Bowen Out.

320 posts
Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bowen Out.

by Lower West » 22 Feb 2020 22:37

The team now has a structure and style. Changes and additions to the playing squad will now at least have a purpose.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 22 Feb 2020 22:41

I feel the Summer transfer window will be incredibly important, we have a team that with the right additions could become a promotion chasing club I reckon.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 22 Feb 2020 22:43

tidus_mi2 I feel the Summer transfer window will be incredibly important, we have a team that with the right additions could become a promotion chasing club I reckon.

I've seen many false dawns - and tbh it's seasons where I'm expecting nothing we've done quite well. Bu, yes, therre are glimmers of possibilities - just hope whatever happens in the window doesn't mess that up.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 22 Feb 2020 22:43

tidus_mi2 I feel the Summer transfer window will be incredibly important, we have a team that with the right additions could become a promotion chasing club I reckon.

I think we are still shy of a fair few goals in this squad to push to the next level. Maybe that will change of we get some wingers in.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 22 Feb 2020 22:49

Snowflake Royal
windermereROYAL
7 points from 9 games W1 D4 L4. but it was always going to be difficult. it will get better now we`ve got some friendlier fixtures coming up.

So not very good then...

But he's still the messiah. No one has said that the points he gained prior to signing the contract were against lesser teams...

No one is saying he's a messiah.

What he is, is an excellent coach, doing a good managerial job. Which is better than we've had in quite a while.

The majority of people on here seem to think he's the second coming... Personally I think that whilst he may better than we've had for a while, his football is insipid and his team selections / tactics are at times bewildering. Its probably a sign of how shit things have been that people are willing to accept this as OK.

Oh, and excellent coach :shock: :P :P stay off the vino fella....

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Feb 2020 22:52

He's made us more difficult to beat, instilled some organisation and given us some fight. We're definitely less of a soft touch. It's a starting point and long overdue given the last 5 years. It took Coppell a couple of years of fairly uninspiring football to hit paydirt. Not trying to compare him to Coppell buy at present, he's taking us in the right direction, although I do think this season is a bit of a free pass for him.

Dont think anyone seriously considers him the Second Coming.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2020 09:15

Snowflake Royal
So not very good then...

But he's still the messiah. No one has said that the points he gained prior to signing the contract were against lesser teams...

No one is saying he's a messiah.

What he is, is an excellent coach, doing a good managerial job. Which is better than we've had in quite a while.

The majority of people on here seem to think he's the second coming... Personally I think that whilst he may better than we've had for a while, his football is insipid and his team selections / tactics are at times bewildering. Its probably a sign of how shit things have been that people are willing to accept this as OK.

Oh, and excellent coach :shock: :P :P stay off the vino fella....

Well, I think you're on your own and that view is a bit clueless.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Feb 2020 09:23

One Beer is never enough. The majority of people on here seem to think he's the second coming...

The majority? Where are you getting that from?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 23 Feb 2020 09:32

genome
One Beer is never enough. The majority of people on here seem to think he's the second coming...

The majority? Where are you getting that from?

Apologies that after 3 years of relegation struggles he hasn`t turned us into another 106 team overnight, i will take a lower mid table finish right now,

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Feb 2020 10:11

From Despair To Where? He's made us more difficult to beat, instilled some organisation and given us some fight. We're definitely less of a soft touch. It's a starting point and long overdue given the last 5 years. It took Coppell a couple of years of fairly uninspiring football to hit paydirt. Not trying to compare him to Coppell buy at present, he's taking us in the right direction, although I do think this season is a bit of a free pass for him.

Under-rated comment about having time that's so often looked in 'modern' football.

I often think our rapid turnaround under Stam is used as a stick to unfairly beat others with. The reality is that while Stam had success, the underlying metrics were pretty dour and without reigniting the whole 'luck' debate, the rapid regression shows that the squad wasn't built for sustainable success. While his style and general demeanour were unlikely to win us over, you can sympathise with how little support he was given to build something that would last.

Pardew and McDermott both found success fairly quickly, but Pardew had the benefit of a massively deep squad in a lower tier with an open transfer window, while McDermott inherited a squad which included Glyfi, Shane Long and Kebe, not to mention 106 vets including Bryn and Ivar.

McGhee and Coppell both took time to reshape the squad the way they wanted. However, we don't really know who's shaping this squad and that's the thing that worries me. Throughout Howe's tenure the transfer policy has been muddled and inconsistent, dating back to the Steve Clarke loan army of 2015/16. Yes he's better than Gourlay but there remains that nagging question about just who is recruiting players and why.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Feb 2020 10:47

I agree I think the hardest part will be keeping the squad together next summer. If we didn’t sell anyone next summer (which is highly unlikely) and didn’t let the out of contract players go we have competition in most positions.
The only blanks I think need filling is a proper understudy to push Rafael, potentially a left back if Blackett or Obita don’t stay, replacement for Gunter if he doesn’t stay, a3/4 choice centre back or Miazga permenantly.
The main issue will be replacing Adam as that is the pivotal position we need filling up in a proper pass maker and controller in midfield and that is where the money would need to be spent. And a Gomes replacement if he went. Other than that further forward I think there is enough there in the system we play now. Maybe minor tweaks in the summer with on marquee playmaker midfielder.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 23 Feb 2020 12:31

linkenholtroyal

I agree I think the hardest part will be keeping the squad together next summer. If we didn’t sell anyone next summer (which is highly unlikely) and didn’t let the out of contract players go we have competition in most positions.
The only blanks I think need filling is a proper understudy to push Rafael, potentially a left back if Blackett or Obita don’t stay, replacement for Gunter if he doesn’t stay, a3/4 choice centre back or Miazga permenantly.
The main issue will be replacing Adam as that is the pivotal position we need filling up in a proper pass maker and controller in midfield and that is where the money would need to be spent. And a Gomes replacement if he went. Other than that further forward I think there is enough there in the system we play now. Maybe minor tweaks in the summer with on marquee playmaker midfielder.

Southwood is getting good reviews at Hamilton. I think people were too premature in calling for him for this season, but I think next season could be the one for him. I doubt Walker will stay next season, in the last year of his contract

It's mentioned a few times but I wonder how much it would take to prise Baker away from Chelsea on a permanent deal. It hasn't worked for him for three seasons now, other than a 5 month loan spell here so that could create temptation for him. Similarly I'd like Pele on a permanent deal back, but think that'll be too much. Need to see what Araruna is made of really, 60 minutes of chasing shadows against WBA is a tough indicator

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2020 13:28

Wimb Throughout Howe's tenure the transfer policy has been muddled and inconsistent, dating back to the Steve Clarke loan army of 2015/16.

Not Howe's role to decide which players are bought. Far too many owners are buying into football clubs with the expectation that money alone buys promotion.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Feb 2020 16:31

I would say that since Howe has returned, our transfer dealings have been a lot more purposeful, although that could be as much down to Gourlay leaving.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 23 Feb 2020 17:12

From Despair To Where? He's made us more difficult to beat, instilled some organisation and given us some fight. We're definitely less of a soft touch. It's a starting point and long overdue given the last 5 years. It took Coppell a couple of years of fairly uninspiring football to hit paydirt. Not trying to compare him to Coppell buy at present, he's taking us in the right direction, although I do think this season is a bit of a free pass for him.

Yeah this. Dont think there is anything to add or take away from this post.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Feb 2020 17:25

Not exactly been the easiest run of late.

1st, 2nd, 5th, 7th and 10th all in the last 7 games...

Need to stay positive and pick up some points to finish strong and end up top half or as close as possible.

Next up includes 22nd, 23rd, 19th, 14th and 13th. But these shouldn't be seen as easy wins, but we should be confident we can go into them playing our game on the front foot.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2020 18:07

One Beer is never enough. The majority of people on here seem to think he's the second coming... Personally I think that whilst he may better than we've had for a while, his football is insipid and his team selections / tactics are at times bewildering. Its probably a sign of how shit things have been that people are willing to accept this as OK.

Mid table is an improvement on past seasons. When it was difficult to even see where any points were going to come from.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 23 Feb 2020 20:27

After a good run, our recent home form has been w@nk

It’s a test these next two - 2 inconsistent teams but who have proven capable of pulling off big results. If we don’t pick up at least 3 points, then a few questions will certainly be asked of how we are setting up at home (seem to be pretty solid away)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 23 Feb 2020 20:49

Yes we need to start positively in our next two home games against two of the weakest sides in the division. I don’t want to see us sit back at the start.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Feb 2020 21:11

I do think things could have been so different if João had been fit......possibly even in touch with the playoffs. Some decisions need to be made this summer, especially in the strikers area.....
As for the football, yeah it's not inspiring most of the time, but compared to the past 3 managers it's an improvement.

320 posts