Season 20/21

928 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Season 20/21

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 11:45

Franconian Royal I’m not going to believe anything the Torygraph prints. Like someone has said, it’ might be lazy journalism. Is there another reliable source? Perhaps The Guardian sports twitter feed has something. Can anyone help? I don’t have Twitter and nor do I intend to sign up to twitter.

The Telegraph sport writers are probably the best in the business. What do their sports reports have to do with politics? Grow up.

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 25 Aug 2020 11:49

Never read the Telegraph, never will. Personal choice. I’d take David Conway from the Guardian 10x over than anyone from the other paper.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 11:56

I think telegraph sports section and journalists are pretty good to be honest

Not saying the Stanojevic rumour isn’t lazy journalism though

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Aug 2020 12:10

Franconian Royal Never read the Telegraph, never will. Personal choice. I’d take David Conway from the Guardian 10x over than anyone from the other paper.

David Conn?

yeah he is good, but not really one for transfer rumours

Telegraph sports is decent enough. Better than the guardians imo

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 12:18

We must be a strong contender for biggest basket case in the league. Who are we competing with? Birmingham?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 12:20

There aren't that many that aren't basketcase clubs in the Championship tbh.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:29

Stranded So, random theory time.

Howe, in his capacity as EFL board member knows that the EFL has decided to "freeze" FFP this season given COVID i.e. last season's and this seasons accounts will not have any baring on FFP calculations as they accept that clubs are working with contracts signed under very different financial circumstances and a large number of clubs will miss the target due to decreased income - i.e. less matchday income etc.

Knowing this, he advised the owners. They make the decision that, as they have the money, it is now or never to push for the PL - Howe, whilst not completely disagreeing, he doesn't feel like he can stay in the CEO role whilst the club takes this gamble, due to his EFL board seat (potential conflict of interest) so agrees to step down but remain at the club as Vice-Chairman, so that he (and the club) retain that spot on the board but focus, officially, on non-football club interests.

The owners employ one of their guys as a CEO but he is essentially just a man in a seat - the owners (with support from Howe, one of the reasons he stayed at the club) still run the football business side alongside Bowen - who is widely respected by the owners.

As the club hope to push for promotion, they feel they need a "name" manager to attract players who can make that possible - they have approached and are in discussions with a particular manager and an agreement is reached - Bowen is asked to move back upstairs as the club are impressed with the work he has done to reshape the philosophy of the club and want him to continue that work without the distraction of running the first team. His move will only be announced when the new manager can also be announced.

So yeah, probably all complete bollocks but if there really is a "strategic review" in place then given that Howe hasn't left this would fit. Either way, nowt we can do about it and more important things to worry about.

I appreciate the quality of thought that's gone into producing this and I admire the optimism.

But I can't buy into it. We lurch from one disaster to another. These are the people who refused to sell Moore, Loader and Swift. Who appointed Gomes. Who oversaw our wage bill leaping to over 200% of turnover AFTER getting rid of Gourlay, the man who took the blame for all our previous issues and misspending.

There might have been some logic or value in this if it was done once we were safe.orthe season officially ended.

But after all the oocs have been sorted,a signing has been made and training has resumed with about 2 weeks til season start?

Yet another managerial change and disruption. We need stability and recovery.

I have zero faith in the owners, and given how quickly the recent rumours have come from nowhere and been proven I see little reason to be sceptical about Bowen being moved on and some guy with shit all quality getting the manager's job.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 12:33

Snowflake Royal

Howe, in his capacity as EFL board member knows that the EFL has decided to "freeze" FFP this season given COVID i.e. last season's and this seasons accounts will not have any baring on FFP calculations as they accept that clubs are working with contracts signed under very different financial circumstances and a large number of clubs will miss the target due to decreased income - i.e. less matchday income etc.

Knowing this, he advised the owners. They make the decision that, as they have the money, it is now or never to push for the PL - Howe, whilst not completely disagreeing, he doesn't feel like he can stay in the CEO role whilst the club takes this gamble, due to his EFL board seat (potential conflict of interest) so agrees to step down but remain at the club as Vice-Chairman, so that he (and the club) retain that spot on the board but focus, officially, on non-football club interests.

The owners employ one of their guys as a CEO but he is essentially just a man in a seat - the owners (with support from Howe, one of the reasons he stayed at the club) still run the football business side alongside Bowen - who is widely respected by the owners.

As the club hope to push for promotion, they feel they need a "name" manager to attract players who can make that possible - they have approached and are in discussions with a particular manager and an agreement is reached - Bowen is asked to move back upstairs as the club are impressed with the work he has done to reshape the philosophy of the club and want him to continue that work without the distraction of running the first team. His move will only be announced when the new manager can also be announced.

So yeah, probably all complete bollocks but if there really is a "strategic review" in place then given that Howe hasn't left this would fit. Either way, nowt we can do about it and more important things to worry about.

I appreciate the quality of thought that's gone into producing this and I admire the optimism.

But I can't buy into it. We lurch from one disaster to another. These are the people who refused to sell Moore, Loader and Swift. Who appointed Gomes. Who oversaw our wage bill leaping to over 200% of turnover AFTER getting rid of Gourlay, the man who took the blame for all our previous issues and misspending.

There might have been some logic or value in this if it was done once we were safe.orthe season officially ended.

But after all the oocs have been sorted,a signing has been made and training has resumed with about 2 weeks til season start?

I have zero faith in the owners, and given how quickly the recent rumours have come from nowhere and been proven I see little reason to be sceptical about Bowen being moved on and some guy with shit all quality getting the manager's job.

Hard to disagree with this.

The owners clearly have no earthly idea on how to run a football club and are not acting in our best interests. Had Bowen been sacked and a proven manager been installed I think that is something we can get behind as supporters and see why it has happened.

If the owners didn't have faith in Bowen then sack him after the Swansea game and give a new manager the break to assess players etc. You cannot do it two weeks before the start of a season and bring in some bloke on the cheap who has had more clubs than Tiger Woods with ZERO experience of the league or English football, it is criminal.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 25 Aug 2020 12:38

How to ruin a football club in less than a decade.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:38

I'd just add that who in their right mind wants their predecessor sitting in a strategic role looking over their shoulder the whole time?

Furque that shit.

McDermolenko

by McDermolenko » 25 Aug 2020 12:43

Snowflake Royal I'd just add that who in their right mind wants their predecessor sitting in a strategic role looking over their shoulder the whole time?

Furque that shit.

Mark Hughes

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 25 Aug 2020 12:45

Dear lord, what a sad little life Mr Dai. You ruined our club, completely, just so you could own some land. I hope now you wil take your money spend it on getting some lessons in grace and decorum because you have all the grace of a reversing dump trunk without any tyres on

Franconian Royal

by Franconian Royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:46

Hound
Franconian Royal Never read the Telegraph, never will. Personal choice. I’d take David Conway from the Guardian 10x over than anyone from the other paper.

David Conn?

Yes, that’s who I meant.

I don’t think the Guardian deals with transfer rumours a lot. They are more critical writers. I’ll add Barney Ronay to the list of fav journos as well.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:49

Ridiculous suggestion, but any chance we can oust Dai? He’s ruining our club, it’s not pretty to watch.

Fortunately we have an average squad of players, otherwise we’d be going down.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:51

Notts Royal Ridiculous suggestion, but any chance we can oust Dai? He’s ruining our club, it’s not pretty to watch.

How?

Supporters have no power. He owns the club and we couldn't afford to buy it and run it even if we all agreed we wanted to.

Look at other clubs' fans trying to get rid of owners. Doesn't happen.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 12:51

Notts Royal Ridiculous suggestion, but any chance we can oust Dai? He’s ruining our club, it’s not pretty to watch.

We can oust him yes. Will you be putting up the £50m plus in order to do this?? If so then I am on board.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Aug 2020 12:52

Franconian Royal
Hound

David Conn?

Yes, that’s who I meant.

I don’t think the Guardian deals with transfer rumours a lot. They are more critical writers. I’ll add Barney Ronay to the list of fav journos as well.

Yep absolutely, everyone knows that left-leaning journalists are the ones to go to for football rumours

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 25 Aug 2020 12:52

Simon's Church Dear lord, what a sad little life Mr Dai. You ruined our club, completely, just so you could own some land. I hope now you wil take your money spend it on getting some lessons in grace and decorum because you have all the grace of a reversing dump trunk without any tyres on

I don't see this being about the land, don't the Thais still own it? The Chinese have pumped way too much into the club for it to be just about the land.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2020 12:56

Snowflake Royal

Was very much a thought process that came about in the shower this morning - appreciate it is very likely way off esp. if we end up hiring Stanojevic or some other complete unknown with a record of not hanging around (although a career 50% win ratio is not to be sniffed at).

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Aug 2020 13:01

Old Man Andrews

We can oust him yes. Will you be putting up the £50m plus in order to do this?? If so then I am on board.

I’ll let you know when I’ve come up with a business idea to raise the funds OMA

928 posts