BFTG - Forest v2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Forest v2

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2020 00:01

Westwood52 Gunter is an interesting one.
I felt until the last two seasons he was always a six or seven type of player,but never an eight.
These last two seasons his form fell of a cliff and Gomes rightly felt at the time,that he was finished.Then low and behold he has come back since Leeds and Yids injury,and rediscovered his best form.Deffo worth another season,although he probably will want a two season contract.

It's no surprise to me that Gunter's best has been under managers who like graft, and direct play. It forces him to go against his worst tendencies, whilst the tippy tappy bullshit under Stam and Gomes is playing to all his worst faults.

Still not much more than a good reserve FB, but at least competent again now.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 24 Jan 2020 00:25

Snowflake Royal
I felt until the last two seasons he was always a six or seven type of player,but never an eight.
These last two seasons his form fell of a cliff and Gomes rightly felt at the time,that he was finished.Then low and behold he has come back since Leeds and Yids injury,and rediscovered his best form.Deffo worth another season,although he probably will want a two season contract.

It's no surprise to me that Gunter's best has been under managers who like graft, and direct play. It forces him to go against his worst tendencies, whilst the tippy tappy bullshit under Stam and Gomes is playing to all his worst faults.

Gunter didn't do much wrong under Gomes to be fair and was part of a defence that grinded out results at Bristol and Norwich before ending the season with a very strong performance at home to Birmingham

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 24 Jan 2020 08:27

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal

Gunter didn't do much wrong under Gomes to be fair and was part of a defence that grinded out results at Bristol and Norwich before ending the season with a very strong performance at home to Birmingham

He didn't really play much, because Yiadom and when he did it was more on the left where he's always had to adapt his game and so played less to his weaknesses.

Gomes' football was exactly the sort of bollocks he'd have been awful in as a regular though.

First touch back and inside, dither, safe pass to CB increasing pressure on the team and the chance of a dangerous defensive turnover or a hurried punt upfield and turnover.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Jan 2020 08:28

https://youtu.be/5XUr52YF6yg?t=37

Above is what I was talking about with Puscas earlier

Firstly though - Olise: who needs Adam when the boy can spray passes like that? Incredible.

Back to Puscas: I'm no pro and I've never been a striker but surely Puscas just running himself and his marker right in the way of Obita's already crowded shot is just braindead, rather than running square and calling for it/ stretching the defence out. It's not the first time he's made braindead runs like this. He did a similar thing in a recent game with Swift running at them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Jan 2020 10:35

2 world wars, 1 world cup https://youtu.be/5XUr52YF6yg?t=37

Firstly though - Olise: who needs Adam when the boy can spray passes like that? Incredible.

Back to Puscas: I'm no pro and I've never been a striker but surely Puscas just running himself and his marker right in the way of Obita's already crowded shot is just braindead, rather than running square and calling for it/ stretching the defence out. It's not the first time he's made braindead runs like this. He did a similar thing in a recent game with Swift running at them.

As you say you’re no pro. I suspect training day in day out helps you know what runs to make

He clearly bollox Obita for not trying to release it earlier and slip him in - it wasn’t a bad run, just Obita took ages over the shot

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 25 Jan 2020 10:55

Hound
2 world wars, 1 world cup https://youtu.be/5XUr52YF6yg?t=37

As you say you’re no pro. I suspect training day in day out helps you know what runs to make

He clearly bollox Obita for not trying to release it earlier and slip him in - it wasn’t a bad run, just Obita took ages over the shot

Yeah I just couldn't see what a slip into an even tighter angle than Obita's would even achieve, but actually rerunning it a few times it seems like he wanted it tapped across to him much earlier when he was in the D having shaken off his defender. As he didn't get the ball he carried on running into a useless angle in Obita's way. That would have been perfect but yeah Obita held onto it forever.

Dat pass tho. Was it against Blackpool Olise did a beautiful dipping pass into the box too? He's got talent.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 25 Jan 2020 11:31

He would only have whacked it over the bar like every other tap in he gets.