4%
Ejaria
13%
Miazga
2%

Total votes: 47
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Best signing of the summer window?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Mar 2020 08:24

Who do you think has been the best signing from the summer window?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best signing of the summer window?

by Hound » 05 Mar 2020 08:51

tough one that. Puscas and Ejaria were both signed for the long term really. Both have done fairly well, but we'd expect a better return next season.

Joao and Miazga have been pretty good but injury prone. Adam did a job. Boye didnt.

Pele has done well, whilst Morrison and Rafael were both excellent signings on a free.

I still think Puscas long term might turn out to be a class striker at this level, so will go for him
Last edited by Hound on 05 Mar 2020 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Mar 2020 08:51

For contributions this season, Rafael. Taking into account future potential, Ejaria. Difficult choice though, and underlines how good our summer business was this year. Last few years it has been obvious because 90% of signings have been shite.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Mar 2020 08:51

For contributions this season, Rafael. Taking into account future potential, Ejaria. Difficult choice though, and underlines how good our summer business was this year. Last few years it has been obvious because 90% of signings have been shite.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Mar 2020 08:55

Impact on this season, got to be Rafael for me. Virgínia clearly wasn't up to it and bringing in a good 'keeper for no outlay was an excellent piece of business.

Looking ahead to the future, I'm really excited to see what Puscas can do next season, he seems to have confidence flowing through him at the moment and I firmly believe he will only get better with time.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2020 09:02

Has Rafael really been that impressive? I am not doubting his ability or the fact he is a steady pair of hands but I just don't think he has won us too many games, Fulham away is the only one I can think of. I think there are a few goals he could have done a bit better with too.

For me it has to be Joao because I expected very little from him and it is also clear to see how important he is for us now that he is injured. There has been a direct link between his injury and our lack of form.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Mar 2020 09:06

Rafael. Simply because we needed a good goalkeeper and he is one.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 05 Mar 2020 09:11

Old Man Andrews Has Rafael really been that impressive? I am not doubting his ability or the fact he is a steady pair of hands but I just don't think he has won us too many games, Fulham away is the only one I can think of. I think there are a few goals he could have done a bit better with too.

For me it has to be Joao because I expected very little from him and it is also clear to see how important he is for us now that he is injured. There has been a direct link between his injury and our lack of form.

I'd agree that, aside from the Christmas run of games, he's not always a match winner, though I would add QPR to Fulham as games he's had winning contributions in.

But he hasn't cost us any points either. He is reliable and gives the team in front of him confidence through this. With Virginia and Walker, it wasn't just a matter of errors. They didn't inspire confidence and it showed through the whole team playing in front of them.

In this context, Rafael's impact has been immeasurable. But he's not in the same league as Martinez who regularly put in the match winning performances you mention. No problem with that; he clearly belonged at a higher level and Rafael is a good Championship keeper.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 05 Mar 2020 09:30

Old Man Andrews Has Rafael really been that impressive? I am not doubting his ability or the fact he is a steady pair of hands but I just don't think he has won us too many games, Fulham away is the only one I can think of. I think there are a few goals he could have done a bit better with too.

Wow I agree with OMA ... but also strange how there were several comments earlier on after he joined us along the lines of 'never want to see him in a Reading shirt again' etc. as he was deemed lazy etc.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Mar 2020 10:34

Ejaria head and shoulders above the rest

Puscas - good player in my opinion and time may prove him to be as great as his early promise but there's no doubt he has striggled with consistency and can't be called the best

Joao - in his first game I gave him a 10/10 rating, the only time I've given that for any player I think, predicting he'd be immense for us. Sure enough he was immense before the injury but there was too long a period of him being the inconsistent player that many suggested he was when he joined.

Adam - started off as possibly the worst signing ever made. Then in our purple patch was arguably one of the most important players for us. I feel we massively missed him as we exited the purple patch but his form beingn reintroduced since then has let him down.

Rafael - in terms of importance as we had no other decent keeper, I can see why he'd be places as the best signing. Certainly most needed, but I wouldn't say best. Yes he's a safe enoguh pair of hands, and does some good saves and so is definitely an above average keeper. But is he some sort of super saviour "best" player in terms of ability compared to the others we've brought in? No.

Boye - has been largely shite.

Morrison - like Rafael above, an important signing. A very solid defender, and a great addition. In other seasons he'd be up there as the best but with this competition can't be up there as the top.

Pele - started anonymously. Really grew into a very important player but a couple of wobbles in recent games. I guess where he plays he's never going to be the sort of player who can shine as "the best". Someone in his position is doing well when he's not in the headlines I guess. Solid player, would like to sign him for sure. But not the best summer signing.

Miazga - see Morrison above. Great to have him back. Shame about his injury.

Ejaria - head and shoulders above anyone on this list. Does he have some so-so games? Yes. Are there some flaws to his game? Yes. One has to factor in he's young, he's been wasted in certain positions, etc, but there's absolutely no doubt this guy has something very special about him indeed. That he was "found out" very early by opposition feeling the need the have 3 men close him down instantly every time he gets anywhere near the ball is absolute testament to how special this guy is. Don't be fooled by muted performances as a result. This guy is class and absolutely head and shoulders the best signing (assuming we gt him for £3mill) by several miles, no one even comes close.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Mar 2020 14:31

Where's the Virginia option?

Being serious, Morrison, added some much needed steel to the defence

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Mar 2020 14:36

URZZZZ Where's the Virginia option?

Think he has been at fault for a fair few goals this season, by no means a bad signing but not the best imo.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 05 Mar 2020 15:45

I would have to go with Rafael.He is very steady and a consistently good performer remember we would have been stuck with Virginia (a disaster ).I can recall very few howlers and only a few technical errors over the season.He did seem under Gomes not to know when to go short or long,which often got us into trouble.However under Bowen he is quite happy to take the long option.

Me being me,I have reservations over every other acquisition.

Morrison. Has tightened up the defence.However he cannot pick a pass with any accuracy and he has been directly responsible for a few goals.

Miazga.Slightly less dominant than last season.Has he been carrying an injury for most of the season ?

Pele.My player of the season until recently,when he has started to misplace his passes.That said,I would like to keep him.

Adam.At the time I thought it was a very strange acquisition.But has made more of a contribution than I expected, particularly pre Xmas.I am not sure he has made allowances
for no longer being the player he once was.

Aruna.I just think this has the Brazilian guys stamp all over this.He was never ever going To be able to play his natural game in the Champ.

Jao .Once he got injured any play off chances left the room.As a Sheff We’d supporter said,good then bad then injured.

Puskas. We have been unable to use him to his best quality.He is at his best running into the channels.There is a Prem player buried there,but he cannot hold up play or shrug off very physical defenders.

Boye Not sure he has ever really been given a chance.Again there is a very useful player in there somewhere;but he has proved to have been a bit of a passenger.

Timbe.More encouraged by his performances than Aruna.His lightening speed ,will always be useful in this league.Definitely the unfinished article though.

Ejaria.I thought he was the weakest of last years loanees,and always thought he was a bit of a luxury.Sadly there has rarely been an end product.At 22 this was always going to be a key season for him,and it hasn’t really happened for him.I am 50/50 about getting him for next season.But we will kick ourselves if we don’t get him and next season he gets his game face on more regularly.

Probably forgotten someone.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2020 17:38

Morrison for sure. Cheap, experienced, quality.

Rafael also great.

Ejaria, Puscas, Adam, Pele, Miazga and Joao all good with some limitations.

Virginia and Boye shit

Masika and Araruna currently somewhat lacking in whelmage.

That's a really good hit rate for us in recent years.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Mar 2020 17:42

Rafael aswell so nice to have a nice pair of hands contracted to us. Joao, puscas, Ejaria and swift will get us up the top of the table next year if all kept. Rafael is the reason we are not heading to league 1 this year.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 05 Mar 2020 18:48

URZZZZ Where's the Virginia option?

It’s a difficult choice to be honest, a lot of contenders but no real stand outs, unlike last season’s summer signings where Yiadom won by a landslide

Going through the others though:
Rafael - been solid and rarely makes mistakes leading to goals, another shout

Virginia - no more needs to be said

Miazga - been injured for too many portions of the season

Pele - took him a long time to start showing what he has, possibly time to adapt but then again he was at Forest last year

Ejaria - blows too hot and cold, reckon this summer will be a big one for him

Adam - exceeded expectations but probably hasn’t played enough to be considered

Boye - he tries too hard when he plays, often flatters to deceive as a result

Puscas - improving game by game but too many poor performances IMO

Joao - hasn’t started enough games to be considered IMO

A lot of average - good signings though, without any real standout like last year

Edit : Meant to quote OMA’s post :oops:

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Mar 2020 19:06

Rafael. Very consistent. He has rarely let a soft goal in and generally performed well. So for me he is our best summer signing

Ejaria Started brilliantly but end product has been disappointing for someone so talented.

Morrison. Old school centre back which is fine but he has his limitations.

Miazga. In my opinion our best centre back but hasn’t played enough to warrant best summer signing.

Pele I like him. Feel we are more solid with him in the side.

Puscas Definitely improving and 11 goals so far is decent. It has taken him time to adapt and he has had to feed off scraps a lot of the time.

Boye Poor

Adam. One lovely spell for about a month. On his game he is a joy to watch as he strikes the ball so sweetly.

Joao. I’m not convinced yet. I do feel we are overegging our drop off in form once he was injured. He has yet to have a full and successful season at this level.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Mar 2020 21:23

We would 100% be in a relegation scrap right now without Rafael so he wins for me.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 05 Mar 2020 23:26

Puscas for me. When he gets chances he's a clinical finisher. Of 18 on target shots this season, 9 have resulted in goals. Needs to improve his all round game. Probably why he ended up at Reading rather than a bigger club.

19 posts   •   Page 1 of 1