Re: Squad for 2020/21

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2020 12:59

Hound Dunno mate

Can you find out please x

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2020 14:01

Danny Loader is officially leaving the club next Tuesday.

Of the remaining out of contract players Ejaria is going to join permanently and I also think I’d expect to see Timbe and Obita offered terms and just maybe Adam but the rest I think will all be released or returned to their parent clubs.

Miazga and Pele would be good to keep but presume that this would be beyond the club financially unless they manage to sell others first.

I presume the transfer market itself will be very slow as no one has any money (except Chelsea after their transfer embargo) so if a player was rated at £5m last window he may only be valued at £3m this time so clubs may find themselves not doing much business until late in the window. It will also be interesting see what FIFA do about the window as some clubs I believe have asked for it to remain open throughout 20/21 to give them the possibility of some flexibility in cash flow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2020 14:14

Notts Royal
NewCorkSeth Think that we have a surprisingly unbalanced squad given the number of players we have.

However it all depends on formation I guess. We have a clear issue at LW having no players that naturally play there. The gap can be plugged rather easily by Ejaria, Olise, Puscas, Obita(if he stays) and, imo the most suited to play there, Baldock. Obviously I expect Barrow to leave..

Its quite hard to pick a priority signing but I am gonna go out on a limb here and say we need a DM. Rinomhota is the only midfielder we have who fits that bill and he is actually more of a box to box player. Araruna reportedly plays there but looked off pace centrally.

Luckily we have a lot of positions we look pretty strong in. At least when it comes to quality, not depth. Rafael, Yiadom, Moore, Morrison, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Joao, Puscas, Rinomhota and Olise are all good quality players for this level. Richards and McIntyre are not far off.

Sign Obita up, Look for a DM and try find a good value Left Winger and we have a strong squad with decent back up.

Very tempted to say Adam should be given another year. I ridiculed his signing, he cant last 90 minutes and he often is over eager in the challenge but he represents a good value back up in midfield.

Why do we have an issue at LW if our formation doesn’t rely on wingers? Our formation at the moment is narrow. Meite isn’t a winger - he’s an inside forward. Olise or Ejaria can play on the other side (both narrow players), and Rinomhota reinstated in midfield.

Agree I’d sigh Obita as a back-up option and maybe one other “winger” on the bench if Bowen wants to change formation and stretch the game as it progresses.

It’s probably unbalanced to play an inside forward on Meite on 1 side and a wider player like Obita on the other side, which was why I was surprised in Bowen’s line up last week

IMO we need an option to change shape if we're chasing a game and go more attacking.

Having the option to play two upfront and wingers is a help.

On top of that, even as is we don't really have anyone very suited to playing the left inside forward role you describe. Olise, Ejaria, Baldock and Obita are 'do a job' types and Obita is ooc.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jun 2020 14:50

Snowflake Royal
Notts Royal
NewCorkSeth Think that we have a surprisingly unbalanced squad given the number of players we have.

However it all depends on formation I guess. We have a clear issue at LW having no players that naturally play there. The gap can be plugged rather easily by Ejaria, Olise, Puscas, Obita(if he stays) and, imo the most suited to play there, Baldock. Obviously I expect Barrow to leave..

Its quite hard to pick a priority signing but I am gonna go out on a limb here and say we need a DM. Rinomhota is the only midfielder we have who fits that bill and he is actually more of a box to box player. Araruna reportedly plays there but looked off pace centrally.

Luckily we have a lot of positions we look pretty strong in. At least when it comes to quality, not depth. Rafael, Yiadom, Moore, Morrison, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Joao, Puscas, Rinomhota and Olise are all good quality players for this level. Richards and McIntyre are not far off.

Sign Obita up, Look for a DM and try find a good value Left Winger and we have a strong squad with decent back up.

Very tempted to say Adam should be given another year. I ridiculed his signing, he cant last 90 minutes and he often is over eager in the challenge but he represents a good value back up in midfield.

Why do we have an issue at LW if our formation doesn’t rely on wingers? Our formation at the moment is narrow. Meite isn’t a winger - he’s an inside forward. Olise or Ejaria can play on the other side (both narrow players), and Rinomhota reinstated in midfield.

Agree I’d sigh Obita as a back-up option and maybe one other “winger” on the bench if Bowen wants to change formation and stretch the game as it progresses.

It’s probably unbalanced to play an inside forward on Meite on 1 side and a wider player like Obita on the other side, which was why I was surprised in Bowen’s line up last week

IMO we need an option to change shape if we're chasing a game and go more attacking.

Having the option to play two upfront and wingers is a help.

On top of that, even as is we don't really have anyone very suited to playing the left inside forward role you describe. Olise, Ejaria, Baldock and Obita are 'do a job' types and Obita is ooc.

Agree with this. Think we need at least two out and out wingers in over the summer and probably 3 when you consider McCleary will be off.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 26 Jun 2020 15:02

Borthwick-Jackson just been released.Might come for £10k a week.This is the new reality for released Prem players.Better option than Obita;probably about the same wages.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jun 2020 15:11

Westwood52 Borthwick-Jackson just been released.Might come for £10k a week.This is the new reality for released Prem players.Better option than Obita;probably about the same wages.

Know his wage demands? Are you his agent?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 26 Jun 2020 15:36

I see that the club have offered Danny Loader a new long term contract (on the club website) and so at least that means that if anyone wants to sign him for next season we will be due compensation. Hopefully we can squeeze a significant sum out of a PL club.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2020 15:38

Old Man Andrews
Westwood52 Borthwick-Jackson just been released.Might come for £10k a week.This is the new reality for released Prem players.Better option than Obita;probably about the same wages.

I happen to know his agent. He is my sisters best friends parents gardeners former hairdressers parents 2nd cousin. 10k is about right.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 26 Jun 2020 16:42

Old Man Andrews

No .But I do represent the hyphen.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2020 17:00

Old Man Andrews

Isn’t he terrible or am I thinking of someone else?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jun 2020 17:01

Hound
Old Man Andrews

Isn’t he terrible or am I thinking of someone else?

Nope you're not, he's shite.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 26 Jun 2020 19:01

He didn't cut in the Championship on loan, went to League One and didn't cut it and has then gone on loan to League Two. Absolutely avoid, he's 23 so it's really unlikely that he's going to be Championship standard.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 27 Jun 2020 00:46

tidus_mi2 He didn't cut in the Championship on loan, went to League One and didn't cut it and has then gone on loan to League Two. Absolutely avoid, he's 23 so it's really unlikely that he's going to be Championship standard.

Aren't academy loanees meant to work their way up the leagues as they get older, not the other way round?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 27 Jun 2020 12:30

I think we need a low cost, experienced centre back to replace Miazga and another defence minded midfielder to provide cover as I'd get rid of Pele and Adam. Don't think Araruna is the right player (strange signing who could be shipped out).

I'd offer Obita another contract. With Teddy Howe gone we need a back up right back (Watson unlikely to be the answer).

I think Walker might leave making Southwood the number 2 keeper.

I'd also give McLeary a one year extension, but predominantly as a bench player as I think he's useful to bring on if defending a lead, but can also change the shape if we're chasing a game.

Somewhat controversially I wouldn't trigger the option on Ejaria. Yes he's very skillful, but I'd like to see much more quick and incisive passing from him. Against Stoke there were numerous occasions when he could have slipped in a first time pass but took 1,2,3 or more touches and we lost any momentum. I Know he's young but there's something missing and we have Olise now. If Olise hadn't broken through then I'd probably have wanted to keep him.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2020 13:52

The more I see of Puscas, the more he looks like a total dud.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Jun 2020 15:15

Sell Puscas and Walker, retain Obita and Masika, then the matchday squad for next season would be

Rafael
Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards
Ejaria
Rinomhota
Swift
Olise
Baldock
Joao

Subs

Southwood
Meite
Holsgrove
Masika
McIntyre
Araruna
Obita

Could do with another winger and striker to provide cover and give options.

If Aluko and Barrow could also be shipped out on loan then Reading might finally be getting on top of things

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2020 14:56

With all the rumours about player sales being needed, I'm not even going to guess next year's squad. Expect another season of struggle. At least we won't be the only ones in a difficult position.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jun 2020 15:03

Sutekh Sell Puscas and Walker, retain Obita and Masika, then the matchday squad for next season would be

Rafael
Yiadom
Morrison
Moore
Richards
Ejaria
Rinomhota
Swift
Olise
Baldock
Joao

Subs

Southwood
Meite
Holsgrove
Masika
McIntyre
Araruna
Obita

Could do with another winger and striker to provide cover and give options.

If Aluko and Barrow could also be shipped out on loan then Reading might finally be getting on top of things

Would have Barrow back involved if he was willing to play for us.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 30 Jun 2020 15:28

Barrow is very clearly our best option on the left. He contributed to ten goals last season which is more than any of our left midfield options have managed this season (Ejaria leading on seven).

Can only imagine he must be on much more than we can afford, although Gomes seemingly deciding not to use wingers didn’t help.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2020 18:42

There's three or four Brentford on one of ours Every. Single. Time.

And we give them 5 yards of space to receive the ball every time.

1016 posts