Bowen's Tenure

202 posts
tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bowen's Tenure

by tmesis » 28 Jul 2020 21:50

Whoever we have in the job next season, if the playing staff has the kind of cull that, at the moment, is looking likely, staying up will be an achievement.

Despite that, I suspect that if we struggle, people will say it's down to Bowen.

Personally I think he's done 'OK'. He's not excelled, but why would anyone expect him to given the problems at the club? If we sack him, we won't having good managers queuing up for the job. We aren't an attractive prospect any more. We might appeal to an ambitious manager at limited League One or Two club. We might appeal to a manager looking for a first club, but why would any manager with a half-decent track record want to come here?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Jul 2020 00:43

It’s all going to be ok. We’ve just signed Josh Laurent, an unproven 25yr old in a position where we are well stocked with first teamers and academy prospects.

On a serious note; yes I think people will be quick to point the blame if we aren’t competing at least mid table next season, which will be crazy considering the poor starts of the past couple of years.

It’s going to be an interesting month or so but by September I do hope fans set some realistic expectations if all we are seeking is ‘young and hungry’ :lol: I’ll say it a millions times, you need a couple of players with some real proven quality to be up in the playoffs these days. Our retained players haven’t proven anything yet, it’s such an important window for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 08:03

Why do people think we're well stocked in midfield?

We've got a plethora of airy fairy attacking midfielders and one guy who can put a shift in. We play 3 in midfield. How is Rinomhota, Swift (likely to be sold) Olise and Holsgrove well stocked? Oh, and Araruna, a guy whose played one game there, looked out of his depth and then never been seen again.

We've literally just finished the season playing centrebacks in midfield.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2020 08:18

Snowflake Royal Why do people think we're well stocked in midfield?

We've got a plethora of airy fairy attacking midfielders and one guy who can put a shift in. We play 3 in midfield. How is Rinomhota, Swift (likely to be sold) Olise and Holsgrove well stocked? Oh, and Araruna, a guy whose played one game there, looked out of his depth and then never been seen again.

You forgot the creme de la creme. Aluko.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 08:47

South Coast Royal I have always been intrigued by the view that having a manager and giving him time is the way forward especially seeing what has happened at clubs like Watford (unstable) getting relegated and Bournemouth (stable) getting relegated.

I thought it worthwhile to check the most successful sides in this year's Championship, i.e .the top 6 and although some of the numbers are skewed because of temporary manager appointments the general picture is mildly interesting.-
In the past 10 years these are the numbers:-

Leeds 15 managers
WBA 14
Brentford 7 (a bit unclear there but this one is approximate)
Fulham 10
Cardiff 9
Swansea 12

Over the same period Reading have had 8 permanent managers so is there an argument to say that we should have sacked more on the basis that one day Rodney etc.? :wink:

I don't know about Bowen who has been a no.2 for most of his post-playing career.
The defence is generally more sound if we forget the most recent game when our full-backs were at times Gunter and Blackett on the same pitch .
If the plan is to build a team from the back then we could say that stage one has been completed but the attacking side of the game really does need a massive improvement.

Is Bowen the man?-I have no idea, but the principle of keeping rather than sacking coaches may not bring the success that we yearn for if the record for this season in the Championship is anything to go by.
The key obviously is appointing the right man (or woman) at the right time and Reading, like all other clubs, just doesn't have that crystal ball.

Very interesting post, thank you.

As you rightly say keep sacking managers costs a lot of money and never gives anyone time to make their mark but also simply giving one man time doesn’t mean it will be ok in the end. How long do you keep throwing good money after bad? How do you weigh up the giving one man time Vs realising someone isn’t the right man and making the change

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 08:51

WestYorksRoyal
South Coast Royal I have always been intrigued by the view that having a manager and giving him time is the way forward especially seeing what has happened at clubs like Watford (unstable) getting relegated and Bournemouth (stable) getting relegated.

I thought it worthwhile to check the most successful sides in this year's Championship, i.e .the top 6 and although some of the numbers are skewed because of temporary manager appointments the general picture is mildly interesting.-
In the past 10 years these are the numbers:-

Leeds 15 managers
WBA 14
Brentford 7 (a bit unclear there but this one is approximate)
Fulham 10
Cardiff 9
Swansea 12

Over the same period Reading have had 8 permanent managers so is there an argument to say that we should have sacked more on the basis that one day Rodney etc.? :wink:

I don't know about Bowen who has been a no.2 for most of his post-playing career.
The defence is generally more sound if we forget the most recent game when our full-backs were at times Gunter and Blackett on the same pitch .
If the plan is to build a team from the back then we could say that stage one has been completed but the attacking side of the game really does need a massive improvement.

Is Bowen the man?-I have no idea, but the principle of keeping rather than sacking coaches may not bring the success that we yearn for if the record for this season in the Championship is anything to go by.
The key obviously is appointing the right man (or woman) at the right time and Reading, like all other clubs, just doesn't have that crystal ball.

I'd probably compare our own history. 2002 - 2013, we had 4 managers, 3 of whom had long tenures. Won promotion from League 1, had 3 seasons in PL and consistently pushed for promotion when in the Championship.

2013 - 2020; 7 managers and generally shit. It's not just about manager stability though. It's the club as a whole, and we've been chaotic. In the example of Brentford, their principles don't change and when a manager moves on or is poached, they find a suitable replacement.

I agree about the club as a whole, you think managers like pardew, coppell, BmD they, at the time felt like the right fit, awful phrase but the Reading way, the club felt good, it all felt right, maybe some of us would warm more to Bowen if other things at the club felt better, less disjointed, happier players, signings that made sense. (Not Bowen’s fault of course)

Also feel club ownership plays a part, the anton zingarevich etc, the Thai’s, the Chinese it all feels distant to how it felt with Mr. Mad

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 08:58

tmesis Whoever we have in the job next season, if the playing staff has the kind of cull that, at the moment, is looking likely, staying up will be an achievement.

Despite that, I suspect that if we struggle, people will say it's down to Bowen.

Personally I think he's done 'OK'. He's not excelled, but why would anyone expect him to given the problems at the club? If we sack him, we won't having good managers queuing up for the job. We aren't an attractive prospect any more. We might appeal to an ambitious manager at limited League One or Two club. We might appeal to a manager looking for a first club, but why would any manager with a half-decent track record want to come here?

Yes, unless we manage to bring a bit of experience or quality in then Bowen will have a difficult job on his hands next season, as any reading manager would.

I know it’s too early and unfair to assume who will be relegation fodder next season but looking at who has come up who is coming down, maybe some points deductions and some bang average teams now fortunately for us next season may be a good season for us if we are weak as there will likely be quite a few other poor teams

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 09:22

NewCorkSeth

Don’t mention that name! What on earth are we going to do with him?!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 09:32

SouthDownsRoyal
tmesis Whoever we have in the job next season, if the playing staff has the kind of cull that, at the moment, is looking likely, staying up will be an achievement.

Yes, unless we manage to bring a bit of experience or quality in then Bowen will have a difficult job on his hands next season, as any reading manager would.

I know it’s too early and unfair to assume who will be relegation fodder next season but looking at who has come up who is coming down, maybe some points deductions and some bang average teams now fortunately for us next season may be a good season for us if we are weak as there will likely be quite a few other poor teams

Bowen knows this though. He said he wants a young, hungry squad with a handful of experienced, model professionals leading the way.

We can already expect big roles from Rafael and Morrison next year, who are both in their 30s. Yiadom has over 150 Championship appearances; Rinomhota and Meite both more than 50. I'd expect a couple of signings to be in the 2nd half of their career.

I have no expectation of promotion next season, but I'll have every right to be disappointed if we end up fighting relegation. Repeating this season should be seen as bare minimum.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2020 09:40

SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth

Literally nothing. Nobody will buy him. Any club that would even want him won't pay half what we are paying. A loan might be possible.

Honestly, and I dont like saying this, we might have to just play him.. put him on the bench and use him for cover.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 09:52

WestYorksRoyal
SouthDownsRoyal

Bowen knows this though. He said he wants a young, hungry squad with a handful of experienced, model professionals leading the way.

We can already expect big roles from Rafael and Morrison next year, who are both in their 30s. Yiadom has over 150 Championship appearances; Rinomhota and Meite both more than 50. I'd expect a couple of signings to be in the 2nd half of their career.

Ihave no expectation of promotion next season, but I'll have every right to be disappointed if we end up fighting relegation. Repeating this season should be seen as bare minimum.

Couldn’t agree more. Of course much depends on what happens up to the start of the season, but I agree, bearing in mind this season and the possible lack of quality in the league next year I would be disappointed if we don’t finish 12-14th. And as you say, I don’t expect a playoff push but if we can loiter around 12th, anything can happen, one of the joys of the division

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 29 Jul 2020 09:53

SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth

What’s everybody’s take on Alukho.Somebody posted players salaries on here a couple of weeks ago which indicated a weekly salary paid to him of £15k a week.Yet I always understood he had a long contract of £40k a week,and this latter figure was what was crippling us financially.As a player I really don’t know what to make of him;he clearly has ability,but is lazy , pulls out of tackles and just drifts out of games.He is now of an age where his best years are behind him and once our contract up ,he faces a very uncertain future.Does he care about his career ? Presumably he is just happy to count his money,but what does he do next ?His sister,while a controversial figure,is clearly ambitious for a footing on the non playing side of the game.Her brother however seems an introspective,distant character.Its all very strange.Most Pro’s are very determined individuals,as it takes so much commitment to get into the professional game.All very strange with Sone.Does anybody know what the “problem” is?

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 29 Jul 2020 09:55

NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth You forgot the creme de la creme. Aluko.

Literally nothing. Nobody will buy him. Any club that would even want him won't pay half what we are paying. A loan might be possible.

Honestly, and I dont like saying this, we might have to just play him.. put him on the bench and use him for cover.

Players like aluko are just so frustrating. Yes a stupid signing but he has shown at limited times he can be a decent player but it’s so rare and he seems happy being paid good money for sitting on the bench

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jul 2020 09:58

SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal

Players like aluko are just so frustrating. Yes a stupid signing but he has shown at limited times he can be a decent player but it’s so rare and he seems happy being paid good money for sitting on the bench

It's so strange, even taking away how much we paid for him and his massive salary, he was a player fulham didnt want to leave and was doing well at the start of the season we signed him. Since the move he's looked like a league 1 journeyman completely out of his depth, I just cant see how it went so badly wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 10:03

NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal
NewCorkSeth You forgot the creme de la creme. Aluko.

oxf*rd you. No seriously. Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water.

There is no way we are desperate enough to play that overpaid useless sack of shit.

Motivate him to leave by barring him from training and just pretend he doesn't exist.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 29 Jul 2020 10:10

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal

There is no way we are desperate enough to play that overpaid useless sack of shit.

Motivate him to leave by barring him from training and just pretend he doesn't exist.

That didnt work particularly well with the players last year did it, not his fault the club gave him a big contract.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Jul 2020 10:11

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal

I know. I deserve that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 10:12

Simon's Church
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Literally nothing. Nobody will buy him. Any club that would even want him won't pay half what we are paying. A loan might be possible.

That didnt work particularly well with the players last year did it, not his fault the club gave him a big contract.

Baldock, McCleary and Gunter didn't deserve it.

I wouldn't want him near the U23s.

It's his fault he's a shit lazy useless waste of space and drain on resources. Couldn't give a flying one whether it works and he leaves or not. His contract expires next next year and he won't be around the squad. This it's not his fault we gave him a big contract is bullshit and always is. It's not like he was asking for 3k and we just forced 15 or whatever it is on him. That was what it took to sign him, so yes, it is this fault.

Good luck finding a club in your 30s without any training for a year.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Jul 2020 10:14

Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth
SouthDownsRoyal

He has a year left on a lucrative contract so there is no way he will leave early by freezing him out. Maybe he can do a job next season, track record says no but while he is here and contracted, if we can use him I don't see why not.

Playing well he could be an asset to the team but there's got to be a reason no one at Reading has really dragged it out of him, either way I think it will be a relief to get him off the books next year.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Jul 2020 10:15

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal
NewCorkSeth Literally nothing. Nobody will buy him. Any club that would even want him won't pay half what we are paying. A loan might be possible.

He has a year left on a lucrative contract so there is no way he will leave early by freezing him out. Maybe he can do a job next season, track record says no but while he is here and contracted, if we can use him I don't see why not.

Playing well he could be an asset to the team but there's got to be a reason no one at Reading has really dragged it out of him, either way I think it will be a relief to get him off the books next year.

We have to change the changing room atmosphere. He can't be there.

202 posts