Season 20/21

928 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Season 20/21

by andrew1957 » 04 Sep 2020 13:54

Hound heart still sinks every time I see Sone Aluko in that list

At least this is the last time - unless of course he has a brilliant season and we re-sign him. :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Sep 2020 14:22

The more players we sell like Holsgrove the closer we are to him being included in squads. It is terrifying.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2020 15:00

andrew1957

At least this is the last time - unless of course he has a brilliant season and we re-sign him. :lol:

'At least this is the last time' it is then

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Sep 2020 16:51

Old Man Andrews

The more players we sell like Holsgrove the closer we are to him being included in squads. It is terrifying.

With a smaller squad I could see Aluko playing quite a bit this season unless someone takes him off our hands in the next month or we do get in quite a few more players.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2020 17:45

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
kwik-silva
Holsgrove does seem to be the best fit as a back-up Swift. I'm not sure any others have quite the same range of passing, except maybe Olise - but I'm not sure you'd want him in the deeper role. I think we need to bring in another DM anyway, so Holsgrove going isn't too much of an issue as long as that happens.

I suspect there's nothing particularly special about Holsgrove, it's more the drip drip effect and straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Like, I'm not fed up solely because of how Bowen was kicked out, but by the cumulative effect of Adkins, McDermott, Clement and Bowen's sackings and Clarke, Stam, Gomes and Paunovic's hiring alongside the financial state, performances, player releases and sale refusals.

I can't muster the energy to be especially upset by one more highly rated promising youngster I've known of for years being cast off for no particularly good reason though, it's trumped by what's gone before

Yet in a named 26 man squad - 11 players are academy graduates outside of Watson, Smith and Holsgrove who are clearly off.

Of those 11 academy players - McIntyre, Holmes, Olise, Rinohmota, Southwood and Richards are likely to be in or around the 18 most weeks with 4 of them likely starters - McIntyre, Olise, Rino and Richards. I would argue that is a pretty decent return at this level, doubt there are many other clubs who can better that.

Thanks to the work of Clement, Gomes and Bowen we do have a good crop in the squad who were given chances and proved themselves.

There was a period though, which also coincided with what was arguably our most successful Academy group, where we got very few Academy graduates in and the ones we did left fairly soon.

The likes of Cooper, Tanner, Kuhl, Tish, Watson, Hyam, Dickie, Stacey, Fosu, Kelly et al were the generations that won the PL youth trophy and iirc made the final of the FA youth cup but around the time they were coming through is about the time the opportunities for academy graduates were drying up.

Like I say, my big issue isn't the same as Rother's, but I suspect I'm not wrong that it's based on cumulative effect.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Sep 2020 17:48

Fair enough but my point is if is cumulative, reaching the end when 4/11 first team starting spots are realistically Academy prospects seems a strange time to do it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2020 17:49

Stranded Fair enough but my point is if is cumulative, reaching the end when 4/11 first team starting spots are realistically Academy prospects seems a strange time to do it.

Well rother is a strange guy.

It's a strange post in general given he declared years ago he'd given up and goes to non league instead.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 04 Sep 2020 19:51

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal I suspect there's nothing particularly special about Holsgrove, it's more the drip drip effect and straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Like, I'm not fed up solely because of how Bowen was kicked out, but by the cumulative effect of Adkins, McDermott, Clement and Bowen's sackings and Clarke, Stam, Gomes and Paunovic's hiring alongside the financial state, performances, player releases and sale refusals.

I can't muster the energy to be especially upset by one more highly rated promising youngster I've known of for years being cast off for no particularly good reason though, it's trumped by what's gone before

Yet in a named 26 man squad - 11 players are academy graduates outside of Watson, Smith and Holsgrove who are clearly off.

Of those 11 academy players - McIntyre, Holmes, Olise, Rinohmota, Southwood and Richards are likely to be in or around the 18 most weeks with 4 of them likely starters - McIntyre, Olise, Rino and Richards. I would argue that is a pretty decent return at this level, doubt there are many other clubs who can better that.

Thanks to the work of Clement, Gomes and Bowen we do have a good crop in the squad who were given chances and proved themselves.

There was a period though, which also coincided with what was arguably our most successful Academy group, where we got very few Academy graduates in and the ones we did left fairly soon.

The likes of Cooper, Tanner, Kuhl, Tish, Watson, Hyam, Dickie, Stacey, Fosu, Kelly et al were the generations that won the PL youth trophy and iirc made the final of the FA youth cup but around the time they were coming through is about the time the opportunities for academy graduates were drying up.

Like I say, my big issue isn't the same as Rother's, but I suspect I'm not wrong that it's based on cumulative effect.

How many academy players are in squad announced today then? I'd say at the time on your list only Stacey and Fosu were mistakes to release. We got decent money for Tish and he wanted to go and what's he done since? Should have cashed in on Loader too for that matter when Wolves came in. What's Kuhl done even when he was fit? Cooper maybe but he wasn't the type of player Stam wanted and he won't do anything away from a side like Millwall. Dickie - had loads of cover at the time he was probably 5th choice.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Sep 2020 19:54

Aren't you asking a question that's answered in stranded's post?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Sep 2020 20:13

Goal for Puscas for Romania

Nice start for him

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2020 00:23

Hound Goal for Puscas for Romania

Nice start for him

If he gets balls played into feet inside the box he scores, simple. We didn't play to his strengths nearly enough last season and he got a fair amount of flack for it. He reminds me a bit of Adam Le Fondre in terms of his ability to be in the right place at the right time and his movement inside the 18 yard box.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Sep 2020 07:33

Celta Vigo is a step up for Holsgrove. After what happened with Loader I don’t think we’d risk rejecting a decent offer (maybe £1m?). He’s great to watch but as others have said, hard to see where he fits in with Swift and Olise around.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Sep 2020 08:06

SCIAG Celta Vigo is a step up for Holsgrove. After what happened with Loader I don’t think we’d risk rejecting a decent offer (maybe £1m?). He’s great to watch but as others have said, hard to see where he fits in with Swift and Olise around.

He would have fit quite nicely on the bench. We need decent squad players, preferably young ones who can grow and build experience. Holsgrove would have been perfect for that but nobody can begrudge him a move to La Liga.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 09:29

Old Man Andrews
Hound Goal for Puscas for Romania

Nice start for him

If he gets balls played into feet inside the box he scores, simple. We didn't play to his strengths nearly enough last season and he got a fair amount of flack for it. He reminds me a bit of Adam Le Fondre in terms of his ability to be in the right place at the right time and his movement inside the 18 yard box.

Agreed. He missed a few chances early on in the season but apart from that was feeding off scraps as we created so little in most games.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 09:30

SCIAG Celta Vigo is a step up for Holsgrove. After what happened with Loader I don’t think we’d risk rejecting a decent offer (maybe £1m?). He’s great to watch but as others have said, hard to see where he fits in with Swift and Olise around.

Just haven’t seen enough of him to comment but am surprised Celta Vigo are interested.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2020 09:44

Zip

Just haven’t seen enough of him to comment but am surprised Celta Vigo are interested.

He's very comfortable on the ball and seems to have very good awareness of what's going on around him. Good range of passing.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 05 Sep 2020 10:15

Snowflake Royal
Zip

He's very comfortable on the ball and seems to have very good awareness of what's going on around him. Good range of passing.

The biggest question though is: is he as effective as the mighty Paul Holsgrove?! Remember him popping up with a few big goals for us

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Sep 2020 10:55

Notts Royal
Snowflake Royal
Zip

The biggest question though is: is he as effective as the mighty Paul Holsgrove?! Remember him popping up with a few big goals for us

https://www.royals.org/matdoc/040295.html

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Sep 2020 11:24

Snowflake Royal
Zip

Then it’s a shame if he goes.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 05 Sep 2020 11:32

I wonder who has made the decision to sell holsgrove. Bowen before he left? Has paunovich seen enough already, or is the owner happy to sell anyone he doesn't see as being a 'name'?

928 posts