BFiFollow - Colchester

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFiFollow - Colchester

by andrew1957 » 07 Sep 2020 13:48

SCIAG My concern with Olise is end product. He got an assist in the last match but that’s as many as he got all last season. Danny Loader got a lot of criticism for not taking his chances and they play in similar positions.

Extent to which Olise is a more creative player and therefore depends on the forwards taking their chances, but I would like to see more of him in the final third. He’s clearly got a lot of class but let’s see that turn into goals and assists.

Edit: also stamina but that shouldn’t be too hard to solve

Olise is only 18 years old. He will need time to develop and has done really well to break through at such a young age so don't expect too much too soon.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 07 Sep 2020 14:06

andrew1957
SCIAG My concern with Olise is end product. He got an assist in the last match but that’s as many as he got all last season. Danny Loader got a lot of criticism for not taking his chances and they play in similar positions.

Extent to which Olise is a more creative player and therefore depends on the forwards taking their chances, but I would like to see more of him in the final third. He’s clearly got a lot of class but let’s see that turn into goals and assists.

Olise is only 18 years old. He will need time to develop and has done really well to break through at such a young age so don't expect too much too soon.

Agree with this - and the best way for him to learn is to play.

I think he can do a job deeper, but I'd be worried about being overrun with him there against better opposition. Assume he'll be one of the wider players behind the striker with Ejaria (or maybe Swift?) in the middle.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Sep 2020 14:06

SCIAG
Westwood52
Nameless
He’ll get a club, there is still ages to go before the deadline and even after that he can still sign. He may only get a short contract, he may not be at the level he hopes and he may find mortgage payments remain tight . I’d not be averse to us offering him some kind of deal. Worst case we could invite him to train with us and put a short term deal on the table if we think he’d add cover until January

My understanding was that he was on an unproved out of the Academy deal of £60k a year.In January he was offered half that;which was not enough to pay his mortgage.When he got into the team post lockdown and showed up well,he was offered his original deal.At his age he is going into his best years and wanted more.At that point Bowen dropped him.Not sure what the sort of wages a L1 or L2 would be on ? Probably around £60 K ?

Yeah about right for L2. L1 is better.
a couple of seasons ago it was well known that Coventry, in League 2, did not have anyone earning more than £1,500 per week, or £75k per year that season as the owners tried to balance the books and that was deemed very low. Osho could probably get £60k a year in the conference

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 07 Sep 2020 14:15

Snowball Colchester exploded our FBs being in advanced positions

this was a huge problem under Gomes. Most goals we conceded were as a result of full backs being too high, then centre backs being drawn wide to cover and no-one in midfield tracking the inevitable runner into the box into the space vacated by the CB being dragged wide

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Sep 2020 14:34

3points

this was a huge problem under Gomes. Most goals we conceded were as a result of full backs being too high, then centre backs being drawn wide to cover and no-one in midfield tracking the inevitable runner into the box into the space vacated by the CB being dragged wide

Can't remember whether it was 'most goals' but we certainly got caught out many many times that way, would not want to see those mistakes made again.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2020 17:58

Hound
3points

Can't remember whether it was 'most goals' but we certainly got caught out many many times that way, would not want to see those mistakes made again.

Seem to recall I did an unusually well received critique of our problems last season under Gomes based largely around the full backs playing too high and us getting torn apart in the channels because the CBs couldn't cover.

Big worry for me again. BUT if we play Rino and Laurent we may get away with it better as they both showed good signs of covering the position well as we played out against Colchester.

Needs both of them though. One deep player can't simultaneously cover LB and RB and we have to avoid playing with our CBs all at least 15 yards from each other.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Sep 2020 17:59

andrew1957

He definitely needed to add more end product to his game based on last season.

But he was certainly producing it against Colchester in the second half when he was pushed up centrally.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 07 Sep 2020 21:34

Millsy
royalp-we
Millsy
Well Hallelujah, someone else not afraid to dish out 10s

I gave João a 10 the first time I saw him play for us not just for the performance but what he brought to the team. Was very excited to see him gel in. I've not seen a 10 since for any player since, including from me.

Good to see I'm not alone and he's the sort of player who clearly really dazzles when he can. Let's hope he can stay both fit and consistent, two known issues with him sadly.

Anyway... Anyone have any idea if halftime chat/subs/ethos was in any way Pauno?

Initial selection and performance night have been rubbish but the sign of a good manager for me is reacting to a game. If that was O'Shea and the other chap then that's our next manager right there.

The Colchester manager said they heard the Reading players getting a right bollocking at HT. Most likely from O’Shea.

I Highly doubt that Pauno would have picked the team and then had no input to changes throughout the game - although in quarantine he would have been in contact throughout issuing instructions. It’s kind of his job...

Well exactly you’d have thought so. He’d be watching live and would easily be able to zoom/teams/skype in to the dressing room at half time as needed.

So unless I hear otherwise I’m assuming most agree this was Paunos first game fully in charge, so credit where it’s due, he did pretty good to turn it around.

O'Shea didn't agree. He said in his interview with Dellor that the manager picked the team and he and Eddie were in charge of subs and tactics during the match.