Best Reading FC performances in your lifetime

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Best Reading FC performances in your lifetime

by South Coast Royal » 18 Apr 2020 15:43

SCIAG
South Coast Royal
Zip

Victor you daft old codger Curbishley was in charge of the Sham when we beat them 6-0.

As pointed out earlier by your regular quiz conqueror. :wink:

Pardew was definitely the manager at West Ham when we won 1-0.
The arrogant tosser IIRC left both Mascherano and Tevez out of the starting line-up which kinda helped.

Mascherano was dreadful for them and Tevez didn’t score until about March. If either manager had got the most out of them then their season would have been very different.

As you say, good managers get the best out of players and both of these Argentinians were fabulous when properly managed elsewhere.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2020 16:19

grey_squirrel
AthleticoSpizz and...apart from the obviouses

1987 away at Ipswich...a 1-1 draw (thanks Steve Richardson) guaranteeing our best EVER (back then) league finish.

Even left the ground (thanks to the locals ‘post-match loose-change donations’) a few quid richer than I arrived 8)

Remember it well. We were under attack the whole game and especially afterwards. We were penned (caged) in and there were hundreds of them pelting us with shrapnel from the pitch. Still, it didn't stop Mad Max on his last game for us wading through them all to applaud us at the end of the game.
Yeah :D and god help any tractor boy scrote that tried to stop him. Kev was exciting for us despite a few injuries, often overlooked in our laments...’Mad Max’ for a reason!

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 18 Apr 2020 19:23

grey_squirrel
AthleticoSpizz and...apart from the obviouses

1987 away at Ipswich...a 1-1 draw (thanks Steve Richardson) guaranteeing our best EVER (back then) league finish.

Even left the ground (thanks to the locals ‘post-match loose-change donations’) a few quid richer than I arrived 8)

Remember it well. We were under attack the whole game and especially afterwards. We were penned (caged) in and there were hundreds of them pelting us with shrapnel from the pitch. Still, it didn't stop Mad Max on his last game for us wading through them all to applaud us at the end of the game.

Yes remember it well they lined up in front of us and the police let them get on with it .

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2020 19:26

Lol....like Rourkes Drift (but we were like hamsters in a cage)

Henley Royal 1

by Henley Royal 1 » 18 Apr 2020 19:40

Best Performances Reading 4v0 Norwich 2006 Tranmere 1v3 Reading 1995 Reading 6v0 West Ham 2007 Best Comebacks Reading 4v3 Plymouth 1985 Reading 3v2 Middlesboro . Most satisfying result Oxford 1v5 Reading 1979 .Luckiest result Bournemouth 1v2 Reading 2001 .Unluckiest result Bolton 4v3 Reading 1995. Best goal Glen Little v Plymouth 2005.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Apr 2020 19:53

Best goal (and I know Ian will agree and hopefully post up the youtube link)), Jimmy Quinn v Wolves 3-0....you had to be in the Tilehurst Road end to appreciate it 8)

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 18 Apr 2020 23:23

Losing 0-3 at home to Plymouth in the big promotion game if i remember correctly. Only for Reading to turn the game upside down and totally dominate the second half and win 4-3, cue sheer scenes of disbeleif on the South Bank.... :D

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2020 01:01

Yup...we all acknowledge that one

What about something a little different :wink: ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Apr 2020 06:38

Crowbar6753 Losing 0-3 at home to Plymouth in the big promotion game if i remember correctly. Only for Reading to turn the game upside down and totally dominate the second half and win 4-3, cue sheer scenes of disbeleif on the South Bank.... :D

Interesting as, for those of us that were there, Plymouth dominated for over an hour. We only took over once Max had ‘earned’ a penalty and Plymouth folded. True, we dominated the last 20 minutes.
Once we’d scored the second there was only ever one winner.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Apr 2020 11:04

Henley Royal 1 Best Performances Reading 4v0 Norwich 2006 Tranmere 1v3 Reading 1995 Reading 6v0 West Ham 2007 Best Comebacks Reading 4v3 Plymouth 1985 Reading 3v2 Middlesboro . Most satisfying result Oxford 1v5 Reading 1979 .Luckiest result Bournemouth 1v2 Reading 2001 .Unluckiest result Bolton 4v3 Reading 1995. Best goal Glen Little v Plymouth 2005.

As an "expert" in games between Reading and Bournemouth I disagree about that away game.
I remember that we hammered them early on and could have had 4 or 5 although we may have had to hold on later.
The return fixture just under a month later at the Mad Stad was the "lucky" one.

In that game IIRC they led 3-1 with a small loanee playing up front (Defoe) and possibly another young loanee at the back (O'Shea).
That result deprived Bournemouth of a play-off place from Div 3 and the locals thought they had blown their best ever chance of promotion.
There were tears from the Bournemouth players and from our point of view the result didn't matter as we were already in the play-offs with that really exciting game v Wigan to come followed by the depressing day at Cardiff v Walsall.

Who would believe what would happen for both clubs over the next 15 years-2 clubs that historically had spent most of their time in Div 3?

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 20 Apr 2020 09:40

West Ham 2 Reading 4 - McDermott was NOT lucky, OK? (March 2012)
Plymouth 2 Reading 2 (March 2009)
Hull 1 Reading 1 - (March 2005) - Two draws away from home on days you felt we would get nothing. These were the golden years of Reading playing Away. Spoilt
Nottingham Forest 3 Reading 4 (April 2011) - They could have scored all evening and we still would have beaten them

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Apr 2020 10:22

Dr_Hfuhruhurr West Ham 2 Reading 4 - McDermott was NOT lucky, OK? (March 2012)
Plymouth 2 Reading 2 (March 2009)
Hull 1 Reading 1 - (March 2005) - Two draws away from home on days you felt we would get nothing. These were the golden years of Reading playing Away. Spoilt
Nottingham Forest 3 Reading 4 (April 2011) - They could have scored all evening and we still would have beaten them

In that Forest game Wes Morgan was one of the centre-backs for them and I remember my brother and I both thinking what a useless lump he was-amazingly just a few years later he ends up with a Premier League Champions medal.
Perhaps he was made to look bad not just by our forwards but having to play alongside a non-tackling hopeless Welsh right-back.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 20 Apr 2020 10:39

How on Earth did that turn into an insult at Gunter? And Why?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Apr 2020 11:09

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Nottingham Forest 3 Reading 4 (April 2011) - They could have scored all evening and we still would have beaten them

I was there 8)

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Apr 2020 11:28

I thought some of our 06/07 results and performances were fantastic. We battled so hard against teams far superior to us in terms of quality and won a lot of big games. The first game of the season against Middlesbrough springs to mind.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Apr 2020 12:38

3-1 win at home to Spurs and the 0-2 away win at Man City were fantastic.

The City game, we could have scored 5 or 6 and it wouldn't have been a shock.

+1 for the Forest game, I was also there and it was an incredible game.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 20 Apr 2020 18:27

Two stand out for me , beating Middlesborough 3-2 in our first ever Premiership game at the Mad Stad after being 2-0 down , and beating Southampton at their place on Friday April 13th 2012 to effectively clinch the Championship

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 20 Apr 2020 19:56

South Coast Royal
Henley Royal 1 Best Performances Reading 4v0 Norwich 2006 Tranmere 1v3 Reading 1995 Reading 6v0 West Ham 2007 Best Comebacks Reading 4v3 Plymouth 1985 Reading 3v2 Middlesboro . Most satisfying result Oxford 1v5 Reading 1979 .Luckiest result Bournemouth 1v2 Reading 2001 .Unluckiest result Bolton 4v3 Reading 1995. Best goal Glen Little v Plymouth 2005.

As an "expert" in games between Reading and Bournemouth I disagree about that away game.
I remember that we hammered them early on and could have had 4 or 5 although we may have had to hold on later.
The return fixture just under a month later at the Mad Stad was the "lucky" one.

In that game IIRC they led 3-1 with a small loanee playing up front (Defoe) and possibly another young loanee at the back (O'Shea).
That result deprived Bournemouth of a play-off place from Div 3 and the locals thought they had blown their best ever chance of promotion.
There were tears from the Bournemouth players and from our point of view the result didn't matter as we were already in the play-offs with that really exciting game v Wigan to come followed by the depressing day at Cardiff v Walsall.

Who would believe what would happen for both clubs over the next 15 years-2 clubs that historically had spent most of their time in Div 3?

I’d disagree re the Bmth 3-3. If we’d have lost we would have got them in the PO semis and they were on fire and would have done us. Murty made a fabulous goal line clearance in injury time to stop it being 3-4.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 20 Apr 2020 20:26

Dr_Hfuhruhurr How on Earth did that turn into an insult at Gunter? And Why?

We scored 4 away from home so he must have been responsible for some of the defending-I don't remember but he probably did his usual and stood watching with his hand in the air while we took them to pieces.
If you still went to a few games you might understand why he doesn't get chosen any more and why a new right-back was signed to play ahead of him (the decision by professionals, not me or I suppose you know better than the professionals).
O.K.?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Apr 2020 20:30

South Coast Royal
Dr_Hfuhruhurr How on Earth did that turn into an insult at Gunter? And Why?

We scored 4 away from home so he must have been responsible for some of the defending-I don't remember but he probably did his usual and stood watching with his hand in the air while we took them to pieces.
If you still went to a few games you might understand why he doesn't get chosen any more and why a new right-back was signed to play ahead of him (the decision by professionals, not me or I suppose you know better than the professionals).
O.K.?

Shakes head and walks away.