132 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Colchester United (h) sponsored by Callum & Sam

by Sutekh » 02 Sep 2020 15:21

When : Saturday 5th September 2020, 3pm, 8pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

A mere 45 days or so have elapsed since the 54th and final game of last season but the club finds itself setting out on a new journey with a lovely clean slate.

A week ago or two ago things looked reasonably steady with everyone seemingly knuckling down to the likelihood of a season of solid if uninspiring season of steady upper mid-table football but, what the heck, we all forgot this is Reading and Reading has a new way, i.e. wait to as near to the start of a season as possible then throw everything in the air and see what happens.

And so on this occasion the owners would appear to be wanting to try and push things much more towards and attempt at promotion yet do it in a manner which catches as many people off guard as possible, and so instead of replacing Mr Bowen with someone who has a track record of experience and or success in English football the club have appointed a Serbian gentleman who once coached the Serbian Under-20s to success in a World Cup competition.

Now that might be a masterstroke - success on the cheap - but while he may impress greatly in an interview Veljko Paunovic's cv doesn't help easily get supporters onside leaving a lot of :| about which means if the club gets yet another slow start to a season there's going to be nothing in the "goodwill tank" to give the benefit of doubt to the manager which in turn won't help the home atmosphere once the supporter is allowed back in to the ground which in turn won't help the team get results etc. Of course if a handful of exciting looking players are added to the clubs ranks in the next week or two things might be easier for him but it remains a big ask for a relative unknown to turn a talented but underachieving squad into promotion candidates.

Reading, it would seem currently, are likely to have 20 year old attacking midfielder Rodrigo Riquelme Reche on loan from Atletico Madrid available for the game Saturday together with other new signing Josh Laurent plus Ovie Ejaria able to make his debut as a permanent fixture at the club. Definitely out are Yakou Meite (suspended) plus Tom McIntye and George Puscas (international duty), I would be surprised if there were any other signings made in time to play in the game and my guess is the club will opt to play as strong a side as possible before the league kick off at Derby on 12th September.

Colchester will be without Luke Gambin who has been called up for Malta. The name most known to Reading fans though is Callum Harriott who made 22 appearance for the Us last season, scoring 3 goals.

Referee

27 year old Joshua Smith makes his debut in a Reading game after only one season on the league list as a referee. In his first season he took charge of 26 games and managed to book 81 and send off 6, which is around 3 bookings and 0.2 dismissals in each game.

Historically

There have actually been 6 games between the two clubs in the League Cup, Reading have won on 2 occasions but have only actually knocked Colchester out once due to the previous two legged nature of the competition's early rounds. Last time out in the competition against Colchester (2015) though Reading won 1-0. The two home games with Colchester in the competition have resulted in Reading winning 4-3 (1983) and Colchester winning 3-0 (1970).

League wise the two clubs are fairly evenly matched with 22 wins for Reading and 19 for Colchester over 26 seasons shared together. At home that's 16 Reading wins v 6 for Colchester.

How to follow the game

1. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  2. Ring/text a mate for updates
  3. Use an iFollow subscription
  4. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Colchester United (h) sponsored by Callum & Sam

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2020 15:41

Thanks babe x

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 02 Sep 2020 15:42

Why are we playing Colchester? They didn't go up from League 1 as far as I recall.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 02 Sep 2020 15:45

The two home games with Colchester in the competition have resulted in Reading winning 4-3 (1983) and Colchester winning 3-0 (1970).

For those with long memories -

The 1969 game was another time when Reading threw everything up in the air - fresh, if not quite brand new, manager in Jack Mansell, first go under the new pylon floodlights, loads of new signings like the Wagstaff brothers and Tom Jenkins, new (old) blue and white hoops shirts. Obvs got beat 0-3 by a club from an even lower division.

1983 - this time we were the lower division team. Trevor Senior scored the best hat trick of his career incl two long range screamers but we lost on away goals by virtue of their third away goal scored late in extra time. What a waste of a hat trick.

Omens not good for Saturday.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Sep 2020 16:18

NewCorkSeth Thanks babe x

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 02 Sep 2020 16:20

:oops: :oops: :oops:

JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo

by JoeyJoeJoeJnrShabadoo » 02 Sep 2020 16:25

Thanks

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Sep 2020 16:45

Excellent write up as usual Sutz. The ref is bloody young.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Sep 2020 19:01

Simmops Why are we playing Colchester? They didn't go up from League 1 as far as I recall.

The season is starting with the League Cup 1st round.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Sep 2020 19:43

Obvious statement but all seems very low key is this season. Normally be building up to the start of the season for weeks, looking forward to the first game. Genuinely feel nearly nothing for this

Hopefully the enthusiasm will come back when the league games start up

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 02 Sep 2020 20:31

Amateur referee.....

I'm raging.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 04 Sep 2020 11:17

Not many options for us at the moment with Meite suspended and McIntyre and Puscas out. I guess it would make sense to mirror the friendly XI as much as possible

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rinomhota
Laurent

Swift
Olise

Joao

Southwood
Araruna
Dorsett
Samuels/Aluko
Ejaria
Baldock
McNulty

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Sep 2020 11:21

URZZZZ Not many options for us at the moment with Meite suspended and McIntyre and Puscas out. I guess it would make sense to mirror the friendly XI as much as possible

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rinomhota
Laurent

Swift
Olise

Joao

Southwood
Araruna
Dorsett
Samuels/Aluko
Ejaria
Baldock
McNulty

Think we have to have a strong line up like the one you suggested. This is effectively a preseason friendly imo, all about game time and fitness.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 04 Sep 2020 11:23

A rare Chris Gunter goal in that 1-0 win at Col U in 2015. Good finish too, from an angle through the legs of the keeper iirc

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 04 Sep 2020 11:59

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ Not many options for us at the moment with Meite suspended and McIntyre and Puscas out. I guess it would make sense to mirror the friendly XI as much as possible

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rinomhota
Laurent

Swift
Olise

Joao

Southwood
Araruna
Dorsett
Samuels/Aluko
Ejaria
Baldock
McNulty

Think we have to have a strong line up like the one you suggested. This is effectively a preseason friendly imo, all about game time and fitness.

It is until we lose :lol: Imagine the meltdown if we can't beat League Two opposition after all that's gone on in the last week

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Sep 2020 12:04

kwik-silva
Old Man Andrews

Rafael

Yiadom
Holmes
Morrison
Moore
Richards

Rinomhota
Laurent

Swift
Olise

Joao

Southwood
Araruna
Dorsett
Samuels/Aluko
Ejaria
Baldock
McNulty

It is until we lose :lol: Imagine the meltdown if we can't beat League Two opposition after all that's gone on in the last week

Yes no doubt there will be a very hostile response but I wouldn't be too upset about being knocked out. I would rather our squad gets the rest time that comes with being eliminated from the Cup.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Sep 2020 14:16

It’ll be a 4-2-3-1 formation, got to be as near to an expected first XI as possible

Rafael
Yiadom
Richards
Moore
Morrison
Laurent
Rinomhota
Swift
Ejaria
Olise
Joao

Hoping new bloke has already devised a plan B though, ready for Derby after Joao gets injured again.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 04 Sep 2020 15:28

I also remember walking from the town station to Colchester's old ground in the drizzle for an FA Cup game when they were non-League....and of course we lost.

:x

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Sep 2020 15:33

Up until two minutes ago I thought Billy the Fish played for Colchester :oops:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Sep 2020 15:37

Mr Angry I also remember walking from the town station to Colchester's old ground in the drizzle for an FA Cup game when they were non-League....and of course we lost.

:x

IIRC their pitch had a dip in it and I remember a game where the game was in doubt after heavy rain.
It might have been near the end of the 2001 season when we were already in the play-offs and Jamie scored in a game that we somehow contrived to lose.

Still this is September and I do remember us thrashing them 7-0 in September 1957.

132 posts