MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by end of season apathy

255 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Brentford (h) sponsored by end of season apathy

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2020 19:59

mad79 Surprise those cardboard cut out haven’t got up and left watching this shite

I think we’d pay good money if that could be arranged....

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 30 Jun 2020 19:59

Zip We probably need two or three points to be safe so I would take a point in Saturday. We must be more defensively set up so Pele has to start as does Rinomhota.
I have to question what O’Shea is doing because we are easy pickings at corners.
A woeful performance. Very much in keeping with the bad days of recent years.

Against Luton we're certainly in the "must not lose" rather than "must win"

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 30 Jun 2020 19:59

Pretty poor all round. Rino decent in spells, as were Morro, Olise, Rafael and Adam

Pretty woeful from the rest of them though. In fact some pretty rancid performers when we needed them to step up

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2020 20:01

Hound
Jagermesiter1871 Didn't think Brentford were anything particularly special. We were just absolutely horrendous. Barely got out of our own half mainly down to our own incompetence. These twats are already on the beach in Dubai.

They’ve come off wins against Fulham and WBA and completely owned this game

They are clearly a quality side. We certainly made it easy for them though

Agreed. They are a good side but the one paced slow tempo relaxed nothing to worry about tripe that Reading played throughout hardly presented any sort of challenge.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jun 2020 20:02

retro royal
sandman
Royal_jimmy
Do you trust Bowen with a new team? I think Bowen has shown himself up to be a clueless manager to be honest.

If Bowen is clueless I don't know what most of the managers we've had in recent years would be described as.

Not proven managers, Stam (never managed) Clement (poor previously) Gomes (Not exactly successful anywhere) Bowen (DOF) Yes they all know football but we have an unbalanced squad and need someone to to sort out this squad top to bottom, thank god a lot of dead wood leave this summer

That's such a clear and obvious piece of analysis of our problem in recent years. We need a manager with experience and one who's had some success at this level.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 30 Jun 2020 20:04

Hound Adam has played pretty well

Just been outclassed today by a very good side tbh

Can’t help but be jealous of what Brentford have built

Brentford are a great side and I hope they go up. But it's no excuse for today. Our performance was poor.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Jun 2020 20:04

tidus_mi2
Zip We probably need two or three points to be safe so I would take a point in Saturday. We must be more defensively set up so Pele has to start as does Rinomhota.
I have to question what O’Shea is doing because we are easy pickings at corners.
A woeful performance. Very much in keeping with the bad days of recent years.

Against Luton we're certainly in the "must not lose" rather than "must win"

Yep very much so. A point is fine.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2020 20:05

Royal_jimmy
retro royal
sandman
If Bowen is clueless I don't know what most of the managers we've had in recent years would be described as.

Not proven managers, Stam (never managed) Clement (poor previously) Gomes (Not exactly successful anywhere) Bowen (DOF) Yes they all know football but we have an unbalanced squad and need someone to to sort out this squad top to bottom, thank god a lot of dead wood leave this summer

That's such a clear and obvious piece of analysis of our problem in recent years. We need a manager with experience and one who's had some success at this level.

Personally been hoping for Hughton ever since Adkins got the push.

Bristol Paul

by Bristol Paul » 30 Jun 2020 20:06

Royal_jimmy
Hound Adam has played pretty well

Just been outclassed today by a very good side tbh

Can’t help but be jealous of what Brentford have built

Brentford are a great side and I hope they go up. But it's no excuse for today. Our performance was poor.

Brentford are class.. The earlier poster who said they are nothing special clearly needs new specs. Our performance was shocking though and Bowen picked the wrong team yet again. No pressure on Brentford, and I’m seriously worried about Ejaria who just slows things down with zero end product.

yuomi

by yuomi » 30 Jun 2020 20:08

Brentford are every inch a premier league side, but that was pitiful from us.

Bowen wasn't helped by a team that looks like they couldn't give the slightest toss, but he got everything wrong tonight. There HAS to be a Plan B w/out Joao fit and it CANNOT be 1 up front because we simply don't have anyone who can do that. No-one expected anything from tonight, but i'd much rather have seen him try something ANYTHING other than sticking with what we've known all season doesn't work.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2020 20:10

Thought Brentford looked really good. Not PL good, they'd get massively found out, but a really well drilled, slick, confident and positive side. Bags of pace and desire.

We looked exactly what we are in comparison, disorganised, confused, slow and mediocre.

That game was crying out for a solid base of Rino and Pele to cope with Brentford's incisive passing and running at us. Instead they ran through us at will at times. They always had acres of space around them and to run into. By contrast they made their own defensive third tiny, packed it with players closed us down and hunted in packs.

Cabral - 7 some cracking saves, but didn't do brilliantly with the second or third IMO. Mind you, Moore and Morrison were completely awol for the first and second and we were wide open for the third.
Gunter - 5 gave Brentford all the space they could dream of down the right.
Obita - 5 caught up the pitch endlessly, I guess not always his fault his teammates lost the ball in midfield to create a break.
Moore - 4 all over the place, defence an absolute shambles.
Morrison - 6 loads of good blocks, but with that defensive shambles I can't give anyone more than a six
Rinomhota - 8 MotM gut busting runs forward, shielding the defence. One of the few to really go for it.
Swift - 5 off his game. Poor set pieces, turned into trouble multiple times, didn't move the ball around quick enough, lame shots
Olise - 6 started very well but faded a bit with a few loose balls and then once Brentford were firmly in control couldn't do a lot
Ejaria - 5 plays the game at walking pace. Couple of moments of magic but they never really looked like goals and his touch was otherwise poor. gave the ball away a lot.
Meite - 6 hustle but very little else today. not his day
Baldock - 5 started well but disappeared once Brentford took control

McCleary - 6 didn't really do a lot, some crosses
Puscas - 5 regular terrible first touch Puscas is back, unlucky with the ball from Ejaria, seemed to be fired into behind his standing leg
Adam - 6 some nicely zipped passes forward and wide. And then just as many randomly passed straight back when he could have looked forward.

Think 3-0 flattered Brentford a touch.

Disappointing, though I've seen us play far worse. We just look like we were a middle table team playing for nothing against a side right up there for promotion in front of an empty stadium. Which is exactly what it was. Not one I'll lose much sleep over, but my patience with Ejaria wears ever thinner.

Talk of Bowen being under pressure is ridiculous. He's moved us up the table, despite having to contend with Gomes awful start, little business in Janaury, oxf*rd finances and a mess of a squad. That, is mission accomplished. Few points against Luton and co down the bottom and we're laughing until we have to deal with the bullshit of trying to go into another season. Lots of pants wetters out in force tonight though I expect.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Jun 2020 20:16

I predicted 3-0 and they did not let me down. Outplayed outclassed outthought outmuscled. Nothing to do with lockdown we were crap before, and now we are even worse. Bowen gave himself the job after being assistant to a crap manager now he can do us a favour and sack himself.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 30 Jun 2020 20:17

Love to see the Brentford wage bill compared to ours, a very good side has been built there. it can be done.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 30 Jun 2020 20:19

yuomi Brentford are every inch a premier league side, but that was pitiful from us.

Bowen wasn't helped by a team that looks like they couldn't give the slightest toss, but he got everything wrong tonight. There HAS to be a Plan B w/out Joao fit and it CANNOT be 1 up front because we simply don't have anyone who can do that.

If you have poor players with poor attitudes, you'll always struggle. It doesn't matter who the manager is.

Our recruitment has been terrible for years, and this is where it's left us. It doesn't matter how many times you change the manager, crap players are not suddenly going to become good. Until we start bringing players who are coming here because they want to play, rather than because we pay stupid wages, we'll carry on being poor.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jun 2020 20:19

windermereROYAL Love to see the Brentford wage bill compared to ours, a very good side has been built there. it can be done.

It's probably very high.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Jun 2020 20:22

We were shit.

Players don't give a f**k.

Let's not try to overanalyse this beyond the above.

Thanks.

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 30 Jun 2020 20:25

Royal_jimmy
retro royal
sandman

But Colin’s gone to Middlesbrough

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 30 Jun 2020 20:26

I want to be measured and reasonable after getting beaten by a good team who are third in the league. But FFS, we didn't even make it hard for them. We didn't make them prove why they're up there.

I'm sick of supporting a team who are easy to play against. I'm sick of supporting a club defined by management turnover, erratic recruitment and instability. I'm fed up of soft goals, dire football and relegation battles. I'm fed up of false dawns. Let's be honest, it's all we've known for the past 6 years or so now.

Has Bowen done a decent job? Considering what a mess the club is, I'd say yes. But I really wouldn't be averse to having an enormous clearout of this squad and rebuild.

In the 00s, that draw against Brentford was pivotal for both clubs, and they probably looked on in envy at our success for several years. Well the roles are reversed now. I wish we could be run like Brentford. I wish we could scout and coach well and send our players on for millions. I wish we could consistently play exciting football at the right end of the table. They're an excellently run club; we're shit.

Torbay Royal

by Torbay Royal » 30 Jun 2020 20:33

I think the players are coasting to the end of the season.

From the restart, we had no realistic chance of making the playoffs and probably no likelihood of going down. The players also knew this and with no crowd to "get into them" at times, it means they're having an easy ride.

MB seems stubborn and unwilling to experiment but with nothing to play for, this is exactly the time to try different formations or try two up front.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Jun 2020 20:35

WestYorksRoyal I want to be measured and reasonable after getting beaten by a good team who are third in the league. But FFS, we didn't even make it hard for them. We didn't make them prove why they're up there.

I'm sick of supporting a team who are easy to play against. I'm sick of supporting a club defined by management turnover, erratic recruitment and instability. I'm fed up of soft goals, dire football and relegation battles. I'm fed up of false dawns. Let's be honest, it's all we've known for the past 6 years or so now.

Has Bowen done a decent job? Considering what a mess the club is, I'd say yes. But I really wouldn't be averse to having an enormous clearout of this squad and rebuild.

In the 00s, that draw against Brentford was pivotal for both clubs, and they probably looked on in envy at our success for several years. Well the roles are reversed now. I wish we could be run like Brentford. I wish we could scout and coach well and send our players on for millions. I wish we could consistently play exciting football at the right end of the table. They're an excellently run club; we're shit.

BUT......if your having a huge clear out and bring in a couple of players do you trust the man in charge (who may well have had a say on those players coming in and partially responsible for this squad.....OR.....Do you bring in a manager who has experience, a track record, and let him work out this mess and let him build.....or do we just carry on with the same old bullsh+t and let John o Shea be the next man in charge if it goes t*ts up next season... (nightmare scenario)

255 posts