Coronavirus outbreak

1127 posts
JR

Re: Coronavirus outbreak

by JR » 13 Mar 2020 21:46

Nameless I think we’ll not see the rest of the games played. Even going behind closed doors is problematic if teams have players ill.
If it is cancelled then promotion and relegation have to be declared null and void. Titles should still be awarded to teams currently top. I hope no one is top by virtue of having played an extra game....

Can’t award teams titles if season not finished.

Unfortunately 19:20 will just need to be wiped from the records

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Mar 2020 21:51

JR
Bonzodog More devastating news Match of the Day is being replaced by Mrs Browns Boys

I really have never understood how anyone watches this absolute rubbish

Agreed, highlights just don’t tell you enough about a match, and sometimes Danny Murphy is on it.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Mar 2020 22:02

Sutekh
windermereROYAL
Ascotexgunner
You cant stop it for 2 months.....its crazy......Many players wont have trained properly still, the virus may still be around and some players may contract it late, theres going to be some very bitter club owners and fans after this......

No easy way around this is there and some very difficult decisions to be made, May/June could well be converted into June/July, add the three month normal summer break and we are talking October for the next season. , that just impossible with `pre-seson preperation and trying to get all fixtures in before May 2021, give us a clue how to get out of tis unprecendended shitfest?

This. I would expect that the league seasons around Europe would resume mid May and finish end of June.

Euros could then be postponed until next summer.

Maybe season 20/21 to begin in September

Perhaps we might see no replays in FA Cup games next season and extra games like the Super Cup and World Club Championship suspended. Perhaps also the Nations League could be suspended to reduce the number of international breaks so as league seasons can finish by mid May and all should then be on target for the Euros.

Just have to wait and see though - plenty of discussion to be had on what might or might not be done, might even find everything back in April after all :shock:

When is the Confederations Cup being played?

Typically it is the summer before a World Cup which would make delaying the Euros farcical as several of the best teams would have to withdraw. But with the existing Qatar farce, it might be being played in the winter. In which case does the summer contract to create a winter break or will we have an ACoN/Asia Cup situation where clubs have to put up with losing their players?

My idle speculation is that the Euros either go ahead more or less as planned, or they are cancelled outright.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Mar 2020 22:04

I think there's a not insignificant chance that 20/21 could be a washout too, let alone 19/20.

A winter resurgence could really fook up next season.

Needle

by Needle » 13 Mar 2020 22:59

Maidenhead playing tomorrow :D

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Mar 2020 23:25

SCIAG
Sutekh
windermereROYAL
No easy way around this is there and some very difficult decisions to be made, May/June could well be converted into June/July, add the three month normal summer break and we are talking October for the next season. , that just impossible with `pre-seson preperation and trying to get all fixtures in before May 2021, give us a clue how to get out of tis unprecendended shitfest?

This. I would expect that the league seasons around Europe would resume mid May and finish end of June.

Perhaps we might see no replays in FA Cup games next season and extra games like the Super Cup and World Club Championship suspended. Perhaps also the Nations League could be suspended to reduce the number of international breaks so as league seasons can finish by mid May and all should then be on target for the Euros.

Just have to wait and see though - plenty of discussion to be had on what might or might not be done, might even find everything back in April after all :shock:

Typically it is the summer before a World Cup which would make delaying the Euros farcical as several of the best teams would have to withdraw. But with the existing Qatar farce, it might be being played in the winter. In which case does the summer contract to create a winter break or will we have an ACoN/Asia Cup situation where clubs have to put up with losing their players?

My idle speculation is that the Euros either go ahead more or less as planned, or they are cancelled outright.

What exactly was the point of the Confederations Cup? There’s a World Cup so why on earth would you waste time with a tournament comprising confederation champions, you’d either have one or the other, not both.

Not that that question really matters now anyway as didn’t FIFA abolish the Confederations Cup tournament last year owing to the increased numbers in the World Cup finals?

However I believe there are plans to start a Club World Cup held over the summer months at some point in the future. :roll:
Last edited by Sutekh on 13 Mar 2020 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Mar 2020 23:26

Anybody desperate for their football fix, and not fancying the Magpies game.....Hungerford (v Bath City) desperately need your money....and of course the 3 points

KNLFOOTTB etc etc

elrey

by elrey » 14 Mar 2020 01:17

Old Man Andrews
elrey
genome Reading the BBC article today, a medical expert said that the virus isn't hugely potent outside and that sporting events are relatively safe

Question is, why would anyone actually risk it?

Because the majority of the population aren't massive pussies.

But it would seem some people are complete idiots.

But then I see complete idiots on a daily basis in China, and I know the virus spread because of complete idiots who are also not very hygienic.

All of my family in the UK are susceptible to the coronavirus, either they could die, or could see an immediate member of the family die. If being a pussy is not wanting my whole family wiped out, then oxf*rd you, I'm a pussy.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Mar 2020 07:48

elrey
Old Man Andrews
elrey
Question is, why would anyone actually risk it?

Because the majority of the population aren't massive pussies.

But it would seem some people are complete idiots.

But then I see complete idiots on a daily basis in China, and I know the virus spread because of complete idiots who are also not very hygienic.

All of my family in the UK are susceptible to the coronavirus, either they could die, or could see an immediate member of the family die. If being a pussy is not wanting my whole family wiped out, then oxf*rd you, I'm a pussy.

. Don't engage. He's a massive oxf*rd.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 14 Mar 2020 08:49

Has anyone considered the effect on FFP of the virus and shutdown? Many clubs will post losses which are not the consequence of bad financial management. What if they exceed the £39 million loss threshold?
Will the EFL punish owners for funding these losses?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Mar 2020 09:12

SpaghettiHoop Has anyone considered the effect on FFP of the virus and shutdown? Many clubs will post losses which are not the consequence of bad financial management. What if they exceed the £39 million loss threshold?
Will the EFL punish owners for funding these losses?

Seeing as it is totally out of their control, I am going to say no.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2020 09:46

Yes these are extenuating circumstances that no club cannot do anything about. It is going be to be very difficult for stacks of clubs in the coming weeks. I’d be surprised if we see any games open to the public between now and the new season.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Mar 2020 10:03

Sutekh
SCIAG
Sutekh

What exactly was the point of the Confederations Cup? There’s a World Cup so why on earth would you waste time with a tournament comprising confederation champions, you’d either have one or the other, not both.

Not that that question really matters now anyway as didn’t FIFA abolish the Confederations Cup tournament last year owing to the increased numbers in the World Cup finals?

However I believe there are plans to start a Club World Cup held over the summer months at some point in the future. :roll:

You’re right, it had been abolished. So that’s one obstacle out of the way.

The main point of it was to serve as a test run for the World Cup, but as it looked like Qatar would fail they just cancelled the test :lol:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 14 Mar 2020 10:44

Nameless I think we’ll not see the rest of the games played. Even going behind closed doors is problematic if teams have players ill.
If it is cancelled then promotion and relegation have to be declared null and void. Titles should still be awarded to teams currently top. I hope no one is top by virtue of having played an extra game....

How about if they played in hazmat suits?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Mar 2020 10:55

I'm following the Coronavirus resource on Johns Hopkins University

Yesterday Worldwide deaths broke through 5,000

Today at 10:13 AM the total was 5,429

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Mar 2020 10:57

If they scrap this season (IF) what's best?

Could they have a full season next August onwards (or Sept/Oct whenever)
but include the games/points from this year (making a near-double-sized
season?

That way, sides doing well this season don't throw everything away but
every side in trouble has about 1.25 seasons more to get out of the poo.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Mar 2020 11:00

Have now seen two LOVELY videos, one Italy, one Sicily
of Italians/Sicilians all opening their windows and singing
together.

BRILLIANT!

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Mar 2020 11:00

It’s potentially very messy. There remains the prospect of the games being played behind closed doors just to bring the season to a conclusion. I don’t like the idea of points being carried over to next season.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Mar 2020 11:03

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Mar 2020 11:03

Zip It’s potentially very messy. There remains the prospect of the games being played behind closed doors just to bring the season to a conclusion. I don’t like the idea of points being carried over to next season.

We have to do SOMEthing for Leeds.

Cough

1127 posts