Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Veljko Paunović - Whelmgauge

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2020 13:41

paultheroyal
Notts Royal
Old Man Andrews How do you know this?

Because as Dai is risking it this season we will need to be in the playoffs by Christmas at least otherwise he’ll be gone. Don’t car what additions we make, this squad is nowhere near the playoffs.

So whilst certain fans are getting very excited, the sensible ones of us are getting very anxious at the prospect of the impending FFP that we’ll face thanks to our glorious owner!

Strongly suggest you go and have a lay down and step away from the keyboard.

We have literally just cleared out a number of players whose wages amount to over £150k a week. Apart from Laurent and Ejaria literally nothing has happened.

Excited fans can also be sensible ones and i will include myself in that and look forward to what this season holds.

Also, it is still quite possible that we receive big enough bids for any of Swift, Meite or Moore and end up clawing back more than we spend this window.

Notts Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Notts Royal » 03 Sep 2020 08:58

paultheroyal
Notts Royal

Because as Dai is risking it this season we will need to be in the playoffs by Christmas at least otherwise he’ll be gone. Don’t car what additions we make, this squad is nowhere near the playoffs.

So whilst certain fans are getting very excited, the sensible ones of us are getting very anxious at the prospect of the impending FFP that we’ll face thanks to our glorious owner!

We have literally just cleared out a number of players whose wages amount to over £150k a week. Apart from Laurent and Ejaria literally nothing has happened.

Excited fans can also be sensible ones and i will include myself in that and look forward to what this season holds.

So are we not allowed to be absolutely fuming by all this Paul? Bare in mind that both you and I will be supporting this club long after Dai has oxf*rd off, so it’s in our interests that he gets this right. Baring in mind, this strategy of signing loads of Name players has never worked with us, the likelihood is we will have a FFP points deduction in the next season or so. Are you not oxf*rd off with how Dai is playing around with your club?

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 03 Sep 2020 09:07

Notts Royal
paultheroyal
Notts Royal

So are we not allowed to be absolutely fuming by all this Paul? Bare in mind that both you and I will be supporting this club long after Dai has oxf*rd off, so it’s in our interests that he gets this right. Baring in mind, this strategy of signing loads of Name players has never worked with us, the likelihood is we will have a FFP points deduction in the next season or so. Are you not oxf*rd off with how Dai is playing around with your club?

Have to say I’m with Paul on this. They’ve reduced the wage considerably, have only signed Laurent and taken up the option to buy Ejaria. The Riquelme deal looks like a loan too.

You may have an argument if we had signed another load of overpaid dross, but they’ve stuck to the ‘young and hungry’ plan thus far.

When you consider the slimmed down squad will be moving in to the new buildings at Bearwood soon, plus they have a new manager to impress, there’s plenty to be optimistic about.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Sep 2020 09:41

Notts Royal
paultheroyal
Notts Royal

Why are you ‘fuming’ about something that hasn’t happened ?
I really don’t understand why people read something on a twitter and go bonkers. Wait and see, we’ve gone to lengths to avoid getting into FFP trouble and continue to do so, we’ve not been linked to any expensive signings this summer. Why not react to what actually happens rather than what some teenager on Twitter tells you might happen ?

As for us being around long after the current owners move on, well I was a fan when we were a rubbish lower division side with no thought of being in the second tier. I was a fan when we nearly became the Thames Valley Royals. I was a fan when SJM regularly told us how dire our finances were. I saw us break our transfer record on dross (Fae, Halford, Steve Moran). By all means be concerned, be cynical, but the current situation is far from the worst position we’ve been in, far from unusual, far from unique. So forgive a few people not becoming suicidal because of unfounded rumours about what might happen....

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 Sep 2020 09:49

There's a lot to be optimistic about.

Maxwell has a lot of money, you don't know what he's going to do. Just because you've read something in the Post about merging with Oxford and moving to Didcot doesn't mean you should believe it and go bonkers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2020 11:03

Regarding FFP - the club are essentially shifted over to Bearwood now - do the club still own Hogwood? Would imagine if so, that will be sold for a fair few quid in the not too distant future.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2020 11:06

Stranded Regarding FFP - the club are essentially shifted over to Bearwood now - do the club still own Hogwood? Would imagine if so, that will be sold for a fair few quid in the not too distant future.

Would be looking at an easy £10m if we own all of the land there.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2020 11:13

Old Man Andrews
Stranded Regarding FFP - the club are essentially shifted over to Bearwood now - do the club still own Hogwood? Would imagine if so, that will be sold for a fair few quid in the not too distant future.

Minimum I would say, pretty decent location for housing.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Sep 2020 11:23

Notts Royal
paultheroyal
Notts Royal

But my angst is this trigger reaction from fans which is no worse than some perceive the trigger reaction shown by the club when appointing managers.

End of the day he is running a business, a business where Mr Dai wants to see it at the top. He is trusting those people around him. We might not like them people but its his club and his money. We are lucky to have an owner who appears to have very deep pockets and throwing an obscene amount of money at the club. Dont forget all the other things that have happened under his ownership, Bearwood is an outstanding facility, world class and envy of alot of clubs including Premier League teams, i know this as a fact. Away travel etc etc - not many clubs are in our position.

His first approach has not worked. He is clearly reviewing that approach but as i and others have said alot of good has happened over the summer with the clear out. Bowen has been treated unfairly however something clearly has gone on there that we will never know about. I liked Bowen, done a great job however the fall away at the end of the season probably cost him a longer stint.

This new manager could be absolute dross, he could also be an absolute gem. Lets get behind him and the owners. Right now the club need Mr Dai.

On paper that is a very exciting and young squad we have forming, with more to come. I will enjoy the season, will enjoy it more when allowed back into the stadium and would ask other fans to follow a similar approach.

Its never dull being a Reading FC fan.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Sep 2020 12:06

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Don’t think the club ever owned Hogwood. I believe SJM bought it, possibly sold it on to Anton, no idea after that

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2020 12:09

Nameless
Stranded
Old Man Andrews Would be looking at an easy £10m if we own all of the land there.

Don’t think the club ever owned Hogwood. I believe SJM bought it, possibly sold it on to Anton, no idea after that

I thought they owned some of it, I was under the impression it was the car park, changing rooms and pitches. There is extra land behind that which must be privately owned or council owned.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Sep 2020 12:17

Old Man Andrews
Nameless
Stranded

I thought they owned some of it, I was under the impression it was the car park, changing rooms and pitches. There is extra land behind that which must be privately owned or council owned.

The training ground as opposed to the rest of the garrison was, I’m pretty sure, bought personally by SJM. Not sure how or why it would have come back under club ownership when it’s always been potentially valuable and the owner wou,d have sensibly seen it as a long term investment.
. I suspect someone at STAR would have a definitive answer or for £3 you can inspect the title Deeds at the Land registry

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 03 Sep 2020 12:44

paultheroyal
Notts Royal
paultheroyal

But my angst is this trigger reaction from fans which is no worse than some perceive the trigger reaction shown by the club when appointing managers.

End of the day he is running a business, a business where Mr Dai wants to see it at the top. He is trusting those people around him. We might not like them people but its his club and his money. We are lucky to have an owner who appears to have very deep pockets and throwing an obscene amount of money at the club. Dont forget all the other things that have happened under his ownership, Bearwood is an outstanding facility, world class and envy of alot of clubs including Premier League teams, i know this as a fact. Away travel etc etc - not many clubs are in our position.

His first approach has not worked. He is clearly reviewing that approach but as i and others have said alot of good has happened over the summer with the clear out. Bowen has been treated unfairly however something clearly has gone on there that we will never know about. I liked Bowen, done a great job however the fall away at the end of the season probably cost him a longer stint.

This new manager could be absolute dross, he could also be an absolute gem. Lets get behind him and the owners. Right now the club need Mr Dai.

On paper that is a very exciting and young squad we have forming, with more to come. I will enjoy the season, will enjoy it more when allowed back into the stadium and would ask other fans to follow a similar approach.

Its never dull being a Reading FC fan.

Given the quality of football on offer some would disagree. People go to matches be entertained.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Sep 2020 13:52

Nameless
Old Man Andrews
Nameless

The training ground as opposed to the rest of the garrison was, I’m pretty sure, bought personally by SJM. Not sure how or why it would have come back under club ownership when it’s always been potentially valuable and the owner wou,d have sensibly seen it as a long term investment.
. I suspect someone at STAR would have a definitive answer or for £3 you can inspect the title Deeds at the Land registry

Possible we don't though just read the statement about Howe moving roles and it said he would take the lead in "future plans for Hogwood", so we may have some financial interest in it.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 03 Sep 2020 14:05

Stranded
Nameless
Old Man Andrews I thought they owned some of it, I was under the impression it was the car park, changing rooms and pitches. There is extra land behind that which must be privately owned or council owned.

Possible we don't though just read the statement about Howe moving roles and it said he would take the lead in "future plans for Hogwood", so we may have some financial interest in it.

I too remember it being SJM who bought it from the Army. Pretty sure he doesn't own it anymore, no idea who does now.

Certainly with the other garrison aka Aborfield Village housing development, there's scope for it to be sold to a developer. Wonder if there's grater value for it to be sold as a training ground, a la Wigan's resent sale to Preston. No idea what standard Wycombe's training facilities are, for instance.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 03 Sep 2020 15:04

Interesting comment in Star’s analysis of last years’saccounts

‘In two years the club has profited by £14.7m from making a profit on selling fixed assets. In 2018 this is likely to have been the stadium itself; in 2019 it appears to have been the training ground at Hogwood.’

Now I think this is an error and it should say Bearwood.
However if it is correct then it suggests we did own Hogwood but have sold it.
If it is an error then you would question why we would sell our new training ground but not the one we were vacating. One reason might be because we didn’t own Hogwood. The other could be that the owners preferred the accounting solutions n of selling Bearwood to themselves above realising some cash from the actual sale of a no longer required asset.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2020 18:47

paultheroyal
Notts Royal

Shame we realistically needed to reduce it by about £220k a week.

And of course, if we're not spending big to go up this season, why the managerial change?
Last edited by Snowflake Royal on 03 Sep 2020 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Sep 2020 18:48

Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal
Notts Royal

You're done with the football club Ian, remember? Step away from the team board.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Sep 2020 18:49

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

You're done with the football club Ian, remember? Step away from the team board.

Shhhhh!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2020 18:52

Old Man Andrews
Snowflake Royal
paultheroyal

You or Woodley saying something doesn't make it true.

242 posts