Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFI Follow Middlesborough

by Sutekh » 15 Jul 2020 14:48

Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2
Fox Talbot

Just looked the stats up.

If we lose to Swans that'll be 12 home defeats in a season - a new club record.

We've lost 30 home games in the last three seasons.

We've lost 10+ home games in three of the last six seasons.

In the 1930s we lost just 10 home games in seven seasons FFS. If Elm Park was a fortress then, the Madstad's a gift shop today.

"There are no easy places to go in the Championship. Except Reading. Especially on a Tuesday night, when they do a 'as many points as you like' take-away special."

Got to do something about this - maybe shift all the players who are too used to home defeats?

The Madejski used to be a fortress as well, our terrible home form really only started in Adkins' second season

EDIT: Actually looking at our record, our home form wasn't even that bad until Stam's 2nd season but it does feel like it's been going on for longer.

In the PL we won 4 home games.
In Adkins first season down we won 8 home games
The season Adkins was sacked we won 8 home games.

It's been since we got promoted bar 1 season under Stam.

Agreed. Home form has been consistently cr@p since the start of 2012/2013, bar Stam’s first season when it just consistently dull.

Since 2012 Reading have won

4 out of 19 (21.05% success)
8 out of 23 (34.78% success)
16 out of 23 (69.56% success)
5 out of 23 (21.73% success)
Currently 7 out of 22 (31.81% success) this would become 30.43% success if Swansea aren’t beaten next Wednesday.

So out of the 179 league home games played since August 2012 Reading have won on 64 occasions which is a success rate of 35.75% of course some would say to take out the aberrational 16 win season which means Reading would then have won 48 of 156 games played, a success rate of 30.76%.

Looking at it from a points won perspective it translates as:

PtsWon/PtsAvail

20/57 - 35.08% of available points won
34/69 - 49.27%
29/69 - 42.02%
33/69 - 47.82%
53/69 - 76.81%
23/69 - 33.33%
30/69 - 43.47%
25/66 - 37.87%

Therefore this season is going to be the 3rd worst home season since 12/13.

And for just Mark Bowen it’s 22 points gained from a possible 51 which is 43.13% won of the available points. A win over Swansea would increase that to 46.29% which is the 4th best home record.

All in all there is a lot of improvement to be had.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jul 2020 14:59

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
tidus_mi2 The Madejski used to be a fortress as well, our terrible home form really only started in Adkins' second season

EDIT: Actually looking at our record, our home form wasn't even that bad until Stam's 2nd season but it does feel like it's been going on for longer.

In the PL we won 4 home games.
In Adkins first season down we won 8 home games
The season Adkins was sacked we won 8 home games.

It's been since we got promoted bar 1 season under Stam.

Agreed. Home form has been consistently cr@p since the start of 2012/2013, bar Stam’s first season when it just consistently dull.

Since 2012 Reading have won

4 out of 19 (21.05% success)
16 out of 23 (69.56% success)
5 out of 23 (21.73% success)
Currently 7 out of 22 (31.81% success) this would become 30.43% success if Swansea aren’t beaten next Wednesday.

So out of the 179 league home games played since August 2012 Reading have won on 64 occasions which is a success rate of 35.75% of course some would say to take out the aberrational 16 win season which means Reading would then have won 48 of 156 games played, a success rate of 30.76%.

Looking at it from a points won perspective it translates as:

PtsWon/PtsAvail

20/57 - 35.08% of available points won
34/69 - 49.27%
29/69 - 42.02%
33/69 - 47.82%
53/69 - 76.81%
23/69 - 33.33%
30/69 - 43.47%
25/66 - 37.87%

Therefore this season is going to be the 3rd worst home season since 12/13.

And for just Mark Bowen it’s 22 points gained from a possible 51 which is 43.13% won of the available points. A win over Swansea would increase that to 46.29% which is the 4th best home record.

All in all there is a lot of improvement to be had.

So essentially, and an admittedly small sample, based on points he is moving the home form slowly in the right direction.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jul 2020 15:05

You often hear of clubs employing a defence coach and a goalkeeping coach but seldom one with emphasis on attack-presumably in most cases the manager/coach is the one to dictate play.
Bowen, a left-back by trade, seems to have little idea about the attacking part of the game and playing a centre-back like Moore in a midfield role (presumably Pele was injured) smacks of negativity, and negativity at home to a side just a few points above the bottom is just not on.

Bowen will keep his job for a few more months I expect because he has fulfilled the first objective ; tighten up the defence and make sure we don't get relegated.
Now comes the hard bit and I suspect that the owners will not be overjoyed if we continue to play so badly at home.

After breaking the habit of going to games I expect a fall-off in attendances once we can go again especially as through I-follow we have continued to see such dross at home and as Zip posted there hasn't been much to make us desperate to put in our own effort to get to games..

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Jul 2020 15:07

paultheroyal
winchester_royal
royalp-we It was awful - but we’ve just come off the back of 3 clean sheets. There’s a vast improvement in this side to 12 months ago, whatever way you wish to look at it.

There really isn't.

A few plucky, defensive, ground out wins does not change the fact that there's absolutely no pattern, tempo, or excitement to our football.

This team is simply nowhere near the quality to threaten even a top-half finish next season. Not to mention the football is beyond tedious.

Bowen has probably earned the chance to have this summer to turn things around, but he needs to.

Results from Bowen’s tenure says something different.

Plenty of managers get an initial reaction in terms of results that are not sustained (e.g. Clement). A better indicator of long term potential is performance and sorry but I think every performance bar Luton since the restart has been utterly turgid

In the last 3 games we have been played off the park by Huddersfield, scraped a 1-0 win against Charlton against the run of play and with plenty of help from the referee, and deservedly beaten at home by Boro. All 3 of those teams are bottom 6 fodder.

If you think that suggests this team is good enough to be competing at the upper levels of the league next season then fair enough, but I don't

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jul 2020 16:05

winchester_royal
paultheroyal
winchester_royal
There really isn't.

A few plucky, defensive, ground out wins does not change the fact that there's absolutely no pattern, tempo, or excitement to our football.

This team is simply nowhere near the quality to threaten even a top-half finish next season. Not to mention the football is beyond tedious.

Bowen has probably earned the chance to have this summer to turn things around, but he needs to.

Plenty of managers get an initial reaction in terms of results that are not sustained (e.g. Clement). A better indicator of long term potential is performance and sorry but I think every performance bar Luton since the restart has been utterly turgid

In the last 3 games we have been played off the park by Huddersfield, scraped a 1-0 win against Charlton against the run of play and with plenty of help from the referee, and deservedly beaten at home by Boro. All 3 of those teams are bottom 6 fodder.

If you think that suggests this team is good enough to be competing at the upper levels of the league next season then fair enough, but I don't

October till before yesterday had us showing fourth. 30+ games. Pretty good benchmark in my book.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Jul 2020 17:15

paultheroyal
October till before yesterday had us showing fourth. 30+ games. Pretty good benchmark in my book.

You genuinely believe that we've been playing like the 4th best team in the league?

Okay..

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 15 Jul 2020 17:30

winchester_royal
paultheroyal

You genuinely believe that we've been playing like the 4th best team in the league?

Okay..

I am not saying that, i am saying it shows promise that we are grinding out results when bang average. When bang average becomes decent with players Bowen wants then in my book it shows we have reason to be optimistic. You look at posts from October onwards, it was doom and gloom and a relegation battle, yes we have skirted with danger but what has been delivered is far more than we could have expected.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Jul 2020 17:38

winchester_royal
paultheroyal
winchester_royal
There really isn't.

Played off the park by Huddersfield? give me a break, they were just as bad as us.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jul 2020 20:24

Talking about home records. Under Bowen we are W6 D4 L7. Not great at all but a definite improvement on the W1 L4 we started with.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jul 2020 13:46

windermereROYAL
winchester_royal
paultheroyal

Played off the park by Huddersfield? give me a break, they were just as bad as us.

This has been the problem though, dropping home points to Brentford and Leeds is one thing but dropping them again and again season after season to such palpably awful sides as Stoke, Huddersfield etc. is just unacceptable.

And stats for the last 4 home games apparently say Reading have managed just 7 shots on target across all those games. You going to get a ST to watch a club that manages an average of 2 shots on target per game?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2020 14:09

Sutekh
windermereROYAL
winchester_royal

This has been the problem though, dropping home points to Brentford and Leeds is one thing but dropping them again and again season after season to such palpably awful sides as Stoke, Huddersfield etc. is just unacceptable.

And stats for the last 4 home games apparently say Reading have managed just 7 shots on target across all those games. You going to get a ST to watch a club that manages an average of 2 shots on target per game?

Didn't we go multiple home games without a shot on target under Stam?

I don't think there's a lot of point in reading much into anything that's happened since the restart other than the experience young players are getting and that we've picked up the points we needed.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jul 2020 15:41

:lol: @ questioning Bowen whenever results go against us.

We're head and shoulders better than we used to be with Gomes, and I like most liked the fella.

This weird low confidence coronasituation isn't fair to judge on but overall we're doing fine.

Let's hope he can make a go of it next season as I feel if he doesn't make the playoffs he'll be out.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 16 Jul 2020 16:35

I hope I am wrong,and we put in two convincing performances until the end of the season;but under Bowen it has been very unconvincing;Luton goalfest apart.I maintain that whatever he is trying to do,the players are not buying into it.Jao apart,both Puscas and Meite need quick ball for them to run onto;yet Swift and Ejaria just dwell on the ball and try to create something clever;but slow.I have been hugely impressed with the Southampton and Wolves managers;who are over achieving with nothing like the roll call,the big boys have.
Seriously I have no idea what Bowen is trying to do.Either he is a dinosaur from the Hughes/Pulis era,or he just cannot get his message across.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2020 16:47

Ah, the old lost the players excuse based on nothing.