Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by WestYorksRoyal » 23 Jul 2020 09:56

CountryRoyal That’s an average of 15k a week for each of those players. Doesn’t seem that outrageous.

£15k - £20k should be top end for Championship clubs without parachute payments. Maybe your best 4 or 5 players. The majority need to be on less, ideally with a similar number of academy players or very low wage punts at the other end of your squad to offset.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 09:58

CountryRoyal That’s an average of 15k a week for each of those players. Doesn’t seem that outrageous.

Sorry made an error. The 23 players are earning 30 million a year and the ones we released only 10 million a year. There is no way that can be true. It would mean the other 23 players are on an average of 25k a week.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 10:01

NewCorkSeth

Sorry made an error. The 23 players are earning 30 million a year and the ones we released only 10 million a year. There is no way that can be true. It would mean the other 23 players are on an average of 25k a week.

I did the calculations on the previous page for you.
Why did I bother FFS.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Jul 2020 10:04

CountryRoyal
From Despair To Where?
genome I'd sell Swift to buy Ejaria all day long

I'd sell Swift to buy Pele, not Ejaria.

Well it doesn’t matter because we won’t get either and we will probably get relegated, sooner or later.

Still think even if we sold most of the high earners and played academy products that they'd probably finish above Rotherham, Barnsley, Luton, Wycombe and a points-deducted Sheffield Wednesday

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 10:05

linkenholtroyal
NewCorkSeth

I did the calculations on the previous page for you.
Why did I bother FFS.

Sorry I missed that. Thank you x

Anyway, point stands even if that website is disputed by others on here. There is no way we are are not cutting our wage bill more than they assume.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 10:10

The accounts for 2018/19, the most recent available show the total wage bill for all employees at £40.7m.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/key-points-come-out-reading-18042631.amp

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 23 Jul 2020 10:12

WestYorksRoyal The thing I don't understand about the Ejaria rumours is that it looked to be all agreed and we were obligated. I completely understand why we can no longer afford the wages we offered last summer (maybe we could never really afford them in the first place). But are we allowed to simply go back on it? Could we use some force majeure clause because of Covid?

Yes, it sounds like Reading are trying to change the wage package being offered to Ejaria which is the deal breaker, though you would have thought this would have been agreed up front so is non negotiable?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 10:12

From Despair To Where? The accounts for 2018/19, the most recent available show the total wage bill for all employees at £40.7m.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/key-points-come-out-reading-18042631.amp

Yes and if the players we release are on an average of 15k a week then that means the rest of the team and staff are on an average of 25k a week. Thats not possible.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 10:16

That's the declared figures in the club accounts lodged with Companies House. I'd take that over any figure posted on a blog. And that doesnt include any of this season's recruits.

That accounts are downloadable for free. See for yourself.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 10:20

From Despair To Where? That's the declared figures in the club accounts lodged with Companies House. I'd take that over any figure posted on a blog.

That accounts are downloadable for free. See for yourself.

Where does the club accounts say that the 13 released players are on 10 million a year? I havent seen that anywhere but here, from you.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 10:24

Fair enough, I took figures from a blog and it actually came out at £7.5m so it's actually even worse than I portrayed when you consider the only genuinely verifiable figure we have is the £40.7m from last year's accounts.

Revenue for the same period including player sales was £18m. That includes a £3m loan fee for Aluko.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Jul 2020 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 10:27

From Despair To Where? Fair enough, I took figures from a blog and it actually came out at £7.5m sioit's actually even worsec
than I portrayed when you consider the verifiable wagebill for last season, without factoring this season's and and outs was £40.7m.

Revenue for the same period including player sales was £18m. That includes a £3m loan fee for Aluko.

Yeah thats the bit I dont believe. And im not attacking you about it, you could be correct. I just find it hard to believe that some of our, reportedly, highest earners leaving the club are only saving us such and insignificant amount. Its very suspicious.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 10:28

That's from a legal document logged with Companies House and HMRC. Its the one figure I would absolutely bank on being right. If that's not right, we're committing fraud.

Remember, that figure includes non playing staff. The directors are probably on £1m each but it all adds up as part of the club's wage bill.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 23 Jul 2020 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 10:34

From Despair To Where? The accounts for 2018/19, the most recent available show the total wage bill for all employees at £40.7m.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/key-points-come-out-reading-18042631.amp

We lost a lotof big earners that year on prem or stupid wages from the Thais time at the club.

Mcshane
Oshea
Ilori
Van Den Berg
Bacuna
Meyler
Edwards
Kelly
JDBV
there is probably 140k p/w in wages there.

we signed
Rafael
Morrison
Araruna
Puscas
Joao
Whos wages amount to about 60 k P/W

and we also had more expensive loan players in -
Martinez
Baker
Ejaria
Oliveira
Miazga
approx. 80-85k P/w

replaced them with cheaper options in-
Miazga
Ejaria
Boye
Gomes
Masika
approx. 55-60k p/w

we saved nearly 90k p/w last year in wages by the looks of it which is about £5 million per year. what we also have to take into account is that we have had to pay off managers quite frequently we sacked Clement that season and he probably had a couple of million pay off on a 3 year contract.

don't get me wrong we are not financially sound and we have to be fruggle this year with free transfers and loans to make the squad up probably totalling no more than 60k in wages overall including any contract extensions for academy players. we should be ok with FFP going forward though. we also lose Baldock and Aluko next season which is another 38k a week shame we cant offload them now. Aluko because it is Aluko and Baldock just because he is a high earner bit player, bit of the Mccleary situation love the guy but cant afford to pay his wages.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 10:37

linkenholtroyal

We lost a lotof big earners that year on prem or stupid wages from the Thais time at the club.

Mcshane
Oshea
Ilori
Van Den Berg
Bacuna
Meyler
Edwards
Kelly
JDBV

we signed
Rafael
Morrison
Araruna
Puscas
Joao

Martinez
Baker
Ejaria
Oliveira
Miazga
approx. 80-85k P/w

Miazga
Ejaria
Boye
Gomes
Masika
approx. 55-60k p/w

we saved nearly 90k p/w last year in wages by the looks of it which is about £5 million per year. what we also have to take into account is that we have had to pay off managers quite frequently we sacked Clement that season and he probably had a couple of million pay off on a 3 year contract.

don't get me wrong we are not financially sound and we have to be fruggle this year with free transfers and loans to make the squad up probably totalling no more than 60k in wages overall including any contract extensions for academy players. we should be ok with FFP going forward though. we also lose Baldock and Aluko next season which is another 38k a week shame we cant offload them now. Aluko because it is Aluko and Baldock just because he is a high earner bit player bit of the Mccleary situation love the guy but cant afford to pay his wages.

Stop deluding yourself. £90,000 a week is £4.5m off a £41m wage bill. Nowhere near enough when our wages were over double our income, we're losing £20m a year and revenues have dropped even further because of Covid.

So we lose another £150,000 a week this summer. Thats £7.5m which knocks it down to £30m in wages. That's still almost twice the income.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 23 Jul 2020 10:48

From Despair To Where? That's from a legal document logged with Companies House and HMRC. Its the one figure I would absolutely bank on being right. If that's not right, we're committing fraud.

Remember, that figure includes non playing staff. The directors are probably on £1m each but it all adds up as part of the club's wage bill.

Yeah as I said it includes payoffs for former staff as well. I just dont buy that those players were only on a combined 10 million. The blog post you read cant be reliable. They have to be on a bit more than that. Mannone was apparently our top earner when he joined for example. Miazga is a Chelski boy, even if we are only paying half his wage he is probably on 40k a week there.

If it is the case that they are only on that amount we need to sell the entire first team excluding our academy chaps.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 23 Jul 2020 10:50

From Despair To Where?
linkenholtroyal

Mcshane
Oshea
Ilori
Van Den Berg
Bacuna
Meyler
Edwards
Kelly
JDBV

we signed
Rafael
Morrison
Araruna
Puscas
Joao

Martinez
Baker
Ejaria
Oliveira
Miazga
approx. 80-85k P/w

Miazga
Ejaria
Boye
Gomes
Masika
approx. 55-60k p/w

don't get me wrong we are not financially sound and we have to be fruggle this year with free transfers and loans to make the squad up probably totalling no more than 60k in wages overall including any contract extensions for academy players. we should be ok with FFP going forward though. we also lose Baldock and Aluko next season which is another 38k a week shame we cant offload them now. Aluko because it is Aluko and Baldock just because he is a high earner bit player bit of the Mccleary situation love the guy but cant afford to pay his wages.

Stop deluding yourself. £90,000 a week is £4.5m off a £41m wage bill. Nowhere near enough when we're losing £20m a year and revenues have dropped even further because of Covid.

Your name really says it all. I would prefer to be optimistic we are now heading in the right direction financially and with Howe at the helm I believe we probably are.
I am not saying we are safe from FFP just that we should be once crowds get in etc. Also every club in the champ without parachute payments is in the same position we are going to be scouring a free transfer market full of players who have no club and will have to take the best offer they get. We are not the only ones.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 23 Jul 2020 10:57

By my reckoning we need as a bare minimum new:

1 Left Back
1 Centre Half
2 Midfield players
1 Winger

All those players will have to settle for not much more than £8k a week (although my fat thumb kept on hovering on £5k a week).A serious injury to any of that lot would then be a case of make do and mend,and see where we are in January.All five players would have to have the mentality of a Yiadom(physical,no nonsense winners;but probably short on finesse).Those five would roughly equate to the joint salaries of Macca and Gunter.
The savings would be made on Mannone,Moore and Swifts salaries circa £80k a week.Plus all the loan players wages;Poppa and Adam.Plus the £12k a week we pay Jordan.To offset this McIntyre,Osho ,Richards and Olise will be banging on the door for more money.If reports are to be believed McIntyre and Osho would get more money as plumbers or electricians.Cant remember what Rino is on.We won’t be paying Our reserve goalie the £4K a week we pay Walker.Alukho will again sit on his back side for a season.
Howe is going to be the key man on all this.Plus our scouts are going to have to find some real gems in the lower leagues and Championship clubs like us desperate to straiten the books.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 23 Jul 2020 12:17

linkenholtroyal
From Despair To Where?
linkenholtroyal

Mcshane
Oshea
Ilori
Van Den Berg
Bacuna
Meyler
Edwards
Kelly
JDBV

we signed
Rafael
Morrison
Araruna
Puscas
Joao

Martinez
Baker
Ejaria
Oliveira
Miazga
approx. 80-85k P/w

Miazga
Ejaria
Boye
Gomes
Masika
approx. 55-60k p/w

Stop deluding yourself. £90,000 a week is £4.5m off a £41m wage bill. Nowhere near enough when we're losing £20m a year and revenues have dropped even further because of Covid.

Your name really says it all. I would prefer to be optimistic we are now heading in the right direction financially and with Howe at the helm I believe we probably are.
I am not saying we are safe from FFP just that we should be once crowds get in etc. Also every club in the champ without parachute payments is in the same position we are going to be scouring a free transfer market full of players who have no club and will have to take the best offer they get. We are not the only ones.

I'm pretty sure that at the time, it was stated that Gomes' January loans cost next to nothing. Last summer was hardly an indication that we are heading in the right direction financially or we wouldn't be still having this discussion about "if we sell this player or that player...." Our dealings this window will tell us more about where we are but whilst we still have million pound players on half million pound revenue streams, we will still have a major issue.

The figures you quote are pure guesswork with no verifiable basis in fact The only verifiable figure is the one quoted in the last published accounts. Knock £10m (£200,000/wk) off that and it's still way too high. Just remember. £41m in wages alone. Loses of £18m despite selling the ground for £26m.

I'm naturally optimistic about what we do and generally have an "it will work out in the end" attitude but you can't ignore the bare verifiable facts of our position. I have faith that we will start steering the correct course as long as key people like Howe and Bowen are trusted to get on with their jobs but we have a long, long way to go and this isn't fixed in 1 or 2 windows.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 23 Jul 2020 12:36

I feel like Obita may end up accepted heavily reduced terms with us if offered, in the current climate I can't see him getting a better offer elsewhere and therefore being able to stay in familiar surroundings might appeal to him.

1016 posts