Osho - best crosser of the ball at the club. Discuss.

125 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Osho - best crosser of the ball at the club. Discuss.

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2020 14:17

Sutekh Think I’d want to see a good few more games from Osho before deciding he was the best crosser at the club esp. when there’s not much competition currently (which isn’t surprising given the lack of games for those at the club that are wingers, but then I’d rather see a couple of quick and tricky wingers over wing backs any day).

Next season we may find Osho not even be starting games with Yiadom back to fitness (plus 3 or 4 centre backs probably ahead of Osho for his other position).

By the way are there stats for the number of successful crosses a club puts in each game. How do Reading fare in that compared to others in the league?

Yep.

Whoscored.com
Championship
Team Statistics
Pass type

Reading are joint bottom on 3.5 for accurate crosses a game.

Leeds top on 5.9

22nd on inaccurate crosses 13.1

Vs Leeds with 20.3 at the top.

So Leeds attempt 26 crosses a game with about 1 in 5 success

Whilst we attempt about 17 with about 1 in 5 success. If my eyeball maths is vaguely right.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Jul 2020 15:17

Pepe the Horseman Tyler Blackett is the best crosser of the ball at the club.

Is the correct answer. He’s also our best player.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jul 2020 15:36

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh Think I’d want to see a good few more games from Osho before deciding he was the best crosser at the club esp. when there’s not much competition currently (which isn’t surprising given the lack of games for those at the club that are wingers, but then I’d rather see a couple of quick and tricky wingers over wing backs any day).

Next season we may find Osho not even be starting games with Yiadom back to fitness (plus 3 or 4 centre backs probably ahead of Osho for his other position).

By the way are there stats for the number of successful crosses a club puts in each game. How do Reading fare in that compared to others in the league?

Yep.

Whoscored.com
Championship
Team Statistics
Pass type

Leeds top on 5.9

Whilst we attempt about 17 with about 1 in 5 success. If my eyeball maths is vaguely right.

Interesting thanks, Ian. Clear stats to back up the feeling I had to post this thread.

I don't know why I can only see corsses attempted, not accurate vs inaccurate, but yeah no surprise that we're rock bottom.

Interesting though, we're TOP when it comes to dribbles per game. No idea why /cough/Ejaria/cough/...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jul 2020 16:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Snowflake Royal

Yep.

Whoscored.com
Championship
Team Statistics
Pass type

Leeds top on 5.9

Interesting thanks, Ian. Clear stats to back up the feeling I had to post this thread.

I don't know why I can only see corsses attempted, not accurate vs inaccurate, but yeah no surprise that we're rock bottom.

Interesting though, we're TOP when it comes to dribbles per game. No idea why /cough/Ejaria/cough/...

If you go to the second data set, pick detailed tab and the select passes by type.

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 16 Jul 2020 18:05

John Smith
Pepe the Horseman Tyler Blackett is the best crosser of the ball at the club.

Is the correct answer. He’s also our best player.

Its just a shame he switches off into ' ball watching mode' , too often

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Jul 2020 21:28

So after Blackburn....

Almost zero service. Meite and Puscas may as well have been playing on a different pitch somewhere.

I don’t remember a single good cross from Richards or Gunter. One of Richards’ went ridiculously too deep other missed 18 yard box I think. I counted one good cross from Swift and one from Blackett.

Then we made the changes and Lo and behold both our free play goals came from crosses. One far out from ‘Obita and one close in after great work by Baldock.

There is almost no point playing srtikers if we can’t put decent balls in for them. And stats show we are worst in the league in that regard as per Ian’s find.

What an absolute breath of fresh air to see football played the way I am used to with Gmac coming on and actually playing like a winger storming down the right.

Instead we are keen to pump long balls up to Joao even if he is not starting. Or try to play it through the middle somehow. I’m getting fed up with it.

But I accept perhaps it’s not necessary these days. It’s not like we are a relegation side, we are comfortably mid table I guess. But should/could we be higher?

In Bowen we trust.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jul 2020 00:02

2 world wars, 1 world cup So after Blackburn....

Almost zero service. Meite and Puscas may as well have been playing on a different pitch somewhere.

I don’t remember a single good cross from Richards or Gunter. One of Richards’ went ridiculously too deep other missed 18 yard box I think. I counted one good cross from Swift and one from Blackett.

Then we made the changes and Lo and behold both our free play goals came from crosses. One far out from ‘Obita and one close in after great work by Baldock.

There is almost no point playing srtikers if we can’t put decent balls in for them. And stats show we are worst in the league in that regard as per Ian’s find.

What an absolute breath of fresh air to see football played the way I am used to with Gmac coming on and actually playing like a winger storming down the right.

Instead we are keen to pump long balls up to Joao even if he is not starting. Or try to play it through the middle somehow. I’m getting fed up with it.

But I accept perhaps it’s not necessary these days. It’s not like we are a relegation side, we are comfortably mid table I guess. But should/could we be higher?

In Bowen we trust.

Think genuine out and out wingers are a dying breed in football but if you have them, they’re a useful asset. Fullbacks seem to struggle playing against genuine wingers with pace to burn, Traore at Wolves, Saint Maximin at Newcastle etc

If you trawl back through the last 10 years or so, you’ll find our best seasons have coincided with a consistent use of two out and out wingers (playoff final in one, promotion in another). Since then, we’ve wasted time (and money) asking the likes of J.Taylor, Piazon, Aluko, Blackman (for 90% of the time he was here) to play out wide to very little effect

You look at the most successful teams nowadays, how they play. City use the width well, Liverpool use the width well, even Leeds make the pitch wide. On the contrary, we don’t, and whilst it’s very simple to say make the pitch wider and we may start improving, I think we miss a trick by trying to play so intricately in the middle of the pitch all the time

Obviously Bowen’s hands are slightly tied by the lack of available wingers in the club, but I do hope it’s an area we look to exploit in the window

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 19 Jul 2020 01:16

URZZZZ

In Bowen we trust.

Think genuine out and out wingers are a dying breed in football but if you have them, they’re a useful asset. Fullbacks seem to struggle playing against genuine wingers with pace to burn, Traore at Wolves, Saint Maximin at Newcastle etc

If you trawl back through the last 10 years or so, you’ll find our best seasons have coincided with a consistent use of two out and out wingers (playoff final in one, promotion in another). Since then, we’ve wasted time (and money) asking the likes of J.Taylor, Piazon, Aluko, Blackman (for 90% of the time he was here) to play out wide to very little effect

You look at the most successful teams nowadays, how they play. City use the width well, Liverpool use the width well, even Leeds make the pitch wide. On the contrary, we don’t, and whilst it’s very simple to say make the pitch wider and we may start improving, I think we miss a trick by trying to play so intricately in the middle of the pitch all the time

Obviously Bowen’s hands are slightly tied by the lack of available wingers in the club, but I do hope it’s an area we look to exploit in the window

Interesting yeah.

I may be biased as an ex (amateur) winger and might be a bit dated in my understanding but to me it’s the most basic and intuitive way to set your team up. It’s fine to do other things of course but you really need the right personnel with a definite specific alternative system in mind. I don’t feel we have that, we’re just pissing in the wind trying anything.

Re: Bowen’s hands being tied I do like him and not trying to have a pop but I’m not sure I agree. He’s had GMac available on the right and Obita (natural; left winger great crosser) on the left as a worst case scenario and he’s been able to bring players in. I just don’t think that style is the current mindset as everyone is trying to complicate stuff for some reason. I don’t know who to blame but Stam and his “4 defenders, 6 non-defenders” approach seemed to be the beginning of this idiocy to me.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Jul 2020 01:36

URZZZZ

In Bowen we trust.

Interesting yeah.

I may be biased as an ex (amateur) winger and might be a bit dated in my understanding but to me it’s the most basic and intuitive way to set your team up. It’s fine to do other things of course but you really need the right personnel with a definite specific alternative system in mind. I don’t feel we have that, we’re just pissing in the wind trying anything.

Re: Bowen’s hands being tied I do like him and not trying to have a pop but I’m not sure I agree. He’s had GMac available on the right and Obita (natural; left winger great crosser) on the left as a worst case scenario and he’s been able to bring players in. I just don’t think that style is the current mindset as everyone is trying to complicate stuff for some reason. I don’t know who to blame but Stam and his “4 defenders, 6 non-defenders” approach seemed to be the beginning of this idiocy to me.

Think half the problem is we have a lot of talent in central midfield areas which Bowen tries to shoehorn in which often means there’s little room for wingers
Do think if we get a reasonable offer for Swift this window, may be better to move him on, nothing particularly against him but may help the balance of the squad

Not sure I agree with your point on Stam actually (well his first season). Had a good shape and balance to us, used the width well, tired out the opponents, scored late goals etc. All gone downhill since then

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 19 Jul 2020 08:45

We all love a good winger but if we played a 4-4-2, which 2 central midfielders would have the attributes to play in a 2-man midfield effectively? Rinomhota possibly. None of Swift, Ejaria or Olise would do well there. We would be overran in the centre of the field. The answer would be to sign a strong more defensive midfielder to play alongside Rino. But we wouldn’t be very creative centrally at all.

3-5-2 would suit players like Richards & Obita and the central midfielders, Baldock too. But wouldn’t suit players like Meite.

We have to accept that due to the imbalance of this squad, there is no perfect formation for us to stick to. Just need to wait and see what happens with the transfers in the summer I guess

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 19 Jul 2020 09:23

I’m a big fan of wingers, interesting to read how many think it’s an outdated way of playing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2020 09:45

URZZZZ

In Bowen we trust.

Interesting yeah.

Obita's put in one good cross since restart when in acres of space. It's time to recognise his injuries finished him at this level.

McCleary, great guy that he is, also isn't really up to it. Meite has been plenty effective out wide so really no argument to fiddle with that.

All shapes have strengths and weaknesses. Currently 4-4-2 means being overrun in midfield, as we saw yesterday because of the way everyone sets up. It isn't the answer without the perfect player combo and we certainly don't have that.

We made it to midtable playing 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 with an unbalanced squad. We haven't had a good player properly suited to LF who plays at a decent tempo all season for example. We've had just 1 DM all season and had to force Rino into it when that's not his best game.

Put the pieces of the puzzle together by working on the squad and we'll be fine.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Aug 2020 14:09

Aaand.... there goes the best crosser at the club as far as I'm concerned.

Leaving us with Obita and Blackett, who at least some others here feel were better crossers.

Oh, hang on....

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2020 14:28

Millsy Aaand.... there goes the best crosser at the club as far as I'm concerned.

Leaving us with Obita and Blackett, who at least some others here feel were better crossers.

Oh, hang on....

Not sure how big a thing it is for a reserve full back to be the best crosser of the ball. He was unlikely to play that much, which is why he’s decided to move on. You don’t hit many crosses from the subs bench...

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Aug 2020 14:43

Nameless
Millsy Aaand.... there goes the best crosser at the club as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, hang on....

Not sure how big a thing it is for a reserve full back to be the best crosser of the ball. He was unlikely to play that much, which is why he’s decided to move on. You don’t hit many crosses from the subs bench...

Really? Given how many players are leaving, just how many of those who remain are going to be guaranteed a place in the team ahead of him? I suspect the reason for him leaving could well be that the terms of the new contract offered were not that great and his agent is confident he can do better elsewhere.

A big loss IMO.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Aug 2020 14:47

Osho leaving is fcuking tragic and shows exactly where we are right now. He proved he is good enough at Championship level and no doubt we low balled him on the contract offer. Ridiculous from the club.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Aug 2020 14:51

RoyalBlue
Nameless

Oh, hang on....

Really? Given how many players are leaving, just how many of those who remain are going to be guaranteed a place in the team ahead of him? I suspect the reason for him leaving could well be that the terms of the new contract offered were not that great and his agent is confident he can do better elsewhere.

A big loss IMO.

Andy Yiadom is the man ahead of him. Pretty nailed on. To be a reserve you only need one person ahead of you.
Asa centre back he’d be fourth in line currently.
He specifically said the reason for not signing was lack of likely playing time. Good luck if his agent thinks he can get a better deal off the back of half a dozen decent games and several failed loan spells.
I would have liked him to stay, he would have been useful back up defensively, I think he has promise but if you are suggesting he would have been a clear firstteam starter next season I think you are wrong. We shouldn’t be paying huge salaries to reserves.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 03 Aug 2020 15:11

He'll get a few games in a league one club, who else will sign him?

He's taken a huge risk in the current climate and is being poorly advised, probably got the same agent as Loader

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Aug 2020 15:13

RoyalBlue
Nameless

Oh, hang on....

A big loss IMO.

Oh well. Glad we've got you to decide what the real reason is based on nothing.

Cheers.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Aug 2020 15:13

Mid Sussex Royal He'll get a few games in a league one club, who else will sign him?

He's taken a huge risk in the current climate and is being poorly advised, probably got the same agent as Loader

I'd say he has been advised just fine, we have tried to stuff him on the wages and his agent has got him a better deal elsewhere. No way he would leave for the sake of leaving at this point in his career, must have something lined up. Such a shame we are losing him.

125 posts