Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 08:47

Oh ffs. How the oxf*rd do we not have the money to sign Ejaria?? This is such bollocks.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 23 Jul 2020 08:56

We probably spent it extending boye and masika's loans

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 08:59

Getthebeerens A couple of quotes from Bowen that give me some hope for next season

“I came in with the job of rebuilding the club and the philosophy so I can't wait to get started next year to get my players in, my team together with maybe a stronger and different philosophy”

Maybe a hint that he will be signing the players and not taking the players Kia Joorabchian offers us.

“This club needs building. We have to make sure we recruit well in the summer and get a different attitude to things. I want to get a young vibrant side that is full of running, full of energy and show the fans that we can play a high-tempo game and take games to the opposition”

I also read that the Ejaria deal may be in doubt as we can’t offer the original wages we had promised. Personally if it means we are now trying to put some sort of wage structure in place rather than paying them what they want I can only see this as a good thing. Was it Atlanta in Serie A who are in the Champions League who have a cheaper wage bill than us.

He was pressed on Kia Joorabchian by Tim Dellor in which he was clear that it was him and Nigel Howe dealing with the transfers and when pressed further he said the owners have a lot of friends but they don't run the club or something along those lines. read into that what you will.
Ejaria in an ideal world would have been here next season but beggers cant be choosers. I think a lot of these players holding out for bigger wages are going to struggle to find clubs this year. the ones to watch out for are going o be the ones that still have parachute payments because they will have slightly more money to spend. all the clubs who have been away from the premiership for a few seasons seem to be the ones having trouble with FFP. could be a very visible divide next year.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 09:04

NewCorkSeth Oh ffs. How the oxf*rd do we not have the money to sign Ejaria?? This is such bollocks.

Well, funnily enough me and Ian made the point last week that releasing ooc players was nowhere near enough to resolve the financial issues and the general consensus was that it was us who were talking bollocks and that all we needed to do was release the ooc players, sell Swift and Moore and sign half a team on free transfers on a combined wage of no more than £50,000 a week.

To me, it's fcuking clear how we don't have the money to sign Ejaria. Bottom line, before youbeven begin to count other costs, wages alone are double our income and well over double, nearly triple what they need to be.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Jul 2020 09:14, edited 1 time in total.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:14

We should sell whoever we need to do to finalise Ejaria. Would be the biggest scandal not getting a player of that quality because we couldn’t muster a couple of mil. Absolute joke.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 09:17

CountryRoyal We should sell whoever we need to do to finalise Ejaria. Would be the biggest scandal not getting a player of that quality because we couldn’t muster a couple of mil. Absolute joke.

Absolutely the antithesis of how to run a football club responsibly and the sort of thinking that got us in this mess in the first place

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:23

From Despair To Where?
CountryRoyal We should sell whoever we need to do to finalise Ejaria. Would be the biggest scandal not getting a player of that quality because we couldn’t muster a couple of mil. Absolute joke.

Absolutely the antithesis of how to run a football club responsibly and the sort of thinking that got us in this mess in the first place

No. Paying stupid for terrible players is what got us into this mess in the first place. Take the hit and sell him at the end of the season and you’d triple your money at the very least. Buying old journeymen on big wages barely play and have no value is the problem, that and signing overpriced shite from Romania too.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 09:25

From Despair To Where?
NewCorkSeth Oh ffs. How the oxf*rd do we not have the money to sign Ejaria?? This is such bollocks.

Well, funnily enough me and Ian made the point last week that releasing ooc players was nowhere near enough to resolve the financial issues and the general consensus was that it was us who were talking bollocks and that all we needed to do was release the ooc players, sell Swift and Moore and sign half a team on free transfers on a combined wage of no more than £50,000 a week.

To me, it's fcuking clear how we don't have the money to sign Ejaria. Bottom line, before youbeven begin to count other costs, wages alone are double our income and well over double, nearly triple what they need to be.

Please explain how we spend 40 million a year on wages, are releasing Mannone, Gunter, Miazga, Obita, McCleary, Boye, Blackett, Masika, Adam, Pele, Barrow, Loader and Popa but don't have enough money to sign a player for 2.5 million plus wages?

Thats 13 players wages off our books leaving us with, what, 35 players including academy lads? How much do you think the above 13 were payed out of the 40 million?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 09:27

So we sell the family silver to buy an inconsistent marquee player who doesn't address the fundamental lack of consistency and fight in midfield?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jul 2020 09:28

I'd sell Swift to buy Ejaria all day long

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Jul 2020 09:28

CountryRoyal
From Despair To Where?

No. Paying stupid for terrible players is what got us into this mess in the first place. Take the hit and sell him at the end of the season and you’d triple your money at the very least. Buying old journeymen on big wages barely play and have no value is the problem, that and signing overpriced shite from Romania too.

The amount Liverpool are asking for Ejaria is similar to the amount we have allegedly been offered for Swift. It seems to be far from guaranteed that we would make a profit on Ejaria. He’s far from irreplaceable and given how much trouble we’ve had fitting him into the side, maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 09:30

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where?

Please explain how we spend 40 million a year on wages, are releasing Mannone, Gunter, Miazga, Obita, McCleary, Boye, Blackett, Masika, Adam, Pele, Barrow, Loader and Popa but don't have enough money to sign a player for 2.5 million plus wages?

Thats 13 players wages off our books leaving us with, what, 35 players including academy lads? How much do you think the above 13 were payed out of the 40 million?

It's fcuking simple. The wage bill was £30m a year, we got it down to £20m a year but it needs to be £12m a year on current revnue streams. Wages are still about 140% of income.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 09:31

From Despair To Where?
NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where?

It's fcuking simple. The wage bill was £30m a year, we got it down to £20m a year but it needs to be £12m a year on current revnue streams. Wages are still about 140% of income.

When did we get it down to 20 million a year?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 09:31

genome I'd sell Swift to buy Ejaria all day long

I'd sell Swift to buy Pele, not Ejaria.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:33

From Despair To Where?
genome I'd sell Swift to buy Ejaria all day long

I'd sell Swift to buy Pele, not Ejaria.

Well it doesn’t matter because we won’t get either and we will probably get relegated, sooner or later.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 09:33

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where?
NewCorkSeth Please explain how we spend 40 million a year on wages, are releasing Mannone, Gunter, Miazga, Obita, McCleary, Boye, Blackett, Masika, Adam, Pele, Barrow, Loader and Popa but don't have enough money to sign a player for 2.5 million plus wages?

When did we get it down to 20 million a year?

Don't know the exact figures and I used them more to illustrate the point but with wages peaking at 210% of income, the players leaving this summer, will bring that down to about 140% of income. That's still too much, especially when we are still losing £10-15m a season which is well above what FFP allows.

The figures in themselves are irrelevant, it's the wage bill as a percentage of income that tells us how unsustainable it all is. We've even "sold" £38m worth of assets to the owner, the bulk of which helped restrict loses to "only" £18m last season, and we're still deep in the shit.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Jul 2020 09:49, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 09:47

Ok so unless I am mistaken, and I might be, what you are saying is you think this is about right?

Squad for now - 30 million a year in wages
Rafael
Walker
Southwood
Yiadom
Watson
Moore
Morrison
McIntyre
Holmes
Osho
Richards
Araruna
Rinomhota
Swift
Aluko
Holsgrove
East
Meite
Olise
Joao
Puscas
McNulty
Baldock
Smith

Gone Or Going - 10 million a year in wages
Mannone
Gunter
Miazga
Obita
Blackett
Adam
Pele
Ejaria
McCleary
Popa
Barrow
Loader
Masika

Now we dont know how much of the wages included are staff and youth contracts, as well as bonuses and paying off sacked employees but, for me, it seems odd that the first 24 players earn triple what the second 13 players earn. The first list includes Southwood, Watson, McIntyre, Holmes, Osho, Richards, Holsgrove, East, Olise and Smith. 10 academy players who surely cant be earning mega bucks, at least not in comparison to the likes of McCleary, Gunter, Mannone and Miazga. In Fact I bet those 4 players earn more than the academy lads put together.

Then theres Barrow who we apparently got 1.5 million for. There is something not right about the released players only being 10 million a year combined. I know Rafael, Moore and Swift are likely to be our top earners but this still seems wrong to me.

Edit - Meant 30 million not 20 million.
Last edited by NewCorkSeth on 23 Jul 2020 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:50

The thing I don't understand about the Ejaria rumours is that it looked to be all agreed and we were obligated. I completely understand why we can no longer afford the wages we offered last summer (maybe we could never really afford them in the first place). But are we allowed to simply go back on it? Could we use some force majeure clause because of Covid?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:52

That’s an average of 15k a week for each of those players. Doesn’t seem that outrageous.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:52

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where?

https://footballleaguefc.com/reading-fc ... yer-wages/
according to above approx.
permanent players OOC £125675 P/W so £6535100 saved by releasing all of them.
Loan players being sent back (I assume we are paying approx. 50% of there wages accross them all as a mean and Massika is not on there and due to the club he has come from I have put him at about 10k. so there wages as a whole are £58500 if we are paying 50% £29250 P/W £1521000.

so a saving of £8056100 per year by not having those players on the books.

according to the sketchy website above we still have £177350 P/W without some accademy graduates so £9222220 PCY. so probably £10 million overall once you take everything else into consideration manager etc.

so effectively halved the wage bill overnight. the figure of £40 million was probably with the stupidly high transfer fees we have payed in previous years.
Brain hurts now.

1016 posts