Dec 2019 06:34

Sutekh :shock:

He is a clown who has to look for a negative with everything.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 24 Dec 2019 07:52

What username does he post under here?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 24 Dec 2019 07:56

NewCorkSeth
Zip
WestYorksRoyal I'm happy for him to do nothing for 88 minutes every week on that basis. Work rate obviously goes down well with fans, but give me a bit more quality every time.

Our new Mr. Marmite.

That’s all well and good when the opposition have been reduced to 10 men and we get away with it. But you have to defend as a team, and when 3/4 players don't appear to put any effort in -defensively, we will always look defensively suspect. This has been shown in almost every game this season. And has been referenced previously by Bowen about doing the basics and ugly work (what you do when you don’t have the ball).

If you’re happy with that kind of performance then fair enough, but you’ll have to accept that this is the position that we will stay.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 24 Dec 2019 08:06

NewCorkSeth Adam - total passes = 70, pass accuracy = 76%, key passes = 0

Ejaria - total passes = 40, pass accuracy = 98%, key passes = 3

Great stat, which completely backs up my reading of the game which was very much that Ejaria had the usual 3 men closing him down instantly (all teams have done their homework on this lad) and yet he as usual almost always wriggled out of it and passed it to someone, creating a chance and I don't remember a pass going astray. I agree with whoever it is who said he should shoot more - we all know what he can do from outside the box. But with Adam he was shocking for many many passes especially after the penalty and the point is we cannot afford our playmaker to be cocking up so much because he's our fulcrum.

Yes if you're tasked with forward passes you're going to miss more, but the trouble with Adam's performance after the penalty is that as usual everything goes through him and if he's not doing well it is a) pointless and b) puts us under massive pressure, because he sure isn't there to win tackles or protect the defence. We wonder why we were carved open so easily by 10 men but to me it was clear because we dick around with the ball until Adam feels he can launch a good ball. If he's firing on all cylinders fine, but if he's not, the logical conclusion to that tactic is the opposition have the ball and they're coming at us fast. And a 4-4-2 with a slow Adam in there is basically gifting the opposition with a hot knife through butter.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Dec 2019 08:38

Good point on Ejaria have three players marking him. It meant Adam was completely free as was Blackett.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 24 Dec 2019 08:45

Again, while I understand snowflakes concern about Ejaria and Swift in the same midfield, having a player who demands closing down in the manner of Ejaria does wonders for space creation. If he can continue to pull 2 or 3 players out of position to close him down then our other players should be able to work into gaps. If Ejaria and Swift can continue to work on the same wavelength then we could have our recipe for the final third.

187 posts