MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h) sponsored by cup fever

185 posts
Crowbar6753

Re: MATCHWATCH : Blackpool (h) sponsored by cup fever

by Crowbar6753 » 02 Jan 2020 16:45

Old Man Andrews
genome Still, I would give him the chance to see if his time away has sorted him out.

If he still looks bad, get rid.

Why do our young talented players have to take a backseat to him??? He has had his day. Bye Bye.

Totally agree OMA, i agree with second chances, and yes sometimes it works, however, he is on some pretty hefty wages and he would also be blocking the path for some of our talented youngsters. Time to offload and give Olise and that young lad in Spain a chance to prove their worth for much less wages (Our Youth players are our future).

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 02 Jan 2020 16:46

Tricky selection for Bowen.
We need to concentrate on the league,but a cup run would be nice.
Jao and Moore will be out,plus I would rest Swift and Ovie.

Rafael
Gunter Morrison Miazga Obita
Pele Rino
Barret Olise
Baldock. Meite

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jan 2020 16:49

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Hound
he only played a couple under Gomes didnt he? I can't remember anything much that he did, bar a goal at Derby and a reasonable cameo against Man U.

1 goal and 1 assist in 19 appearance in the season overall though. He was utter bollocks and I'd be delighted never to see him again

These are the games he featured under Gomes last year:

QPR - was good that day
Swansea - not great, but one of the brighter sparks
United - good impact off the bench
Derby - good impact off the bench
Bolton - did quite well
Villa - small cameo appearance
Wednesday - again, was one of our brighter players
Blackburn - was poor and subbed off at half time

He also started the season quite well, with a couple of good performances against Derby and Blackburn. Just a shame he had a few stinkers in September and October but coincidentally, these were all games he was shunted out to the right wing with Gunter behind him!

I’m not sure the stats for Barrow but IIRC up until the time Aluko went, he himself had 1 goal and about 2/3 assists. Yet people were clamouring him for to start every week. Different standards for different players etc etc...

:roll:

Can you disprove any of that (supposing you do go to games which wouldn’t be a surprise if you didn’t)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2020 17:13

Old Man Andrews
genome ugh

Haven't you been told to stay out of discussions me and Urzzz have if you don't like them? We are debating Aluko so it's completely on topic.

I haven’t “been told” anything :lol:

Debate all you like, just do it with a bit more respect for each other. The manner of your discussion is just unpleasant

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 17:21

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Hound
tbh I've no idea what his preferred position is either. Floating around somewhere up front with doing the least amount of work/responsibility I'm guessing

Pretty much, he does float around in random areas

But I don’t necessarily buy the lazy argument. He was a keen presser of the ball when he was at Fulham, and his pressing gave us nightmares when they thumped us 5-0 in 2016. He was just awful at tracking his man because he played inside too often

Literally nobody agrees with you. Take a year off or something, you have not got a clue.

Have a day off from being tiresome and trying to generate petty beef

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 17:25

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

But I don’t necessarily buy the lazy argument. He was a keen presser of the ball when he was at Fulham, and his pressing gave us nightmares when they thumped us 5-0 in 2016. He was just awful at tracking his man because he played inside too often

Literally nobody agrees with you. Take a year off or something, you have not got a clue.

Stop deviating from the discussion Ian. Take a lifetime off.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2020 17:28

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ
My question is what did he do wrong in his second chance? Everyone can agree he performed poorly under Stam and Clement to a lesser extent. But under Gomes, he performed reasonably well nearly every time. Or is everyone forgetting that bit deliberately so that the “facts” fit in with their opinions better?

He only went because of FFP issues

he only played a couple under Gomes didnt he? I can't remember anything much that he did, bar a goal at Derby and a reasonable cameo against Man U.

1 goal and 1 assist in 19 appearance in the season overall though. He was utter bollocks and I'd be delighted never to see him again

QPR - was good that day
Bolton - did quite well

He also started the season quite well, with a couple of good performances against Derby and Blackburn. Just a shame he had a few stinkers in September and October but coincidentally, these were all games he was shunted out to the right wing with Gunter behind him!

I’m not sure the stats for Barrow but IIRC up until the time Aluko went, he himself had 1 goal and about 2/3 assists. Yet people were clamouring him for to start every week. Different standards for different players etc etc...

I think Barrow was getting plenty of stick as well, but he had the fact he’d saved us the season before in his back pocket

I didn’t watch all of those games you’ve listed but I seem to remember him being distinctly Aluko-like in the home games under Gomes - ie borderline invisible. Don’t remember him playing particularly well against Derby or Blackburn either - passable at best.

Anyway not going to drag it out any more than that. If Bowen can get him to offer us something then fantastic, but just can’t see it happening

Edit- just checked tilehurst end, and they gave him 3/10 for his Swansea performance - equal worst. So if that’s the barometer....
Last edited by Hound on 02 Jan 2020 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2020 17:32

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ
My question is what did he do wrong in his second chance? Everyone can agree he performed poorly under Stam and Clement to a lesser extent. But under Gomes, he performed reasonably well nearly every time. Or is everyone forgetting that bit deliberately so that the “facts” fit in with their opinions better?

He only went because of FFP issues

QPR - was good that day
Bolton - did quite well

Here's the question though URZ. What has Aluko done to get in the team ahead of the far less costly Olise, Barrett, McCleary, Loader and Boye if we're playing a changed XI.

This is an opportunity to keep McCleary happy after his hard work. Or to test the younger players and reward them. Or to check out Boye.

Why on Earth re-incorporate an expensive failure who was shipped out when we had a squad with attitude and application problem, when there are actual players waiting who have participated in our recovery?

Bugger that.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 17:35

Even Ian agrees with me Urzzz. Give it up now, Aluko shouldn't be playing. The squad is in a great place right now and we don't need the likes of Aluko in and around the 1st team.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jan 2020 18:06

Old Man Andrews Even Ian agrees with me Urzzz. Give it up now, Aluko shouldn't be playing. The squad is in a great place right now and we don't need the likes of Aluko in and around the 1st team.

If Bowen picks him and he does well, surely that is a good thing? No-one is going to want to buy him at the moment....lets at least see what Bowen can do with him. Gunter and GMac have fitted back in perfectly well. It is perfectly reasonable to think that Aluko could do the same. Dragging up his past here helps no-one. I’d rather our most expensive player/hefty earner was doing more than rot in the U23s. You never know, some decent performances and we might get some money for him at the end of Jan/in June. Surely a better option than our owners loaning him to their other club to get around FFP.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 02 Jan 2020 18:07

Snowflake Royal
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

He is completely ruining the board. Hopefully he will be banned soon, as when I did the same on my other 4 accounts I got banned aswell.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 18:11

Kitsondinho
Old Man Andrews Even Ian agrees with me Urzzz. Give it up now, Aluko shouldn't be playing. The squad is in a great place right now and we don't need the likes of Aluko in and around the 1st team.

If Bowen picks him and he does well, surely that is a good thing? No-one is going to want to buy him at the moment....lets at least see what Bowen can do with him. Gunter and GMac have fitted back in perfectly well. It is perfectly reasonable to think that Aluko could do the same. Dragging up his past here helps no-one. I’d rather our most expensive player/hefty earner was doing more than rot in the U23s. You never know, some decent performances and we might get some money for him at the end of Jan/in June. Surely a better option than our owners loaning him to their other club to get around FFP.

Aluko has never ever done anything to warrant another chance. McCleary and Gunter have been good servants for the club over a number of years and will always try.

What has Aluko ever done for us?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jan 2020 18:13

Old Man Andrews
Kitsondinho

Aluko has never ever done anything to warrant another chance. McCleary and Gunter have been good servants for the club over a number of years and will always try.

That goal against QPR was pretty important......

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jan 2020 18:14

Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ
Hound

QPR - was good that day
Bolton - did quite well

Here's the question though URZ. What has Aluko done to get in the team ahead of the far less costly Olise, Barrett, McCleary, Loader and Boye if we're playing a changed XI.

This is an opportunity to keep McCleary happy after his hard work. Or to test the younger players and reward them. Or to check out Boye.

Why on Earth re-incorporate an expensive failure who was shipped out when we had a squad with attitude and application problem, when there are actual players waiting who have participated in our recovery?

Bugger that.

Agree with Kitsondinho. But in response to your question:

Barrett - been here over 4 seasons now. Contributed very little. Rumours are he’s going in Jan anyway to a L1/2 team. Not sure it’s worth playing him if he’s on his way out

Olise - I agree and have said that I wouldn’t mind Aluko playing but not if it’s going to impede Olise. I really rate this kid and think he’ll go far and I certainly don’t want Aluko playing over him

McCleary - id concentrate on playing Garath RM, he was pretty poor in his appearances as a CM. I’ve already said I don’t want to see Aluko out wide, and instead as one of the CM’s so don’t see much competition

Loader - only Bowen and himself probably knows his future. The signs indicate he’s gone and he’s out. I’d rather play Aluko who has a small chance of being here after Jan than Loader who most likely has no chance. Now, if Loader is definitely staying, I’d have him over Aluko but I don’t know that

Boye - id also have him over Aluko but again, I’d see Boye as more of a LW so not necessarily competition for Aluko

The reason, as a couple of others have mentioned, that I’d give him a go on Saturday (but from the bench) is just to see if he’s made any progress. There’s something to be gained if he’s a valuable asset and can be utilised for the rest of the season and little to be lost (as long as he’s not blocking young players paths who have a future with us)

We don’t have that many young players ready for the step up if we do make 11 changes on Saturday so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a little go

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jan 2020 18:18

Old Man Andrews

Straight Roads

Central Heating

Oh, sorry, wrong thread

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 02 Jan 2020 18:18

Hound
URZZZZ
Hound

QPR - was good that day
Bolton - did quite well

I think Barrow was getting plenty of stick as well, but he had the fact he’d saved us the season before in his back pocket

I didn’t watch all of those games you’ve listed but I seem to remember him being distinctly Aluko-like in the home games under Gomes - ie borderline invisible. Don’t remember him playing particularly well against Derby or Blackburn either - passable at best.

Anyway not going to drag it out any more than that. If Bowen can get him to offer us something then fantastic, but just can’t see it happening

Edit- just checked tilehurst end, and they gave him 3/10 for his Swansea performance - equal worst. So if that’s the barometer....

I wouldn’t necessarily use that as evidence because a lot of people are/were biased against Aluko because of his transfer fee so he was always rated by that barometer and not his actual performances

And he was good on that opening day against Derby, many people, including yourself said at the time he had had a good game

Barb

by Barb » 02 Jan 2020 18:19

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal
URZZZZ

QPR - was good that day
Bolton - did quite well

Bugger that.

Agree with Kitsondinho. But in response to your question:

Barrett - been here over 4 seasons now. Contributed very little. Rumours are he’s going in Jan anyway to a L1/2 team. Not sure it’s worth playing him if he’s on his way out

Olise - I agree and have said that I wouldn’t mind Aluko playing but not if it’s going to impede Olise. I really rate this kid and think he’ll go far and I certainly don’t want Aluko playing over him

McCleary - id concentrate on playing Garath RM, he was pretty poor in his appearances as a CM. I’ve already said I don’t want to see Aluko out wide, and instead as one of the CM’s so don’t see much competition

Loader - only Bowen and himself probably knows his future. The signs indicate he’s gone and he’s out. I’d rather play Aluko who has a small chance of being here after Jan than Loader who most likely has no chance. Now, if Loader is definitely staying, I’d have him over Aluko but I don’t know that

Boye - id also have him over Aluko but again, I’d see Boye as more of a LW so not necessarily competition for Aluko

The reason, as a couple of others have mentioned, that I’d give him a go on Saturday (but from the bench) is just to see if he’s made any progress. There’s something to be gained if he’s a valuable asset and can be utilised for the rest of the season and little to be lost (as long as he’s not blocking young players paths who have a future with us)

We don’t have that many young players ready for the step up if we do make 11 changes on Saturday so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a little go

You want to play Aluko in central midfield?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jan 2020 18:26

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ

QPR - was good that day
Bolton - did quite well

I wouldn’t necessarily use that as evidence because a lot of people are/were biased against Aluko because of his transfer fee so he was always rated by that barometer and not his actual performances

And he was good on that opening day against Derby, many people, including yourself said at the time he had had a good game

He also changed the game away to Derby last season and nearly saved a game we had no right to be still in on 90 mins. That was probably his best 45 mins in a Reading shirt. If he had played like that every week since his arrival, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jan 2020 18:29

Kitsondinho
URZZZZ
Hound

He also changed the game away to Derby last season and nearly saved a game we had no right to be still in on 90 mins. That was probably his best 45 mins in a Reading shirt. If he had played like that every week since his arrival, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Yes but he hasn't, that's the point 99% of us are making. He doesn't even put in a decent shift let alone anything else.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict

by Kitsondinho » 02 Jan 2020 18:38

Old Man Andrews
Kitsondinho
URZZZZ

Yes but he hasn't, that's the point 99% of us are making. He doesn't even put in a decent shift let alone anything else.

He has spent most of his time playing out of position in various systems that don’t suit him. He has never been a player who chases everything. At both Fulham and Hull, he was successful as a Number 10 who could float across the front line and cause havoc on the break. He didn’t drop deep and the only pressing he did was high up. It isn’t just about him being ‘rubbish’, there are more factors at play here. Bowen plays a more direct style of football that should allow Aluko to play to his strengths. If it works and he helps us continue to climb the table, would you be unhappy? If the answer is no, what is the problem with trying him in a cup game against lower league opposition? Hopefully very few of the first team will be anywhere near the squad on Saturday. Why not?

185 posts