Ian Royal
9%

Total votes: 148
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Veljko Paunović - Whelmgauge

by Franchise FC » 03 Feb 2021 13:38

Snowflake Royal
Nameless They could literally just walk away.

How? They own the club. They can't choose to just stop owning the club.

They can, of course, choose to stop throwing money at it, but as owners they'd be liable for it's costs.

Er, that's not strictly true of course.

Each of the businesses in the group are limited companies aren't they - emphasis on the word limited.

Unless they've been fraudulent, there's nothing they can be held accountable for unless they've given any personal guarantees (more fool them if they have)

They could lose what they've invested, but can;t be forced to put more in (even if Liam Moore turns up on their doorstep)

Do you own any shares ?
If you do and the company goes into liquidation, they aren't coming for you for the running costs are they ?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Feb 2021 14:00

I have to say that I was very underwhelmed by the appointment.

In truth I was not overwhelmed by the first 8 unbeaten games as I could not help thinking a lot of that had to do with Bowen's work last season. But where Pauno has been fantastic is to get through the bad patch from game 9 onwards and bring the team back to good form. To me we are playing much better now than we were in those first 8 games (when we were decidedly lucky at times) and now I approach every game with a sense of excitement, as I genuinely feel we can win every game. The team is oozing with confidence. And Pauno must get all the credit for this and so now I am truly whelmed.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Feb 2021 14:01

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Nameless They could literally just walk away.

How? They own the club. They can't choose to just stop owning the club.

They can, of course, choose to stop throwing money at it, but as owners they'd be liable for it's costs.

Each of the businesses in the group are limited companies aren't they - emphasis on the word limited.

Unless they've been fraudulent, there's nothing they can be held accountable for unless they've given any personal guarantees (more fool them if they have)

They could lose what they've invested, but can;t be forced to put more in (even if Liam Moore turns up on their doorstep)

Do you own any shares ?
If you do and the company goes into liquidation, they aren't coming for you for the running costs are they ?

No idea. But the company would have to go into liquidation in that case.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Feb 2021 14:03

andrew1957 I have to say that I was very underwhelmed by the appointment.

In truth I was not overwhelmed by the first 8 unbeaten games as I could not help thinking a lot of that had to do with Bowen's work last season. But where Pauno has been fantastic is to get through the bad patch from game 9 onwards and bring the team back to good form. To me we are playing much better now than we were in those first 8 games (when we were decidedly lucky at times) and now I approach every game with a sense of excitement, as I genuinely feel we can win every game. The team is oozing with confidence. And Pauno must get all the credit for this and so now I am truly whelmed.

Yeah I agree, we're playing much better now than we did in the first run of games. To be honest, in the 4 games we lost in a row conceding a bunch of goals, I actually thought we were playing pretty well as well (we were certainly the better team against Stoke), just silly mistakes costing us. We seemed to have continued that way of playing whilst cutting out (most of) the silly mistakes.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Feb 2021 14:08

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal How? They own the club. They can't choose to just stop owning the club.

Do you own any shares ?

That was an example.
If the company is in trouble the most they can do is ASK shareholders for more funds - no-one can demand any more than the value of the shareholding

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Feb 2021 14:11

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC Er, that's not strictly true of course.

Do you own any shares ?

That was an example.
If the company is in trouble the most they can do is ASK shareholders for more funds - no-one can demand any more than the value of the shareholding

This seems to be going off on a rather unrelated tangent.

To walk away they have to find a buyer or fold the club/administration etc.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Feb 2021 14:28

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal No idea. But the company would have to go into liquidation in that case.

That was an example.

This seems to be going off on a rather unrelated tangent.

To walk away they have to find a buyer or fold the club/administration etc.

No they don't
All they have to do is find a couple of people to serve as directors. It's possible to require only one.
Directors do not have to be shareholders (unless the memorandum and articles demand) and shareholders, even if they own 100% of the shares, do not have to be directors. Given the proportion of shares they own they are entitled to appoint directors so it's usual/normal for large shareholders to have a seat on the board. If the large shareholder has more than 50% of the shares they can simply appoint a director in either an ordinary general or extraordinary general meeting. Might take them 21 days.

And it's hardly unrelated. You said they couldn't walk away - they clearly can (although I don't get the impression they would)

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Feb 2021 14:42

Hendo I am decidedly overwhelmed at how well he is doing.

Never expected this season to go as well as it has.

This.

And I don't know how anyone can not be.
We won 15 games last season, and 7 at home. It's 3rd February, and we've already won 14 games, including 9 at home. We've ended that home goals problem (26 in 23 last season, 22 in 13 so far this), whilst also conceding fewer per game overall. We started the last match with five Academy graduates (I think - McIntyre, Holmes, Olise, Rinomhota, Richards), and ultimately this is the same squad plus Josh Laurent (the impact of Semedo and Esteves has been good, but minimal).
Paunovic deserves heaps of credit for this. He's even made Aluko pretty good again.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Feb 2021 15:44

Just stumbled back across this article that someone linked to when he joined. Enjoy again!!!

https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2020/08/29/championship/1034450-reading-fc-why-hiring-veljko-paunovic-is-a-mistake.amp.html

"Tactical disasterclass"
"Losing the dressing room"
Apparently he's shit at bringing young players through as well.

I know that things just sometimes click because of a load of unpredictable factors but I'm struggling to think how this article could be more wrong. I suspect the author is of Bosnian heritage.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Feb 2021 16:06

I really like Pauno, this feels like Jose Gomes but actually getting results and playing good football, unlike Stamball.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2021 16:08

From Despair To Where? Just stumbled back across this article that someone linked to when he joined. Enjoy again!!!

https://www.vavel.com/en/football/2020/08/29/championship/1034450-reading-fc-why-hiring-veljko-paunovic-is-a-mistake.amp.html

"Tactical disasterclass"

I know that things just sometimes click because of a load of unpredictable factors but I'm struggling to think how this article could be more wrong. I suspect the author is of Bosnian heritage.

I do think back sometimes to all those Chicago Fire fans telling us what a disaster it was going to be, maybe they just weren't very good?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Feb 2021 16:26

Hendo
From Despair To Where? Just stumbled back across this article that someone linked to when he joined. Enjoy again!!!

"Tactical disasterclass"

I do think back sometimes to all those Chicago Fire fans telling us what a disaster it was going to be, maybe they just weren't very good?

I can't remember who it was but someone familiar with Chicago Fire described them as a "dumpster fire"

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2021 16:31

tidus_mi2
Hendo

"Tactical disasterclass"

I can't remember who it was but someone familiar with Chicago Fire described them as a "dumpster fire"

Certainly seems that way.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Feb 2021 17:23

tidus_mi2 I really like Pauno, this feels like Jose Gomes but actually getting results and playing good football, unlike Stamball.

Got a real rapport with the players, a lot like Klopp

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 04 Feb 2021 18:46

tidus_mi2 I really like Pauno, this feels like Jose Gomes but actually getting results and playing good football, unlike Stamball.

So actually nothing like any of our previous four or five managers 8)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Feb 2021 19:17

tidus_mi2
Hendo

"Tactical disasterclass"

Yes, there was a lot of issues behind the scenes, including over their stadium.

The following isn't very complimentary to VP (fortunately their disaster is our success!) but it does cover a lot of the background and history behind the 'dumpster fire'. It might also help explain why VP didn't succeed there but is doing a great job for us.

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2019/06/13/chicago-fire-fix-nelson-rodriguez-veljko-paunovic/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Mar 2021 07:24

Whether whelmed or not whelmed, VP is now more or less nailed on to be the first Reading manager since 2016/17 to survive a complete season. In fact he’ll be only the second Reading manager to achieve that distinction in the last 7 seasons :lol:

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 11 Mar 2021 09:53

Sutekh Whether whelmed or not whelmed, VP is now more or less nailed on to be the first Reading manager since 2016/17 to survive a complete season. In fact he’ll be only the second Reading manager to achieve that distinction in the last 7 seasons :lol:

Wow, I knew it had been grim but that's an incredible stat!

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Mar 2021 14:25

Sutekh Whether whelmed or not whelmed, VP is now more or less nailed on to be the first Reading manager since 2016/17 to survive a complete season. In fact he’ll be only the second Reading manager to achieve that distinction in the last 7 seasons :lol:

Didn't someone else manage us in the Colchester league cup game?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 11 Mar 2021 22:16

Mid Sussex Royal

Didn't someone else manage us in the Colchester league cup game?

Paunovic was the manager at the time but was still under quarantine after travelling to the country so I still think it counts as a whole season.

242 posts