Squad for 2020/21

1016 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Squad for 2020/21

by andrew1957 » 25 Jun 2020 14:33

The current squad numbers 29 which Mark Bowen keeps referring to as a large squad. Clearly numbers have to fall.

I make it that of the 29 players in the current squad that 12 are out of contract at the end of the season as follows:
Loader,McCleary, Boye, Miazga, Ejaria, Gunter, Masika, Obita, Blackett, Gomes, Adam and Osho.

That would leave 17 as follows:
G-Cabral/Walker
RB-Yaidom/Watson
CB-Moore/Morrison/McIntyre
LB- Richards
CM-Swift, Rino/Araruna
Wide-Olise/Meite/Aluko
Attack-Jaoa/Puscas/Baldock

Of the players out of contract the majority have not made a huge impact in the 2019/20 season. Miazga and Gomes have done ok but neither are likely to be affordable. Blackett has refused to sign a new deal.

Of the rest I would hope that the deal for Ejaria can be finalised and that Osho as an up an coming prospect would remain. Realistically due to finance the only other player who I would like to see remain on a 12 month extension would be Obita. That would make a core squad of 20 for next season which would be more realistic financially in these tough times and would retain the bulk of the players who have made a significant input this season.

If we do end up selling any of our key players, then I think we would need one new addition for each departure to keep the squad around 20 with Under 23's like Holmes and Holsgrove hopefully then getting a chance.

The question is will this slimmed down squad be competitive? Thoughts?

bluerinse

Re: Squad for 2020/21

by bluerinse » 25 Jun 2020 14:39

you need to add Barrow and McNulty to your list

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jun 2020 14:44

bluerinse you need to add Barrow and McNulty to your list

There is also Smith too but I am assuming that all three will be offloaded if possible this summer. The club have already made it clear that neither Barrow or McNulty feature in their plans and I don't think Smith has shown enough to think he can make it at Championship level. Although he would be a relatively cheap back up striker for the remaining year of his contract if he does stay.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 25 Jun 2020 15:20

Manone and Popa are also leaving as they are out of contract.

Quite surprised to see Aluko in the squad which raises the question, of those who are not OOC which would you definitely keep and which would you look to sell/loan out?

Are there any areas (i.e. left back) where we need to strengthen (buy afresh, promote from the U23s or offer a contract to an existing player)?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2020 15:23

andrew1957
bluerinse you need to add Barrow and McNulty to your list

There is also Smith too but I am assuming that all three will be offloaded if possible this summer. The club have already made it clear that neither Barrow or McNulty feature in their plans and I don't think Smith has shown enough to think he can make it at Championship level. Although he would be a relatively cheap back up striker for the remaining year of his contract if he does stay.

If they're under contract we have to consider them because there's no guarantee we can shift them.

This is the starting point for what I'd want to see our squad as next season.

GK: Cabral, Southwood
RB: Yiadom, Araruna
LB: Richards, ?*
CB: Moore, McIntyre
CB: Morrison, ?**
DM: Rinomhota, ?
CM: Swift, ?
AM: Ejaria, Olise
RF/W: Meite, Holsgrove
LF/W: ?, ?
ST: Joao, Puscas ***

We probably need an extra striker, there's a few who we could probably sell high and replace ok.

* Obita is a sensible extension here for value
** might be ok with the Academy lads covering but feels a bit light
*** probably need a third striker, young and promising would make sense.

Some of the rest can still add value if we can't shift them, but would probably be worth moving on.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 25 Jun 2020 15:37

I think we need Obita to sign a new contract

Of the players you have listed

G-Cabral/Walker -Walker isn't good enough, I'd rather see Southwood as back up

RB-Yaidom/Watson - Jury is massively out on Watson

CB-Moore/Morrison/McIntyre - Hopefully Holmes or Osho will make the step up otherwise we look light

LB- Richards - definitely need backup hopefully Obita,will be that option

CM-Swift, Rino/Araruna - Ejaria is a done deal apparently.

Wide-Olise/Meite/Aluko - Aluko can bugger off. Would like to see more depth

Attack-Jaoa/Puscas/Baldock. I think we're OK here, especially with Meite as another option.

I think we will lean more on the loan market than permenant but I think we need a CB and full back cover and a DCM and a winger.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jun 2020 16:02

morganb Manone and Popa are also leaving as they are out of contract.

Quite surprised to see Aluko in the squad which raises the question, of those who are not OOC which would you definitely keep and which would you look to sell/loan out?

Are there any areas (i.e. left back) where we need to strengthen (buy afresh, promote from the U23s or offer a contract to an existing player)?

Mannone and Popa have gone at end of June. Aluko still has a year left. I am wondering if the plan is a loan swap deal and we keep Masika for the 20/21 season and lend Aluko back to Beijing Renhe for 20/21 - just a thought. As our fans have taken against Aluko at least Masika might be given a chance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Jun 2020 17:17

andrew1957
morganb Manone and Popa are also leaving as they are out of contract.

Mannone and Popa have gone at end of June. Aluko still has a year left. I am wondering if the plan is a loan swap deal and we keep Masika for the 20/21 season and lend Aluko back to Beijing Renhe for 20/21 - just a thought. As our fans have taken against Aluko at least Masika might be given a chance.

LOL like Aluko hasn't had plenty of opportunity.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 25 Jun 2020 17:43

andrew1957 The current squad numbers 29 which Mark Bowen keeps referring to as a large squad. Clearly numbers have to fall.

I make it that of the 29 players in the current squad that 12 are out of contract at the end of the season as follows:
Loader,McCleary, Boye, Miazga, Ejaria, Gunter, Masika, Obita, Blackett, Gomes, Adam and Osho.

That would leave 17 as follows:
G-Cabral/Walker
RB-Yaidom/Watson
CB-Moore/Morrison/McIntyre
LB- Richards
CM-Swift, Rino/Araruna
Wide-Olise/Meite/Aluko
Attack-Jaoa/Puscas/Baldock

Of the players out of contract the majority have not made a huge impact in the 2019/20 season. Miazga and Gomes have done ok but neither are likely to be affordable. Blackett has refused to sign a new deal.

Of the rest I would hope that the deal for Ejaria can be finalised and that Osho as an up an coming prospect would remain. Realistically due to finance the only other player who I would like to see remain on a 12 month extension would be Obita. That would make a core squad of 20 for next season which would be more realistic financially in these tough times and would retain the bulk of the players who have made a significant input this season.

If we do end up selling any of our key players, then I think we would need one new addition for each departure to keep the squad around 20 with Under 23's like Holmes and Holsgrove hopefully then getting a chance.

The question is will this slimmed down squad be competitive? Thoughts?

Football as we know it looks to be moving into a transitional period, what with social distancing, salary caps and FFP. Andrew 1957 i like this trimmed down squad and i love the idea of utilizing some of the academy prospects. Gone are the days of the football mercenaries and i'm sure the clubs with well run acamemies will benefit massivly.
I am excited to see the likes of Olise, Holmes, Osho and Holsgrove transition into the first team and with the right manager and coaching staff i'm sure we can still be competitive.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Jun 2020 22:43

I would want to see us with a squad of around 24. Anything less looks a little light to me especially when there have been times in recent years when we have had 7 or 8 out at times. So keep hold of about 20 and bring in some loanees.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2020 08:27

Think that we have a surprisingly unbalanced squad given the number of players we have.

However it all depends on formation I guess. We have a clear issue at LW having no players that naturally play there. The gap can be plugged rather easily by Ejaria, Olise, Puscas, Obita(if he stays) and, imo the most suited to play there, Baldock. Obviously I expect Barrow to leave..

Its quite hard to pick a priority signing but I am gonna go out on a limb here and say we need a DM. Rinomhota is the only midfielder we have who fits that bill and he is actually more of a box to box player. Araruna reportedly plays there but looked off pace centrally.

Luckily we have a lot of positions we look pretty strong in. At least when it comes to quality, not depth. Rafael, Yiadom, Moore, Morrison, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Joao, Puscas, Rinomhota and Olise are all good quality players for this level. Richards and McIntyre are not far off.

Sign Obita up, Look for a DM and try find a good value Left Winger and we have a strong squad with decent back up.

Very tempted to say Adam should be given another year. I ridiculed his signing, he cant last 90 minutes and he often is over eager in the challenge but he represents a good value back up in midfield.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2020 08:37

Wouldn’t be upset to see Adam stay. Hopefully Holsgrove can step up and be another midfield option

I’d be happy enough to see Osho hang around as cheap back up.

Just seeing who Sheff Weds have let go - there is going to be an awful lot of players on the market on a free - hopefully we’ll sensibly pick up a couple on short contracts in areas we need

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jun 2020 08:42

Nah Adam can go, would rather see youngsters coming in to sit on the bench who are on a lower wage.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2020 08:42

Hound Wouldn’t be upset to see Adam stay. Hopefully Holsgrove can step up and be another midfield option

Just seeing who Sheff Weds have let go - there is going to be an awful lot of players on the market on a free - hopefully we’ll sensibly pick up a couple on short contracts in areas we need

The Holsgrove situation has the similar feeling of Novakovich all over again. I'm no expert on him but isn't he a more attack minded midfielder? We have 3 of them already and can barely squeeze them into the same starting 11.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 26 Jun 2020 08:50

NewCorkSeth Think that we have a surprisingly unbalanced squad given the number of players we have.

However it all depends on formation I guess. We have a clear issue at LW having no players that naturally play there. The gap can be plugged rather easily by Ejaria, Olise, Puscas, Obita(if he stays) and, imo the most suited to play there, Baldock. Obviously I expect Barrow to leave..

Its quite hard to pick a priority signing but I am gonna go out on a limb here and say we need a DM. Rinomhota is the only midfielder we have who fits that bill and he is actually more of a box to box player. Araruna reportedly plays there but looked off pace centrally.

Luckily we have a lot of positions we look pretty strong in. At least when it comes to quality, not depth. Rafael, Yiadom, Moore, Morrison, Swift, Ejaria, Meite, Joao, Puscas, Rinomhota and Olise are all good quality players for this level. Richards and McIntyre are not far off.

Sign Obita up, Look for a DM and try find a good value Left Winger and we have a strong squad with decent back up.

Very tempted to say Adam should be given another year. I ridiculed his signing, he cant last 90 minutes and he often is over eager in the challenge but he represents a good value back up in midfield.

Why do we have an issue at LW if our formation doesn’t rely on wingers? Our formation at the moment is narrow. Meite isn’t a winger - he’s an inside forward. Olise or Ejaria can play on the other side (both narrow players), and Rinomhota reinstated in midfield.

Agree I’d sigh Obita as a back-up option and maybe one other “winger” on the bench if Bowen wants to change formation and stretch the game as it progresses.

It’s probably unbalanced to play an inside forward on Meite on 1 side and a wider player like Obita on the other side, which was why I was surprised in Bowen’s line up last week

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Jun 2020 09:32

I think it will be better to look at formations currently we play 1 of 2 from what I have seen recently and then fill in the gaps. best practice is to have 2 for each position.

first formation is kind of a 4-2DCM-2ACM-2CF very central and fullback popping up for crosses or ACm spreading wide to cross in. and traditionally in the DCM rolls we tend to be playing a good passer and a defence minded CM.
In this instance for next season we have contracted who have played first team football at a decent level.

GK Rafael, Walker, Southwood ETC
LB Richards, ??
RB Yiadom, Watson
CB Moore, Mcintyre
CB Morrison, ??
DCM Rinomhota, Aruruna
DCM (playmaker) Swift, ??
ACM Ejaria, Holsgrove
ACM Olise , Meite
CF Puscas, Baldock
CF Joao, Mcnulty, Smith etc

the other formation is a 4-2-3-1 which is how we tend to start games at the moment

in this instance
GK, Defence, DCM
ACM Olise, Holsgrove, Ejaria
LW Barrow, ??
RW Meite, ??
CF Puscas, Joao, Baldock Mcnulty etc

so in the gaps
LB Obita would be perfect and would not command a fee
CB could be covered by youth but maybe a free agent as cover someone a bit seasoned like Morrison.
RB I know there is Watson and Aruruna can cover but some lower league up and coming or a dependable free agent a bit like when we signed Bridge can still do a job but is towards the end of there career. Ideally I would keep Gunter but I know he has other admirers and is on decent wages,
DCM Playmaker honestly I would just sign Adams for another season he has been dependable when called upon and is of the age where he is happy to play second fiddle to Swift.
LW/RW to be honest this would be where I would spend the money on a player that can play down either side and can cross Mccleary 7 years ago. Sergi Canos from Brentford springs to mind as he has dropped down the pecking order there. or Oliver Burke who has disappeared into obscurity at West Brom and has been on loan at Alaves all season. and I would keep Massika or Boye whichever one is the best option.

other areas I dont think we need to worry about and with what we are losing this summer we will take about a third off the wage bill in Popa, Mccleary, Mannone, Gunter etc I know Aluko still needs to be got rid of but financially we will be in a much better state with a slimline squad.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2020 11:10

Notts Royal
NewCorkSeth Think that we have a surprisingly unbalanced squad given the number of players we have.

Why do we have an issue at LW if our formation doesn’t rely on wingers? Our formation at the moment is narrow. Meite isn’t a winger - he’s an inside forward. Olise or Ejaria can play on the other side (both narrow players), and Rinomhota reinstated in midfield.

Agree I’d sigh Obita as a back-up option and maybe one other “winger” on the bench if Bowen wants to change formation and stretch the game as it progresses.

It’s probably unbalanced to play an inside forward on Meite on 1 side and a wider player like Obita on the other side, which was why I was surprised in Bowen’s line up last week

Because in every formation you need the ability to shift the ball out wide. Meite may play as a hybrid Inside Forward but he is also our aerial outlet so will spend a lot of time closer to the touchline than 9s traditional.

I'm not saying all formations should be symmetrical but playing one of Olise/Ejaria out left makes it very obvious where our goal kicks will go and very obvious how we will play. The reason Obita/Richards have been selected there is Bowen recognised the need for a wide threat other than our full backs. Meite is our biggest threat in the air so we need someone on the left who can actually cross. First time if possible.

The reason I think Baldock suits us best out wide left atm is he offers a work rate which allows our LB to creep further up the pitch. If we had a proper winger with a left foot we wouldn't have to rely on moments of magic from Swift and Ejaria all the time.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2020 11:51

NewCorkSeth
Hound Wouldn’t be upset to see Adam stay. Hopefully Holsgrove can step up and be another midfield option

The Holsgrove situation has the similar feeling of Novakovich all over again. I'm no expert on him but isn't he a more attack minded midfielder? We have 3 of them already and can barely squeeze them into the same starting 11.

Tbh not bigging him up massively but he did look half decent in the pre season. Obvs it’s a big step up to the first 11

Bowen’s latest comments ‘if the right offers come in’ suggest that if someone does want Swift he’ll be on his way

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 26 Jun 2020 12:28

Hound
NewCorkSeth

Tbh not bigging him up massively but he did look half decent in the pre season. Obvs it’s a big step up to the first 11

Bowen’s latest comments ‘if the right offers come in’ suggest that if someone does want Swift he’ll be on his way

Is that the right offer for the club or the right offer for the owners? Because they seem to be very different amounts.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jun 2020 12:35

Dunno mate

1016 posts