162 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a) sponsored by mid table obscurity

by Sutekh » 04 Mar 2020 07:44

When : Saturday 7 March 2020, 3pm
Where : St Andrews, Birmingham, B9 4RL
Capacity : 30,016
Away Stand : Gil Merrick Stand (lower tier)

Well, now the season is more or less realistically over, barring a catastrophic disaster in the points department in the remaining games, it’s all off to Birmingham City who are equally likely (least at the moment) to be not going anywhere or doing anything this season.

Back in December Birmingham were on a run of what turned out to be 1 win in 12 league games - and guess who the 1 win was against. Now it’s March and Birmingham find themselves on a run of 10 league games without defeat (W4, D6) and have drawn all of their last 4 games.

There are two players which must be kept quiet, Lukas Jutkiewicz with 13 goals from 36 games but much more important is keeping Scott Hogan out of the game as he is up to his old tricks of scoring for fun with 6 goals in 7 appearances since joining on loan from Villa in January.

The blues face a hard cup tie at Leicester on Wednesday night so like Reading will have has a busy week. They are likely to rest their latest superstar Jude Bellingham for that game but otherwise field a reasonably strong line up. They are likely to be missing Jeremy Bela due to a hamstring problem for the Reading game though.

Reading will be hoping everyone comes through the after effects of Sheffield United successfully with no one added to the injury list though just how fresh they will be after Tuesday will remain to be seen.

Referee

Andy Davies returns for his second Reading game in a month.

Previously...

08 Feb 20 > Reading 1-1 Hull City
18 Aug 19 > Reading 3-0 Cardiff City
09 Mar 19 > Reading 3-2 Wigan Athletic
26 Dec 18 > Millwall 1-0 Reading
02 Oct 18 > Reading 0-1 Queens Park Rangers
28 Feb 18 > Reading 1-3 Sheffield United
19 Sep 17 > Reading 0-2 Swansea City (LC)
07 Mar 17 > Reading 0-0 Newcastle United
26 Dec 16 > Reading 3-1 Norwich City
29 Oct 16 > Reading 2-0 Nottingham Forest
06 Aug 16 > Reading 1-0 Preston North End
15 Sep 15 > Reading 0-1 Derby County

Historically

It took Reading until 1986 before they managed a league game with Birmingham and of the first nine league games played between the sides, seven ended in draws. To me it just seems that the fixture has subsequently struggled with an air of dour tedium ever since.

That said Reading do seem to do slightly better against the Blues in their own back yard as opposed to playing in Reading as the Royals have recorded 6 wins which is only 1 less than Birmingham themselves..

Usually there are goals in this game and a clean sheet for either side is a bit unlikely so who would bet against a 0-0?

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to St Andrew's
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use an iFollow subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM ; 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4, BBC iPlayer Radio (other radio apps are available ))

Old Man Andrews

Re: MATCHWATCH : Birmingham City (a) sponsored by mid table obscurity

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 07:44

Andy Davies is no Kevin Friend.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 07:50

No way Liam Moore should waltz back in for this one, leave him on the bench.

Rafael

Yiadom
Morrison
Miazga
Richards

Pele
Rinomhota
Swift

Meite
Puscas
McCleary

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2020 08:05

.......................Cabral
Yiadom, Miazga, Morrison, Obita
.....................Rino, Swift
..Meite, ...........Olise, .........Baldock
.......................Puscas

Really impressed with Olise. Ejaria needs a pointed break and some coaching on how to deliver end product. Masika hasn't impressed me in the bits and pieces I've seen, so back to Clement's idea of using Baldock as an energetic wide forward. Him, Olise and Rino add some much needed tempo to our game.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 08:06

Snowflake Royal .......................*Cabral
Yiadom, Miazga, Morrison, Obita
.....................Rino, Swift
..Meite, ...........Olise, .........Baldock
.......................Puscas

Really impressed with Olise. Ejaria needs a pointed break and some coaching on how to deliver end product. Masika hasn't impressed me in the bits and pieces I've seen, so back to Clement's idea of using Baldock as an energetic wide forward. Him, Olise and Rino add some much needed tempo to our game.

*Rafael

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 08:28

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
McCleary

Puscas

Walker Blackett Moore Pele Ejaria Timbe Baldock

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Mar 2020 08:44

Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Moore
Richards

Judilson Gomes
Swift

Meite
Ejaria
Timbe

Puscas

Subs:

Walker, Morrison, Obita, Rinomhota, Mccleary, Olise, Baldock

Freshen it up after the exertion of 120 minutes. Time for Timbe to get a start in place of Olise who has struggled in the last couple of league games he has started, bar the first half hour at Leeds where he was sensational.

Ovie due an assist in this one given he got an assist against Sheffield Wednesday, the last time URZZZZ and Ian started digging at him for "lack of end product".
Last edited by sandman on 04 Mar 2020 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 08:48

sandman Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Moore
Richards

Judilson Gomes
Swift

Meite
Ejaria
Timbe

Puscas

Subs:

Why are you randomly playing Timbe?

What has Liam Moore done to deserve to be included?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2020 09:47

sandman Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Moore
Richards

Judilson Gomes
Swift

Meite
Ejaria
Timbe

Puscas

Subs:

Freshen it up after the exertion of 120 minutes. Time for Timbe to get a start in place of Olise who has struggled in the last couple of league games he has started, bar the first half hour at Leeds where he was sensational.

Ovie due an assist in this one given he got an assist against Sheffield Wednesday, the last time URZZZZ and Ian started digging at him for "lack of end product".

Hi Tim, not sure HNA is a healthy place for you to be, but your lack of football knowledge and love of shit stats should mean you fit right in at the Team Board.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Mar 2020 10:40

URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
McCleary

Puscas

Obita in for Richards but otherwise like this side. Though he tired, I though Obita offered plenty in the Sheff Utd game - those long curling balls down the line were causing a fair few problems. Best crosser in the side as well.

Miazga was struggling a bit with his ankle I think - he was walking quite gingerly in ET. But if he is ok then him and Morro have formed a good pair.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 11:24

Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
McCleary

Puscas

Obita in for Richards but otherwise like this side. Though he tired, I though Obita offered plenty in the Sheff Utd game - those long curling balls down the line were causing a fair few problems. Best crosser in the side as well.

Miazga was struggling a bit with his ankle I think - he was walking quite gingerly in ET. But if he is ok then him and Morro have formed a good pair.

I think Blackett is a better crosser but it’s close. No idea why he was randomly dropped to be honest, but no real point putting him back in now we’ve got very little to play for

I don’t think Obita would be able to play 300 minutes in a week regardless, hence if he did start, he’d probably have to be taken off which may be a waste of a sub depending on how the game is going

Will be a tricky one, they haven’t lost in any competition since 1 January. Although that’s likely to change by the end of tonight

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 11:26

URZZZZ
Hound
URZZZZ Rafael

Yiadom
Miazga
Morrison
Richards

Rino
Swift

Meite
Olise
McCleary

Puscas

I think Blackett is a better crosser but it’s close. No idea why he was randomly dropped to be honest, but no real point putting him back in now we’ve got very little to play for

I don’t think Obita would be able to play 300 minutes in a week regardless, hence if he did start, he’d probably have to be taken off which may be a waste of a sub depending on how the game is going

Will be a tricky one, they haven’t lost in any competition since 1 January. Although that’s likely to change by the end of tonight

They are a weird side Birmingham, remind me of us in a way in terms of how they set up and the type of players they have.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 12:19

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Hound

They are a weird side Birmingham, remind me of us in a way in terms of how they set up and the type of players they have.

You won’t see many better strike partnerships in the Champ than Jutkiewicz and Hogan. Good big man, small man combo, very dangerous

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 12:27

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

You won’t see many better strike partnerships in the Champ than Jutkiewicz and Hogan. Good big man, small man combo, very dangerous

They are both over 6ft?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 12:29

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews They are a weird side Birmingham, remind me of us in a way in terms of how they set up and the type of players they have.

They are both over 6ft?

Hogan is about 5ft 10"

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 12:31

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ

They are both over 6ft?

Hogan is about 5ft 10"

He is 5'11. That isn't short.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Mar 2020 12:32

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews They are both over 6ft?

Hogan is about 5ft 10"

My mistake. Big man/quick man combo

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Mar 2020 12:33

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Hogan is about 5ft 10"

My mistake. Big man/quick man combo

They do seem to be a good combo. I think Meite and Puscas could end up being a really decent combo for us if given time to play together.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Mar 2020 13:30

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews They are both over 6ft?

Hogan is about 5ft 10"

No, it isn't.

But it isn't over 6ft, either.

Old Man Andrews