What goes on inside our owners' heads?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What goes on inside our owners' heads?

by Simmops » 28 Aug 2020 14:15

Hound
Old Man Andrews
Hound Is one of the more random tangents on the TB

tbf it is better content than normal for the TB....

You say that but AE is dire atm. Give me the TB any day

It must be because I am not posting as much

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 Aug 2020 16:03

Millsy Orientals make very good workers, for example.
If it's racist to post a general statement like "Orientals make very bad workers" then surely it's racist to post the opposite?

I'm sure there are good and bad Oriental workers of different nationalities, ethnic races, religions and genders - you can't just hire someone because they are oriental anymore than you can refuse to hire one for the same reason.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 28 Aug 2020 19:36

As well as the obvious public unrest, things are an absolute mess with the back room staff at the stadium too, even before the disruption of the pandemic. Based on some of the information I’m receiving, the owners have gone from honestly naive to just being negligible.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 28 Aug 2020 19:56

URZZZZZZZZ As well as the obvious public unrest, things are an absolute mess with the back room staff at the stadium too, even before the disruption of the pandemic. Based on some of the information I’m receiving, the owners have gone from honestly naive to just being negligible.

‘Negligible’ ?
What do you mean by back room staff ? Coaches or office people ?
Is there much public unrest ? Genuine question !
I’ve seen a bit of over reaction (even saw a guy who claimed his father had not renewed his ST in protest....) but what are people restless about ?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 28 Aug 2020 20:24

URZZZZZZZZ As well as the obvious public unrest, things are an absolute mess with the back room staff at the stadium too, even before the disruption of the pandemic. Based on some of the information I’m receiving, the owners have gone from honestly naive to just being negligible.

Why would the owners being getting directly involved in backroom staff issues? Surely that would have been Howe's remit?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Aug 2020 20:48

Forbury Lion
If it's racist to post a general statement like "Orientals make very bad workers" then surely it's racist to post the opposite?

I'm sure there are good and bad Oriental workers of different nationalities, ethnic races, religions and genders - you can't just hire someone because they are oriental anymore than you can refuse to hire one for the same reason.

I’m not racist because I’m saying they’re good. You’re racist for saying they’re bad.

elrey

by elrey » 29 Aug 2020 06:21

Millsy
Forbury Lion

I’m not racist because I’m saying they’re good. You’re racist for saying they’re bad.

Kind of sounds like "racist" is saying something bad about someone who isn't from your own group. Quite sure that's not the definition.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 29 Aug 2020 06:30

Nameless

‘Negligible’ ?
I’ve seen a bit of over reaction (even saw a guy who claimed his father had not renewed his ST in protest....) but what are people restless about ?

The info I know is related to the office people, however it wouldn’t surprise me if the same is applicable to the Academy/coaching branches of the club. As far as I know there is no marketing resource at the club currently, and several other departments have had people leave and not been replaced. In terms of staff member numbers, we are running at around the size of a League 2/National League club currently.

This all boils down to that awful stat where we are spending £220 odd quid for every £100 we bring in. Not only will this eventually see us fall foul of FFP, it could ruin us one day. I know a lot of that is down to players coming in, but it’s also due to the lack of activity in trying to lift attendance numbers (in normal circumstances).

Esteban

by Esteban » 29 Aug 2020 07:12

URZZZZZZZZ
Nameless

‘Negligible’ ?

The info I know is related to the office people, however it wouldn’t surprise me if the same is applicable to the Academy/coaching branches of the club. As far as I know there is no marketing resource at the club currently, and several other departments have had people leave and not been replaced. In terms of staff member numbers, we are running at around the size of a League 2/National League club currently.

This all boils down to that awful stat where we are spending £220 odd quid for every £100 we bring in. Not only will this eventually see us fall foul of FFP, it could ruin us one day. I know a lot of that is down to players coming in, but it’s also due to the lack of activity in trying to lift attendance numbers (in normal circumstances).

The footballing side of things has been unstable and messy for a while now, but away from the pitch, I don't think we can say there has been lack of activity. Certainly not one that would contribute to falling attendances anyway. Tickets are reasonably priced, the food around the ground is better and from a local company, the match day experience is as good as it has been for some time. I think falling attendances are more to do with the rubbish served up on the pitch, than a lack of effort off of it.

To be fair to the owners, they have delivered a few great things off the pitch. Their record on footballing matters is dreadful though. I just live in hope that Dayong Pang will be the right person for the job and is able to balance the owners' ambitions against the need for stability behind the scenes. I guess we'll find out over the coming months.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Aug 2020 08:41

elrey
Millsy
Forbury Lion If it's racist to post a general statement like "Orientals make very bad workers" then surely it's racist to post the opposite?

Kind of sounds like "racist" is saying something bad about someone who isn't from your own group. Quite sure that's not the definition.

Urgh.

Sorry can't keep this minitrolling up any longer it feels wrong. Of course you're both right, which is the point.

A reference to David Brent. Come on how can you be a fan of Reading and not know every line from The Office? :wink:

elrey

by elrey » 29 Aug 2020 09:12

Millsy
elrey
Millsy

Urgh.

Sorry can't keep this minitrolling up any longer it feels wrong. Of course you're both right, which is the point.

A reference to David Brent. Come on how can you be a fan of Reading and not know every line from The Office? :wink:

Wasn't the office set in Slough?

"racist" is one of those attack words people use to get what they want. As soon as you've said it, then everyone gets scared and then they're forced to agree with you. I don't buy it.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 30 Aug 2020 08:58

Millsy
Forbury Lion

I'm not saying they're bad, I'm saying it would be racist to say Orientals are bad, so it should be racist to say they are good because in both cases it's racial profiling/sterotyping.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Aug 2020 20:13

The owners have done some great stuff for the fans. Great ST prices. Generous with the offer to ST holders for the remaining matches last season, free coach travel to away games, subsidising Cup tickets and Bearwood.

Their biggest failing has been the complete lack of communication with the supporters
No explanation for why Bowen was effectively removed from his post. No comment about our financial position in relation to FFP and no comment as to why Howe was removed from his post.

It’s about time we heard from them.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Aug 2020 22:37

I'd happily never hear anything from them if they ran the club like they had a oxf*rd clue.

madreadingfan

by madreadingfan » 31 Aug 2020 09:10

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 31 Aug 2020 19:23

Reckon Madejski may have to bail us out a 3rd time when the owners get bored and walk away after another 20th place finish? It may be wishful thinking, but he put in years of work to make this club what it is. I'm sure he'd hate to see it go to the wall.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Aug 2020 19:24

WestYorksRoyal Reckon Madejski may have to bail us out a 3rd time when the owners get bored and walk away after another 20th place finish? It may be wishful thinking, but he put in years of work to make this club what it is. I'm sure he'd hate to see it go to the wall.

He’s getting on a bit. I doubt he would want the hassle any more.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 31 Aug 2020 19:46

Do you mean negligent?

Because anybody who has the power to ditch the people in the most important jobs is hardly negligible.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 31 Aug 2020 19:59

Snowflake Royal I'd happily never hear anything from them if they ran the club like they had a oxf*rd clue.

+1