Bowen Out.

320 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Bowen Out.

by Snowball » 15 Feb 2020 18:07

Today's win at Sheffield was our 9th League win since Bowen arrived.

He is now (League) W9 D7 L6 30-20 at 1.59 ppg.

Preston, currently 6th have a ppg of 1.606

One single extra point in those 22 games and our form
under Bowen would be good enough for a sixth-place finish
in a 46-game season

His win percentage is 40.91%

In the cup he is either W1 D3 or W2 D2 depending on your POV

For "2 cup wins" that's W11 D9 L6 38-26 = a win percentage of 42.31%

So, overall, he has the team playing top 6/7 football despite having key players
missing, blooding kids etc. VERY impressive, IMO, especially when we consider
where the club appeared to be going when he took over.

Also of note is that five of our defeats have been by a single goal

0-1, Leeds (2nd)
0-1, Brentford (4th)
0-1, Bristol (7th)
1-2, WBA (top)
and that horrible 2-3 Birmingham

Our defensive stats are very decent. We conceded 0.91 per game

We've only conceded 3 in the league once, the aberrant game v Birmingham

(Our only two-goal defeat was by Millwall, flying then, currently 10th)

Had we a striker on top-top form, we would be significantly higher

===============================================================

The stats are pretty good.

Odd then that I don't FEEL we're that good

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Bowen Out.

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Feb 2020 18:12

So why do you want him out?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Feb 2020 18:18

WoodleyRoyal So why do you want him out?

err....

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Feb 2020 18:28

Snowball

err....

Think the Out. is an abbreviation for Outstanding

Singing Defective

by Singing Defective » 15 Feb 2020 19:01

morganb
Snowball

err....

Think the Out. is an abbreviation for Outstanding

I thought this would be about something like what Mr Schofield did, from Bowen.

Ah well, PPG statistics are almost as entertaining.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Feb 2020 19:08

Snowball

err....

He's so slow......

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 15 Feb 2020 20:03

I think we are pretty good but unlucky. It is great seeing what Ejaria and Swift are doing to teams. With a bit if luck we would already be on the edge of the play-off positions because piss poor referees and fluky deflected goals have cost us loads of points.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Feb 2020 22:01

TL:DR

Bowen’s doing quite well

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 15 Feb 2020 22:20

Snowball Had we a striker on top-top form, we would be significantly higher

To score goals we need to create chances. The pieces that are available haven't gelled yet. Is this down to a lack of traing ground time, or are the players not suited. Jury's out. Though glimmers today with Meite and Puscas no longer yards apart.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2020 00:32

Lower West

To score goals we need to create chances. The pieces that are available haven't gelled yet. Is this down to a lack of traing ground time, or are the players not suited. Jury's out. Though glimmers today with Meite and Puscas no longer yards apart.

Not enough wisdom in the side, Adam does help with that aspect although even he is prone to poor decision making at times with shots from ridiculous angles

You can have all the talent in the world but you always need that modicum of experience and intelligence in your team. Swift, Ejaria, Puscas etc do make the wrong decisions too often

It's one reason why I rate Morrison so much, he's had a few poor games but on the whole, you can tell how his experience helps out the other defenders. For example, a defence of Yiadom - Moore - Miazga - Obita, whilst it probably looks better on paper than our defence today, in reality it's lacking a proper leader

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Feb 2020 00:46

URZZZZ
Lower West

Not enough wisdom in the side, Adam does help with that aspect although even he is prone to poor decision making at times with shots from ridiculous angles

You can have all the talent in the world but you always need that modicum of experience and intelligence in your team. Swift, Ejaria, Puscas etc do make the wrong decisions too often

It's one reason why I rate Morrison so much, he's had a few poor games but on the whole, you can tell how his experience helps out the other defenders. For example, a defence of Yiadom - Moore - Miazga - Obita, whilst it probably looks better on paper than our defence today, in reality it's lacking a proper leader

Improvement can only be incremental. As long as we move forwards and upwards. Hopefully Adam will join the coaching staff.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Feb 2020 00:58

Lower West
URZZZZ
Lower West

Improvement can only be incremental. As long as we move forwards and upwards. Hopefully Adam will join the coaching staff.

Not sure he would, more likely to be involved in the Blackpool coaching set up if he were to go down that route. Even now, his name is being thrown about for the current Blackpool manager job

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Feb 2020 01:35

URZZZZ
Lower West
URZZZZ

Not sure he would, more likely to be involved in the Blackpool coaching set up if he were to go down that route. Even now, his name is being thrown about for the current Blackpool manager job

Needs to acquire coaching badges first, Where better than Reading.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Feb 2020 06:50

Lower West
URZZZZ
Lower West

Needs to acquire coaching badges first, Where better than Reading.

Liverpool, Barcalona, Bayern Munchen, Dortmund, Manchester City, Leeds, Chelsea etc etc

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 16 Feb 2020 10:06

Snowball The stats are pretty good.

Although youve done a bit of your usual stats massage, this conclusion is pretty much sound. We are certainly better than we were under Gomez and the last season of Stam, but are still pretty bang average overall. What your stats do show is that we need to make more steps to be a genuine top half/top six team. Just as you wouldnt read too much in the Hull draw because of the nature of the equaliser, I wouldnt read too much into beating an out of form 10 man team. Its a good result, dont get me wrong

The only result I was truly disappointed in was the Birmingham result. And we usually have more disappointing results in a season than that. Also that was negated by the Preston result - the sort of result we havent got much of recently. Overall, we are better, and the stats dont lie. But in actuality we have quite a way to go and quite a lot of damage to repair. Pointing in the right direction, though.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Feb 2020 10:24

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Snowball The stats are pretty good.

Although youve done a bit of your usual stats massage, this conclusion is pretty much sound. We are certainly better than we were under Gomez and the last season of Stam, but are still pretty bang average overall. What your stats do show is that we need to make more steps to be a genuine top half/top six team. Just as you wouldnt read too much in the Hull draw because of the nature of the equaliser, I wouldnt read too much into beating an out of form 10 man team. Its a good result, dont get me wrong

The only result I was truly disappointed in was the Birmingham result. And we usually have more disappointing results in a season than that. Also that was negated by the Preston result - the sort of result we havent got much of recently. Overall, we are better, and the stats dont lie. But in actuality we have quite a way to go and quite a lot of damage to repair. Pointing in the right direction, though.

I do feel most of the pieces are there. It's just about finding the final couple, or maturing players into them, and then molding the second choice players into the right blend to give us relatively seamless back up for injuries / suspension and loss of form and a plan b.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Feb 2020 11:06

Not sure how a direct counting of wins, draws, losses, goals for and against is “massaging stats”

Incidentally, my 46-game extrapolation just happens to be 100% supported by the table since October 18th (Bowen’s first game was October 19)

Go to WhoScored and select a start date for the table of 19-October

We are 7th in that table

Incidentally our game at Leeds is our 23rd league game under Bowen, half a season, effectively, a very solid measure

If we lose at Leeds it means “=“ a 66 point full season, a draw “=“ a 68 point season, and a win (not that likely, but...) would then equate to 72 points

Seems to me more than likely we will challenge for the top six next year

Of course we need to keep Gabriel or get a better keeper, need a fit Miazga to sign or get another Morrison. I’d like to keep Pele, and we have to get (or create from what we have) a genuinely potent strike force.

My hope is we get a big rough tough CF who forms a partnership with Puscas
Last edited by Snowball on 16 Feb 2020 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Feb 2020 11:11

and Olise, McIntyre should fully establish themselves next season with Richards

One thing I think we lack is raw power, aggression, real speed, a Long type

Or

How would we have fared with someone like Jason Roberts in his first season with us? Had he improved us by 5 points, by 10?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Feb 2020 11:23

One interesting* stat. Yesterday marked our 11th win this season. The first time we have managed to hit that mark since the play off season under Stam

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Feb 2020 11:30

Stranded One interesting* stat. Yesterday marked our 11th win this season. The first time we have managed to hit that mark since the play off season under Stam

Sheesh, really?

God, it's been a depressing few years!

320 posts