BFIFollow Brentford

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFIFollow Brentford

by Snowflake Royal » 01 Jul 2020 19:25

Hound
Notts Royal
Lower West Ejaria slows the game down. Short passess, no shots, few crosses. Beginning to wonder what contribution he actually makes to the team.

He does fancy tricks which look great on YouTube, and had a good couple of months at the start of the season...so our fans love him. So what does he contribute? Reputation

Didnt he hit the post on Saturday, and basically create our best proper chance yesterday?

He isnt on great form but lets not rewrite what he can actually do

That's the point though isn't it. Occasional flashes of brilliance, but the ball doesn't actually go in does it.

3 goals (all by early November) and 4 assists in 35 appearances isn't really good enough for your talismanic creative outlet.

He's skillful enough you'd expect at least close to double figures of assists or goals. And I'd say Olise's volley was the best chance we had, rather than the pass into traffic that went behind Puscas.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 02 Jul 2020 07:18

I don't get this recent switch of opinion on Ejaria so many seem to be having. He's brilliant, he pulls players out of the game, beats players and creates spaces because the opposition know his danger. Personally I'd be putting more responsibility on the other players to use those spaces that he creates better.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 07:22

10539.4 Miles Away I don't get this recent switch of opinion on Ejaria so many seem to be having. He's brilliant, he pulls players out of the game, beats players and creates spaces because the opposition know his danger. Personally I'd be putting more responsibility on the other players to use those spaces that he creates better.

Does he create space though?
Look at his two best moments from the last two games. Runs into a crowded box goes round a couple of players at the byline and shoots / passes into a space densely packed with players.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 02 Jul 2020 07:37

Just sat through the ten minute extended highlights to have another look at his two chances and neither of them are on there. Was 2am at the time when I was watching so I might be way off track mate, my hazy memory of it is it was a good run that drew players away and Brentford had stacked the box but we hadnt. Compare that to their attacking play where the loose balls always seemed to find their man.

Either way, the flashes of Ejaria brilliance are the main reason I'll still endure the remaining games this year.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jul 2020 07:49

paultheroyal Absolutely shambolic. Such a turgid display. Nothing else on that needs to be said.

What I would say though is, if that was a half packed Madjeski they would get roundly booed. The players would come out and moan about fans and demand support. They have no excuses or to blame anyone else but themselves for how shit they were.

A very good point. I’ve been fed up with Moore for a while now - not captain material, not good enough to earn a place in the starting lineup. Squad overhaul required starting with him methinks

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Jul 2020 07:51

John Smith
paultheroyal Absolutely shambolic. Such a turgid display. Nothing else on that needs to be said.

What I would say though is, if that was a half packed Madjeski they would get roundly booed. The players would come out and moan about fans and demand support. They have no excuses or to blame anyone else but themselves for how shit they were.

A very good point. I’ve been fed up with Moore for a while now - not captain material, not good enough to earn a place in the starting lineup. Squad overhaul required starting with him methinks

Does Liam Moore go at the end of the season?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 02 Jul 2020 08:45

Old Man Andrews Does Liam Moore go at the end of the season?

If it were up to me then yes. To think we could have had £12m for him a couple of years ago too

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jul 2020 10:03

Can't be arsed rating players for that pile of excrement.

One major observation though - we don't press. And that has to be a strategy. At Derby the commentary team tried to make out we just weren't pressing certain players, but I think that was just coincidence. We defend zones, and we defend at walking pace. It was far too easy for Brentford.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 10:12

Sanguine Can't be arsed rating players for that pile of excrement.

One major observation though - we don't press. And that has to be a strategy. At Derby the commentary team tried to make out we just weren't pressing certain players, but I think that was just coincidence. We defend zones, and we defend at walking pace. It was far too easy for Brentford.

I’ve rarely seen us press for a number of years now. Factor in our lack of movement and the overall lack of workrate is simply not good enough.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 10:31

Zip

I’ve rarely seen us press for a number of years now. Factor in our lack of movement and the overall lack of workrate is simply not good enough.

Pressing isnt always the answer tbh. Its become the latest 'trendy' thing that you should always press. We actually played pretty well against the likes of Fulham by employing a low block and not giving the space behind that pressing frees up

Its another of Dellor's boring wittering about how we should press constantly and almost threw something at the screen when he started pleading with the Brentford keeper to play it short like it would inevitably lead to a chance for us

I found their second goal a case in point. We actually pushed right up from their goal kick, and the keeper just chipped it up over our front 3, they won the first ball and they were right on the edge of our area. They completely out thought us on it.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Jul 2020 10:35

Hound
Zip

Pressing isnt always the answer tbh. Its become the latest 'trendy' thing that you should always press. We actually played pretty well against the likes of Fulham by employing a low block and not giving the space behind that pressing frees up

Its another of Dellor's boring wittering about how we should press constantly and almost threw something at the screen when he started pleading with the Brentford keeper to play it short like it would inevitably lead to a chance for us

I found their second goal a case in point. We actually pushed right up from their goal kick, and the keeper just chipped it up over our front 3, they won the first ball and they were right on the edge of our area. They completely out thought us on it.

Winds me up as well at games when you always hear the vocal fans yelling "CLOSE HIM DOWN FOR oxf*rd SAKE" or something to that end. Like no, they're keeping their shape. If fans had their way the players would chase everything down like headless chickens and be exhausted after 15 minutes.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 10:35

yep exactly that

I think its Pep at Man City where the tactic is to try and win the ball back within 6 seconds or else they just fall back into shape

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 10:37

Hound
Zip

I’m struggling to remember the build up to their second goal but what annoyed me was the amount of time their players had on the ball. See Derby too re Wisdom. In start contrast Brentford regularly had two or three players surrounding our player in possession. Often our player had no options because movement was non existent. I’m struggling to understand what Bowen is trying to achieve. What actually is our style of play?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 10:39

tidus_mi2
Hound
Zip

Winds me up as well at games when you always hear the vocal fans yelling "CLOSE HIM DOWN FOR oxf*rd SAKE" or something to that end. Like no, they're keeping their shape. If fans had their way the players would chase everything down like headless chickens and be exhausted after 15 minutes.

The trouble is that we often don’t keep our shape. A simple ball into our box and we are all over the place. Derby a case in point.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 10:40

Zip
Hound
Zip

I’m struggling to remember the build up to their second goal but what annoyed me was the amount of time their players had on the ball. See Derby too re Wisdom. In start contrast Brentford regularly had two or three players surrounding our player in possession. Often our player had no options because movement was non existent. I’m struggling to understand what Bowen is trying to achieve. What actually is our style of play?

Their players had loads of time on the ball because they had created a huge amount of space by getting us to push 3 forwards up to the edge of the area to stop them playing short on that goal. It was clever

Agree on the style of play though. I think at times you can see what he is trying to do, but losing Joao seems to have completely made us lose what we are trying to do. And Brentford were just too good for us.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 10:46

Hound
Zip
Hound

Their players had loads of time on the ball because they had created a huge amount of space by getting us to push 3 forwards up to the edge of the area to stop them playing short on that goal. It was clever

Agree on the style of play though. I think at times you can see what he is trying to do, but losing Joao seems to have completely made us lose what we are trying to do. And Brentford were just too good for us.

Brentford were excellent and everything we should aspire to. They made a huge profit in 2018/19. We made a huge loss.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jul 2020 10:53

Brentford press.

And they also keep their shape. That's what successful pressing is - blocks of defenders working as a unit to close down space and make passing avenues narrow.

But yeah, I guess there are different ways to play. I know three season ticket holders who have taken the refund for their remaining ST this season and won't be renewing for next (whether that is in September or January).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jul 2020 11:01

Zip
Hound
Zip

It's got very little to do with Bowen. It was the same under Gomes, Clement and Stam. The players just do a poor job.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2020 11:22

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound

It's got very little to do with Bowen. It was the same under Gomes, Clement and Stam. The players just do a poor job.

It’s got everything to do with Bowen. He’s got to motivate them and also get them to believe in the system he wants them to work with. There have been a lot of incomings since Stam. Yet the problems persist. It’s both management and players at fault.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jul 2020 11:25

Snowflake Royal
Zip
Hound

tbf to Stam, we knew what his style and game plan was. He implemented things how he wanted, the players bought into it (if not nec the fans), and arguably thats what made us relatively successful in season 1