What goes on inside our owners' heads?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

What goes on inside our owners' heads?

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 10:35

Genuine question. They clearly have money and, to a certain extent, good intentions. They back managers in the transfer market, they have invested in Bearwood, they put on free away travel last season.

But, their track record with big decisions is, quite frankly, shit. And we're running out of road. Many more shit decisions and we could be in L1 with the club completely unsustainable and reliant upon owners for financial life support.

How do wealthy business people who have been successful in other walks of life make such a mess here? Football is clearly a new market to them, so the obvious action to take is to surround themselves with trusted people who know better. But they don't. Are they arrogant? Do they not trust the right people? Will they stick around if/when it all goes to shit?

Old Man Andrews

Re: What goes on inside our owners' heads?

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Aug 2020 10:36

Well worth a new thread for this groundbreaking insight.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 10:36

Let’s hope the owners take this thread into account on any plans moving forward. :wink:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 10:40

WoodleyRoyal Let’s hope the owners take this thread into account on any plans moving forward. :wink:

I reckon they will. The thread was titled in order to capture their attention.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 10:51

WestYorksRoyal
WoodleyRoyal Let’s hope the owners take this thread into account on any plans moving forward. :wink:

I reckon they will. The thread was titled in order to capture their attention.

Good thinking. They may act differently now

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 25 Aug 2020 14:04

"I've just put in 12 mill in on top of all the other dosh since half-time in the play-off v Fulham (three years ago) and so far I've got f-all bang for me buck. I want some glory and fame and I want it now I don't wanna be aiming at 10th in the Champ. I mean, look at f-ing Wolves, Chinese-owned, threw the bank at it a few years back and now in the QFs in Europe. I dunno what's holding all these Reading guys back. I've got all the money you need, just get on and spend it, on the kind of players I like."

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Aug 2020 16:05

Fox Talbot "I've just put in 12 mill in on top of all the other dosh since half-time in the play-off v Fulham (three years ago) and so far I've got f-all bang for me buck. I want some glory and fame and I want it now I don't wanna be aiming at 10th in the Champ. I mean, look at f-ing Wolves, Chinese-owned, threw the bank at it a few years back and now in the QFs in Europe. I dunno what's holding all these Reading guys back. I've got all the money you need, just get on and spend it, on the kind of players I like."

You been chatting to Mr Dai?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Aug 2020 07:19

Perhaps they are running the club how they run their businesses? - Maybe they do not yet see that business and sport are not the same thing?

For all the chopping and changing, if we'd just stuck with any one manager and backed them we'd probably be in a better position now both financially and in league position.

It's even more difficult for me to renew my season ticket now, Covid 19 and the prospect of missing half the games due to lockdown and watching the rest in a socially distanced 1/4 full stadium was one thing but not knowing what i'm signing up to watch in terms of management style, players, club management philosophy etc is perhaps the final nail.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Aug 2020 07:33

Forbury Lion Perhaps they are running the club how they run their businesses? - Maybe they do not yet see that business and sport are not the same thing?

For all the chopping and changing, if we'd just stuck with any one manager and backed them we'd probably be in a better position now both financially and in league position.

It's even more difficult for me to renew my season ticket now, Covid 19 and the prospect of missing half the games due to lockdown and watching the rest in a socially distanced 1/4 full stadium was one thing but not knowing what i'm signing up to watch in terms of management style, players, club management philosophy etc is perhaps the final nail.

Which of our managers would you have liked us to stick with ?
Would knowing what style of football and philosophy Stam had have encouraged you to renew your ST ?
Or would you have been happy with the happy smiley Portuguese chap failing to motivate his team ?
As fans we have never had any guarantee which players would play in any game (every summer the players change, it’s nothing new and nothing Unique to current owners).

elrey

by elrey » 27 Aug 2020 07:52

WestYorksRoyal Genuine question. They clearly have money and, to a certain extent, good intentions. They back managers in the transfer market, they have invested in Bearwood, they put on free away travel last season.

But, their track record with big decisions is, quite frankly, shit. And we're running out of road. Many more shit decisions and we could be in L1 with the club completely unsustainable and reliant upon owners for financial life support.

How do wealthy business people who have been successful in other walks of life make such a mess here? Football is clearly a new market to them, so the obvious action to take is to surround themselves with trusted people who know better. But they don't. Are they arrogant? Do they not trust the right people? Will they stick around if/when it all goes to shit?

This is typical Chinese business management decisions. They don't live in reality, they don't understand what they're doing.

They get some bright idea which is the worst idea ever, then they tell everyone to do it and be enthusiastic about it, and expect it to work.

In China you don't become successful because you're good at business per se. You become good because you know who to take to dinner, who to offer the right cigarettes, how to impress government officials, how to sweeten the deal. Nothing functions logically and they gt rich from it.

To be honest, seeing what's happening, the club is SCREWED. We'll be third division within five seasons and that's if we're lucky.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Aug 2020 07:53

elrey
WestYorksRoyal Genuine question. They clearly have money and, to a certain extent, good intentions. They back managers in the transfer market, they have invested in Bearwood, they put on free away travel last season.

This is typical Chinese business management decisions. They don't live in reality, they don't understand what they're doing.

They get some bright idea which is the worst idea ever, then they tell everyone to do it and be enthusiastic about it, and expect it to work.

In China you don't become successful because you're good at business per se. You become good because you know who to take to dinner, who to offer the right cigarettes, how to impress government officials, how to sweeten the deal. Nothing functions logically and they gt rich from it.

To be honest, seeing what's happening, the club is SCREWED. We'll be third division within five seasons and that's if we're lucky.

Calm down racist.

elrey

by elrey » 27 Aug 2020 08:00

Old Man Andrews
elrey

Calm down racist.

I've lived in China for 8 years, I work in China, my wife is Chinese. I've worked for many Chinese bosses and every single one of then has been SHIT.

I'm quitting my current job in 5 weeks because the new boss came in, and EVERY SINGLE LEGAL FOREIGN MEMBER OF STAFF will have left by October 1st. The boss tries to tell me how to do my job, but has no clue, he also can't do his management job, he hides somewhere else and is never seen by anyone who isn't high up management (in a small company).

I left my previous company because a new boss came in and EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF STAFF quit within 6 months. The company was empty, they had no one to do anything. They had a member of staff who was so successful and told her she had to do this, that and the other, when they didn't need to do anything, she could clearly do her job amazingly.

The job before that I left before that had the boss walk in while I was with loads of customers and started screaming and shouting at me in front of them and me, and she had no idea why she was screaming and shouting either.

So, before you tell people they're racists, maybe you need to ask yourself if you're making a complete and utter forking fool out of yourself.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 27 Aug 2020 08:02

Forbury Lion Perhaps they are running the club how they run their businesses? - Maybe they do not yet see that business and sport are not the same thing?

Are you suggesting if we’d just stuck with Brian McDermott all those years ago, we wouldn’t have gone through all this turmoil?! :lol:
(I know it wasn’t Dai who got rid of him, but as you’ve indicated, hiring & firing is a trait of the modern owner)

And your last paragraph highlights exactly why our attendance has been dropping year on year. The lack of long-term plan rubs off on the fans and has a detrimental effect to the interest of those who follow the club.

I moved out of Reading 4 years ago, and although I miss going to the Mad Stad dearly, I can’t help but think I’ve seen the glory days, and feel sorry for those of you who are faced with this on a weekly basis!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Aug 2020 08:12

elrey
Old Man Andrews
elrey

Calm down racist.

I've lived in China for 8 years, I work in China, my wife is Chinese. I've worked for many Chinese bosses and every single one of then has been SHIT.

I'm quitting my current job in 5 weeks because the new boss came in, and EVERY SINGLE LEGAL FOREIGN MEMBER OF STAFF will have left by October 1st. The boss tries to tell me how to do my job, but has no clue, he also can't do his management job, he hides somewhere else and is never seen by anyone who isn't high up management (in a small company).

I left my previous company because a new boss came in and EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF STAFF quit within 6 months. The company was empty, they had no one to do anything. They had a member of staff who was so successful and told her she had to do this, that and the other, when they didn't need to do anything, she could clearly do her job amazingly.

The job before that I left before that had the boss walk in while I was with loads of customers and started screaming and shouting at me in front of them and me, and she had no idea why she was screaming and shouting either.

So, before you tell people they're racists, maybe you need to ask yourself if you're making a complete and utter forking fool out of yourself.

"THEY don't live in reality"

"THEY don't understand what they're doing"

"THEY get some bright idea which is the worst idea ever"

"then THEY tell everyone to do it and be enthusiastic about it, and expect it to work"

Your use of the word "they" indicates you are making your derogatory statement against an entire nation, you are judging every Chinese person in the same way. Your post is at the least full of bitterness and hatred based upon your own personal experience.

I couldn't give a toss who you are married to, it doesn't automatically make you not racist.

elrey

by elrey » 27 Aug 2020 08:18

Old Man Andrews
elrey
Old Man Andrews Calm down racist.

"THEY don't live in reality"

"THEY don't understand what they're doing"

"THEY get some bright idea which is the worst idea ever"

"then THEY tell everyone to do it and be enthusiastic about it, and expect it to work"

Your use of the word "they" indicates you are making your derogatory statement against an entire nation, you are judging every Chinese person in the same way. Your post is at the least full of bitterness and hatred based upon your own personal experience.

I couldn't give a toss who you are married to, it doesn't automatically make you not racist.

Oh, I see you're one of those. Not much point in talking to you, is there? No doubt most of the world is a racist to you. "Would you like black coffee" "oxf*rd RACIST, I'M OUTRAGED, RAHHHHHHH"

Bye.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 27 Aug 2020 08:24

The brain advises and controls all vital functions of the body. it is the seat of intelligence, it helps us to think, remember and enables us to reason. It controls and coordinates muscle activities and also maintains body balance.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Aug 2020 09:09

Nameless

Which of our managers would you have liked us to stick with ?
Would knowing what style of football and philosophy Stam had have encouraged you to renew your ST ?
Or would you have been happy with the happy smiley Portuguese chap failing to motivate his team ?
As fans we have never had any guarantee which players would play in any game (every summer the players change, it’s nothing new and nothing Unique to current owners).

Adkins
McDermott
Clement
Bowen

Or hired an actual decent experienced one at some point worth sticking with.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Aug 2020 09:33

its just a convenient way for them to launder money
they couldnt give a oxf*rd about the club

and the club is already completely unsustainable and reliant upon owners for financial life support.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 27 Aug 2020 10:09

elrey

Zhonghua? Paper pack specifically.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Aug 2020 10:35

My guess is they want to turn the Madejski into a massive all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurant. I'm all for that.