CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

434 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CONFIMRED - Veljko Paunović

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 15:17

What happens if we start badly with the new guy?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Aug 2020 15:18

Snowflake Royal What happens if we start badly with the new guy?

Loads of people on twitter will whinge incessantly, then we’ll sack him and hire someone else I imagine

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: (Soon to be) CONFIMRED - some kind of Serbian bloke

by SCIAG » 29 Aug 2020 15:24

royalp-we It’s all just a bit odd. Certainly wouldn’t be so many questions if a Hughton or Howe was the replacement.

It’s an ambitious move and you get the feeling that only a playoff push will be sufficient in the owners eyes.

Ho hum. A good start to the season and all will be forgotten.

#WelcomeVeljko

Don’t think Howe would have taken the manager’s job, and in any case he isn’t a football man.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Aug 2020 15:27

Snowflake Royal
WoodleyRoyal
Ascotexgunner For the first time since Atkins I'm actually 100% behind this guy. I think he is gonna be raise our game significantly.
I think it's a good move by the club. I like Bowen but I just don't feel has has what it takes to take us to a level where we should be with this squad. There I've said it.

I’m glad you did I also have the same view.

Lol both of you have been down on Bowen and wanting him out for months. Don't try this bullshit of "I like him, but this seems a good move"

Oh apologies if it came across like that. I was 100% down on Bowen as you rightly point out- and I still am. I don’t like him. Never warmed to him and I’m glad he’s gone.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 29 Aug 2020 16:41

Hound
Snowflake Royal What happens if we start badly with the new guy?

Loads of people on twitter will whinge incessantly, then we’ll sack him and hire someone else I imagine

If we are not in the Premier League this time next year, we will have another new manager, even if loads of people do not whinge and instead praise him for his efforts to get us within one point of automatic promotion and we lose the play off final (again).

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2020 16:49

Heard a rumour that, if true, originated from a player who left the club this summer that there has been a lot of dressing room discontent going back to February.

If true, it could explain the decision to change managers although, it could also just be sour grapes from a disgruntled ex player.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 17:01

From Despair To Where? Heard a rumour that, if true, originated from a player who left the club this summer that there has been a lot of dressing room discontent going back to February.

If true, it could explain the decision to change managers although, it could also just be sour grapes from a disgruntled ex player.

There should be a lot of dressing room discontent.

There's players performing significantly worse than those earning 2/3/4 times less than them, some not even featuring in the squad. And the manager changes every 9 months with no competent strategy to move forward.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 Aug 2020 17:03

From Despair To Where? Heard a rumour that, if true, originated from a player who left the club this summer that there has been a lot of dressing room discontent going back to February.

Interesting I saw an alleged Training ground incident Happened between Bowen and blackett on Twitter a few months back in regards to blackett s failure to sign a new contract

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2020 17:05

WoodleyRoyal

Interesting I saw an alleged Training ground incident Happened between Bowen and blackett on Twitter a few months back in regards to blackett s failure to sign a new contract

Not Blackett but aluding to a falling out between manager and player(s).

I'm not going to name and shame the player because I can't vouch that it's true but it came from someone who knows the PT who was helping said player maintain fitness over the summer.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Aug 2020 17:11

Perhaps Bowen is going to walk. Given the treatment he has received. Hence the lack of communication from the club.

No U23's manager either.

No public sign of new CEO yet.

Squad in Portugal at a training camp with a cup fixture next Saturday. Complete farce.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2020 17:41

Lower West Perhaps Bowen is going to walk. Given the treatment he has received. Hence the lack of communication from the club.

No U23's manager either.

Squad in Portugal at a training camp with a cup fixture next Saturday. Complete farce.

The Portugal trip about sums up this club. Who thought it was a good idea to fly off to Europe 1 week before the first competitive game, if the government suddenly decide Portugal is dodgy then the entire first team faces 2 weeks isolation. If that happens do Reading get to postpone the Colchester and Derby games?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2020 17:44

Jackson Corner It’s times like this I pine to be back at Elm Park, treading water in the lower leagues. At least we new where we stood and life was a lot simpler. 1971 the club’s 100th anniversary, relegated for the first time. 2021 150 years? :cry:

1971 was the club’s second relegation in the FL, 1931 was the first.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Aug 2020 17:51

Sutekh
Lower West Perhaps Bowen is going to walk. Given the treatment he has received. Hence the lack of communication from the club.

No U23's manager either.

The Portugal trip about sums up this club. Who thought it was a good idea to fly off to Europe 1 week before the first competitive game, if the government suddenly decide Portugal is dodgy then the entire first team faces 2 weeks isolation. If that happens do Reading get to postpone the Colchester and Derby games?

No one told West Ham that the friendly fixture was off!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Aug 2020 17:51

WoodleyRoyal No mention of the length of contract.

Probably rolling monthly contract so he won't cost much to remove :wink:

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 Aug 2020 17:53

Sutekh

No U23's manager either.

Plenty of other Championship clubs are also currently abroad. Bournemouth are also in Portugal and there’ll be contingency plans for a route home with 24hrs notice.

They’ll get the Portimonense friendly out the way and will start jetting players back afterwards.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 29 Aug 2020 18:12

It’s the pure arrogance of Dai that gets me...the arrogance that he expects his club to be promoted and the naiveity in how that goal is achieved. Chucking money doesn’t always work, in fact it rarely works in the Championship. It’s a vastly competitive league and it generally takes years of building. Wolves was a 1 off. He doesn’t understand the English game and fires those who do from their jobs. Utter clown

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2020 18:14

Lower West
Westwood52 Apparently he likes to keep the ball on the deck at all costs

Sounds rather familiar. We create few enough chances as it is.

Caught what various journos said about his teams on BBC Berks

Listening to journalistic comment on BBC Berks earlier about Mr Paunovic’s teams the bits I remember were

1. Teams lack tempo
2. Possession style straight through the middle
3. Prefers 4-2-3-1
4. Tactically no identity as the team tries to adapt to counter the opposition

If all that is true then I think Reading are going to have the same old issues in struggling to create anything and the biggest worry is if there is a lack of tempo, as other teams will just eat you alive.

Anyone else catch any other comments about the style and performance of his teams?

Of course, on the upside, if Reading suddenly manage to acquire 6-8 very talented Premier League class players then it all should work out well - shouldn’t it?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Aug 2020 18:54

Notts Royal It’s the pure arrogance of Dai that gets me...the arrogance that he expects his club to be promoted and the naiveity in how that goal is achieved. Chucking money doesn’t always work, in fact it rarely works in the Championship. It’s a vastly competitive league and it generally takes years of building. Wolves was a 1 off. He doesn’t understand the English game and fires those who do from their jobs. Utter clown

Chucking money works better than you might think. Historically there has been a strong positive correlation between a club’s wage bill and their final league position. Before Wolves, remember Middlesbrough, Leicester, Cardiff, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Southampton, Reading, West Ham a bunch of times, West Brom even more, QPR, Newcastle again, Reading again, Wigan, Portsmouth, Fulham...

The issue now is that most clubs are throwing money at it. Once upon a time if you lived beyond your means you probably got promoted. Now everyone’s trying it, so lots of people are failing.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 29 Aug 2020 19:04

Sutekh
Lower West
Westwood52 Apparently he likes to keep the ball on the deck at all costs

Sounds rather familiar. We create few enough chances as it is.

Caught what various journos said about his teams on BBC Berks

Listening to journalistic comment on BBC Berks earlier about Mr Paunovic’s teams the bits I remember were

1. Teams lack tempo
2. Possession style straight through the middle
3. Prefers 4-2-3-1
4. Tactically no identity as the team tries to adapt to counter the opposition

If all that is true then I think Reading are going to have the same old issues in struggling to create anything and the biggest worry is if there is a lack of tempo, as other teams will just eat you alive.

Anyone else catch any other comments about the style and performance of his teams?

Of course, on the upside, if Reading suddenly manage to acquire 6-8 very talented Premier League class players then it all should work out well - shouldn’t it?

I guess our team DOES lack tempo, so if he can get our team to win games with this style we're in for a winner given our current squad. No point getting a manager who plays with tempo if we don't have fast players, no?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 29 Aug 2020 19:05

Notts Royal It’s the pure arrogance of Dai that gets me...the arrogance that he expects his club to be promoted and the naiveity in how that goal is achieved. Chucking money doesn’t always work, in fact it rarely works in the Championship. It’s a vastly competitive league and it generally takes years of building. Wolves was a 1 off. He doesn’t understand the English game and fires those who do from their jobs. Utter clown

Wolves built toward that promotion carefully for a couple of years

434 posts