Osho - best crosser of the ball at the club. Discuss.

125 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Osho - best crosser of the ball at the club. Discuss.

by Millsy » 15 Jul 2020 12:04

Osho

People know I like sticking my neck out, if only to generate discussion, so here it goes..

From what I've seen of the lad, his crosses in the last few games have been very good. Last night he was at it again.

I know we talk about Obita being a good crosser of the ball, and he's not bad (originally a left winger), but he's not quite the same Obita we know. For me Osho wins.

Wingers

This leads me to another issue up for discussion: is it a sad state of affairs that our best crossers of the ball (according to me, so it must be true eh? :wink: ) are left back and right back? (Yes Obita was originally a left winger, which will explain it).

I've said before that I remember when Parj joined he said the first thing he wanted to sort out (probably even before TSF) was crosses into the box. I remember him arguing that all we needed to do was increase the number of balls into the box and the goals would come. It seems to me we've done away with classical wingers, and along with that has gone quality balls into the box. Instead post-Stam we've been lumbered with doing some defence, some vague "generally good midfielders", and then some strikers, in the hope it seems that our generally good midfielders will do some generally good stuff, somewhere generally behind the strikers, and that would generally lead to some goals. Well it didn't really. We got into playoffs yes but our GD was crap and we couldn't score in open play in 120mins at Wembley. We did use Barrow on the wing at some point (memory fails me how or when) who was bloody brilliant but he's not in our plans. Then we resorted to wingbacks to get some width, and crosses in, and that worked for 5mins until we got found out.

And now we're back to no Barrow, no wingbacks pushing up and pinging in crosses, and just a generally clueless midfield where we're chopping and changing players in all sorts of positions. Let's put a striker on the right, a central midfielder on the left, a defender in midfield, let them generally run around and try to be generally good... but with no speciliased wingers trained to get behind the defence and put a ball in. That was my job - so that much I know well, so perhaps I'm biased, but I think it's a very specific skill that a "generally good midfielder" isn't cut out for.

Service

And this leads to me echoing the sentiments of much of HNA that we have no service. So despite having pretty good strikers (in my opinion) we seem so awfully inept going forward. Ball comes out of defence ---> some general midfield vague passing stuff, hoping it will get to strikers --> nothing much happens. Or Ball is hoofed up from defence ----> No Joao so what's the point?

I'm not demanding we use wingers, as I'm not a football pro I'm just a random punter with random thoughts, but I thought I'd put it out there:

Osho is our best crosser.
It is a sad state of affairs that our best crosser is a right back.
What's wrong with wingers and basic football i.e. get the crosses in and the goals will come? Worked for us with Parj.

Shoot me down, discuss... :)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Osho - best crosser of the ball at the club. Discuss.

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2020 12:09

Obita was an excellent crosser, but his loss of pace and fitness has hurt him. Recently he's rarely caught it sweet and put in a good ball.

Blackett was also a super crosser, but he's been over hitting everything.

Olise dan be good but has been off form.

Swift needs to improve his delivery it's been very good in the past.

Osho's ok. I don't think we've seen enough to really judge him on it though. He's only played about 4 games there.

One thing for certain is that the quality of our crossing and passing is a major area for improvement.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jul 2020 12:24

Full backs are often the best crossers these days; look at Liverpool. Traditional wingers seem to be out of fashion. At home I think we should use this more. A narrow, diamond 4-4-2 with the full backs providing the width. Means discipline is necessary for Pele and Rinomhota to fill in defensively, but our home approach is not really effective at the moment and we don't have the players for a traditional Coppell or McDermott 4-4-2

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2020 12:28

WestYorksRoyal Full backs are often the best crossers these days; look at Liverpool. Traditional wingers seem to be out of fashion. At home I think we should use this more. A narrow, diamond 4-4-2 with the full backs providing the width. Means discipline is necessary for Pele and Rinomhota to fill in defensively, but our home approach is not really effective at the moment and we don't have the players for a traditional Coppell or McDermott 4-4-2

That or a 3-5-2 with wing backs is an option.

Neither Yiadom or Richards are especially hot on crossing, more the cut inside type.

Meite's obviously been very successful out wide, but he's not really a provider.

Essentially we've got no one you can really rely on to deliver consistent ball into box predictably. Whether by cross, through ball, diagonal, dribble or pull back

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Jul 2020 12:49

Tyler Blackett is the best crosser of the ball at the club.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jul 2020 13:20

Cant agree that Richards cuts in more. Always looks more likely to cross imo. Yiadom for sure loves to cut in.

Osho looks solid at crosaing. Main thing appears to be his strength and intelligence. Dunno if that comes from his need to prove a point or he's just enjoying playing but i am very impressed.

I'm actually quite excited by him after watching his power. Wingers will hate playing him. Its like having Meite play there but he can actually defend.

Coming around to Ians "play the oxf*rd academy" attitude.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 15 Jul 2020 13:20

Pepe the Horseman Tyler Blackett is the best crosser of the ball at the club.

yeah probably.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jul 2020 15:08

But he isn't much good at anything else...…….and he is going.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jul 2020 15:10

South Coast Royal

Thanks yet again for demonstrating your clear lack of football knowledge.

Wonder why it is you have a grudge against Blackett? What is it about the man you dislike so much? I wonder.........

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jul 2020 15:15

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal

Wonder why it is you have a grudge against Blackett? What is it about the man you dislike so much? I wonder.........

Why do you think the club is letting him go if he is so fcuking good?
No grudge-I just like defenders who are good defenders, e.g. Morrison.

You do have a cheek with your regular suggestions that no other poster than you has any understanding of football.
King twat of this year and every year and one of the rudest posters in the whole history of HNA, I give you OMA so please take him and dump him somewhere.

He of 18,533 posts in less than 3 years, the most regular and most obnoxious of them all.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jul 2020 15:20

South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal

So the white ones?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jul 2020 15:31

Old Man Andrews
South Coast Royal
Old Man Andrews Thanks yet again for demonstrating your clear lack of football knowledge.

So the white ones?

Stop being racist.

I don't like Gunter
I like Miazga,
I think McIntyre might have a future,
The same goes for Richards
The same goes for Osho
I like Yiadom
I liked Obita but the poor lad is not what he was.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Jul 2020 15:36

South Coast Royal

To be fair to Blackett, I would say he was the most improved player over the last few years and I would 100% re-sign him over Obita.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 Jul 2020 15:39

Hendo
South Coast Royal

To be fair to Blackett, I would say he was the most improved player over the last few years and I would 100% re-sign him over Obita.

Liability Blackett you mean?

Yeah ok that was my name for him when I really didn't rate him but since then he's proven himself for sure and will be sad to see him go. Agreed to sign over Obita.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Jul 2020 15:44

Hendo
South Coast Royal

But the manager and club obviously see it differently.
He may have improved but that is from such a terrible starting point.

What I don't like about him is his dreadful lack of awareness of what is going on around him on the pitch and I fear that at 26 he should be better by now but it may be something that he will never grasp.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jul 2020 18:21

Given Blackett is a fixture in the current side with Obita and Richards fit, I think writing off his time at the club as over in a couple of games is rather premature.

Covid is going to have changed finances quite a bit and probably makes travel somewhat less attractive (unless it's to somewhere like Germany that have a clue what they're doing). So quite plausible Blackett no longer wants to leave, no longer has an offer or no longer can achieve the wages he was hoping elsewhere. He may well currently be back in the team to prove his worth and earn a new contract... or have one well on the way to being agreed.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 15 Jul 2020 22:28

The biggest question I have regarding Osho is...hows it taken so long for him to be given a run in the side? He’s looked really good & is playing out of position!

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 15 Jul 2020 22:45

Notts Royal The biggest question I have regarding Osho is...hows it taken so long for him to be given a run in the side? He’s looked really good & is playing out of position!

You don't get much call for putting in crosses as a centre-back. Maybe he was literally being played in the wrong position, and had a load of centre backs ahead of him. And with Teddy Howe gone, and Yiadom injured he's being put in a position that actually suits him better.

In fact - maybe they looked at him, decided playing as a full -back would work, and actually he was better than Howe, and that's why Howe went.

Or it may have been a random fluke accident.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 15 Jul 2020 23:25

Osho s problem not fit enough.Lets hope these games are building on this,and the fitness guys (and him ) work on this pre season.I believe FB is the most physically demanding position on the field.What ever other problems Gunts has he is very fit.

Blackett s problem;concentration,he really is dozy at times and just goes to sleep.

Obita:Pre two bad injuries he was OK,but no more than that.Come his return;his confidence is blown;for an ex winger he cannot get to the by line.Also those injuries have taken their toll.

Richards;much better season;at the beginning of the season,the opposition tried to work on him as a weak link;but he is now much more solid.Does not however possess express speed.

Oh and to finish off;Barrow on his day was a real handfull.However he wasn’t a very good crosser and if he wasn’t in the mood,forget it.Also a bit like Yak;not someone to play a team mate in.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Jul 2020 13:34

Think I’d want to see a good few more games from Osho before deciding he was the best crosser at the club esp. when there’s not much competition currently (which isn’t surprising given the lack of games for those at the club that are wingers, but then I’d rather see a couple of quick and tricky wingers over wing backs any day).

Next season we may find Osho not even be starting games with Yiadom back to fitness (plus 3 or 4 centre backs probably ahead of Osho for his other position).

By the way are there stats for the number of successful crosses a club puts in each game. How do Reading fare in that compared to others in the league?

125 posts