Season 20/21

928 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Season 20/21

by Sutekh » 25 Jul 2020 20:36

Season 20/21 will begin on 12 September and be “condensed” so that is completes on 8/9 May with play offs back to their usual place over spring bank holiday weekend.

The bad news is that league clubs will continue to face big financial problems with the first month continuing to be played behind closed doors and after that grounds may only be allowed up to 33% of capacity (so only 8000 or so would be allowed to go to the Mad Stad) depending on the risk assessments each club would be obliged to undertake at their expense (the lowest capacity expected would be 17% of capacity which is approx 4080 in the case of the Mad Stad). I imagine that these limitations may be reviewed as the season progresses and the government’s interpretation of what is and isn’t allowed changes.

In addition to the risk assessment clubs will have to incur further expense in having to put up additional signage, stewarding, police costs (as necessary) and even temperature checks. Further to this is may be that each supporter applying for a ticket would have to complete a personal risk assessment. Wondering if some clubs may even decide to opt to remain behind closed doors.

Source is The Times (subscription needed) and repeated further by talksport at

https://talksport.com/football/737164/c ... s-october/

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Season 20/21

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Jul 2020 21:39

ho hum

S$y will cover the those deficits

They have (after all) created this unsustainable monster across the leagues

Suck it up

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 25 Jul 2020 21:59

Thanks Sutekh, hadn’t seen this. I mentioned a few weeks ago on AE about improvements to the HVAC systems in the concourses; which will no doubt be part of any RA’s.

I’m no expert but I think the layout of our concourses will lend itself to ‘one-way’ in - out to seating areas quite well. Other clubs will struggle implementing a one way system without incurring costs for segregation’s etc.

Guess we will just have to wait and see What PHE guidance will be, but fairly confident our costs won’t be as much as some others.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 25 Jul 2020 22:06

To be fair some of our gates last season were not much larger than 8000 we might have to find people to make the numbers up.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Jul 2020 08:59

Wondering if face covering will be mandatory when crowds are allowed back?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 26 Jul 2020 09:34

windermereROYAL Wondering if face covering will be mandatory when crowds are allowed back?

Why are you suggesting they won't be? Of course they will.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 26 Jul 2020 09:35

Well the Aussies allowed first sports events crowds back from last month. No masks.

Amongst a few other things the permissible sales is 25% of stadia capacity, max of 10,000, with social distancing, spaces between seats

Wake me up when September ends.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Jul 2020 09:42

royalp-we Well the Aussies allowed first sports events crowds back from last month. No masks.

Amongst a few other things the permissible sales is 25% of stadia capacity, max of 10,000, with social distancing, spaces between seats

Wake me up when this year ends.

Corrected for you.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 26 Jul 2020 09:59

8000 season ticket holders ? No away fans ? Sit where you like as long as your two seats apart. .I bags the Dai’s seats

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 26 Jul 2020 18:00

Football as we know it is finished , couple of years there'll just be the Premiershite and the Championship aka Premiershite League B , Div 1 and Div 2 are sadly doomed

Covid provided the biggest rusty nail in the biggest coffin we could ever imagine

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 26 Jul 2020 19:56

Of course there will be lower divisions as well. Yeah there might be clubs going under but there will be different clubs to replace them

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 26 Jul 2020 21:16

Gunny Fishcake Football as we know it is finished , couple of years there'll just be the Premiershite and the Championship aka Premiershite League B , Div 1 and Div 2 are sadly doomed

Covid provided the biggest rusty nail in the biggest coffin we could ever imagine

Well you`re a little ray of sunshine aren`t you?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jul 2020 06:27

Gunny Fishcake Football as we know it is finished , couple of years there'll just be the Premiershite and the Championship aka Premiershite League B , Div 1 and Div 2 are sadly doomed

Lower leagues may become regionalised and/or part time but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jul 2020 09:48

Stranded

Lower leagues may become regionalised and/or part time but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not sure which of these posts is worse. Needless to say I think they’re both unrealistic.

I think a reasonable medium-term worst case is lots of clubs having serious financial difficulty and the industry either receiving government support or going through a very tumultuous time. But in the long run, people will still like football and there will still be huge amounts of money in the game.

If Fishcake’s worst fears did come true, and the Championship became a semi-pro, regionalised league, then that would be a total disaster, with a huge drop in playing standards. The Championship would become like its rugby equivalent, a complete non-competition. It would no longer be a worthwhile place for young players to develop, it would be impossible to attract a decent standard of player from abroad, and fan interest would inevitably decline in favour of the remaining professional competition.

As I said, I don’t think that scenario is realistic, but it would be a disaster if true.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Jul 2020 10:13

SCIAG
Stranded

Not sure which of these posts is worse. Needless to say I think they’re both unrealistic.

I think a reasonable medium-term worst case is lots of clubs having serious financial difficulty and the industry either receiving government support or going through a very tumultuous time. But in the long run, people will still like football and there will still be huge amounts of money in the game.

If Fishcake’s worst fears did come true, and the Championship became a semi-pro, regionalised league, then that would be a total disaster, with a huge drop in playing standards. The Championship would become like its rugby equivalent, a complete non-competition. It would no longer be a worthwhile place for young players to develop, it would be impossible to attract a decent standard of player from abroad, and fan interest would inevitably decline in favour of the remaining professional competition.

As I said, I don’t think that scenario is realistic, but it would be a disaster if true.

By lower leagues, I meant L1 and L2 - there are often calls for it and if income remains low for anything more than the short term, then ways to decrease costs should be looked at. Realistically, what benefit is there in Exeter travelling to Carlisle or Barrow for a League 2 match?

You either have to stick 20 players and addtional coaching staff in a coach for an 11 hour round trip or they have to factor in a hotel stay and either train/flight costs - beomes unneccessarily expensive. Even with fans back - a trip like that is hardly enticing to any travelling fans. Localised leagues at a professional/semi professional L1/L2 level (or just L2 level) may have the impact of increasing attendences and seeing more local rivalries building - try and factor fixture lists so that the bigger games are scheduled for key dates and you have a potential receipe for increased income.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jul 2020 11:00

Stranded
SCIAG
Stranded

By lower leagues, I meant L1 and L2 - there are often calls for it and if income remains low for anything more than the short term, then ways to decrease costs should be looked at. Realistically, what benefit is there in Exeter travelling to Carlisle or Barrow for a League 2 match?

You either have to stick 20 players and addtional coaching staff in a coach for an 11 hour round trip or they have to factor in a hotel stay and either train/flight costs - beomes unneccessarily expensive. Even with fans back - a trip like that is hardly enticing to any travelling fans. Localised leagues at a professional/semi professional L1/L2 level (or just L2 level) may have the impact of increasing attendences and seeing more local rivalries building - try and factor fixture lists so that the bigger games are scheduled for key dates and you have a potential receipe for increased income.

Regionalisation alone wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea. Going semi-professional would be, particularly at a time when more and more clubs are professional. League One and Two going semi-pro would mean thousands of job losses.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 27 Jul 2020 11:21

as soon as crowds are allowed back in, there will be money back in the game. It all hinges on that really

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Jul 2020 11:24

SCIAG
Stranded

Other than foreign players not coming, why would playing standards drop?

It's not as if going part time would mean all the football league pros would vanish and the only players available would be Maidenhead standard.

People also haven't realised that signing players from Europe is due to become incredibly difficult when we fully leave the EU, as hardly any of the ones playing in the football league would qualify for a work permit.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 27 Jul 2020 12:01

I suppose the question is how much the PL needs the lower leagues. A lot of talent is developed in the lower levels, PL clubs can use it to loan out youngsters. Promotion and relegation adds excitement to English football and cab result in changes in the top division and feel good stories.

But the financial gaps, mostly between PL and Championship but also between Championship and L1, are not sustainable. They were unsustainable long before Covid, which has shone a light on the issues which were already there. The current parachute payments solution only seems to exacerbate it.

So either the top of the football hierarchy needs to share its riches better, or this crisis could be the one that results in regional leagues with fewer professional clubs. Sadly I can see it being the latter; the PL will cope without the lower leagues thriving. We may see more partnerships too; Stockport or another Greater Manchester side could effectively become Man City II.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jul 2020 14:48

tmesis
SCIAG
Stranded

Other than foreign players not coming, why would playing standards drop?

It's not as if going part time would mean all the football league pros would vanish and the only players available would be Maidenhead standard.

People also haven't realised that signing players from Europe is due to become incredibly difficult when we fully leave the EU, as hardly any of the ones playing in the football league would qualify for a work permit.

People who dedicate their whole lives to something are going to outperform people who have to fit sport around their working lives. We see this whenever a sport professionalises, either historically with football/cricket/rugby or today with sports that get lottery funding.

John Swift isn’t going to forget how to pass a ball overnight, but Gabe Osho will be a much better players if he spends every day training than if he spends five days a week stacking shelves and training in the evening.

928 posts