CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

434 posts
SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: (Soon to be) CONFIMRED - some kind of Serbian bloke

by SouthDownsRoyal » 26 Aug 2020 18:19

Gunny Fishcake If this wasn't our club that is a laughing stock it would be funny, if you think of our fall from grace since JM sold out to the Russian con man it's quite shocking. In a way it's a shame we don't have a smaller ground as our place is going to be half empty and souless for years to come. I'll probably get abused and told good riddance, but after thirty five unbroken years as a season ticket holder I'm done with the club. I'll still watch them probably more away than home, but I've had it with this current lot from top to bottom , it's rotten to the core, with the exception on Kingsley Royal.

Queensley royal is also exempt from this

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

Re: (Soon to be) CONFIMRED - Aleksandar Stanojević

by Nameless » 26 Aug 2020 18:24

From Despair To Where?
Hound
From Despair To Where? Is there actually any substance in the rumours of Bowen moving upstairs other than a few local journos spaffing about on Twitter?

Bowen's done an OK job as manager and I think he's good for the club so actually seeing him move to a role with a bit more job security wouldn't be a to bad as long as we replaced him with someone with a bit of nous.

One thing for sure though, the level of clarity and communication from the club is appalling.

tbf, don't know why they should be giving us a running commentary of what they are doing. They gave the news about Howe.

Sure they'll announce it as soon as its all sorted.

No, but they could make a statement clarifying Howe's move and confirming that Bowen is moving upstairs to work as DoF or Sporting Director alongside a new, as yet unappointed first team head coach. I appreciate it's probably lip service but it would knock all the conjecture and bullshit on social media on the head. Some clarification would be helpful because the majority of fans seem bemused and pissed off and that doesn't reflect well on them.

They made a statement clarifying Howe’s role. What more do you want ?
There seems little point issueing anything more until they appoint whoever is coming in, at which point I would expect any announcement to cover the structure of the footballing side of the club.
If they issued a statement every time Twittergot it’s knickers in a twist they would need their own 24 hour rolling news channel....
Whatever they say won’t stop people moaning / speculating. This is shown by the fact that despite Howe’s role being explained you still want it explaining !

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 26 Aug 2020 18:29

Old Man Andrews
Gunny Fishcake If this wasn't our club that is a laughing stock it would be funny, if you think of our fall from grace since JM sold out to the Russian con man it's quite shocking. In a way it's a shame we don't have a smaller ground as our place is going to be half empty and souless for years to come. I'll probably get abused and told good riddance, but after thirty five unbroken years as a season ticket holder I'm done with the club. I'll still watch them probably more away than home, but I've had it with this current lot from top to bottom , it's rotten to the core, with the exception on Kingsley Royal.

TBH there are those sexual assault allegations against Kingsley so you can probably throw him in with the rest of them.

:D

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Aug 2020 18:42

Maneki Neko possession football is shit

It shouldn't have to be, but given almost any manager described as wanting to play it appears to be a hopelessly stupid incompetent, it's hard to argue in practice.

It's basically short hand for slow, plodding and aimless these days.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Aug 2020 18:45

Nameless
From Despair To Where?
Hound
tbf, don't know why they should be giving us a running commentary of what they are doing. They gave the news about Howe.

No, but they could make a statement clarifying Howe's move and confirming that Bowen is moving upstairs to work as DoF or Sporting Director alongside a new, as yet unappointed first team head coach. I appreciate it's probably lip service but it would knock all the conjecture and bullshit on social media on the head. Some clarification would be helpful because the majority of fans seem bemused and pissed off and that doesn't reflect well on them.

There seems little point issueing anything more until they appoint whoever is coming in, at which point I would expect any announcement to cover the structure of the footballing side of the club.
If they issued a statement every time Twittergot it’s knickers in a twist they would need their own 24 hour rolling news channel....
Whatever they say won’t stop people moaning / speculating. This is shown by the fact that despite Howe’s role being explained you still want it explaining !

I didn't need it explaining, as evidenced by my first post on the issue 2 days ago but clearly there are many who do and then you throw in a lot of bullshit and conjecture by local journos and cryptic statements from employees aluding to trouble behind the scenes and it all adds to a level of suspicion that already exists around the owners' intentions. All this and we're two weeks from the start of the season. So yes, I think a simple statement to re-itterate the reasons behind Howe's move and that the task of first team recruitment is ongoing would help.

Anyway, my position is that I think they got blinded by Gourlay's cv and this new chap is someone they know and trust. Howe was always an interim CEO brought in because he knew the club and he's largely done what was asked if him. He's now back managing the property side of things which is what he's done most of his working life.

If Bowen is moving back upstairs, I think its a good move for him because it's what he was brought to the club to do, I think he's a good influence at the club and it moves him out of the firing line. Maybe this was always the plan but if so, why wasn't this wrapped up 3 weeks ago? The timing is fcuking lousy and its all too familiar for a club desperately lacking stability and it just looks like they haven't got a clue what they are doing.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Aug 2020 19:13

From Despair To Where?
Nameless
From Despair To Where?

I didn't need it explaining, as evidenced by my first post on the issue 2 days ago but clearly there are many who do and then you throw in a lot of bullshit and conjecture by local journos and cryptic statements from employees aluding to trouble behind the scenes and it all adds to a level of suspicion that already exists around the owners' intentions. All this and we're two weeks from the start of the season. So yes, I think a simple statement to re-itterate the reasons behind Howe's move and that the task of first team recruitment is ongoing would help.

Anyway, my position is that I think they got blinded by Gourlay's cv and this new chap is someone they know and trust. Howe was always an interim CEO brought in because he knew the club and he's largely done what was asked if him. He's now back managing the property side of things which is what he's done most of his working life.

If Bowen is moving back upstairs, I think its a good move for him because it's what he was brought to the club to do, I think he's a good influence at the club and it moves him out of the firing line. Maybe this was always the plan but if so, why wasn't this wrapped up 3 weeks ago? The timing is fcuking lousy and its all too familiar for a club desperately lacking stability and it just looks like they haven't got a clue what they are doing.

I would imagine because something concrete has changed in the last week. Maybe Bowen made it clear he wanted to move back upstairs at some point, maybe they got wind of an FFP change late last week so decided to do it now and let Bowen fully focus on a busy month of transfers and not also have to worry about the training. Maybe they don't trust Howe to get deals done.

Maybe the coach/manager they want is only just available or now happy to move to England and he wasn't before.

There are a million reasons why things are changing now and only one of those is that our owners are idiots and the likelihood that Howe and Bowen seem happy to stay in new roles suggest that is the least likely at this stage.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 26 Aug 2020 19:52

I'm not in the "owners are idiots" camp; they got the ball rolling on Bearwood and have fully committed to that and they have invested in the team where and when they can. They clearly have money and want to spend it but are held back by FFP.

My biggest concern with them is that in the 3 years they've owned us, we've had 3 new CEOs and 4, soon to be 5 managers. I can accept that the CEO situation is down to the fall out of 1 bad appointment but we need stability and the more we chop and change, the less I'm convinced "the right man wasn't available" and the more I think they're shit at recruiting. Bowen moving to DoF will help in that respect and I do see how there could be a reasonable plan that makes absolute sense in all of this but we seem to be so scatter gun and keep getting fundamental decisions wrong that you start to lose faith.

Basically I'm flip flopping between "I get what they're doing" and "We're all going to hell".

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 26 Aug 2020 20:57

From Despair To Where? I'm not in the "owners are idiots" camp; they got the ball rolling on Bearwood and have fully committed to that and they have invested in the team where and when they can. They clearly have money and want to spend it but are held back by FFP.

My biggest concern with them is that in the 3 years they've owned us, we've had 3 new CEOs and 4, soon to be 5 managers. I can accept that the CEO situation is down to the fall out of 1 bad appointment but we need stability and the more we chop and change, the less I'm convinced "the right man wasn't available" and the more I think they're shit at recruiting. Bowen moving to DoF will help in that respect and I do see how there could be a reasonable plan that makes absolute sense in all of this but we seem to be so scatter gun and keep getting fundamental decisions wrong that you start to lose faith.

Basically I'm flip flopping between "I get what they're doing" and "We're all going to hell".

I agree completely. It is a bit ironic that years ago all we would have wanted was owners willing to throw millions at the club. Now maybe I am not so sure.
I still hope it works though, as this is the club I support.
Really on the fence like yourself as to where the club is going morally and whether I should support that.

It must be hard for the players all this turmoil aswell, they were all bought to the club under a different managers ethos, that ethos has changed 5 times in the last 3 years. Each player was bought to play under there system and then 6 months later it is a different system. Players that have been here for 3 or 4 managers must wonder which way they put there underwear in the morning there heads are so screwed up. If I had 5 managers in 3 years I would be the same. Whatever they do now they have to stick with it for a while or it is never going to get better. I am worried they will not though.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Aug 2020 09:47

just need to stop oxf*rd about. stop switching things round every year. stop splurging daft money on average or worse players.
bowen was stable, pragmatic and steadied the ship. think he deserved another go with the young/hungry player model hes been talking about.

but oxf*rd all we can do about it, so whoever the oxf*rd they get in will have to do and i hope to god theyre decent and that the players we get in are cheap, good and add balance to the side/fill in gaps in the squad

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 27 Aug 2020 09:48

Maneki Neko just need to stop oxf*rd about. stop switching things round every year. stop splurging daft money on average or worse players.
bowen was stable, pragmatic and steadied the ship. think he deserved another go with the young/hungry player model hes been talking about.

but oxf*rd all we can do about it, so whoever the oxf*rd they get in will have to do and i hope to god theyre decent and that the players we get in are cheap, good and add balance to the side/fill in gaps in the squad

100% agreed, good assessment.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Aug 2020 14:06

From Despair To Where?
Hound
From Despair To Where? Is there actually any substance in the rumours of Bowen moving upstairs other than a few local journos spaffing about on Twitter?

Bowen's done an OK job as manager and I think he's good for the club so actually seeing him move to a role with a bit more job security wouldn't be a to bad as long as we replaced him with someone with a bit of nous.

One thing for sure though, the level of clarity and communication from the club is appalling.

The club have already made a statement clarifying Mr Howe’s change in role

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/a ... -ceo-role/

and any changes in the Mark Bowen’s position will be announced once agreement is reached with all parties concerned, in the meantime MB is still the manager of Reading FC.

Social media should just be taken with a pinch of salt as it’s generally no more than the online equivalent of the mythical “bloke down the pub says”.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 27 Aug 2020 14:14

Sutekh
From Despair To Where?
Hound

The club have already made a statement clarifying Mr Howe’s change in role

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2020/a ... -ceo-role/

and any changes in the Mark Bowen’s position will be announced once agreement is reached with all parties concerned, in the meantime MB is still the manager of Reading FC.

Social media should just be taken with a pinch of salt as it’s generally no more than the online equivalent of the mythical “bloke down the pub says”.

You would think they might tell us about the new CEO though, other than ' he has worked closely with Mr Dai for a number of years'.

Pretty sure Howe and Gourlay were given big write ups

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 27 Aug 2020 14:54

Have we got a new manager yet?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Aug 2020 15:14

LUX Have we got a new manager yet?

At 15:01 Jonathan lo has updated Reading Live with "Reading closing in on Paunovic". so no.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2020 14:01

I like to think, as has been mentioned, this is simply a restructuring of top levels of management to a more “the way they do things at the top clubs in Europe” scenario. This would seem to be borne out by the fact those being “replaced” are just being moved in to other roles and it all appears “friendly”.

Once new bloke signs up then I would expect an official club statement and press conference in which I would hope the local media would ask why these changes have been done now and what are the specific remits for each role.

I can’t see timing being so much of an issue, though doing it as soon as possible after the season was suspended would have been better, as presumably new bloke will be fairly in tune with the current playing style and Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki are still going to be at the club and very able to fill new bloke in on the current squad, its shortcomings and it’s strengths, while negotiations for the buying, loaning and selling of players will continue behind the scenes largely unaffected.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 28 Aug 2020 18:39

Sutekh . This would seem to be borne out by the fact those being “replaced” are just being moved in to other roles and it all appears “friendly”.

Doesn't sound like this is the case, Bowen apparently not happy and not yet agreed to the change of role.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Aug 2020 18:47

Bowen has confirmed to Tim Dellor he has been removed.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 28 Aug 2020 21:17

Old Man Andrews Bowen has confirmed to Tim Dellor he has been removed.

And is "Incandescent" with rage, is how Tim described it. Not so friendly it seems, If Mark walks out it will serve whoever is pulling the strings right. The the new manager will be lost without a Directer of Football helping to guide and advise him about the players and the ways of the Championship. I really am now worried about the future of this club now.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Aug 2020 21:20

....not worried.....just p1ssed off tbf

Revolving doors.

Might just throw away my virtual ST in protest

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Aug 2020 21:37

TalkSport have gone for it on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/talkSPORT/st ... 6531481600

EXCLUSIVE: Veljko Paunović is confrimed as the new manager of #ReadingFC.

- talkSPORT sources understand.

We first revealed that he was the big favourite for the job earlier in the week.

434 posts