Season 20/21

928 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Season 20/21

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 20:23

Hendo Saw this on twitter, take out his last 2, probably 3 as he was only there for 2 games, and his record is fine in the leagues he has been in.

True but what is the standard of the leagues? And how do they compare to the championship?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Aug 2020 20:25

SouthDownsRoyal
Hendo Saw this on twitter, take out his last 2, probably 3 as he was only there for 2 games, and his record is fine in the leagues he has been in.

True but what is the standard of the leagues? And how do they compare to the championship?

Yeah, I totally understand that, but as said earlier, it is a very similar record to Jokanovic before he came over and managed Watford, also had no English experience.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 21:00

Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal

Yeah, I totally understand that, but as said earlier, it is a very similar record to Jokanovic before he came over and managed Watford, also had no English experience.

Fair point.

Well if he gets the job it’s going to round 3, 4 or even 5? Of I’m underwhelmed and don’t expect much of the new manager named (insert unknown/average managers name here) but I’ll get behind him

Has no one said “I’ll give him till Christmas” yet? Maybe a bit early for that I suppose until he is named

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 21:05

I don’t get this Portugal trip. It’s a massive risk. It messes up the pre season fixtures we had already organised. And we miss the cup game which is really worrying. Are we just going to field the academy on the cup?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 25 Aug 2020 21:12

I gather we will be playing the under 23’s in the Cup game. This is shambolic.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Aug 2020 21:13

Snowflake Royal
Stranded So, random theory time.

Howe, in his capacity as EFL board member knows that the EFL has decided to "freeze" FFP this season given COVID i.e. last season's and this seasons accounts will not have any baring on FFP calculations as they accept that clubs are working with contracts signed under very different financial circumstances and a large number of clubs will miss the target due to decreased income - i.e. less matchday income etc.

Knowing this, he advised the owners. They make the decision that, as they have the money, it is now or never to push for the PL - Howe, whilst not completely disagreeing, he doesn't feel like he can stay in the CEO role whilst the club takes this gamble, due to his EFL board seat (potential conflict of interest) so agrees to step down but remain at the club as Vice-Chairman, so that he (and the club) retain that spot on the board but focus, officially, on non-football club interests.

The owners employ one of their guys as a CEO but he is essentially just a man in a seat - the owners (with support from Howe, one of the reasons he stayed at the club) still run the football business side alongside Bowen - who is widely respected by the owners.

As the club hope to push for promotion, they feel they need a "name" manager to attract players who can make that possible - they have approached and are in discussions with a particular manager and an agreement is reached - Bowen is asked to move back upstairs as the club are impressed with the work he has done to reshape the philosophy of the club and want him to continue that work without the distraction of running the first team. His move will only be announced when the new manager can also be announced.

So yeah, probably all complete bollocks but if there really is a "strategic review" in place then given that Howe hasn't left this would fit. Either way, nowt we can do about it and more important things to worry about.

I appreciate the quality of thought that's gone into producing this and I admire the optimism.

But I can't buy into it. We lurch from one disaster to another. These are the people who refused to sell Moore, Loader and Swift. Who appointed Gomes. Who oversaw our wage bill leaping to over 200% of turnover AFTER getting rid of Gourlay, the man who took the blame for all our previous issues and misspending.

There might have been some logic or value in this if it was done once we were safe.orthe season officially ended.

But after all the oocs have been sorted,a signing has been made and training has resumed with about 2 weeks til season start?

Yet another managerial change and disruption. We need stability and recovery.

I have zero faith in the owners, and given how quickly the recent rumours have come from nowhere and been proven I see little reason to be sceptical about Bowen being moved on and some guy with shit all quality getting the manager's job.

Almost feeĺs like I've called this.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Aug 2020 21:27

Tbf, sounds like he was vary good at Partizan and very highly rated at the time

Quite a while ago now mind you. The drifting from one team in a dodgy league to another isn’t a great sign. But he must have impressed someone at Renhe

Certainly not what I had in mind a few days ago but we’ll see

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 21:43

WoodleyRoyal I don’t get this Portugal trip. It’s a massive risk. It messes up the pre season fixtures we had already organised. And we miss the cup game which is really worrying. Are we just going to field the academy on the cup?

Agree and what’s the obesssion with Portugal? Gomez, and now this random last minute trip

Don’t think you have to quarantine on return from Portugal so you?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Aug 2020 21:47

Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal

Let’s not forget that Serbia is basically a two team league, similar to Scotland. So having a strong record with one of the two teams is pretty much taken as read. Hardly impressive.

At least it’s not Gary Monk

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 25 Aug 2020 21:47

SouthDownsRoyal
WoodleyRoyal I don’t get this Portugal trip. It’s a massive risk. It messes up the pre season fixtures we had already organised. And we miss the cup game which is really worrying. Are we just going to field the academy on the cup?

Agree and what’s the obesssion with Portugal? Gomez, and now this random last minute trip

Don’t think you have to quarantine on return from Portugal so you?

Don’t have to quarantine from Portugal at the moment - guess that’s why they’ve chosen to go there - where both parties can meet up

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Aug 2020 21:47

Lower West 2 weeks until the season starts. Perfect timing yet again. Hardly surprising players don't want to stay. Atmosphere must be unsettling.

Barnsley probably seems a more tempting club to play for right now

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 21:50

3points
Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal

Let’s not forget that Serbia is basically a two team league, similar to Scotland. So having a strong record with one of the two teams is pretty much taken as read. Hardly impressive.

You rather this guy to Gary monk?

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 25 Aug 2020 21:50

Old Man Andrews
WoodleyRoyal So the players aren’t training tomorrow as no ones knows who will be taking it. And we have last minute just booked a 10 day Portugal tour leaving Friday. Putting the spurs game and all the remaining friendliest in jeopardy.

I'd quite like us to be relegated this season, it would be well deserved.

Anything to get rid of the Dais right now...as long as we still have a club to support

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Aug 2020 21:53

SouthDownsRoyal
3points
Hendo

At least this guy might be successful (albeit unlikely) and could be a nice bloke to boot. Monk is a charlatan

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 25 Aug 2020 21:58

Most importantly has anyone found a picture of his wife. Serb women can be absolutely stunning

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Aug 2020 22:14

3points
Hendo
SouthDownsRoyal

Understand that, but the good thing about his time at Patizan is that he got them to Champions League group stages, which required 3 knockout rounds, so there is a positive for sure.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 22:18

3points
SouthDownsRoyal
3points Let’s not forget that Serbia is basically a two team league, similar to Scotland. So having a strong record with one of the two teams is pretty much taken as read. Hardly impressive.

At least this guy might be successful (albeit unlikely) and could be a nice bloke to boot. Monk is a charlatan

I’m no fan of Gary Monk but I’d take him over this alexzander meerkat bloke

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 22:21

Hendo
3points
Hendo

Understand that, but the good thing about his time at Patizan is that he got them to Champions League group stages, which required 3 knockout rounds, so there is a positive for sure.

Would you like some more straws to clutch at?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 25 Aug 2020 23:56

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded So, random theory time.

Howe, in his capacity as EFL board member knows that the EFL has decided to "freeze" FFP this season given COVID i.e. last season's and this seasons accounts will not have any baring on FFP calculations as they accept that clubs are working with contracts signed under very different financial circumstances and a large number of clubs will miss the target due to decreased income - i.e. less matchday income etc.

Knowing this, he advised the owners. They make the decision that, as they have the money, it is now or never to push for the PL - Howe, whilst not completely disagreeing, he doesn't feel like he can stay in the CEO role whilst the club takes this gamble, due to his EFL board seat (potential conflict of interest) so agrees to step down but remain at the club as Vice-Chairman, so that he (and the club) retain that spot on the board but focus, officially, on non-football club interests.

The owners employ one of their guys as a CEO but he is essentially just a man in a seat - the owners (with support from Howe, one of the reasons he stayed at the club) still run the football business side alongside Bowen - who is widely respected by the owners.

As the club hope to push for promotion, they feel they need a "name" manager to attract players who can make that possible - they have approached and are in discussions with a particular manager and an agreement is reached - Bowen is asked to move back upstairs as the club are impressed with the work he has done to reshape the philosophy of the club and want him to continue that work without the distraction of running the first team. His move will only be announced when the new manager can also be announced.

So yeah, probably all complete bollocks but if there really is a "strategic review" in place then given that Howe hasn't left this would fit. Either way, nowt we can do about it and more important things to worry about.

I appreciate the quality of thought that's gone into producing this and I admire the optimism.

But I can't buy into it. We lurch from one disaster to another. These are the people who refused to sell Moore, Loader and Swift. Who appointed Gomes. Who oversaw our wage bill leaping to over 200% of turnover AFTER getting rid of Gourlay, the man who took the blame for all our previous issues and misspending.

There might have been some logic or value in this if it was done once we were safe.orthe season officially ended.

But after all the oocs have been sorted,a signing has been made and training has resumed with about 2 weeks til season start?

Yet another managerial change and disruption. We need stability and recovery.

I have zero faith in the owners, and given how quickly the recent rumours have come from nowhere and been proven I see little reason to be sceptical about Bowen being moved on and some guy with shit all quality getting the manager's job.

Almost feeĺs like I've called this.

I hope you have

A bit like the way i deal with Covid news I am choosing to believe it!

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 26 Aug 2020 00:49

SouthDownsRoyal
3points
SouthDownsRoyal

I’m no fan of Gary Monk but I’d take him over this alexzander meerkat bloke

I think it is Nigel Howe’s master plan. Dai bankrupts himself funding another bunch of no name players from shit leagues, some rich local business man (let’s call him John) rides to the rescue, reappoints Nigel as CEO and then appoints Brian McDermott as manager and SSC as DoF.

What a plan! I’m in.

928 posts