Jimmy Wheeler RIP

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

Jimmy Wheeler RIP

by Royals and Racers » 20 Feb 2020 15:04

Not sure if this thread should be on the team board, but very sad that Jimmy has died aged 86 He was one of the first players i remember when i started watching the Royals in the late 50’s

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Jimmy Wheeler 1933-2020

by The Royal Forester » 20 Feb 2020 15:09

The club has announced on the Official Website the death of Jimmy Wheeler. Truly a club legend, Reading being the only club he played for. He managed the reserve team and got them promoted, the first promotion the club had had for several decades. I remember the last match of that promotion season and helping to chair him off the pitch,
Sorry, I do not know how to show website article here, so head over to the Reading FC website for more details of his time at Reading. Anyone care to share their memories of him here?

percy_freeman

Re: Jimmy Wheeler RIP

by percy_freeman » 20 Feb 2020 15:10

Very Sad, Just heard from my daughter who lives next door to Jimmy. RIP a true Reading FC Legend. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jimmy Wheeler 1933-2020

by The Royal Forester » 20 Feb 2020 15:11

Sorry, Royals and Racers. We must have typing at the same time.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Feb 2020 15:29

RIP Mr Wheeler.

Can you guys share memories of the old boy for plastics like me who know nothing about him?

What position was he? What was he like?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 20 Feb 2020 15:39

Never saw him play as he retired years before I was born but certainly knew of him as one of the most prolific goalscorers in the club's history.

R.I.P Jimmy Wheeler.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 20 Feb 2020 16:43

Great servant to the club. There was always a 'buzz' when Jimmy Wee got on the ball. We felt he could make something good happen! He went on to manage Bradford City IIRC and got them promotion in his first year with them. He was a hero with City then! He (and Maurice Evans) were the cornerstones of the Reading I first started to watch!

RIP Jimmy.

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 20 Feb 2020 16:59

I have many, many happy memories of Jimmy Wheeler playing for us in the 1950s and 1960s. He was a winger or inside-forward who played over 400 games for us and scored nearly 150 goals. He never stopped trying and although he wasn't the most talented footballer in the world his record speaks for itself. He was the personification of the football club to me. Thanks, Jimmy, and may you rest in peace.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 20 Feb 2020 17:54

2 world wars, 1 world cup RIP Mr Wheeler.

Can you guys share memories of the old boy for plastics like me who know nothing about him?

If you go to the club website, you can see a potted history of his career. Sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste it onto here, perhaps someone could do it.
I remember when he managed the reserve team and got them promoted and helping to chair him off the pitch after the final game. That was the first promotion the club had for several decades, as far as I know.The "stiffs" as we knew them were getting bigger crowds than the first team.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 Feb 2020 18:30

The Royal Forester
2 world wars, 1 world cup RIP Mr Wheeler.

If you go to the club website, you can see a potted history of his career. Sorry, I don't know how to cut and paste it onto here, perhaps someone could do it.
I remember when he managed the reserve team and got them promoted and helping to chair him off the pitch after the final game. That was the first promotion the club had for several decades, as far as I know.The "stiffs" as we knew them were getting bigger crowds than the first team.

That's cool thanks buddy. Yeah I googled him and there's loads of info etc, it's just nice to get fans' opinions in a forum. That's a cool story about your memory of the reserves thanks!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2020 18:53

Did lots of local charity football up until he was incapable of doing so apparently.

RIP JW

A little before my time, never saw you play, but the fact that I have read so much about you in various RFC publications over the years is testimony itself to your ‘legend’ status.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jimmy Wheeler 1933-2020

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 Feb 2020 18:55

A past player worthy of more than one thread

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Feb 2020 18:59

Yep, before my time too, but RIP

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 20 Feb 2020 22:07

We'll be asking to the club to ensure there's a minute's silence or applause - whatever is deemed most appropriate.

Jimmy was much loved by the fans of his eras. The classic story of a one club man - 450 games for his home town club, a wholehearted trier, a decent pro, top scorer five years in a row. He wasn't a big man but he scored plenty of goals from all across the forward line. We had five forwards in them days rather than one.

Jimmy was inducted into STAR 's Reading Hall of Fame last year, just in time as it sadly turns out, and it was great to see him at the event with his family and it clearly meant something to them all. We've lost one of our best. RIP Jimmy Wee.

BTW there's a little biog in the Hall of Fame section on our website.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 21 Feb 2020 14:22

True legend of RFC

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 21 Feb 2020 15:22

His mum and dad lived a few doors up from us in Beecham Road and at the time he was the nearest we got to a celebrity.
I used to play with his much younger brother Frank.
A real trier on the pitch and very strong.
He used to coach the Spartan League side Huntley & Palmers and it was no surprise that he went on to have quite a successful time as manager of Bradford City.
It has become ever rarer to have any one club players so "legend" is IMHO justified.

There was also a comedian around at the same time called Jimmy Wheeler so he had quite a famous name.

RIP to a Reading legend.

Just for the benefit of Tazewell Royal do you remember the goose neck that Jimmy seemed to have.?

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 21 Feb 2020 15:49

South Coast Royal His mum and dad lived a few doors up from us in Beecham Road and at the time he was the nearest we got to a celebrity.
He used to coach the Spartan League side Huntley & Palmers and it was no surprise that he went on to have quite a successful time as manager of Bradford City.
It has become ever rarer to have any one club players so "legend" is IMHO justified.

There was also a comedian around at the same time called Jimmy Wheeler so he had quite a famous name.

RIP to a Reading legend.

Just for the benefit of Tazewell Royal do you remember the goose neck that Jimmy seemed to have.?

I remember hearing on the radio Jimmy Wheeler (comedian) giving a mention to Jimmy Wheeler (footballer) and the comedian made a joke, along the lines of when the lights at Elm Park went out, his namesake told everyone to hold their hands up as many hands make light work. I can only think it must have been during the school holidays and my mother had "Workers Playtime"on and it may have been recorded (or live) at H & P's canteen.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Feb 2020 16:29

Well before my time but I love hearing about these sorts of players so thank you all for sharing your memories. He certainly seems to have lived a full life and been worthy of being called a Reading Legend. Glad he got his STAR induction in time.

RIP

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Feb 2020 16:49

The Royal Forester
South Coast Royal His mum and dad lived a few doors up from us in Beecham Road and at the time he was the nearest we got to a celebrity.

RIP to a Reading legend.

I remember hearing on the radio Jimmy Wheeler (comedian) giving a mention to Jimmy Wheeler (footballer) and the comedian made a joke, along the lines of when the lights at Elm Park went out, his namesake told everyone to hold their hands up as many hands make light work. I can only think it must have been during the school holidays and my mother had "Workers Playtime"on and it may have been recorded (or live) at H & P's canteen.

Jimmy (the comedian) had a catch phrase “aye, aye, that’s your lot” which I seem to recall is still used from time to time these days.

Our Jimmy had good initial success as manager at Bradford after he left Reading, leading them to promotion to the 3rd division. Lasted 3 years there before resigning. Hoping the club and family agree a minute’s silence/applause can be held before either the Wigan or the Barnsley game.

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 21 Feb 2020 17:09

Jimmy Wheeler was of course part of the goal scoring " Jimmy`s " with his pal Jimmy Whitehouse. What memories !!